What Are The Wheels For An Angle Grinder
Selection and replacement of discs for an angle grinder What are the types of discs for an angle grinder, their typical sizes. How to change the attachment to an angle grinder correctly. What to do if the disc is stuck and the nut won’t loosen?
Sewing off a jammed circle
If, after applying the first 3 methods, the nut does not loosen, then the remaining abrasive disc between the flanges can be ground off. To do this, follow these steps.
- Use pliers to remove the rest of the circle at the edges of the nut as much as possible.
- Clamp a piece of sheet metal as thick as the disc itself in a vice, turn on the angle grinder and grind off the rest of the wheel on the end of the sheet metal.
But the use of a stationary abrasive wheel requires great care, because when grinding off the remnants of the tool, the geometry of the flange can be damaged. If this happens, you will have to trim the nut.
If it is required to remove a layer of paint or other application, as well as rust from any surface, apply corsets. They are disc or bowl-shaped with built-in metal wire.
The wire in these attachments can be twisted or loose. Its thickness can also be different. The thicker the wire, the coarser the roughing disc or bowl is used, and vice versa.
Typical disc sizes
When choosing a disc for an angle grinder, make sure that the outer diameter of the attachment does not exceed the maximum permitted values for your angle grinder. For example, if an angle grinder is designed to use a wheel with a maximum diameter of 125 mm, then a 230 mm wheel cannot be fitted to it. And there are several explanations for this:
- The linear speed of the cutting edge will be exceeded, which is fraught with destruction of the abrasive wheel and injury to the user;
- A small angle grinder does not have enough power to work with a large tool;
- Installing a nozzle that exceeds the permissible dimensions requires removing the protective cover, and this is already a violation of safety rules.
Angle grinder discs come in standard sizes 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230 mm. In modern angle grinders landing diameter (the diameter of the shaft on which the tool is installed) is practically the same and equals 22.2 mm. If you have an outdated angle grinder “lying around”, then you will need to use adapters. Rings of different diameters.
All abrasive wheels of all sizes have special marking, from which you can find out the following information: the diameter of the disc and its thickness, the diameter of the seat, the maximum rotation speed, as well as what materials it is intended for processing.
Discs and attachments for an angle grinder: their types and purpose
Agree, it is always more convenient to have one universal tool at hand than several specialized ones. The issue of transporting a huge amount of rarely used “trash” is immediately resolved. Instead of carrying around a lot of all kinds of tools, craftsmen transport a small set of them. The most versatile tool in this regard can be called an angle grinder. With its help, using different discs or attachments, you can carry out a fairly wide range of all kinds of operations. An angle grinder is capable of cutting almost any material, regardless of its strength, grinding, polishing, sharpening, stripping. In general, performing all types of work for which you can use rotational movements. It is these nozzles that will be discussed in this article, in which, together with the website stroisovety.Org, we will study all the available discs for an angle grinder and understand their purpose.
How to choose discs and attachments for your angle grinder
Cut-off discs for angle grinder
Cutting discs are the most common replacement cutting tool for an angle grinder. There are a lot of them and they can handle almost any material. The most used among them are angle grinders for metal, stone, wood and diamond wheel.
- Disc for cutting metal. It should be understood that angle grinder cutting discs can vary in both outer diameter and thickness. With the diameter of such nozzles, everything seems to be clear. In this regard, they are designed for small, medium and large tools. Accordingly, their diameter can be 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230mm. As for the thickness of these discs, it can vary from 1mm to 3.2mm. Large diameter discs are made thicker, small diameter discs can be of any thickness. This approach to business is associated both with the speed of rotation of the disk and with the expected loads on them.
Disc for angle grinder for metal
- Stone discs. They differ from their metal-cutting counterparts exclusively in the used abrasives.
- Discs for wood. In principle, the use of such disks is fraught with unpleasant consequences in the form of all kinds of injuries. You need to work with them very carefully. Compliance with safety precautions when working with such replaceable attachments is in your best interest. Firstly, you should not remove the protective cover from the tool and, secondly, for an angle grinder it is better to use a disc for wood with a fine tooth. In no case should you cut wood with a strong feed. And it is better to refuse to use such attachments on a large instrument altogether. The ideal option for using such a tool would be to use it in conjunction with special equipment (a device for stationary attachment of an angle grinder).
Wood discs for angle grinder photo
- Diamond disc for angle grinder. This accessory can be called universal. It is able to cut almost any material, from soft to durable. Such attachments are most widely used in the field of cutting porcelain stoneware, reinforced concrete, artificial and natural stone and tiles. There are different types of discs for each of these materials. Some of them have a solid cutting edge, and some are ragged with slots. Also, depending on the purpose of these wheels, they can have a coarse or fine fraction of diamond dusting. For example, discs for an angle grinder for concrete have fine dusting and special transverse grooves along their entire diameter. In contrast, a diamond disc for a stone angle grinder has a solid cutting edge.
Diamond disc for angle grinder photo
It is difficult to determine visually the purpose of diamond discs, therefore, when purchasing such attachments, carefully read the packaging. Everything is written in detail about its purpose.
Grinding and Polishing Discs for Angle Grinder
There are quite a few types of grinding and polishing wheels. Depending on the required surface quality, discs with replaceable sandpaper, felt, and spongy, and even cloth can be installed on the angle grinder.
Grinding disc for angle grinder photo
Most of them require the use of special fine abrasive pastes or even liquids to work. For coarse grinding and deburring, fine abrasive grinding wheels are used. Grinding discs for an angle grinder allow you to bring to the required roughness almost any material. Such attachments are used even in auto repair shops for polishing car bodies.
Flap disc for angle grinder
Marking on cutting discs
In order for the owners of grinders to be able to correctly choose consumables in accordance with the upcoming work with this tool, manufacturers of cutting discs apply special markings on them.
For cutting tiles and porcelain stoneware
The best way to cut ceramic tiles is to use one-piece diamond cut discs. These discs usually say “Wet cut”. As practice shows, this tool perfectly makes a smooth, with a minimum of chips, cut on a tile even without the use of water, although a lot of fine dust is generated.
Solid diamond disc can also be used and for porcelain stoneware.
On tiles, of course, segmented (dry) and turbo discs can be used, but the cut quality will be very low, since chips will inevitably form along the edges.
Varieties of cutting discs
Cut-off wheels for an angle grinder can be either of abrasive material or all-metal. Depending on the type of material being processed, the type of cutting disc is also selected.