What are the trimmer coils
All about spool for petrol trimmer
What is a trimmer spool?
One of the main elements of the trimmer is the spool (spool), which is installed on a special attachment. This design contains a drum where the line is placed for cutting grass.
Externally, the trimmer spool is protected by a cover that protects the user from injury if the cutting thread breaks. Most often, the casing slams shut.
To open the drum and remove the fishing line, it is enough to squeeze the special clamps, which can be done with a screwdriver. This can cause the trimmer spool to shoot out the inner rig as the spring unfolds. Therefore, care must be taken when handling the drum.
Spools? Coils? Bobbins? Cutting heads? WTF?!
The head is the base, inside of which there is a reel with wound fishing line (it is also called a spool). The photo below shows an example of the design of a head with a coil inside.
What is the Difference Between Manual, Automatic and Semi-Automatic Spool?
Differences in the principles of work:
When working with a manual (mechanical) spool, the line is fed mechanically. That is, in order to lengthen the line, you should interrupt the operation of the device and manually lengthen the ends.
When working with a semiautomatic spool, when the ends of the line become short, hit the ground with the spool button at maximum speed. Under the action of centrifugal force, the line will come out of the spool, the excess ends will be cut off with a special knife of the protective casing.
When working with an automatic spool, the line is lengthened automatically by lowering the speed of the trimmer motor. And when the RPM increases again, the line feeds again automatically.
However, the main difference between spools is the threading of the line into the spool.
So, for example, in order to thread the line into the “semi-automatic” spool, you need to open the spool body and thread the line onto the inner spool. Threading the line into the “automatic” spool is performed without opening the spool cover.
about automatic spools
Fast line threading
No effort is required to thread the line into the spool
There is no risk of breaking the bobbin cover latches when you open it
Threading the line can be done without removing the spool from the trimmer
The price for automatic reels is 2-3 times higher than for semi-automatic
How to thread a line into an automatic spool?
Align the arrows on the button and spool cap
Pull a piece of line, about 3 m, through the through hole in the spool, leaving the ends of the same length
While pressing and turning the spool button clockwise, wind the line around the spool, leaving the ends 10-15 cm
How to thread a line into a semi-automatic spool?
Open the coil body
Remove the spool from the spool and remove the remnants of the old torn line, if necessary
Fold a piece of line approximately 3 m in half. Insert a loop of line into the groove in the middle of the spool. Wind the line onto the spool in two streams. The direction of winding the line is indicated by an arrow on the spool body.
Fix the ends of the line 10-15 cm long in the grooves on the spool
Install the spool into the reel body, after threading the ends of the line into the exit holes on the reel body
Install the spool cover with the button
How to find the right spool for your trimmer?
Please note that the trimmer head for each model of each brand is unique (although most Chinese trimmers of different brands can often be used with the same spools). Pay attention to the parameters below, and you can choose your own spool yourself:
- Diameter and pitch of the thread
- Diameter of the trimmer head itself
- Maximum permissible line diameter that can be installed on a braid.
- Thread embedment depth (one of the most important parameters for selection).
The main technical characteristics of the trimmer are:
- equipment weight;
- type of power supply (from the network or using a battery);
- engine location (top or bottom);
- type of cutting element;
- rod type.
All this must be taken into account, buy this or that device.
Classification by filling method
The trimmer head can have several ways of threading the line:
- Quick Chargers. The new cord is wound without disassembling the coil, that is, there is no need to remove it from the device. The end of the new element is pushed into the spool and then wound a certain number of times. When a specific value is reached, the cord is cut. This type of trimmer head is available from Shindaiwa and Speed-Freed.
- Collapsible. Here the name itself speaks for itself. To replace a new cord, you need to remove the spool from the equipment, then unwind the old line and wind a new one.
To make the cutting process easy, you need to choose the right cutting element.
How to choose the right one?
Before purchasing this equipment, you need to understand for what purpose it will be used. For a large area with a flat lawn, it is better to purchase a light model with low power. If you need to equip a summer cottage, then you need to choose a more powerful model.
What it is?
The trimmer consists of a cutting element, a bar, a motor and a handle with a control mechanism.
Trimmer head: types and description
One of the common devices for cutting grass is the trimmer. It is very easy to operate and maintain. That is why it has become popular among the population. Its significant advantage is its low weight. Even a child can handle such equipment.
Trimmer mowing head
It is a special assembled coil with a cord inside.
The trimmer head is classified according to the line feed method:
- Manual. In this case, the name speaks for itself, that is, the line is fed mechanically. To make the cord even longer, you must stop the trimmer and manually pull the ends.
- Semi-automatic. If you want to replace the cord, the trimmer head needs to touch the ground. At the same time, a special button is pressed and the anchor mechanism opens. Further, the lengthening of the cord occurs due to the centrifugal force. The main feature is that the procedure takes place when the trimmer is on.
- Automatic. To make the cord elongate, the engine speed is reduced. Further, when increasing them, the line is fed automatically.
From the foregoing, it follows that the manual mowing head for the trimmer is inconvenient.
What are the trimmers
There are two types of trimmer:
The line in this case is the cutting part in the unit. In turn, the nylon thread can be as follows:
The line feed from the reel also varies and happens:
How to choose the right fishing line?
Taking into account the power of the trimmer, the developers calculate the diameter of the nylon thread with great accuracy. This is important as the motor of a power tool will break if it is heavily overloaded.
If you don’t know the basics, you will overpay for consumables. This is why you need to be responsible when choosing trimmer line. Then the costs will be minimal.
It is necessary to select the appropriate line for a specific unit. It is sold in skeins up to 120 meters long. The diameter of the line is indicated in the instructions, which are always included with the trimmer.
How to find line for the trimmer reel (lawn mowers)
If a person has modern power tools, then many types of work become much easier for him than if he performed them with traditional tools. For example, with a trimmer, you don’t have to manually cut the grass. And the lawn before our eyes will become smooth and beautiful.
over, in some cases, a trimmer helps a person to make entertainment out of difficult physical work. However, what happens when the main cutting material runs out? This can be a problem if the person does not know how to place the line on the reel of the lawn mower.
What to look for
When choosing a fishing line and working with it on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the following:
The strength and elasticity of the cord can be increased by placing the purchased thread in water for half an hour. This will prevent even the thinnest vein from breaking.
How to make a trimmer coil with your own hands
- 1 What is a trimmer
- 2 Why this tool is called differently
- 3 Specificity of the coil
- 4 How to make a coil yourself
- 5 Conclusion
The trimmer reel cuts the grass, but it will wear out and often need to be replaced. Recently, motorcycle or electric scythes have become widespread. The main working element of such a garden tool are spools with a fishing line tucked inside. Therefore, it is extremely important to choose a high-quality item so as not to waste your finances, because the device is quite expensive. To reduce the cost of maintaining lawn mowers, you can learn how to independently refuel the forest trimmer coil.
Often, manufacturers of power tools do not complete their products with a number of devices that are necessary or useful for operation, offering to purchase them separately (as an additional option). The situation is different with the lawn mower reel: since this is the main working element of the garden tool, all trimmers are supplied with it, however, the quality of the reel from the scythe kit leaves much to be desired.
The consumer has to purchase the coil separately. this is done to increase sales and generate additional profit for manufacturers.
Below are questions about what a trimmer is, what coils are and how to insert and fix the fishing line yourself.
Why this tool is called differently
Trimmer was originally understood as a hand-held lawnmower with an electric motor. At the same time, the mower was powered both from the mains and from the battery, which can be installed on a rod or carried in a special pouch.
The main cutting element is the fishing line, which creates some restrictions on the type of processed grass: you can only mow plants with a thin and soft stem. The mowing area is limited by the length of the cable or the capacity of the battery. However, recently, braids with gasoline engines have also been called trimmers. They give greater mobility to the worker, which can significantly increase the size of the site.
But electric and gasoline scythes were originally varieties of lawn mowers, however, with the advent of the trimmer, these designs have ceased to be in demand and are now rarely produced, and their names have passed to trimmers. most people are more accustomed to call this tool that way.
What is a trimmer
A trimmer is understood as a lawn mower or electric mowers. In fact, it is a type of lawn mower (hand mower) that is designed for mowing grass. This is a modern braid. Initially they were developed for agricultural work, but the main application of trimmers was precisely lawn mowing.
For the first time the idea to create a trimmer came to mind of the American entrepreneur J. Bollas. While driving his car through an automatic car wash, he noticed that the principle of rotating brushes could be used to mow crops.
Trimmer configuration diagram.
After that, he assembled a primitive trimmer from a tin can (as a spool) and a line threaded through the holes drilled in it. He installed the resulting structure on a pole, on which the engine from a moped was previously mounted. The device mowed not only wheat, but also grass. Realizing that he would earn a lot of money on the sale of the scythe, the entrepreneur improved his product and gave it the name “Weed killer”. A feature of the invention was the ability to mow the grass around the trees. the forest cut the grass perfectly, but did not injure the bark.
Coil Trimming Tool,No waste and cut your leads to the perfect length
The main purpose of such a tool was to mow grass in small areas in places where classic wheeled vehicles cannot be used:
- in the presence of a large number of shrubs;
- in gardens with lots of trees;
- near fences and fences;
- if the site has uneven terrain.
All trimmers include a barbell. the main structural element. A gasoline or electric engine is attached to the rod from one end, and a reel with a fishing line is put on the other. the main working element. In this case, the type of transmission can be any. it is limited only by the capabilities of the manufacturer and commercial parameters.
In the modern world (both in the city and in the countryside) it is practically impossible to do without such a modern and useful tool as a trimmer. It is widely used by employees of municipal services in large cities, such devices are also in demand in farms, they are used to improve summer cottages, vegetable gardens, orchards, etc.
Photo of the complete set of the coil of the garden trimmer.
However, it should be remembered that the main working element is the trimmer head. a spool with line. It is this element that most often fails and requires maintenance. The price of the reels has a wide range (from 10 to 150), which makes such a tool even more expensive. Any manufacturer (even a branded one) usually equips its product with an inexpensive and low-quality coil. However, it is possible to work for a rather long time with a primitive coil, provided that work is carried out on time to care for it.
Like any other mechanical element, the coil requires cleaning of accumulated grass, cooling in case of overheating and filling with lubricant. However, coils often fail for various reasons, and buying new ones or carrying broken ones for repair is quite expensive. In this case, almost all malfunctions can be eliminated independently. It is not difficult to disassemble the coil, especially if you use the instructions.
The first part that often fails on the trimmer reel is the line. The line is a consumable for which the manufacturer is not responsible. At the same time, on many models of reels, changing the fishing line is a difficult procedure (and for some brands it is impossible). Attempting to replace the line with a material different from the parameters of the native line may lead to the destruction of the reel.
The reel itself (the part of the element on which the fishing line is wound) rarely fails, while the grooves through which the working part of the fishing line is threaded and which holds it can collapse (grind off), since they are almost always made of plastic.
Video about cable lubrication, replacement of the shank, installation of the guard and trimmer coil:
Despite the abundance of spare parts for trimmers on sale, not every person can afford to purchase them, in addition, there are often restrictions on available products. For example, manufacturers make “individual” mounts for the trimmer, the universal reel will not fit on such a mount. This often makes it impossible to obtain a suitable coil for the price. Some manufacturers make spools designed for thin line (up to 3 mm in diameter), which significantly limits the trimmer’s capabilities. Therefore, there is an option for self-manufacturing of the coil.
How to make a coil yourself
The basis of a homemade reel is a disc made of durable material. It is best to use textolite about 5 mm thick for these purposes. It is strong and reliable enough. The size of the disc depends on the size of the trimmer and personal experience. how is it more convenient to work.
Next, a hole should be drilled in the center of the disc. The diameter of the hole should be equal to the diameter of the rod axis (the latter is attached to the rotating shaft of the motor). In this case, it is extremely important to determine exactly the center of the disc. After that, 4 holes should be drilled for the line. Their diameter will be equal to the diameter of the fishing line, and they will be located in pairs on opposite sides of the axis (2 on one side, 2 on the other from the axis of rotation). In this case, the design of the reel is greatly simplified: it is not required to wind a large amount of fishing line, but it is enough to fix (tie) a small piece of it through the ready-made holes.
To give the structure the necessary strength and reliability, it is recommended to find a spring, the inner diameter of which will be equal to the diameter of the shaft, and install it on the shaft over the finished disc.
After the line is tucked in and secured to the disc, you can start testing. The fishing line does not need to be fixed on the disc: even when threaded through the holes, it will not fall out, because the engine gives high revolutions to the shaft, and the centrifugal force is enough to hold the fishing line under load.
This design, instead of a purchased trimmer coil, has many advantages: you can install any line (both thin and thick) into it, the device itself is practically “indestructible”, and it will not take a very long time to acquire a new coil.
The disadvantages of this homemade product include the following:
- the need to cut a pair of pieces of fishing line of the same length;
- when installing without attaching the fishing line, it is necessary to make sure that equal lengths of fishing line hang from the reel.
Video about winding the line on the trimmer reel:
The body can be used from an old coil. it rarely breaks.
Such a self-made coil can significantly reduce the cost of operating the trimmer, which improves the parameters of its operation. The same trimmer can be used to cut small shrubs as well as soft and thin lawn grass.
Choosing discs and spools for trimmers
Most often, trimmers use fishing line as a safer material during operation. But if there are bushes on the site, young trees with a trunk a few centimeters thick, very tall grass, then you will have to use metal knives.
Metal knives can be bladed or serrated. In bladed ones there can be from one to 8 blades, in toothed ones. up to 80 teeth per disc. often paddle knives are lighter and are used on low power trimmers. The discs are heavier, to reduce their weight perforation is used. holes throughout the disc area. The weight of the knives also depends on their thickness, which ranges from 0.8 to 2 mm. The thicker they are, the more reliable and longer they serve, but the load on the gearbox increases, which can lead to tool breakage.
Knives with a thickness of 1.6-2 mm are used on very powerful professional devices. To increase the reliability of the teeth of the discs, carbide brazing is used. Solid discs are 1.5-2 times heavier than perforated discs, but at the same time they are very good for making hay. Due to their weight, they are installed on lawn mowers with an engine volume of more than 40 cc. For cutting thick-stemmed plants (for example, reeds), discs with 16 to 32 teeth are suitable. Perforated discs are good at killing grass of any hardness and trees with a trunk thickness of up to 7 cm, and gain momentum faster than solid discs.
A trimmer with any metal knives is afraid of collision with solid obstacles: stones, buildings, fittings, etc. In such a collision, the knives become blunt and deformed, the engine overheats, the gearbox may fail.
What are the trimmer coils
Kyiv, Bazhana Avenue 30
Phone: 0 800 330 432
- Products and services
- Instrument registration
- Service maintenance
- The shops
- About us
- Instrument registration
- Service maintenance
- Representative offices
- About us
- New arrivals
The spool consists of a reel with a line covered with a plastic case. According to the type of line feed, the trimmer heads are divided into:
- Manual. The length of the cord is increased by manual pulling, which requires a work stoppage. Requires some skill, but does not cause problems with prolonged use.
- Semi-automatic. The cord comes out by itself, but for this you need to touch the spool head to the ground. Doesn’t require stopping the engine or any special skills.
- Automatic. The line feeds automatically when the engine speed decreases. Differs in high cost and increased cord consumption.
According to the principle of charging, the spool lines are quick-loading and collapsible.
Quick Chargers (or Non-Collapsible) do not need to be removed from the base. The ends of the new line are fed into a reel and then wound several times. Residues are trimmed and the trimmer is ready to go.
The collapsible ones must be removed from the base, disassembled, removed the remnants of the old cord, wind a new one, assemble the head, and install it on the trimmer. Coils for winding the cord, located inside the spool, are:
– single-section, when both parts of the line are wound together;
– two-section, when the reel is divided into 2 parts, and each end of the line is wound on its own section. This separation reduces line tangling and sintering after encountering obstacles and hard braking.
Types of spools for trimmer according to the method of feeding the cutting line
The design of a modern trimmer consists of a motor, bar, control handles and cutting head. The latter can be a disc, which is designed to remove weeds, and a reel, which is used for mowing grass. The reels are divided among themselves according to the line feeding method. The following types of heads are distinguished on sale:
- Manual. in such reels, the line is fed mechanically. To do this, each time you need to stop working with the trimmer and manually pull the line from the reel. On the one hand, this may seem inconvenient, since in order to pull out the required amount of fishing line, you need to remove the reel from the trimmer. Nevertheless, it is the manual trimmer reel that is considered the most reliable in terms of operation;
- Semi-automatic. when working with such reels, to increase the fishing line, you need to touch the head with the surface of the ground and at the same time press a special button that opens the anchor mechanism. The line is fed by centrifugal forces. The main feature of such reels is that the line feed is performed when the trimmer is on. The semiautomatic trimmer coil has one significant drawback. a relatively high cost;
- Automatic. in such heads, the line is fed by increasing the speed of the trimmer engine. The main advantage of such coils is their ease of use. At the same time, the automatic trimmer head has several disadvantages. high cost and frequent breakdowns of the line feed mechanism.
Another type of coil that stands apart from other products is the universal coil. Heads of this type can be installed not on one, but on many models of trimmers, which significantly expands the scope of their application. The universal head has a low cost, but it is quite strong and reliable.
Many experts agree that a semi-automatic reel is the best option for a household application. It is quite reliable, and buying it once, the owner will spend the same amount as when buying 2-3 hand reels.
The spool, or head of the trimmer, is an important part of the garden tool, which is responsible for the correct mowing of the grass. There is a wide variety of coils on the market today that differ in several ways. Below we will consider the features of the classification of trimmer heads and the scope of application of different types in practice.
Head classification by line feed principle
Depending on the method of feeding the line, the spools for trimmers are divided into the following types:
- “Fast” heads. in these reels, the attachment of a new line is carried out without disassembling the product. To do this, the tip of the fishing line must be pushed into the coil and wrapped around its surface a couple of times. As soon as the required amount of fishing line is wound, the excess part is cut off. Such a mowing head is quite convenient to use and saves time, especially if a beginner uses the trimmer;
- Collapsible heads. from the name you can understand that to refuel the coil with fishing line, it must be disassembled. Then a new line is wound inside the reel, after which the trimmer head is installed on the base;
- Semi-automatic heads. their design includes parts, spool, body and springs. Coils of this type are divided into one-section and two-section. In products of the first type, the fishing line is wound evenly on both sides. In two-piece heads, the line is wound separately from the corresponding side. The reel of the second type is considered the most practical and reliable, since the cutting line will never get tangled in it and will not break.
TOP 3 Most Popular Trimmer Coils
Different trim heads have their own advantages and disadvantages. We offer you our TOP 3 of the most popular mowing head models, which have practically no drawbacks:
- In third place is the Bosch K103 universal coil. Most often this model is used for Makita and Hyundai trimmers. Among the advantages of this head, high strength and a wide range of applications should be highlighted. this model is successfully used both for mowing fresh grass and for working with dry vegetation;
- The second place is taken by the Flymo 15 reel. This reel belongs to the universal products with semi-automatic line winding. The model is equipped with a completely metal core, which significantly increases the life of the head;
- First place goes to the Efco 8100 head. This automatic reel is considered by many gardeners to be the best model on the market today. It is lightweight, made of quality materials and can withstand minor impacts against stones.
All of these models are of high quality and are in high demand among buyers. However, when buying them, you should be careful not to purchase a non-original Chinese reel released under the name of one of these brands.
A friction brake is an element that is found in almost all reel designs, but spinners do not always use it, since it is not always possible to catch big fish. over, it can be front or rear.
The front clutch is considered to be smoother and more responsive than the rear clutch, but the rear clutch is more comfortable to adjust. In addition, the reel with the rear drag is easily repaired and can be easily replaced with a new one, along with the spool.
Friction brake performance is assessed by the smoothness of line release.
They are very popular among anglers, since they are installed both on spinning rods and on other fishing equipment. Its use does not require much practice: after the first casts, it is really possible to master the casting technique and carry out various types of postings. These types of reels are produced for different fishing conditions, different sizes and different materials are used. The spinning reel is very easy to use. Before casting, it is necessary to fold back the line guide bracket and press the line against the rod with your index finger (fix). After that, the bait is cast. When the rod is at a certain point (somewhere at an angle of 45 degrees), the line is released, after which it begins to unwind from the spool under the influence of the weight of the bait and the acceleration given to it. The greater the weight of the bait, the further it can be cast. When the bait enters the water, the line staple is returned to its original position. After that, wiring is carried out. The spinning player begins to wind the line on the spool with the rotary movements of the handle, and the line layer allows you to do it neatly.
The weight of the reel plays a very important role, since the spinner has to hold the rod in his hands all the time. The lighter the reel, the less stress on the hands, which means more comfortable fishing. But here, as they say, there are pitfalls. The lighter the coil, the weaker it is, since such a coil is made of light, not strong materials. But if this material is lightweight but strong, then such a reel can cost a lot of money. For non-professionals, this is a matter of principle, since sometimes fishing turns into a rather expensive hobby. As for the professionals, they prefer light, expensive, branded reels more so that they do not fail at the most decisive moment. For amateurs. this is the golden mean: the cheap one should not be taken from fundamental considerations, and the expensive one is simply not needed.
What are the spinning reels
3 types of reels have become widespread, which are known to spinningists today. These are coils such as:
Although this type of reel is considered outdated, some spinning reels still use them when jigging. They explain this by the fact that inertial coils make the tackle more sensitive, which allows them to detect bites in a timely manner. During the posting, spinningists fix the line with their fingers, so the bites are immediately felt by them. Of course, inertial coils have one, but a significant disadvantage: it spins by inertia even when the bait is at a given point. Therefore, the spinning player’s task is to stop its rotation in time. If this is not done, the line becomes easily tangled, and fishing may end there. Fishing with this reel requires special skill.
What to look for when choosing a coil
To choose the right reel for spinning, you need to know what characteristics they have.
If you take experienced anglers, they already know which reel should be selected for specific fishing conditions, but for beginners, this can be a real problem. As a rule, they do not understand why their spinning does not catch fish. Having no experience, they choose the coil at their own discretion, often not paying attention to its characteristics: they think that the more expensive the coil, the better it is.
When choosing a reel for spinning, you should pay attention:
- For the smoothness and ease of rotation of the mechanism.
- For the size of the spool, depending on the fishing conditions.
- On the weight of the reel, since you have to keep the tackle in your hands all the time.
- On the line laying mechanism, which determines the quality and range of casts.
- On the material of manufacture, on which the durability of the product depends.
- For the presence of a friction brake.
- On the shape and method of attachment of the handle.
- On the shackle of the line.
Line laying mechanism
Spinning reels can have one of two line laying mechanisms: with an endless screw or with a yoke.
Both mechanisms, made with high quality, allow you to lay the line evenly, without the formation of grooves and humps.
There are 2 types of line winding: straight and cross. Straight winding ensures tight and even lay, with more line space on the spool. But this winding has its drawback: adjacent turns often cling to each other, which affects the quality of casting.
Cross winding is devoid of this drawback, but less line fits on the spool.
In addition, rectilinear winding can be cylindrical, in the form of a straight and reverse cone. With the cylindrical method, the cord is laid parallel to the spool, and in the case of a reverse and straight cone. at a certain angle.
Spool and spool size
The spool size depends on the spool size and vice versa. The size of the coil indicates its ability to withstand certain types of loads: the larger the coil, the more power it has, which means you can catch big fish with it. Each spool indicates how much line and thickness fits on the spool. The size of the reel is marked with numbers 1000, 2000, 3000, etc. At the same time, you can easily, even by these numbers, determine how much and what kind of line fits on the reel. For example: a reel with the designation 3000 holds 100 meters of line, 0.3 mm thick or 300 meters. 0.1 mm thick.
To catch small predatory fish, for example, perch, it is enough to have a reel with the designation 1000-2500. You just need to choose high-quality coils. Reel sizes from 3000 to 5000 are more suitable for tough fishing conditions when you have to catch large fish. Larger reels are rarely used because larger fish are found in the seas and oceans.
VARIETY OF LINE
First of all, the thickness should be mentioned. It is generally accepted that narrow fishing line (up to 1.6 mm in diameter) is suitable for extremely small trimmers, with which the owners occasionally cut down unnecessary vegetation in the yard.
Medium line (1.8-2.5 mm) can already cope not only with grass, but also with tough weeds.
Well, a thick fishing line (up to 4 mm) will easily cut off small bushes. Usually, such a line is prudently installed on the most powerful electric scythes and trimmers.
WHAT ELSE IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT TRIMMER COILS?
- The main difference between trim spools is the mounting axis and the thread. Today, there are already universal options, or special adapters that allow the use of electric braces from any manufacturer.
- There are spools not only with fishing line, but also with plastic knives (they can easily cut bushes).
- Some bobbins are equipped with bearings to increase their durability.
- Some bobbins are reinforced with a special steel plate.
- The quality and timing of work directly depends on the number of protruding cutting tails and the shape of the fishing line.
Trim reels and line. their varieties
WHAT ARE THE VARIETIES OF TRIMMER COILS
The line trimmer head is one of the world’s most widely used grass cutters. Today, a huge variety of its different types and purposes are offered.
Despite this diversity, there are three main types of trimmer reels: with manual line feed, semi-automatic and automatic.
The reel with manual line feed implies self-adjustment of the cutting barbs. As one user commented: “. To pull a little line out, you need to turn the lamb two turns and at the same time do not forget that the head will easily crumble if you accidentally unscrew the lamb a little more.” That is, the mowing process is delayed and complicated.
Semi-automatic line feed is justifiably the most popular method. When you hit the special button on the ground, the line is fed as much as necessary for mowing. True, there are also problems of “self-disassembly” or entanglement of the fishing line inside, but such a mechanism is really the most effective.
The third method is automatic and the most expensive. Here, there will be no need to constantly monitor the condition of the cutting tails: they lengthen on their own.
The line is made of PP6 polypropylene or nylon.
Polypropylene is very hard and wear-resistant, begins to soften only at 140 ° C and practically does not crack.
Nylon is a synthetic polyamide that is widely used in industry. Various bushings and liners are made from it, or applied to rubbing parts of parts, increasing their wear resistance.
Without a doubt, we can say that these two materials are exactly what you need to make a trimmer line.
THE FORM OF THE LINE IS DIFFERENT
Today, if you look at its shape in cross-section, you can find many options and varieties. Most basic: rounded, square, asterisk, pentagon, cross, or two-piece.
Versatile, quiet and the most used shape is round. May be in the form of a twisted pigtail. Suitable for most jobs.
Square (twisted-square) can easily cut off dead wood or thickets of bush stem crops (for example, raspberries).
The asterisk (cross), due to the sharp edges, cuts the grass more cleanly and neatly. Ideal for very young vegetation. Very popular, as many owners regularly mow their lawn, carefully monitoring the quality of grass growth.
The two-piece form implies a double line: with a nested core made of a different material. Very durable but expensive.
Trimmer coils. types and features
The efficiency and performance of a household trimmer in an area largely depends on the quality of the line. It is located in the spool, or, as it is also called, the trimmer head. Manufacturers produce different types of coils. Each of them stands out for its design features and individual operating principle. Having studied them in detail, it will be easier for the gardener to choose exactly the head that is suitable for specific operating conditions.
Types and features of trimmer spools
The device of a household lawn mower begins with its working body, the role of which is most often played by a trimmer coil.
There are 3 types of heads on the market that differ from each other in the method of feeding the cutting line:
- automatic reels. in nozzles of this type, the cord is fed when the lawn mowers speed up when the engine is running. At the same time, the operator himself does not take part in lengthening the line. this happens in a fully automatic mode. Automatic heads are the most convenient to use and are most often used by gardeners caring for large areas. Among the disadvantages of these attachments, experienced users point out frequent breakdowns of the device and the highest cost among all types of trimmer coils;
- semi-automatic heads. attachments of this type work according to a rather simple principle: to feed the cutting line, the reel must rest against the surface of the ground. By simultaneously pressing a special button, the built-in anchor mechanism is activated. as a result, centrifugal forces arise, under which the line is lengthened and the operator can continue to work on the site. A certain skill is required from the operator to operate these attachments;
- hand reels. in the design of these heads, the cutting line is mechanically lengthened. Accordingly, the operator must shut off the mowers engine and manually pull the line out to feed the line. Despite the inconvenience during operation, it is this type of coil that is recognized as the most reliable and popular among gardeners.
In addition to the listed types of mowing heads, there are universal attachments on sale. They can be installed on any model of a household trimmer, regardless of its original equipment and purpose. The universal head stands out for its high reliability and does not require frequent repairs.
Head types by line threading method
In addition to the difference in the feeding algorithm, the trimmer spools are divided among themselves according to the method of threading the cutting line.
Coily Coil Trimming Tool Tutorial & Review
The following types of attachments are found on the market:
- “Fast”. these reels do not need to be removed from the trimmer. To thread the cutting line into the head, the operator needs to pull its end into a special hole in the side of the nozzle, and wrap the line several times around the central axis of the head. At the end, the opposite end of the cord will need to be cut and continue mowing;
- collapsible. to refill the line, the user needs to remove the reel from the trimmer and disassemble it. After that, wind up the cutting line, assemble the attachment and put it back on the mower.
Often on the market you can find semi-automatic reels, the factory device of which includes a body, a pair of built-in parts and a spool. The built-in parts are equipped with springs, and the spools themselves can be one- or two-piece. In one-piece spools, the line is wound evenly on each side. In two-section, each of the ends of the cutting cord is wound from the corresponding side. This type of attachments is considered to be the most practical and convenient to use, since the cutting line inside them never gets confused.
The design of a single-section spool assumes the possibility of its own revision. To convert it into a two-section one, the user will need a strong metal plate on which to measure the diameter of the existing spool and cut the workpiece along the applied contour. To get the thickness, you need to measure the place where the cutting cord is wound. In this case, you must make sure that nothing interferes with the rotation of the circle. After that, you will not need to make a small incision and put it on the spool. It is better to choose Moment glue or special adhesive tape for fastening the ring. As a result, the manufacturer will have a homemade two-piece trimmer head. which can be installed on different models of lawn mowers.
TOP 4 reels for lawn mowers
Among experienced gardeners, the following trimmer head models are the most popular:
- Bosch K103 is a universal trimmer reel. weighing 300 g and a height of 6.7 mm. Most often it is installed on lawn mowers of the Makita and Hyundai brands. Inside the nozzle, a cutting cord of increased strength is provided, which easily cuts weeds up to 5 mm thick. Among the advantages of this mowing head, users highlight the relatively low cord consumption. The extension of the line in this attachment is done automatically. The coil is designed with a reliable steel core, so it rarely fails. The body of the nozzle is made of shock-resistant plastic;
- standard trimmer head Efco 3060. this mowing reel stands out for its availability and good factory quality. The extension of the line in its basic device is carried out in a semi-automatic mode. The standard fixing diameter of the nozzle is 6.6 mm. The coil design is equipped with a threaded adapter. Inside the head there is a strong cutting line that successfully tackles weeds up to 3 mm thick. Most often this reel is installed on trimmers of the brands Efco, Hyundai and Intertool;
- Flymo 15. This mowing head is recognized by many gardeners as the best in the class of universal attachments. The scope of delivery of the reel includes an adapter that allows it to be installed on many lawn mower models. The extension of the cutting line in this attachment is carried out in a semi-automatic mode. Head body height is 7.4 cm.
The Efco 8100 reel is no less popular on the market. All parts of this attachment are made of steel, and the body is made of durable shock-resistant plastic. Inside the head there is a fishing line with a diameter of 1.3 mm. This allows the reel to be used for cutting weeds up to 5mm thick.