What are the attachments for the angle grinder
Angle Grinder Discs (Angle Grinder)
Angle grinder (angle grinder, angle grinder) is a tool with which it is possible to perform several types of work. In each case, the use of additional devices is required. special discs and nozzles. Which circle to choose in a particular case?
The sizes of discs designed for an angle grinder may vary. Each of them has certain diameters. internal and external. The inner one is linked to the fit size of the angle grinder. For household grinders, it is the same. 22.2 mm. The depth of cut or the area of the ground surface depends on the outer diameter of the wheel. A larger blade gives a deeper cut. Outer disc diameters for angle grinder: 115, 125, 150, 180, 230. Wheels have different thicknesses. When choosing, you need to give preference to those that are thicker. Thin disc will wear out faster.
Classification by type of work
By the type of work performed, circles to an angle grinder are:
- Cut-off. They are designed for making cuts, rough cuts, etc. The cutting disc has a cutting edge that is a solid circle or is divided into segments.
- Sawing. The cutting edge has teeth. An angle grinder is used to trim many types of wood products and wood substitutes. To get the job done, you need a saw blade. This type of circles is designed for smooth, clean cuts of solid boards, plywood, parquet, drywall. It is also suitable for laminate, fiberboard, chipboard (including laminated), as well as the selection of grooves in gas silicate.
- Rough (grinding wheels). Such nozzles remove the old layer of paint, varnish, primer from the surface to be treated, and polish.
- Stripping. This is a kind of peeling. These include disc metal brushes. They can remove rust and other stubborn dirt.
- Petal circles. They are also referred to as stripping. The flap disc is used for processing metal, wood, plastic products, cleaning welded seams and burrs, removing rust, etc. A flap disc for an angle grinder consists of plates overlapped around the circumference, according to the principle of flower petals. Varieties: end, batch, with a mandrel. The flap disc for an angle grinder is designed for processing at an angle or normal flat. There are two subspecies of it. straight and conical. A straight flap disc is needed when grinding over a large area. Flap cone disc is suitable for finishing seams, joints, etc. The flap (folded) batch disc is also suitable for work on a large area. Grinding wheels with a mandrel for an angle grinder are used when working with cavities. They help to achieve the highest machining accuracy.
- For cutting seams. They are used when making joints in concrete, asphalt, etc. With such attachments, the grinder is also suitable for this work.
- Polishing. Such wheels are used for the final polishing of surfaces. These include replaceable polishing felt and felt attachments for an angle grinder with Velcro, as well as an emery wheel.
With angle grinders, the grain size plays an important role. The higher its value, the finer the size of the abrasive particles, which means the finer the grinding:
- 40–80. preliminary processing;
- 100–120. alignment;
- 180-240. final sanding.
Grit sizes for flexible diamond polishing wheels: 50, 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000 (finest grit). Grit is indicated by the marking on the back.
There are four types of diamond cutting discs:
- Solid (“Crown”). They are designed for wet cuts only. The cutting edge is continuous. This type of circles provides faster work performance, makes even cuts without chips.
- Segmental. Segmented discs have evenly spaced slots on the cutting edge directed towards the center. They divide the disk into equal parts. segments. Segment wheels are used when performing dry cuts.
- Combined (“Turbo”). The disc edge has a serrated shape, consisting of oblique grooves. This type of disc is versatile, suitable for dry and wet cuts.
- Turbo segment. Their edge is also jagged, but it is divided into segments, like a segmented disc. Suitable for dry cutting. Special shape improves productivity.
Many types of materials (concrete, ceramics, etc.) generate a lot of dust during cutting. It is advisable to avoid harmful consequences for the person performing the work, as well as the deposition of dust on the surrounding objects. Therefore, the technique of “wet” cutting is used. During work, make sure that the cutting edge is moistened with water, then there is less dust.
On sale you can find wheels for an angle grinder with a flange. The flange fixes the circle reliably and quickly, increases rigidity, reduces vibration, increases machining accuracy, expands the capabilities of the tool, allows you to process “dead zones”, flat corners.
Types of discs
What kind of discs are there for an angle grinder? Wheels for an angle grinder are classified according to the following parameters:
- type of work;
- the material from which the circle is made;
- the form;
There are special circles. for wood, metal, concrete, artificial and natural stone, etc. The marking indicates which material the nozzle is suitable for. Each type can be suitable for several types of processed surfaces. For example, a stone disc for an angle grinder cuts concrete, brick, ceramics, paving slabs, etc. But it is impossible to cut or grind metal in a circle on wood or a stainless steel nozzle on rough steel. The angle grinder can process, among other things, asphalt, plastic, glass, fiberglass. If necessary, you can find special discs for an angle grinder (angle grinder) for porcelain stoneware, granite, reinforced concrete, marble, ceramics, tiles, bricks, plastic. If you want to save money, it is preferable to look for a universal circle that processes several types of materials at once.
Angle grinder discs are made from several different materials. Each of them has its own characteristics. Types of wheels for angle grinders:
- Diamond. They are made of diamond-coated steel. This type of attachments cuts and grinds any metal, concrete, artificial and natural stone (including granite and marble), ceramics, glass. The diamond saw blade for the angle grinder provides the finest cut. You need to cut with small cuts. A new type of diamond attachments. polishing wheels on a flexible base (“turtles”). Their surface has a corrugated structure in the form of a turtle shell (hence the name). Flexible diamond discs are attached to the base. a hard rubber attachment with Velcro.
- Carbide. Circles of this type are also made of metal. They have high-carbon molybdenum steels with additions of chromium and nickel at the edges. They are used mainly for cutting metals, less often for wood. The angle grinder is suitable for many metals. There are carbide discs specially designed for thin, high carbon, stainless steel, aluminum.
- Abrasive. The base is thick waterproof latex paper with reinforcing mesh or fiber. A layer of abrasive material is applied to it. particles of aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide or corundum. The bond for the abrasive is resin or polymer. The grinding fiber disc for the angle grinder is used in conjunction with a backing pad made of plastic or rubber. It serves as a stop and cools the abrasive. Abrasive wheels are used as cutting, cleaning or roughing wheels. Fiber discs are suitable for working on wood and concrete, processing non-ferrous and ferrous metals. The abrasive is zirconate or aluminum oxide, ceramic grain. Fiber disc is ideal for rough removal of old paint from walls, facades and other surfaces.
- Metal wire stripping. Disc brushes made of this material are used to remove rust and other types of stubborn plaque.
Discs for an angle grinder can conditionally include backing pads. They are also called backing discs or poppet discs. Plates are made of plastic or rubber. They are used in combination with some grinding, polishing, grinding abrasive attachments, emery wheels. The need to use a platter should be clarified when buying a particular wheel for an angle grinder.
A huge selection of wheels for different purposes for an angle grinder allows you to perform a variety of tasks with this tool. From the assortment offered by manufacturers, you just need to choose the appropriate disc diameter, material, shape. It should be remembered that the high cost is associated with the higher strength of the wheel, which means that the service life of the tool sometimes increases several times.
Cut-off discs for angle grinder
Cutting discs are the most common replacement cutting tool for an angle grinder. there are a lot of them and they are able to overcome almost any material. The most used among them are discs for angle grinder for metal, stone, wood and diamond wheel.
- Disc for cutting metal. It should be understood that angle grinder cutting discs can vary in both their outer diameter and thickness. With the diameter of such nozzles, everything seems to be clear. in this regard, they are designed for small, medium and large tools. Accordingly, their diameter can be 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230mm. As for the thickness of these discs, it can vary from 1mm to 3.2mm. Large diameter discs are made thicker, small diameter discs can be of any thickness. This approach to business is associated both with the speed of rotation of the disk and with the expected loads on them.
Disc for angle grinder for metal
- Stone discs. They differ from their metal-cutting counterparts exclusively in the used abrasives.
- Discs for wood. In principle, the use of such discs is fraught with unpleasant consequences in the form of all kinds of injuries. you need to work with them very carefully. Compliance with safety measures when working with such replaceable attachments is in your best interest. Firstly, you should not remove the protective cover from the tool and, secondly, for an angle grinder it is better to use a disc for wood with a fine tooth. In no case should you cut wood with a strong feed. And it is better to refuse to use such attachments on a large instrument altogether. The ideal option for using such a tool would be to use it in conjunction with special equipment (a device for stationary attachment of an angle grinder).
Wood discs for angle grinder photo
- Diamond disc for angle grinder. This accessory can be called universal. it is able to cut almost any material, from soft to durable. Such nozzles are most widely used in the field of cutting porcelain stoneware, reinforced concrete, artificial and natural stone and tiles. There are different types of discs for each of these materials. some of them have a solid cutting edge, and some are ragged with slots. Also, depending on the purpose of these wheels, they can have a coarse or fine fraction of diamond dusting. For example, discs for an angle grinder for concrete have fine dusting and special transverse grooves along their entire diameter. In contrast, the diamond disc for a stone angle grinder has a solid cutting edge.
Diamond disc for angle grinder photo
Visually, the purpose of diamond discs is difficult to determine, therefore, when purchasing such attachments, carefully read the packaging. everything is written in detail about its purpose.
Discs and attachments for an angle grinder: their types and purpose
Agree, it is always more convenient to have one universal tool at hand than several specialized ones. the issue of transporting a huge amount of rarely used “junk” is immediately resolved. Instead of carrying around a lot of all kinds of tools, craftsmen transport a small set of them. The most versatile tool in this regard is the angle grinder. With its help, using different discs or attachments, you can carry out a fairly wide range of all kinds of operations. The angle grinder can cut almost any material, regardless of its strength, grind, polish, sharpen, peel. in general, perform all types of work for which you can use rotational movements. It is these nozzles that will be discussed in this article, in which, together with the website stroisovety.org, we will study all available discs for an angle grinder and understand their purpose.
How to choose discs and attachments for your angle grinder
Grinding and Polishing Discs for Angle Grinder
There are a lot of types of grinding and polishing wheels. depending on the required surface quality, discs with replaceable sandpaper, felt, and spongy, and even cloth can be installed on the angle grinder.
Grinding disc for angle grinder photo
Most of them require the use of special fine abrasive pastes or even liquids to work. For coarse grinding and deburring, fine abrasive grinding wheels are used. Grinding discs for an angle grinder allow you to bring to the required roughness almost any material. such attachments are used even in auto repair shops for polishing car bodies.
Flap disc for angle grinder
Tool Grinding Discs and Roughing Bits for Angle Grinder
Among this type of attachments, in order to expand the functionality of the angle grinder, three types stand out significantly. twisted cutters, abrasive grinding discs and diamond roughing.
- Twisted cones are used for roughing metal and stone surfaces. if we are talking about removing old paint or overwhelmingly dried cement mortar, then you can hardly find a better replacement tool. It is made in the form of steel cups, around the perimeter of which wire brushes are installed. The size of the wire can be different. depending on the roughness of processing, the cutter can be equipped with both thick and thin wire.
Roughing bits for angle grinder photo
- Abrasive grinding wheels. Such nozzles are designed for rough metal processing. with their help they clean welded seams and sharpen all kinds of cutting tools. As a rule, such attachments are most widely used on small angle grinders. this is due to ease of use. Such an attachment can be distinguished from cutting wheels by thickness and shape. their inner part has a depression, which allows the sharpening process to be performed with the flat part of the circle, and the thickness cannot be less than 5mm.
Grinding discs for angle grinder photo
- Diamond roughing discs. In principle, they are somewhat similar to abrasive sharpeners. Only in contrast to them, processing with a diamond tool of this type can be performed only with the periphery of the disk, on which the cutting edges are located. In contrast to its sharpening brother, a rough diamond is not intended for working with metals, its strong point is roughing concrete, stone and similar materials. If we are talking about removing a small section of a cement screed, then it will not work to come up with something better than this diamond.
Discs for angle grinder photo
In general, one way or another, and discs for an angle grinder can significantly increase the functionality of an angle grinder. In modern construction and other spheres of life, it is very difficult to find any industry where an angle grinder is not used. together with a huge number of all kinds of attachments, it is a truly universal tool.
5 Amazing Angle Grinder Attachments !!!
What are the attachments for an angle grinder: main characteristics
On the modern market, you can find many varieties of wheels for an angle grinder. The sheer number of modifications can confuse an inexperienced person. Each type of nozzle has its own operational characteristics that determine the design of the product. Differentiation of such instruments occurs according to the following criteria:
The purpose of the attachment on an angle grinder is determined by its marking
- material of manufacture;
Today you can find many angle grinders that are used to process metal, wood or stone parts. The purpose of the product is determined by its marking. It should be noted that some types of attachments are universal. For example, a stone circle is often used to cut ceramic tiles, concrete and brick products.
However, most discs are only suitable for highly specialized work. The metal attachments should never be used when cutting wood logs or planks. And the circles that are used for roughing steel are not usually used for stainless steel.
Helpful information! Why is an angle grinder called an angle grinder? The answer to this question is very simple: in the USSR, the first samples of this device appeared in the 70s. They were delivered from an angle grinder, so this name stuck to the device.
Angle grinder attachments are classified according to processing class, degree of hardness and roughness
Angle grinders are used for cutting and grinding materials. If desired, you can choose a circle for processing glass, plastic or marble slabs. All tools for an angle grinder are divided into types according to the class of processing, as well as according to the degree of hardness.
Varieties of nozzle pulleys angle grinder for chainsaw
It should be noted right away that there is no official classification of nozzle pulleys of this type. Consider the most common pulley options. The first one belongs to the Stihl 180 chainsaw. It has some design features. Such a pulley looks like a closed bowl. Such an element is not collapsible and is used in the following modifications of the Stihl saw: MS 180, MS 250 and MS 170.
The angle grinder attachment for the Stihl 180 chainsaw can be mounted on the saw chain sprocket without removing the clutch. In this case, there is a lack of a bowl at the pulley. There are several options for this design, which are classified depending on the sprocket pitch. The main advantage of this type of attachments is that they are very easy to install. And also it is worth noting their acceptable cost.
Chainsaws of a professional type are distinguished by the fact that they have a clutch, the sprocket of which can be replaced if necessary. For such devices, special pulleys are used. The cost of this tool is more, however, its quality characteristics will be better.
The angle grinder attachment for chainsaws Stihl, Partner, Taiga, etc. is used when it is necessary to make an even cut in wood or metal. During work, you must be careful, and before starting it, you must definitely check the correct installation of this nozzle.
Angle grinder rating 2018: the best models in terms of cost and quality
Today there is a huge variety of angle grinders, which differ in the manufacturer’s firm, technical characteristics and cost. Some models are very popular, as consumers note their advantages over standard devices. Before purchasing this tool, it is recommended to pay attention to the rating of the angle grinder, which contains the best representatives who have certain advantages.
Interskul angle grinder-125 / 1100E. This model of the Interskul brand belongs to the budget segment. Its distinctive feature is the highest power among inexpensive angle grinders. Many users note another advantage of this device. soft start.
The cost of this tool is only 3900 rubles. Of the minuses, only the large mass of the product can be noted. It is used for discs with a diameter of 125 mm. For discs 230 mm, there is a heavier model from the Interskul company. an angle grinder 230.
Makita GA5030. Such an angle grinder costs about 4000 rubles, so it is also referred to the budget segment. The main advantage of this device is the minimum amount of vibration during its operation, which affects the usability.
The Makita GA5030 angle grinder has a rather low power (only 720 W). However, this is sufficient for working with metal pipes, ceramic tiles and wood. The weight of the device makes it easy to handle. The weight of this model is 1.4 kg.
Bosch GWS 20-230 H. angle grinder from a well-known German manufacturer, which is distinguished by high quality of assembly and component parts. The cost of the model is approximately 7200 rubles. Such a device belongs to the middle price segment.
Helpful information! Many users note that this series Bosch angle grinder is one of the best options for home use. It is also worth noting that an additional handle and 8 different circles are included with the device itself.
Hitachi G18SS. An effective device that has a very affordable price (6000 rubles). The advantage of this model is that it has a large margin of endurance and is protected from overheating. Hitachi angle grinder is a great option for home use.
Metal brushes for angle grinder for cleaning rust and processing wood
Many people believe that only steel products can be cleaned with the brush attachments that are used with an angle grinder. However, such tools are also used when it is necessary to process wooden parts. For wood, use brass wire nozzles.
Brushes have several advantages over abrasive discs. They are distinguished by a long service life and a lower cost. They are used when it is necessary to remove rust or old paint from the workpiece. Separately, it should be said that brushes are indispensable tools when processing hard-to-reach places.
Brass attachments for wood angle grinders allow you to remove paintwork as efficiently as possible. Brushes are used not only for cleaning surfaces. This tool is also used when it is necessary to artificially age wood. This process is called brushing.
Brushing is used to create unique designer interior items. Using an angle grinder, you can process small items. On an industrial scale, such a tool is not used. Brushing attachment for angle grinder allows you to highlight wood features such as rings and unevenness.
Metal brushes are able to quickly and efficiently remove old paint from steel pipes, remove rust and deposits. When choosing such nozzles, it is imperative to pay attention to their rigidity, since the operational efficiency of the brushes depends on this indicator.
Angle Grinder Attachments for Rough Cutting of Various Materials
For rough grinding of various surfaces, special discs are used, which have their own characteristics. Rough processing of wood is aimed at removing knots, as well as a layer of bark. Using these attachments for metal workpieces removes paint and rust.
Today, there are several types of grinding attachments for angle grinders. For example, roughing discs are very popular. Among them there are products that are used for processing stone and concrete (diamond) and abrasive wheels used for metal parts.
Roughs are often used to remove old paint layers. In some cases, they are used to remove varnish. Another common version of the attachment for an angle grinder is a brush. The design features of these elements are reflected in their effectiveness. A disc that has a metal wire is able to quickly remove paint from a metal surface.
Note! In the building materials market, you can find end wheels for an angle grinder. Similar products are used when it is necessary to align the cutting line of the board. Aligning the ends with an oblique cut is done quite often, so this tool can be called indispensable.
Separately, it should be said about the nozzles for car polishing. For rough processing of paintwork (LCP) machines use special woolen discs. The material in such a circle can be located freely or twist into dense threads.
Also, for rough processing of cars, abrasive discs are used, which are distinguished by high functionality and a longer service life.
Today you can find other attachments for an angle grinder for polishing a car. For example, felt and felt discs are very popular. For the finishing of the car paintwork, vulcanite nozzles are used, the main material of which is rubber.
Angle grinder attachments: coarse and gentle sanding
Grinding is one of the most popular processes for which an angle grinder is used. With the help of such a tool and a set of nozzles, you can carry out rough and gentle processing of metal, stone and wood surfaces. As a rule, sanding precedes the polishing of the workpieces. The attachments used in this case may consist of sandpaper or felt material.
The flap disc for the angle grinder is widely used. This tool consists of a circle (base), along the edges of which sandpaper petals are fixed. They can have different grain sizes. This indicator is selected depending on the nature of the work.
The use of a flap wheel allows for rough machining of workpieces from different materials. It can also be used for finishing grinding. Fine-grained petals are used for finishing.
Today you can find another type of grinding discs for an angle grinder. Some abrasive products are fixed to the backing with a special velcro. To use such a circle, you need to screw it onto the tool spindle.
Polishing is the softest wood treatment. For polishing work that refers to the finishing stage of turning a particular material, special felt discs are used. And also on the tool market you can find circles, the working part of which consists of dense fabric. Angle grinder attachments for polishing are very popular when working with wood, as their use allows you to bring the surface of the material to the smoothest possible state.
Angle Grinder Attachments: Gentle Grinding
For rough grinding of certain materials, first of all, petal nozzles are used. They, as already mentioned above, consist of petals located close to each other and having an abrasive coating (sandpaper).
The grain size of the petal tips can be different. It is selected depending on the nature of the work. It is worth noting that the design of this grinding attachment allows it to serve for quite a long time, which is an undoubted advantage. Individual petals resemble a trapezoid in shape.
The second type of nozzles, which are classified as soft, are grinding wheels. They are made from sandpaper, felt or thick fabrics. Discs of this type are fixed with Velcro on a plate base. They are usually sold as a set.
A set is used for wood processing, which includes 5 discs. They all duplicate each other. If one circle is worn out, it will not be difficult to replace it with a new nozzle. Similar products are used for finishing wood surfaces. There are other angle grinder attachments that are used for sanding wood. For example, wood cutters for an angle grinder are very popular.
Felt circles, as well as products that include dense fabric in their design, are used for wood processing. It is important to remember that a special wax paste must be used for grinding with such wheels. It is applied to the surface of the part before starting work.
Another type of nozzle that is used for finishing wooden surfaces is cup products. They consist of nylon fibers, which together form a fairly dense coating.