What electric screwdriver for ice drilling?. Characteristics for extended autonomous operation
Top 10 best screwdrivers for ice drills and which one to choose: rating 2019-2020 and buyer reviews
But not every fisherman is ready to carry a bulky and heavy motorized device.
Therefore, the most resourceful use an ordinary electric screwdriver.
It is the best alternative because the tool is small, light weight, low cost.
But here there is a basic question. what model to choose. The article discusses the best screwdrivers for ice picks, their advantages and disadvantages.
Rating of the best screwdrivers for ice drilling
Our top list includes only the best screwdrivers for ice picks, which have optimal characteristics. Each model has received the most positive reviews from users. In compiling the rating, we have not forgotten to take into account the pros and cons of each model.
What electric screwdriver for the ice drill would you choose or advise?
The best tools at a low price
Here are the best screwdrivers for ice drills at a reasonable price.
This impactless tool is distinguished by its reliability. The model has several speeds, high-quality backlight and convenient buttons to control the device. The side handle of the device is characterized by ergonomics, and the robust housing allows you to use the device in all climatic conditions.
As a side note! The product can be equipped with 4 or 5 Ah batteries.
- type of drill. electric screwdriver;
- additional option. drilling;
- backlight. yes;
- auxiliary handle. yes;
- Compatible with batteries, 4 and 5 Ah. yes;
- Length. 238 mm;
- weight. 2.1 kg.
- good power;
- comfortable grip;
- anti-runner pads;
- affordable price;
- Long service life;
- possibility of use in all weather conditions.
This model is distinguished by quality and reliability. The product has several speed modes. The device withstands higher loads, so it is suitable for professional use. The model is equipped with an additional handle for ease of use. The device has a powerful motor with a reliable protection.
The product is characterized by a rich set of features. The electric screwdriver itself is equipped with two 5 Ah batteries.
The main advantage of the product. the optimal combination of cost / quality. The main disadvantage. in the case of breakage of an electric screwdriver, it will be almost impossible to restore its work.
- The look and feel of an electric screwdriver;
- additional option. drilling;
- backlighting. yes;
- additional handle. yes;
- limitation of the start button. yes;
- dimensions (ДхВ). 200х208 mm;
- weight. 2.0.8 kg.
- light weight;
- high strength;
- increased endurance;
- two 5 Ah batteries are provided with the device;
- good torque rating;
- high resistance to negative temperatures;
- high-quality illumination, which allows you to use the product in the dark;
- good power;
- does not overheat.
This is a powerful device that has a handy handle and a backlight for use in the evening. The product features a good torque value and several modes, which allows you to easily form a hole even in a thick and dense layer of ice.
- Type. drill-driver-electric screwdriver;
- additional option. drilling;
- backlight. yes;
- auxiliary handle. yes;
- limitation of the start button. yes;
- compatible with batteries, 4 and 5 Ah. yes
- The dimensions (DhV). 225h259 mm;
- weight. 2.3 kg.
- case has a reliable protection against moisture;
- good power rating;
- The presence of the indicator, which shows the battery power;
- comfortable side handle, which facilitates the process of drilling;
- The ability to use the battery capacity of 4 and 5 Ah;
- Excellent assembly without backlash;
- handy case;
- ergonomic handle.
The best mid-priced tools
Here are the best screwdrivers for ice drills,
Bosch GSR 18V-60 FC 5.0Ah x2 L-BOXX
This tool is distinguished by a rich complete set and functionality, which allows you to use it in a variety of conditions. In addition, the model is characterized by the safety of use, because it has a reliable protection against overloading. The product has several setting modes, allowing you to set the most suitable option.
Rating of screwdrivers for the ice drill
The following will show the best screwdrivers for fishing as a drill.
Makita DDF481RF cordless drill/driver Li-Ion 3.0 Ah 18 V x1 Case
Gearbox and gearbox housing. metal. The best electric ice pick drill. Great battery life, fast charging, backlight, quick-action chuck. Makita 18V LXT cordless system, battery charger.
Battery compatibility with 4 Ah;
Bosch GSR 18V-110 Li-lon 5 Ah x1 L-BOXX Cordless Electric Screwdriver
Powerful electric screwdriver with high torque of 110 Nm. Quick-action chuck. GAL 18V-40 quick charger, 5 Ah battery capacity. Brushless motor, weight 2.55 kg., Concrete drill bit included.
2 GBA 18V 5 batteries.0Ah;
L-BOXX 136 case.
AEG BSB 18BL LI-602C cordless impact drill/driver
This device is probably the answer to the question of which electric screwdriver is best for the ice drill. Manufacturer China, suitable for use in cold weather or cold climates. 140 Nm torque, impact function. 32,000 rpm. Lithium-ion battery pack, drilling.
AEG PRO18V cordless system;
DeWALT DCD991NT cordless electric drill/driver, without battery
Original DeWALT assembly, no heat when working long hours, budget choice. Metal gear housing, LED-lighting, brushless motor. Magnetic holder and belt clip. Compatible with the line of cordless tools of this brand.
VESSEL Cordless Rechargeable Ballgrip Screwdriver
DeWALT 20V MAX cordless system.
Metabo BS 18 LTX Cordless Electric Screwdriver Quick 2013 5.2Ah x2 Case
You can get the complete package, expensive, but worth the money. Quick-action chuck, easy rock drilling, backlight. Batteries can handle maximum speed. High torque, ergonomic handle.
hook for attaching to belt;
work in the drill stand;
Makita DHP451RFE cordless impact drill/driver
Comfortable in the hand, powerful. Included in the top 5 screwdrivers that can work in the cold season. Lighting, three speed settings, quick-release chuck. impact function. 25500 beats/min., 18V lithium-ion battery pack.
Makita 18V LXT cordless system;
drilling with impact;
Metabo SB 18 LTX BL I 0 cordless impact drill, without battery
Fast, powerful and powerful Metabo electric screwdriver. Impact mode, quick-action chuck. Sturdy handle. High torque, handles metal quite well.
STANLEY SBI201D2K cordless electric impact screwdriver
Brushless motor. quality materials, affordable price. There is a Chinese version of the assembly. Judging by the value of the torque of 160 Nm, you can not ponder over which electric screwdriver to choose for the ice drill. Rubber-coated handle. lithium-ion batteries, easy-to-use bit loading system. magnet on top back of chassis, chuck for bits.
battery discharge indicator;
2 batteries included;
power button lock;
RYOBI R18PD7-0 cordless impact drill, without battery
85 Nm torque, brushless motor, inexpensive price tag. Works in concrete and brick, voltage 18 V, impact mode. 23400 rpm. Ergonomic handle, attractive design.
drilling depth limiter;
Cordless Electric Screwdriver Zubr DB-20 A5 Li-Ion 1.5 Ah 20 V x2 case
A professional unit, easy to regulate torque. Metal gear housing and chuck, balancing plate in the battery. Solid build quality. powerful and durable tool.
Battery charging time 0.5 ч;
How powerful an electric screwdriver should be?
If you pick up the tool by productivity, then it is necessary to start with voltage. Power should be at least 18 volts. Many people buy the more powerful 36-volt models for drilling through thick ice. This characteristic determines the power capabilities and ability of the ice drill to penetrate the thickest layers.
High-torque screwdrivers are expensive and weigh a lot. For budget models, manufacturers have found a way out. an adapter with a built-in gear reducer. The device reduces the output speed, which leads to reduced load on the tool itself. Adapter on the drill side is equipped with a special shaft and hex head for an electric screwdriver. With it there is an opportunity to turn any auger for manual use into a full-fledged power tool. Just need to compare their sizes.
Experienced winter fishing enthusiasts note that in most cases the power of an electric screwdriver is enough, the main thing when drilling holes is convenient in handling. They are obtained in the form of a cylinder with smooth edges without dangerous cracks and chips. It does not create unnecessary noise that scares fish away.
Rating of top 10 best models
Which electric screwdriver is better for winter fishing?? It is necessary to buy tested samples, included in the rating of frequently sold products. You will have to choose a device according to professional reviews and quality indicators.
In the category of budget devices include units with the cost up to 10 thousand. The list of the most sold out is presented:
- BLACKDECKER BL186KB. has rubberized body, small size and additional light. Increased performance, no overheating is provided by brushless motor, torque is adjustable with 22 positions. The complete set is standard: 2 batteries, charger and storage case.
- Hitachi DS18DS FL. weighs 1.7 kg, comfort and convenience is achieved due to the ergonomic enclosure. Sample features air cooling, multiple operating modes. Kit consists of 2 batteries, handheld flashlight, charger, bits, bit holder, mechanically resistant briefcase. Charging time of the equipment is 40 min.
- Makita DF331DWYE. features long service life, low weight of 1.1 kg. The device has a power key lock, spot lighting for dark times of the day. The maximum speed is 1700 rpm, the set consists of a case and 2 batteries. The disadvantages of the machine include the lack of special bushings for bits on the housing.
- Makita DHP482Z. the device regulates the number of blows and rotations, has a capacity of 54 Nm. The set of equipment does not provide the presence of batteries, battery case, they must be purchased separately. The weight of the equipment does not exceed 1.8 kg, the maximum speed reaches 1900 units, there is additional lighting. There is no additional handle in the surf.
- Interskol DAU-13/18VK Li-Ion. 2 batteries, charger, carrying case and user’s manual are delivered together with the equipment. Quality assembly, the equipment operates at different temperatures and in all conditions.
Another interesting option: Zubr DAI-18-2-Li KNM4. This domestic device can be used for construction work, as well as for combining with an ice drill. The metal housing is resistant to mechanical damage, the device uses a brushless motor and an electronic brake that limits it. Completion is standard, and the simplicity and ease of operation has made the equipment popular among fishermen. The disadvantages of the apparatus include a small battery capacity and quick discharge, the lack of a secondary handle.
Drill for winter fishing
So, winter fishing is a process that takes place during the cold season, that is, when the bodies of water are covered with ice. In order to get to water, the fisherman needs to drill holes with a special device, and in them place the floats of rods with bait. To create a hole, such items as a crowbar or a drill are used, with the latter being considered more popular and convenient. Among the conveniences of use can be noted:
- Ability to punch holes in the ice, which has greater thickness, and at the same time to spend less time and effort;
- the resulting hole has a cylinder shape with smooth edges without chips and cracks in the cover, which can be dangerous;
- when using does not create unnecessary noise, which is important because it scares the fish, and thus the fishing process can become unsuccessful.
The design of the auger is simple, it consists of a clevis, which is a knee-shaped handle with a special chuck for clamping the cutting part (knives, drills) they can be sphere-shaped or straight. Its use requires no small effort.
To facilitate the drilling of the ice thickness, craftsmen have designed automated devices, upgrading conventional devices, using as an additional element an electric tool (electric screwdriver). By combining the two devices, a number of qualities are acquired:
- saving time, as a rule, for a more fruitful fishing requires more than one hole, and their drilling takes a lot of time, with the help of an electric add-on the procedure is faster, so there is more time and effort for the fishing itself;
- ease of use, no additional strength or skill is required;
- The ability to work with all types of ice, including dry and thick ice;
- the tool is also kept low noise level;
- versatility, it is possible to use an electric screwdriver for the intended purpose.
Of course, such a development has qualities that can not be considered positive, among them:
- battery failure, this occurs in cases where the temperature drops below the manufacturer’s specifications;
- instability of operation, this happens if you run the auger counterclockwise, after several turns, the adapter comes apart and begins to slip inside the chuck.
Best Electric Precision Screwdrivers in 2021 | Best Power Screwdrivers | Electric Screwdriver Review
But despite this, automated ice drills are very popular among fans of winter fishing.
The device of the automatic drill
The advanced ice drilling device consists of such parts:
Adapter, or adapter, is an integral part of such a design, it acts as a connecting element between the drill and the electric screwdriver. If you want to make your own adapter, you need a steel rod with an appropriate diameter. Next, one edge of it should be trimmed into a tail for attachment and drill holes to secure the adapter to the ice drill pipe.
Ranking the top 16 best ice drill screwdrivers for 2021-2022
|The top 5 ice picks by price/quality for 2021-2022|
|1||Rokodil Twist 2 Pro||Find out the price|
|2||Makita DDF485RF Li-Ion 3 Ah 18 V x1 Case||See the price|
|3||Bosch GSR 180-LI 2.0Ah x2 case||Learn the price|
|4||Metabo BS 18 L BL 2.0Ah x2 case||Check price|
|5||DeWALT DCD77D2T||Find out the price|
|Top 4 best Chinese ice drill wrenches|
|1||Worx WX175 2.0Ah x2 case||Ask the price|
|2||WHIRLWIND DA-20L-2K||Learn the price|
|3||Bort BAB-24X2LI-XDK Li-Ion 2.0A 24V x2 case||Check price|
|4||Worx WX183.1 2.0Ah x2 case||Check price|
|Top 4 best powerful screwdrivers for ice drills|
|1||Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013 3.5Ah x1 LiHD box||Find out the price|
|2||Makita DDF481RTE Li-Ion 5 Ah 18 V x2 case||Find out the price|
|3||STANLEY SBI201D2K||Learn the price|
|4||Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013 0 box, without battery||information about the price|
|Top 3 best inexpensive screwdrivers for winter fishing|
|1||Makita DF0300, box, 320 W||Learn the price|
|2||Interskol DAU-13/18V||To know the price|
|3||Makita DDF482Z, without battery||Check out the price|
Important aspects when selecting an electric ice pick screwdriver are:
- Power. the higher the power, the easier the tool will cope with tough tough ice. The best option is a model with a capacity of 36 V, but the best cost and quality most often becomes screwdrivers with a capacity of 18-20 V;
- torque. facilitates the process of drilling, do not pay attention to models with indicators less than 50 N-m, and to devices more than 100 N-m will have to adjust;
- battery type. lithium-ion batteries are the most popular due to their cost, durability and battery life;
- Additional options and accessories. a second handle and adapter for fixation is not superfluous.
Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013
Professional model. Ideal for use on the ice drill. torque 110 N. Can handle up to 1 m of ice. Good kit. carrying case, three 4 Ah lithium-ion cells, battery charger. Electric screwdriver held firmly in the hands because of the side handle, which increases working safety. The best electric auger screwdriver for cost/power ratio.
Reliable power drill from renowned manufacturer. Ergonomic, weighs 1.2 kg. Develops a working force of 65 N. m. can drill through ice up to 60 cm. Includes two batteries, battery charger, handy carrying case. Reverse, electronic speed control. Capacity charge 1.5 Ah. this may not be enough for a day of fishing at low temperatures. Other disadvantages: no second handle, overpriced.
Bosch GSR 18V-60
The features of this electric screwdriver are well suited for winter fishing. Cordless unit has a torque of 60 N. M. when installed on the ice drill, it can easily handle ice up to 60 cm in depth. Equipped with two 5 Ah lithium-ion batteries, this is enough for drilling dozens of holes even at temperatures below.20˚ C. Sold in a carrying case and comes with a battery charger. Disadvantages. no handle for the second hand, overpriced.
Adapter for ice pick
Adapter is an intermediate element that connects an electric screwdriver with a drill. No way to automate the ice axe without it. Usually, the adapter consists of two parts: a square or hexagonal rod with a diameter of at least 2.5 cm (for an electric screwdriver) and on the back of a wider round shaft with a hole for the fixing bolt (for an auger).Today such adapters are sold in fishing stores, they cost about 10, but if you can find a piece of thick-walled pipe and a metal rod in the garage, then you can try to make an adapter yourself. The main thing is that both parts have the same center of rotation, otherwise the ice axe will “dance” instead of drilling.
Before focusing on specific models, it is worth mentioning the attempts of some fishermen to equip the ice axe with other devices, electric and not only. Wrenches, drills and even chain saws are used. Technically it is possible to do this, but very difficult. This is especially true for the saw. That is why it is better to choose an electric screwdriver.
So, an electric ice axe screwdriver, which one to choose?? Fishermen have tried many variants, but not all of them have stood the test worthily. In practice, only some models have shown good results. Let’s list them and give them a brief description:
- Hitachi DS18DSFL. perfectly balanced tool with comfortable rubberized handle. Voltage is 18 volts. Powered by a lithium-ion battery with a capacity of 1.5 A / h (in the kit they are two). It weighs only 1.7 kg, so even with prolonged use the hand does not get tired. The Makita 8434DWFE has a carrying case for transportation. A bit lacking in power, 41 Nm for drilling holes is not enough. Fishermen, who have to drill holes in the dark, note that this wrench could use a backlight.
- Makita 8434DWFE. a compact, fairly light electric screwdriver weighing 2.5 kg. Powered by 3 Ah Ni-MH batteries. At 14.4 volts has a maximum torque of 70 Nm. High durability, quick-action chuck and side handle can also be attributed to the pluses.
- Bosch GSR18-2-LI Plus. professional tool with the best performance/price ratio. Has a system of protection of the electric motor from overloads, which ensures the longevity of the device. Weight 1.1 kg, battery type. Li-Ion, battery capacity. 2.0 A / h, the voltage. 18 V, the maximum torque. 63 Nm. Flashlight for illuminating the working area.
These models are not very expensive and not the most powerful, but they cope well with drilling a few dozen holes. With proper use and proper care will last more than one season.