What Gas For Push Pull Trimmer
- Selection tips
- How to use?
Gas trimmers are some of the most popular grass mowing devices. They are easy to use, mobile, allow a person not to depend on the outlet and show excellent results in places of their use. But for the stable operation of the gas trimmer, quality supplies are needed. In particular, we are talking about gasoline and oil. It is about the last component that we will discuss in this article.
Engine oil is a special mixture consisting of a solvent and additives that reduce friction. They form a certain viscosity and do not allow the composition to thicken when the temperature is lowered. Usually, oils are specially painted in various colors: green, red or blue. This allows them not to be confused.
Keep in mind that they may vary in composition, so oil for gas trimmers will be labeled “for gardening equipment”. In addition, it may still differ in labeling: “2T” or “4T”. The first is a two-stroke oil that is poured into the corresponding engine. And the second is intended for pouring into the crankcase.
High-quality oil that can be poured into a gas trimmer must meet a number of requirements and standards to ensure reliable operation of the device and its performance. Oil should:
- To provide increased wear resistance for various elements (in particular, the gearbox is particularly susceptible to this);
- Ensure the lowest possible smoke and exhaust gases;
- Prevent premature ignition
- Mix well with gasoline when exposed to low temperatures;
- Have good viscosity and fluidity in various temperature ranges;
- Be as safe as possible in terms of environmental impact.
As already mentioned, two-stroke engine oil will differ from four-stroke formulations. It has higher power, which is why fuel for it is obtained by mixing a certain amount of gasoline and oil. For each lawn mowing ratio will be different. You can find out its value in the instructions for the device. These proportions must be observed with maximum accuracy. When adding additives, the type of motor must be considered.
If mineral oils are used, mixing should occur somewhere in the ratio of 1: 25, 30 or 35, depending on the type. If we are talking about a synthetic analogue, then the proportion will be 1: 50 or to 80. That is, a certain amount of oil dissolves in the volume of gasoline.
The oil that is poured into the motor may vary in the method of preparation. According to this criterion, it happens:
- Mineral. This type is obtained during the processing of petroleum products;
- Synthetic. It is obtained during the processing or synthesis of gas;
- Semi-synthetic. This type has more advanced characteristics due to the introduction of synthetic-based components into it.
Lawn-mowing oil refers to formulations intended for use in air-cooled engines that have a combustion chamber volume of 50-200 cubic centimeters. In addition, any two-stroke oil can differ from analogues in additives, which give it certain additional characteristics. They are of the following types.
- Antiwear. The main objective of the oil will be to reduce the wear of parts during operation of the device.
- Antioxidant. They do not allow oxidation to occur and make it possible to maintain the performance of the oil for a long time.
- Corrosion resistant. Their task is to prevent corrosion from forming on engine parts.
- Friction modifiers. These additives can significantly reduce the coefficient of friction.
Recently, when purchasing oil for dilution with gasoline, users very often encounter the fact that special letter abbreviations are applied to canisters. These designations are performed as part of the API classification. Consider what types of oils exist in accordance with it.
- Ta applies to air-cooled lawn mowers, the engine capacity of which is not more than 50 cubic centimeters. It can be used not only for mowers, but also for mopeds, lawn mowers and other types of equipment. For a gas trimmer, this is the optimal solution.
- Tb is used to refuel a chainsaw, scooter, moped or motorcycle, the engine capacity of which does not exceed 200 cubic centimeters. It can also be used for refueling gas trimmers.
- Tc suitable for dilution with gasoline and pouring into a snowmobile, motorcycle and other types of equipment.
- Td is for refueling boats, yachts and hoverboards.
But in addition to this classification, other FA-FD type letters are often found. It should be said that the API is an American standard that is applied in Europe. But there is a mismatch between European smoke emission standards and American. For this reason, additional lettering should also be taken into account.
- Fa can be used in countries where the law provides for minimal exhaust emissions. When using oil with this marking, faint smoke may be produced.
- Fb. Can be used in countries where smoke and gas restrictions are much stricter. In this case, smoke will hardly be emitted.
- Fc. Here appears smoke of a transparent color, which the human eye cannot notice.
- Fd. A special category of oils for 2-stroke engines, they do not create smoke at all. They have enhanced chemical properties. Typically, this oil is used for mixing with gasoline and subsequent refueling of boats and yachts.
In addition, oils come in two more categories:
In the first case, this will mean that it is necessary to carry out independent mixing, which does not require shaking, and in the second case, you will need to do it.
Now let’s try to understand how to choose high-quality oil for a trimmer that runs on gasoline. The main feature that you need to pay attention to is the alkaline number. This moment excludes the oxidation of parts in which friction is observed, and decelerates their deformation as much as possible. The more this compound is used, the faster it loses alkalinity and becomes more oxidized. The optimal indicator of acidity (PH) is a value of not less than 8-9 units.
The second important factor, which also has a major impact on the operation of the gas trimmer, is the viscosity of the oil. This characteristic determines the possibility of using the device at various temperatures. Summer brands of oils begin to thicken already with a minimum decrease in temperature.
The third point, the importance of which should not be minimized, is the flash point. This indicator should not be less than 225 degrees. Otherwise, the composition will burn out very quickly and the load on the piston group will begin to increase, which will cause its accelerated wear. In addition, oil for a 4-stroke engine is not suitable for a 2-stroke. Namely, the latter type of motors is used in the vast majority of lawn mowers.
If we talk about manufacturers, then you can make a small rating, which will allow you to navigate in the compositions offered by various manufacturers. For instance, stihl company It offers high-quality synthetic and mineral oils that have already established themselves as an excellent solution at any time of the year.
Considered very good Shell Helix Ultra Oil. Experts note its high characteristics and excellent alkalinity and viscosity. In addition, products of brands such as Oleo-Mac, Motul, Hammerflex, Echo. If we talk about products of domestic brands, then you should pay attention to Lukoil oil. Its price is several times lower than its foreign counterparts, but at the same time it has high quality and good technical characteristics.
How to use?
Information on the proportions of oil use was given above. We must say right away that you should not deviate from the indicated values and dilute gasoline by eye. In the best case, you just need to change the oil, and in the worst you can’t avoid a motor breakdown.
It is important to be able to cook the mixture correctly. It is impossible to fill it in a gas tank. It is better to pour oil in a special container that already contains gasoline. A plastic mineral bottle is perfect for this. It is very important that it is clean, which is why beer or milk bottles will not work. And it is better that it be a liter or two-liter, since it will be difficult for many to calculate how much oil to fill in a 1.5-liter or 1.25-liter bottle. You will also need to have a syringe on hand, which will serve as a dosimeter. It is best to take a regular medical for 10 or more cubes.
Now step by step explain how to make good oil for a gas trimmer.
- First you need to know exactly what type of oil is required for a particular model of the braid, and also find out the exact ratio of gasoline and oil to create a mixture.
- Then you need to fill the container. The tank should not be filled with gasoline to the end, because the oil should also fit there;
- Now we collect the necessary amount of 2-stroke oil into the syringe and pour it into a bottle with gasoline. You can’t do the opposite, otherwise you will need to replace all the ingredients, and the mixture will need to be done again.
- Close the bottle with a lid and stir. It is important not to forget that stirring the mixture is necessary if there are Premix words on the oil bottle. If Selfmix is written there, then after mixing the substances everything is poured into the tank.
Now it remains only to refuel the gas trimmer, and you can carry out the necessary work.
See how to choose oil for gas trimmers in the next.
The chainsaw engine is the “heart” of the tool, so it is very important to use a properly prepared fuel mixture.
Fuel mixture for a chainsaw It is prepared from two components. Oil and gasoline. Chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, so the oil is not added to the lubrication system (like a four-stroke engine), but directly to gasoline. At the same time, it is very important to observe the correct proportions of the ingredients, of course, in no case try to work on pure gasoline, because in this way you will very quickly “kill” the chainsaw.
If we talk about which gasoline to pour into a chainsaw, it will optimally use fuel with an octane rating A-95, in this case, fuel economy can turn out disastrously. Often, European manufacturers indicate that A-90 or A-92 gasoline can be used, but in post-Soviet countries the quality of gasoline is inferior to European, so in our realities it is better to use better gasoline.
As for the most proportions of a benzo-oiled mixture, then everything is simple: you must follow the instructions for the tool. All manufacturers of chainsaws indicate the necessary ratio in the instruction manual or in the instrument passport, in addition, the proportions for refueling the chainsaw may differ depending on the model of the chainsaw. As a rule, the proportion of oil and gasoline to a chainsaw of famous manufacturers is a ratio of 1:40 or 1:50, which means 1 part of oil for, for example, 40 parts of gasoline. Now arithmetic 1 liter of gasoline = 1000 ml of gasoline, divide by 40 and get 25 ml of oil. If you perform the same steps to the ratio 1:50, then we get 20 ml of oil per 1 liter of gasoline. As for budget-made Chinese chainsaws, the situation is slightly different. The ratio of gasoline and oil for chainsaw made in China 1:25, that is, 1000 ml of gasoline is divided by 25, we get 40 ml of oil. The thing is that in branded chainsaws a good assembly and the distance between the pistons and cylinders in the engine is much smaller than that of Chinese chainsaws, therefore the required amount of oil differs almost twice.
In order to measure the correct portion of oil, use a regular medical syringe of sufficient volume.
Another subtlety. In a dry canister for gasoline, first fill in gasoline, and then oil. On the contrary, the procedure is fraught with a poor quality fuel mixture, because the oil is more dense, sticks to the bottom of the canister. What a good mix.
Be sure to prepare the fuel mixture in a can and pour ready-made special fuel into the gas tank! Never cook or mix directly in the fuel tank of a chainsaw!
If the question of how to breed gasoline for a chainsaw figured out, then on storage conditions and shelf life of the fuel mixture It is worth saying a few words. It’s best and easier to prepare a 1-liter gasoline-oil mixture, it is recommended to do this immediately before working with the tool. The fuel tanks of chainsaws have a volume of 0.3 to 1 liter. In domestic use, in one session, the entire volume of the prepared combustible mixture is rarely used, so the remainder can be saved until the next session. It is necessary to store the fuel mixture in a special canister for gasoline, in a dry, dark place. It is optimal to calculate that shelf life of the finished mixture will be 7-10 days. The fact is that the oil currently on the market is not synthetic, but organic, that is, natural. After 10 days, all lubricating properties are lost, gasoline simply “eats” the oil. Naturally, it is no longer possible to use such fuel, this can cause breakdown and failure of the chainsaw.
At the end of the work, it is necessary to drain the fuel mixture, start the chainsaw, the tool stalls (so that the saw has a dry carburetor) and now you can leave it until the next operation session.
Unsuitable fuel mixture must be disposed of.