What Disc To Cut Porcelain Tile Angle Grinder
Blades made of steel form a large product group, which includes wheels for dry and wet cutting, as well as combined models. Steel discs are extremely tough and durable, and diamond-coated makes them suitable for the hardest materials.
Diamond grit is applied by the manufacturer in three methods:
- silver solder. the cheapest products suitable for household use. Potential service life is low due to the loss of strength of the solder when heated;
- laser soldering. heavy-duty wheels of a high price segment, used on an industrial scale. They perfectly cope with the processing of workpieces of any strength;
- form-fitting. diamond chips are embedded in the surface during the heating of the disc edge with electricity. They belong to the middle price segment, serve for a relatively long time, which makes it possible to recommend them for processing large volumes of tiles.
Combination wheels combine dry and wet cutting capabilities. This nozzle is a cross between solid and segmented discs. In terms of cut quality, it is inferior to solid modifications, but outperforms segmented ones. As for the time of continuous operation, it requires breaks more often than segment, but less often than continuous.
Do not use water cooling on the combination disc. It does not withstand temperature extremes, it expands unevenly under the influence of liquid, which is fraught with rupture.
Tile cutting disc
Experienced tilers claim that the most convenient and efficient tile trimmer is an angle grinder, popularly referred to as an angle grinder. The main functional load in the unit falls on a replaceable cutting element, which is a disc of a given diameter and modification. How to choose the right disc for cutting tiles, what determines the price of the part, and how to work correctly with the cutting tool.
How to choose the right drive?
Depending on the disc modification, the angle grinder is capable of processing a wide variety of materials. metals, wood, porcelain stoneware, reinforced concrete, natural stone, etc.
Discs made of stone have only one distinct advantage. affordable cost. But the disadvantages of this type of attachments are much more:
- short service life;
- rapid wear;
- large cutting thickness.
Since it is impossible to make thin cutting of tiles with stone discs, a lot of dust is generated during the work. The accessory creates a number of restrictions in processing. it is used mainly for making simple straight cuts. But for thinner and curly sawing, such discs are not suitable.
What determines the price of a circle?
Replacement elements for hard materials are usually diamond-coated, which gives the cutting edge extra strength. It is the diamond coating that significantly increases the cost of nozzle wheels. But they are also the strongest and most durable, easily cope with difficult processing tasks.
A more simplified option is a stone disc designed for sawing a small amount of tiles. It costs much less, but wears out faster, creates a lot of dust and does not allow achieving high processing accuracy.
Professional wheels for cutting with a diameter from 125 mm to 350 mm are also distinguished by a high cost. They are distinguished by their maximum durability, excellent spraying and cutting quality, even with regular use. Such attachments can be used to cut not only tiles, but also marble, granite massifs and even reinforced concrete.
Segmented dry cutters
In segmented dry cutters, functional slots are provided along the perimeter, directed from the cutting edge to the center hole. Radial cutouts provide free expansion of heated metal and more efficient heat dissipation by air cooling. This allows for a longer continuous rotation time. the segmented angle grinder can work for 1-1.5 minutes with a 20-second pause.
What disc to cut porcelain stoneware angle grinder
When doing renovations, many homeowners find it necessary to cut ceramic tiles that can be done using an angle grinder. This tool allows you to do this work at a high level, with minimal risk of chips or cracks. In this article we will show you how to cut ceramic tiles using an angle grinder.
Cheap Way to Cut Porcelain Tiles Using Portable Grinder
Cutting paving slabs
Technically, such a tile consists of concrete filled with crushed granite. Therefore, in order to properly and evenly cut paving slabs, a segmented or combined diamond blade, designed for hard materials, should be used. Paving stones generate a lot of dust, so cut outdoors.
It is recommended to allocate a site at some distance from the place of storage or laying of paving slabs so that the settling ardor does not spoil the color of the material and does not require cleaning. You should also take care of the availability of appropriate clothing and protective equipment. glasses and a respirator. The cutting process itself is not very difficult. the usual technique of solid cutting or scoring followed by splitting is used (if the thickness of the tile is too thick for through cutting).
Important! Dust generated when cutting paving slabs is capable of eating into the surface. If it comes into contact with tiles laid or prepared for laying, they should be immediately cleaned with a stiff brush and moved to another place.
How to choose a disk by tile
The tile cutter cuts tiles using saw blades, which are considered universal for various types of surfaces. A diamond disc is a perfect option here, since porcelain stoneware is denser and harder than ordinary tiles. Experienced craftsmen always advise to stock up on several discs for different surfaces.
Speaking about the design of the electronic tile cutter, it is represented by the connection of the retractable table and the cutting element itself, in other words, the blade. It should be borne in mind that when working, the tile cutter asks for repeated cooling. Water in our version will become your real salvation. There are even models where a certain part of the blade is deliberately immersed in a certain container with water. As a result, timely lubrication of the blade and the working surface of the tile cutter will not interfere.
For professional use, we advise you to take a closer look at the tile cutters equipped with a pump that supplies water to the sump.
But, as experienced specialists say, they occasionally use this function, replacing it with water supply from a regular hose. Cooling the blades with water can significantly extend the service life of the tool by approximately two, and the savings and three times.
We cut the tiles correctly
When using tiles for wall decoration, a situation will surely arise when you need to cut off part of the slab so that it fits into the remaining space. over, a similar procedure will be required regardless of which type of tile you choose. Cutting is required most often in cases where unique patterns on the walls are created or various decorative objects are formed using tiles.
If you have already prepared all the attributes you need for work, you can consider how the tile should be cut correctly. The angle grinder is an excellent assistant in this matter, since with its help you can create not only straight cuts, but also curly cuts. Next, we will look at how to cut tiles in various ways.
A straight cut is as simple as possible:
- First, you need to fix the tile on the plane so that it does not slide and ride on it.
- The part of the tile that needs to be cut must remain in weight. the surface line will be the guideline for the notch mowing line;
- Take your angle grinder so that you can see the cut line. If you hide it from yourself, you will not be able to make an even cut.
- You need to direct and move the blade towards you, not away from yourself. This is the mistake many beginners make. Hold the tool firmly and level so that it does not walk in different directions, otherwise the cut will be ugly. Holding the angle grinder crooked can damage the disc as it can fly off.
A round hole is made as follows:
- Initially, you must use a marker to draw the required hole. Draw on the glossy side of the tile.
- Then you need to determine the center of the circle. This can be done using straight lines drawn crosswise.
- Gently saw the tile from the inside in a circle until we go deeper.
- It is necessary to turn the angle grinder so that the blade gradually fits into the outlined circle.
- When the cut is deep enough, it is required to saw the drawn cross along the drawn lines, after which you carefully take out the resulting 4 sectors of the circle.
You need to cut the tiles only on the front side, since this is the only way to get a cut without various defects. Consequently, all possible damage will be concentrated on the back of the tile, which will be hidden with tile adhesive.
It is best to measure and mark the tiles to be cut from the start.
To cut at a 45 degree angle, follow the instructions below:
- It is important to note that cutting the tiles obliquely is more difficult than making a straight cut. However, this is much easier than creating curly elements. You need to start by doing.
- the angle grinder must be turned so that the disc is located at the angle you need, while you must carefully drive the blade, removing excess, so that at the end an even angular cut is obtained.
- Perfectness can be achieved by using ordinary sandpaper, which is best fixed on a block.
Abrasive paper should be used for each element as this will help improve the appearance of the cut.
Features of cutting porcelain stoneware
To properly cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home, you must use a solid diamond disc. It will allow you to get a clean cut with a minimum of chips. It is necessary to choose a tool with a large thickness of the diamond layer. it is more efficient and heats up less. Let’s consider how to cut a porcelain stoneware angle grinder without chips:
- the tiles are laid on a flat base, placing a thin foam or similar material under it, fixed with clamps.
- Paste masking tape on the front side and draw a cutting line.
- Cut away from you, guide the tool so that it remains possible to finish the edge.
- Remove any remaining adhesive tape and sand the edge of the tile until the desired surface finish is obtained.
When cutting porcelain stoneware, increased chipping is possible, therefore, you should not neglect the sticking of masking tape along the mowing line of the cut. The most risky type of material in this regard is glazed tiles, which should be cut a couple of millimeters away from the intended mowing line in order to then clean up the edge and at the same time adjust the size.
The angle grinder must be set at a low speed so that you can control and adjust its actions. When you have the ability to secure the tool, be sure to do so, as this will simplify your work. Once the angle grinder is secured, you only need to move the tile along the desired trajectory.
If there is no possibility of anchoring, then the floor is the best place to work. Be sure to put bars or lumber under the slab. It is important to note that a low speed should also be set due to the fact that this will exclude the discarding of the blade or disc upon contact with the surface.
Turning on the maximum speed will probably simplify the cutting process, but this increases the risk of damage to the tiles, which can simply fly into pieces. The easiest way to cut is the straight line cut, since even a beginner can handle this job. When it comes to rounding, then it will take more effort. If you have not encountered such work before, then we recommend that you first try your skills on defective material.
You can protect the tile from chips by using a special grinder or sandpaper. This work is not difficult, but it will significantly improve the quality of the cut. Thus, you can get rid of existing defects.
If you decide to choose a grinder for this work, and not sandpaper, then you need to work at the minimum speed.
Be sure to follow these guidelines:
- you need to work in special clothes;
- safety glasses are required;
- it is recommended to use earplugs when working;
- all used devices must be in good condition;
- work can only be performed by adults who know the safety rules for using a cutting tool;
- when wet processing, make sure that the sander does not get into the water, as this can lead to an electric shock;
- you cannot process slices at maximum speed;
- you need to work in a room with good ventilation.
To maintain your health, it is extremely important to follow these recommendations.
Next, see a master class on tile cutting angle grinder.
Laying tiles is not complete without the need to adjust its size to the size of the existing planes. Usually a tile cutter is used for this purpose, but not all home craftsmen have one, and the purchase of this tool is not always advisable. Sometimes you need to fit one or two tiles, and this task is easier to solve with other methods. There are several options. from using a glass cutter to drilling the desired shape. Most methods have too serious disadvantages, especially if you need to separate a narrow strip.
The cutting technique depends on the material, thickness and cut configuration. The easiest way is to split the tiles in two in a straight line. To make curved, closed or open cuts, you will have to strain and perform more laborious procedures.
Let’s consider how to cut a tile with an angle grinder in a straight line:
- the cutting line is marked on the front surface with a marker.
- The tile is fixed on a flat hard surface so that the cut line runs over the edge of the base. This will help break off part of the tile after making the cut to the desired depth.
- Switch on the angle grinder, wait a couple of seconds to reach the maximum rotation speed.
- Carefully make an incision by sliding the angle grinder towards you. The disc touches the surface from the outside so that the thickness of the tool does not reduce the width of the tile.
- Hold the tool firmly and do not allow it to vibrate or swing from side to side. This will ensure a smooth and clean cut without chipping.
It is often necessary to make a slant cut in order to close the surfaces tightly when facing the outer corners of the walls. Consider how to properly cut ceramic tiles at an angle of 45 ° at home with an angle grinder:
- mark the line with a marker.
- Fix the tile on an even and rigid base so that the cutting line is outside the table.
- Cut tiles in a straight line.
- Rotate the angle grinder at an angle and carefully finish the edge to the desired bevel.
- Finally bring the edge to the desired state using a grindstone (bar).
In order to make a curly cut, you must:
- draw a cutout shape on the tile surface.
- Fasten the tiles so that the cut-out is free.
- the angle grinder carefully make several cuts along the contour of the figure. Alternatively, make a deep cruciform cut along the central axes and gradually trim the inner part, approaching the edges.
- When the shape of the cut is as close as possible to the required state, the final revision is made using a file or sandpaper with a coarse grain.
Large openings (for sewer pipes or other communications) are performed as follows:
- the center of the hole is marked and a hole with a diameter of 3-4 mm is made using a special drill.
- A circle is outlined on the front and back sides, which must be cut.
- On both sides, cuts are carefully made along the contour of the future hole. The depth of the cuts is 2-3 mm. It is not recommended to do more, as there will be a threat to go beyond the border of the circle and spoil the edges.
- Through cuts are made in the central part of the hole, after which pieces of tile are carefully broken off by pliers along the cut line of the cut.
- Finishing the edge of the hole is made using sandpaper rolled into a roll.
Open cutouts in tiles are easiest to make with a fixed angle grinder. The technique resembles working on a grinding machine. the disc rotates in a vertical plane, the tile is fed onto the tool and cuts are made along the edges. After that, the central part of the cut is removed and its inner edge is cleaned.
Important! Making cutouts and holes is a complex procedure that requires accuracy and precision. You should not rush, rush will lead to damage to the material.
How to cut ceramic angle grinder
One of the tools used to cut ceramic tiles is a grinder. an angle grinder (angle grinder), commonly called an angle grinder in everyday life.
The price range of various grinder models makes it available not only to professionals, but also to home craftsmen, so when using an angle grinder, you need to know not only the capabilities of this power tool, but also the rules for handling it in order to avoid injury.
using a angle grinder to cut ceramic tiles
angle grinder is best used with adjustable speed
At home, a small grinder is used, designed to work with discs with a diameter of 100-125 mm and performing many operations. The tool can be equipped with a speed controller.
What disc to cut porcelain stoneware
Safety precautions for working angle grinder
To avoid injury while operating the angle grinder, the following rules must be observed:
- when working, use personal protective equipment. gloves, overalls, safety shoes, glasses, respirator;
- you can work as a grinder only with a steel protective cover installed on the tool;
- the length of the grinder’s electric cable must be at least 2 m, which reduces the risk of damage by a rotating disc during operation;
- cut in the direction “away from you”, holding the tool with both hands;
- the direction of rotation of the disc must coincide with the direction of translation of the angle grinder;
- cut the material by immersing the grinder disc into the cutting line no more than one third of the radius;
- each material must be processed with the appropriate disc, that is, a ceramic tile cannot be cut with a metal cutting attachment, and a stone cutting disc is not intended for grinding ceramics (grinding with a steel “dry cutter” is possible);
- during operation of the angle grinder, both extremely low and maximum high speed values should be avoided;
- it is forbidden to cut with a grinder material immersed in water in order to reduce the amount of dust generated due to the danger of electric shock;
Dust is explosive, so cut or grind material with an angle grinder in a well-ventilated area.
How and how to cut porcelain stoneware floor tiles. selection and work with tools
In connection with the high strength characteristics of artificial finishing ceramic stone during installation, a number of questions often arise: how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles for floors and walls, is it possible to cut it at home, how to avoid chips? Depending on the quality of the tile and its parameters, recommendations for work differ, but a number of tools and technologies for working with them can be distinguished to achieve an optimal result when cutting porcelain stoneware.
Solid dry cutters
With this type of dry cutter, you can not only cut ceramic tiles, but also process the cutting edge with a working side surface. The absence of detonation of the tool during operation due to the solid shape of the disc increases the cutting speed, allows you to cut a fragment evenly and reduces the number of chips.
Angle Grinder Cutting Large Holes
The center of the circle is marked on the ceramics with an alcohol marker and a through hole with a diameter of 3-4 mm is drilled with a carbide drill exactly along the mark. Then, on both sides of the tile, a contour of a circle of a given diameter is applied. an angle grinder with a disc make cuts 1-2 mm deep along the contour of the future hole on both sides of the tile, and then make through cuts inside the contour and remove small fragments of ceramics from it with nippers. The inner surface of the cut along the perimeter of the hole can be processed with coarse sandpaper or a file until there are no chips.
Tile cutting with an angle grinder is performed using a diamond grinding wheel
Ceramic Cutting Discs Angle Grinder
To cut ceramic tiles, an angle grinder uses stone or diamond-coated steel discs (dry cutters). Dry cutters, in turn, are divided into solid and segmented. The more intense the diamond spraying on the dry cutter, the more efficient and durable the disc will be.
Discs come in stone or steel