What grass can be mowed with a lawn mower
- STIGA SLM4048AE. The most popular cordless lawn mower from a Swedish manufacturer. In the presence of the function of collecting or mulching grass, rear discharge, the swath width is 38 cm, a viewing window is provided in the 40-liter grass collector, allowing you to control its filling. There is a central 6-step cutting height adjustment, the range varies from 25 to 75 mm. The motor power is 500 W.
- AL-KO MOWEO 38.5LI. Cordless lawnmower with non-self-propelled design. The model is designed for mowing an area of 300 square meters. m, has a strip width of 37 cm, a cut height of grass in the range of 25-75 mm, a 45 l grass catcher is included, there is no mulching function.
- Hyundai L 5100S. Model of a lawn mower with a 4-stroke 5 HP motor. with., has the ability to literally pull the grass under the knife. The technique is optimal for processing large areas from 15 acres, is effective, has an adjustable working speed and cutting height. Ideal for mowing tall grass.
- Caiman Xplorer 60S 4000360901. This model of self-propelled lawnmower is equipped with a four-stroke gasoline engine and is able to cope with work both within private and public areas. With its help, you can take care of the slopes of rivers and lakes, roadsides, lawns and parks, destroy dense weeds, cut off young growth of shrubs. The cutting height range varies from 55-120 mm, the wheelbase is three-point, and ensures high maneuverability of the equipment. The mass of the self-propelled device is quite large, reaching 50 kg.
- Champion LM5345. A modern powerful petrol lawnmower capable of working with or without mulching. The four-wheel rear-wheel drive design weighs 36 kg and is equipped with a 4-stroke 3 hp engine. from. The cutting width reaches 53 cm, the set includes a 75 l grass catcher, the supported cutting height ranges from 25-75 mm, the adjustment is carried out in 7 levels.
The model easily copes with the most difficult tasks, well suited for caring for large areas.
- IKRA mogatec BRM 1446 S. Model with an average cutting height of 25 to 75 mm and a swath width of 46 cm, equipped with a 3-liter four-stroke gasoline engine. from. The lawn mower has 4 wheels (front pair diameter 18 cm, rear pair 20 cm), steel body. The set includes a soft grass catcher for 50 l, which allows you to collect cut stems.
- Viking MB 2 R. Petrol lawn mower suitable for use in areas no larger than 1500 square meters. m with different types of relief. The three-wheel steel construction is easy to maneuver, has a cutting width of up to 46 cm and is capable of cutting grass up to 77 mm. The model has a mulching function that shreds waste, there is no grass collector.
- Huter GLM-5.0 S. Model with a relatively small cutting width (46 cm) and a powerful 4-stroke 5 hp engine. from. The mower is supplied with a rigid 60 l collection compartment, the mowing height is adjustable at 5 levels, in the range from 20 to 85 mm. The equipment is quite heavy. 40 kg in weight, the body is durable, steel.
- BOSCH Advanced Rotak 760. Low-noise lawn mower from a well-known brand, weighs only 16 kg, has a cutting width of 46 cm, is equipped with a comfortable soft grass catcher with a volume of 50 liters. The model is capable of leaving a grass carpet with a height of 2-8 cm, adjustment is carried out on 7 levels.
The power of the built-in electric motor is 1800 W, which is quite enough to care for a plot of 10 acres.
- AL-KO Classic 3.82 se. The lawn mower, made in Germany, is equipped with a 1400 W motor, is able to maintain performance for a long time, and is not subject to overheating. Large wheels handle difficult terrain well.
- Daewoo Power Products DLM 1600E. The electric lawnmower with a rigid compact 40L grass catcher has an acceptable power of 1600W and is capable of efficiently mowing 34cm grass at a height of 25-65mm. The model has a central adjustment on 5 levels, 4 wheels, a light body weighing no more than 10.5 kg.
- DDE LME3110. The simplest of the electric lawn mowers recommended for work in areas with difficult terrain. This model is well suited for small areas. This technique has a cutting width of 46 cm and comes with a small, rigid 26 liter grass catcher. The motor has a power of 1070 W, and in this the lawn mower loses much to its counterparts.
Rating of the best models
Among the models that can successfully cope with work in heavily overgrown or uneven terrain, both gasoline and electric options can be noted.
Basic requirements for lawn mowers
What should be a lawn mower for uneven terrain and what points should you pay attention to? The first and most important thing to consider: wild vegetation requires processing with a unit with a powerful motor. If a mixture of shrubs and grass is present on the site, it is better to take a lawn mower from 1500 W, with a metal blade-disc as a cutting element. She will be able to cope even with difficult tasks and does not require frequent sharpening.
For uneven areas, the need for a high-quality grass cut becomes a serious problem. If you have to regularly overcome obstacles in the form of bumps, work on slopes and hills, it is better to give preference to models with gear shifting and wheel drive from the very beginning. The best choice would be a technique with which you can mow the surface of the lawn or wild vegetation at different speeds, there should be from 4 front and 1 rear. Starting is more convenient with an electric starter, it is also found on gasoline models.
Another important requirement for uneven terrain is a mower with large wheels that can provide comfort when turning and maneuvering.
In addition, you need to pay attention to the location of the engine. in powerful models it is located on top, in others it is hidden in the case. The more difficult the terrain, the heavier the mower should be.
It is imperative to make sure that the cutting element has sufficient resistance to hitting hard objects and obstacles. When it comes to dumping grass, it is more convenient to use a model of a lawn mower with a grass catcher or side discharge. Versions with a mulching mechanism also grind particles that get inside, turning them into a finished fertilizer.
Suitable mower types
Which lawn mowers are suitable for heavily overgrown areas? First of all, here it is recommended to use self-propelled gasoline models that can easily travel long distances. Due to the presence of a drive on wheels, the user needs to exert much less effort, and the grass can be mowed even in an open field without fear of problems. Non-self-propelled models have to be pushed with muscular strength. It will be difficult for an elderly person or fragile woman to deal with them.
An electric lawnmower with a cord or battery will also be useful in heavily overgrown areas. If it is possible to connect to the mains supply, it is worth choosing just such options. The limitation on the length of the wire will not be a problem in a small area, but in the work it will be necessary to take into account its presence on the surface of the lawn. Battery technology is usually less productive, the maximum operating time with it is from 30 to 60 minutes.
How to choose a lawnmower for tall grass and uneven areas?
- Basic requirements for lawn mowers
- Suitable mower types
- Rating of the best models
- Selection recommendations
Not always, caring for the site begins with mowing the lawn. Much more often summer residents or owners of a country house, after a long absence on the site, are waiting for a jungle in miniature, which they have to overcome with the help of mechanized equipment. Trimmers will not help much here, especially if you want not just to cut the vegetation at the root, but to give the territory a well-groomed look. A more reliable, user-friendly technique is needed here.
Are there lawn mowers for uneven areas and tall grass? Such options can be found among the offers of various brands. from top companies to inexpensive brands. How do you know if you can mow grass on uneven surfaces with an electric self-propelled mower? The rating of the best models and useful recommendations will help to find the best option and understand the device structure.
When deciding which lawn mower to choose for a summer residence, you should pay attention to a number of parameters that will be of greatest importance when operating the equipment.
- Area of the mowed area. Up to 500 sq. m can be processed with a manual or battery-operated non-self-propelled mower with a drum mechanism. With its help, you can quickly return to life a heavily overgrown lawn or improve the overall appearance of the site. On a larger area, it is worth using only grass mowers with a rotary mechanism.
- Equipment power. For areas with completely grassy, but abundant vegetation, equipment with indicators from 400 to 900 watts is usually sufficient. You can choose between electric and gasoline options, but robotic models that are sensitive to elevation differences will be useless in such conditions. Powerful rotary versions of mowers will cope with heterogeneous vegetation. here it is better to purchase equipment for 900-1800 W.
- The height of the grass cover. Usually, for rotary models, it is 18-120 mm, drum models are limited to 12-45 mm. The method of adjusting this indicator also matters: it is better if these are levers on wheels or a special button. If the grass is rarely cut, you need to pay attention to the lower limit of the cutting height.
- Maximum gradeability. Many models are able to successfully cut grass on slopes up to 40%. But for most mowers, these indicators are much more modest, and with a significant difference in the relief, the quality of cutting the stems will deteriorate.
- Unit weight. Two-wheeled drum models are the lightest, designed for hand carry and weigh no more than 13-15 kg. Four-wheel lawn mowers weigh up to 40 kg, petrol versions are significantly heavier due to the fuel tank and the fuel that is refueled in it. If you have to mow at different ends of the site, the weight must be taken into account.
- Type of food. Non-volatile models are preferred in cases where the site is not electrified. In addition, the petrol versions are better at handling mixed vegetation.
- Number of wheels. It directly affects the maneuverability of the equipment. Non-self-propelled drum mowers are most often two-wheeled, fairly lightweight, easy to transport. If increased maneuverability is required, it is worth giving preference to three-wheeled models with the smallest turning angle. The four-wheel model is the most sluggish, it is better for it to process areas that allow linear movement.
With these guidelines in mind, it will be much easier to make the final selection of a lawn mower suitable for uneven or overgrown areas.
In the next video, you will find an overview of the Caiman Athena 60S self-propelled petrol lawn mower for tall grass.
How to properly mow grass with a lawn mower
Arrangement of green lawns at dachas and country estates is becoming a popular pastime. At first glance, it seems that everything is simple in this matter: you have allocated a place for a green lawn, sowed the area with grass seeds and you are waiting for the field to turn into a green lawn. And only later comes the understanding of the need for proper care, and it, first of all, consists in the skillful operation of the lawn mower. It turns out that mowing the lawn is necessary not only for beauty.
Mulching function in the lawn mower
In the care of beds and lawns, various methods are used to improve soil fertility. Mulching is essential to keep lawns healthy and prevent soil erosion. Mowed grass has proven itself well as a mulch. From time to time it is recommended to mow the grass and prepare compost from it, which in winter is used as an organic fertilizer for the lawn.
On sale there are wheel units in which the mulching function is already built. With the help of this additional feature, during mowing, the lawnmower mulches grass and uncleaned fallen leaves: the process consists in chopping and carefully throwing organic matter onto the mowed part of the lawn. The advantage of such models is obvious: the lawn is cleaned of plant debris, which is recycled back to the soil surface and enriches it. But the cost of a lawn mower with additional features will be higher than the usual model.
Adjusting the cutting height on the mower
The lawn mower constructively assumes adjustment of the cutting height of the grass. The range may vary from model to model. Equipment manufacturers indicate the minimum and maximum value of this parameter in the accompanying documentation. In inexpensive models of interchangeable positions, heights are most often 3, more expensive and advanced ones can have 5-7 positions of the regulator.
For the care of bumpy lawns, a model with a wider height adjustment range is usually chosen.
The technical solution for choosing the cutting height may differ for different models. There are two types of regulation: manual and mechanical. The first involves stopping the engine and manually changing the governor position. The mechanical method allows you to change the cutting height by pressing a button on the control lever, without the need to interrupt the process.
Basic rules of lawn mowing
With a trimmer, mowing a lawn in a neglected state is much faster, but after completing this work, you need to collect the mowed greens with a rake.
Hence the conclusion: lawn mower owners should not allow the grass to grow too high.
Also, the question is often raised whether it is possible to mow wet grass with a gasoline lawn mower. The rules state: it is not recommended to work with a lawn mower in the rain or after watering, since such mowing does not differ in quality, and there is a risk of getting ugly stripes on soggy soil.
In addition, there are other rules that must be followed when mowing a lawn.
- A hot summer day is not the best time to mow the grass. Fresh cuts dry out quickly, and their yellowness spoils the appearance of the lawn.
- It is recommended to mow the lawn in the morning or evening in dry weather, one day after rain or watering, when the soil and grass are dry.
- Make sure that the mower blade is sharpened. Working with blunt knives is fraught with troubles in the form of foliage jams and grass pulling out by the roots.
- Before starting mowing, you need to use a rake to collect fallen leaves, tree branches and other debris, level out the earth mounds that are formed as a result of the vital activity of earthworms, ants and other insects.
- You should decide on the direction of the haircut so that it is at an angle to the previous one. Otherwise, the appearance of the lawn will be associated with a washboard.
- When clipping, you must observe the parallelism of the following and do not leave narrow stripes, paying attention to the grass under the wheels.
Why and how often the lawn is cut
Usually lawns are sown with grasses of the family of cereals, and mowing prevents them from flowering and fruiting. This simple technique prolongs the growing season of plants, promotes good rooting, the growth of lateral green shoots and tillering. Regular mowing helps to compact the turf, and the densely growing “cultured” grass prevents weeds from growing and spreading. Throughout the warm period, as a result of timely mowing, the green color of the lawn remains.
There is no certainty about the frequency of mowing the lawn. This parameter depends on several objective factors:
- type of sown vegetation;
- type of soil and feeding;
- seasonal characteristics of plant growth;
- purpose of the lawn.
The first lawn mowing activities begin in the spring, after the grass on the planned sown lawn rises to a height of 12-14 cm. It is recommended to mow the overwintered lawn when the greenery rises to 7-10 cm. 4-7 cm. Subsequent mowing is recommended every time the grass is pulled up to a height of 2-3 cm above the desired level.
In summer, it is not recommended to mow the lawn too short to avoid early drying of the plants.
Lawn mower problems
Like any garden tool used in gardening equipment, wheeled lawn mowing equipment requires compliance with the rules of safe use. It is possible to operate motorized equipment only in good condition. this is an unshakable requirement. And before turning on an electric or gasoline unit, you must make sure that it is intact. When carrying out work, it is necessary to observe the general safety rules and the requirements of the instructions from the manufacturer.
There are five main problems when using a lawn mower:
- hitting an obstacle;
- leaked oil;
- knives are clogged with grass;
- the unit rakes the ground together with the grass;
- rough cut.
All problems can be solved to one degree or another. In the first two situations, you will most likely have to seek help from specialists. And to prevent such problems, it is recommended to check the area before cutting for stones and other objects in the grass of the lawn, and also not to store the device upside down.
Young, soft and succulent grass can clog the ejection hole, and then unstable, ragged motor operation is observed. In this case, you need to periodically stop work to clean the hole from the adhered grass segments using a thin sharp tool.
When the mower is powerfully picking up not only the stalks of grass, but also clods of soil, readjusting the cutting height so that the knife does not reach the soil will help to correct the situation. If a unit with a normally working motor cuts the grass in uneven strips, shreds, then the problem is with the knife: either it is dull or not installed quite correctly.
Referring to the manufacturer’s instructions will help clarify the correct location of the cutting tool. It is better to entrust knife sharpening to a specialist.
Remember to wear personal protective equipment when working with the mower. Check your work equipment regularly to identify defects in time and solve the problem before a serious breakdown occurs.
Where and when they mow the grass
The grass must be cut as it grows. Intensive growth of vegetation occurs at the end of April. May, especially after rains.
The cut grass must be immediately removed from the site, as unharvested parts of the plants can grow on wet ground. Then you can mow once every 2-3 weeks, depending on the growth of the vegetation. If you do not start growth, then you can mow small shoots with a trimmer as they appear.
In hot weather, plant growth slows down and you need to mow less often. In the heat, you must not mow the lawn too low. the grass will start to burn out.
The last mowing on the lawns is in October.
Why mow the grass
Weed grass has good adaptability to any growing conditions and grows everywhere. If weeds are not destroyed, then in a couple of years they will turn any area into a wild field. Weeds reproduce not only by seeds, but also by rhizomes. Thus, it will take a lot of time to remove some types of vegetation.
Growing weeds quickly develop the useful area of the site, intensively use nutrients and moisture from the soil. It is impossible to destroy uninvited flora that grows next to useful plants.
This will lead to the death of all vegetation. It is for these reasons that it is imperative to mow the grass. To use your time rationally, you need to choose the right mowing tool:
- you need to mow with a lawn mower on a flat large area. a lawn or a recreation area;
- it is convenient to work with a trimmer in any areas if the height of the grass is from 5 to 10 cm.
- sidelong mow tall grass or vegetation on uneven ground.
When choosing a tool, it must be remembered that the older the braid, the better metal was used to make it. Modern braids are significantly inferior in quality to Soviet ones. The size of the tool is indicated by a number from 3 to 9. The number determines the length of the blade: the larger the number, the longer the braid.
How to sharpen a braid with a bar
Sharpening a braid with a bar can be difficult for a beginner. Here, as in any other business, there is its own instruction:
- rest the braid on the ground, while the blade and the block should be in your hands;
- the tool in this position has two planes: upper and lower;
- the upper one is sharpened by a sliding motion along the blade from itself to the side;
- the lower plane is sharpened by moving the bar with an effort upward from itself forward.
Bar for sharpening braids
How to properly mow the grass: technique
Good mowing is ensured by a well-selected working tool and its preparation for work.
Instructions for preparing for mowing:
- The tool must be sharp and not dull while you mow. Sharpen it on an abrasive wheel. The width of the circle is 1.5-2 cm, the blade is moistened during sharpening so that it is wet. The lower part is sharpened.
- Chipping is performed using a special hammer. The purpose of the beating is to prevent the blade from dulling quickly when cutting.
- Both planes of the braid are sharpened with a bar. If you have no experience in sharpening such a tool, then it is advisable to find a professional.
- initial position of the mower: take the tool; in work, the body will bend slightly, following the movement of the arms; the supporting leg is slightly in front; the trunk is slightly turned to the left.
- the swing of the mower will consist of two parts: first, the tool goes in one direction, then in the other.
- swings are not wide; arms move like pendulums. from right to left and then a second swing from right to left.
- the swings are smooth. there should be no tension in the hands, otherwise you will quickly get tired.
- for comfortable mowing, the handle should be at waist level.
- when the mower is mowing, the heel of the scythe rakes up the cut plants and folds them on the side of the cut. It turns out a grass swath.
The mow must be straight and the width must not change. how to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
How to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
There are several situations in which a scythe in a summer cottage or suburban area can be optimal:
- the rains have passed, and the grass has grown greatly;
- there is too much grass for the trimmer, but there is no lawn mower;
- you need to mow the grass in an inconvenient place for the lawn mower (uneven soil, near shrubs or trees).
If the grass is too tall. more than 15 cm, then the trimmer will scatter it in the form of small debris throughout the area. In order to remove the mown vegetation quickly and without unnecessary debris, it is advisable to use a hand scythe. How to use it will be discussed in this article.
- Why mow the grass
- Where and when they mow the grass
- How to properly mow the grass: technique
- How to sharpen a braid with a bar
- The man who mows the grass
- Feedback from netizens
The man who mows the grass
The mower puts his legs so that a comfortable support is formed during movement (the distance between the heels is about 35 cm) and brings the supporting leg forward.
- The swing consists of two techniques: the tool moves to the right, then backward movement to the left. The blade cuts the plants. Try to grab no more than 15 cm of grass.
- After 1-2 strokes, step forward with the left foot.
- Again 2 swings and a step forward with the right foot.
- Do not slouch as your back muscles will get tired and you will not be able to work for long.
- Watch your breathing technique. Take your time, just try to do the movements correctly.
Now that you know how to mow and how to sharpen a braid, remember that this is a traumatic tool and must be handled with care, especially if there are other people around you. Also, do not get distracted while mowing, so as not to injure the slanting leg.
How to mow without blunders
First of all, you need to mow without putting excessive unnecessary force on the control handle. The lawn mower was designed without taking into account this overload on the rear axle. For the front-drive version of the mower, this will impair the mowing quality. When working on the rear-wheel drive version, this “help” wears out the transmission and leads to the appearance of potholes in the lawn, it becomes more difficult to mow. In addition, it can easily damage the knife, motor or mow the grass on the ground.
The art of lawn mowing comes with practice. Most often, the direction of movement is corrected by moving the handle to the left or right. In particularly difficult cases, you can mow even on difficult paths by slightly tilting the mower body to the left or right, increasing the traction of the wheels on one side and loosening on the other. The controls are simple, but require practice and skill.
It is considered the most difficult to mow near a curb or fence. Such work requires accuracy and a good eye. Most often, damage to knives occurs when trying to mow in areas interspersed with gravel or under the edge of a stone blind area.
Models with a piano suspension of the front pair of wheels are best mowed in such difficult conditions. For complex edge configurations, mowing with such a lawn mower is much easier.
Lawn Mower Control Basics
In fact, any of the lawn mowers is a motor with a pair of sharp knives mounted on the motor shaft. The entire structure of the motor shaft with the impeller is covered with plastic or steel protection and fixed to the wheel cart. Despite the relatively large weight of the unit, in theory, any adult without special physical training can mow with a lawn mower. However, mowing grass is not as easy as it might look on an advertisement.
To operate the mower correctly and safely, you must:
- Correctly service the device, adjust and prepare the mower for work;
- It is good to navigate the terrain of the mowed area. Before starting work, inspect the area and remove stones, large branches, any debris that can break off the cutting edge, knife and engine;
- If there are flower beds or shrubs on the lawn, it is necessary to think in advance about the route of the mower and the place to unload the container with cut grass.
How to operate a lawn mower
Any advertisement presents a modern lawn mower as a versatile tool capable of doing the work of a dozen mowers in an hour. In addition to high productivity, a lawn mower allows you to get a good quality lawn and mow successfully, regardless of skill, with relatively little physical activity. But working with a lawn mower is not so easy, it requires a certain skill in operating the machine and good knowledge of the terrain features.
Adjusting and starting the lawn mower motor
Maintaining and adjusting the engine speed is considered to be the most difficult stage in preparing a lawn mower for work. Therefore, before engaging in the struggle with complex equipment, even with some experience, be sure to read and re-read the operating instructions. The typical procedure for preparing a new motor for operation is approximately as follows:
- The mower must be placed on a firm, level surface and all folding elements and handles must be screwed into position. The wheel drive engaging lever must be disabled. If the mower is equipped with a spark cut-off system, be sure to turn it off;
- It is only necessary to mow with an absolutely serviceable lawn mower, therefore, before starting the engine, it is necessary to inspect it and make sure that there is no oil and fuel leakage. With a gloved hand, check the tightness of the chip on the candle and proceed to refueling with fuel and oil;
- The filling of liquids is carried out according to the dipsticks; for the oil sump of the motor, it will be necessary to fill in the lubricant according to the average measure, no more. If overflowed, liquid may squeeze out of the vent or through the gasket;
- Be sure to change the oil after running in. If you decide to use semi-synthetics, do not switch to mineral water, and vice versa. For about the first 20-30 hours after running in the engine, it is necessary to mow the grass at medium and low speeds. The performance will be low, but in the end you will significantly benefit in the resource of the motor, after a couple of mows you can mow in normal mode.
What kind of oil should I put in the mower? High quality mineral or semi-synthetics. It would be most appropriate to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations, rather than follow the advice of the engine oil seller.
Do not believe the fables of sellers and advertising slogans about preliminary running-in of motors at the enterprise. This procedure is carried out in full at the enterprise only for powerful high-speed motors with a high degree of forcing.
It is easiest to mow with high-octane unleaded fuel, but only if you are 100% confident in the quality of the gasoline. The engine of the lawn mower keeps the revs well and practically does not get warm. American and Chinese engines work fine on the A-92, European versions may be more capricious in the choice of gasoline. For two-stroke engines, gasoline is mixed with a special oil in a 50: 1 ratio.
We start the motor in the following sequence:
Can we Mow over another Lawn mower, Super Tall Grass, watermelons & Pumpkins? Lets Try!
- Before starting, check the position of the lawn mower motion control knob, the transmission must be turned off, otherwise at the moment the engine starts, the mower will start to move and mow on its own. We turn off the power to the magneto or the ignition system and turn the motor shaft several times with a starter cord or using a starter.
- We turn on the ignition, close the air damper and try to start the engine.
- If the start fails, turn off the ignition, open the air damper and, turning the shaft with the starter for a few seconds, blow through the combustion chamber.
- After successfully starting the engine, move the throttle control lever to the position corresponding to the rpm between medium and lowest.
Start the mower motor only if there is no fuel leakage at the pipe connections.
Almost all models have the ability to mow and dump the grass into the grass catcher, so we choose a convenient place for the lawn mower to park in order to remove and unload the grass box and convert the machine or simply inspect it if necessary. There will also be fuel, tools and spare candles.
Modern lawn mowers make it possible to adjust the position of the handle for any height or features of the constitution and physique of a person. The easiest way to mow and steer the cart is if your hands on the handle are at the level of the center of gravity of the body or 2-3 cm higher.
With a large mass of the lawn mower, a fairly large force is required on the control handle, therefore, when choosing a model, choose a design with an aluminum or steel tubular frame.
This is especially true for front-wheel drive lawn mowers. Owners of front-driven mowers like to hang the front axle, thereby reducing traction and adjusting the direction of travel of the machine, turning the body on the rear axle in the desired direction with the handle.
Lawn Mower Blade Adjustments
Before mowing, adjust the height of the blades above the ground. Most often, the lifting of the mower body above the grass is set with one handle, less often with two. for each pair of wheels, this helps to mow lawns with very dense and heavy grass.
The heavier the mower body, the lower the cutting edges can be. Most often, this is a value of 20-25 mm. It is good to mow soft grass with a low position of the cutting plane, for hard and high one it is necessary to adjust not only the clearance, but also the angle of inclination of the lawn mower body.
The forward tilt helps to compensate for the backward tilt of the windrower if the handle is pushed too hard. Especially if the grass is wet. it is difficult to mow, the rear drive wheels may slip. For a front-wheel drive lawnmower, this tilt will only impair the performance of the mower, skips will appear and the surface will remain uneven.
Lawn mower practice
Any complex technical device takes some time to get used to. If you have not had the experience of working with mowers of any design, the first step is to study the instructions in order to clearly understand which levers and knobs are used to control the lawn mower motor, and which ones are used to adjust the mowing parameters. In addition, you will need to learn how to adjust the position of the cutting edge of the lawn mower so as to mow the grass in an even and neat layer, leaving the laid 3-4 cm of vegetation throughout the entire area.
The long tradition of mowing the grass early in the morning is not only associated with more comfortable working conditions. Vegetation moistened with morning dew is much easier and faster to cut even with a low-power motor. Less dust and pollen rises, which is especially important during the flowering period of ragweed or similar plants that emit allergenic particles. But in such conditions, you can only mow with gasoline models, electric lawn mowers should only be operated in a dry environment.
Is it possible to mow wet grass with a trimmer and lawn mower and how to do it?
Arrangement of a suburban area (and even a local area in a city) is a very complicated matter. Especially because you have to take care of the farm all the time. Many people also have questions about how to do this or that work, for example, is it possible to mow wet grass with a trimmer.
Features of the situation
Of course, such a question will not arise for those who live in the immediate vicinity of the lawn. Then you can wait a while and work when the grass dries up. But the need to remove wet grass arises immediately if you can visit the site only occasionally. What to do if you have to mow the lawn on the weekend, on another day with rainy weather, that’s the subtlety. The opinions of the summer residents themselves differ, so there is no particular point in focusing on their position. You need to understand the nuances yourself.
The role of equipment
It should be pointed out at the outset that there are two main types of trimmers that “relate” differently to wet vegetation. Some devices are equipped with a gasoline engine, others are set in motion by connecting to the mains or installing a battery. In turn, electric mowers are divided into two subgroups: with the location of the motor in the lower or upper part of the machine. Safe enough for the user to remove wet grass can only be gasoline trimmers or hand scythes.
In this case, it is absolutely undesirable to use an electric lawn mower. Sometimes you can find statements that this requirement applies only to devices with a lower motor placement. Such an electric motor directly comes into contact with water. Due to this contact, you can be afraid of a short circuit.
However, do not use an overhead mower after rain.
If water does get inside the power plant, there is a risk not only of a short circuit, but also of an electric shock. It is worth noting that these restrictions apply not only to trimmers, but also to full-fledged lawn mowers. The assurances of manufacturers and marketers about safety should not be taken into account. To minimize the risk to yourself and your equipment, you should use a lawn mower. But there are a few more subtleties that must be taken into account.
Even if the mower does not fail and its owner is not electrocuted (let’s say such a favorable situation for a minute), you still cannot mow wet grass with a trimmer. This is a deliberately abnormal mode of operation, due to which the equipment wears out too quickly. Wet vegetation is much more resistant to cutting elements than it should be. Therefore, even very well insulated motors operate with overload.
Due to the sticking of wet grass to the knives and to the spindle, the load on them will necessarily increase. This cannot be avoided, and no skill of mowers, no methods and schemes of lawn clearing help. Not only the motor suffers, but also the shaft, which sometimes turns.
Problems when mowing wet grass can also arise with gasoline-powered machines. Yes, they are more powerful than their electrical counterparts, but the load still exceeds normal values. First of all, piston pairs and other moving parts are “under attack”. If there is no way out other than using a gasoline mower, you need to take care of it. When mowing raw grass, the machine is periodically switched to idle mode without load. 30 seconds is enough to remove excess heat, as well as save trimmer life.
And more about different situations
When talking about mowing wet grass, you need to distinguish between the following possible situations:
- it is wet after the rain;
- it’s raining;
- the cause of moisture is a damp area (lowland or soil water).
In the first case, it is quite possible to take a chance and try to put things in order with a lawn mower. In the second, mowing is impractical. In the third, you will first have to deal with moisture and only then put the lawn or lawn in order. If you often have to mow wet grass after rain or “through dew” in a small area, then it is better to use not a trimmer, and not a lawn mower, but a simple hand scythe. You need to look not only at the grass that is removed, but also at the one where the power cable is placed.
Moisturizing it can be a very serious risk factor. To mow the grass after rain, you need to wait a little. A few minutes, even with a very big rush, will not noticeably reduce the time that can be set aside for mowing.
And the result may be clearly better. Mowing through dew, even with an electric lawn mower or trimmer, is usually allowed.
As for mowing raw grass, there are still the following objections to it:
- It is more difficult to walk with a trimmer or lawn mower in such conditions, you can easily fall and get injured;
- you will have to spend more time on work;
- after mowing, it will be necessary to thoroughly clean the machine itself;
- wet chlorophyll will leave more stains on clothes, leather, shoes.
Now you need to figure out exactly how to act if you still decide to use a gasoline trimmer to clean your lawn or lawn in wet weather. An important rule is to keep the grass at the optimum length. By overly shortening it, especially in the summer, summer residents run the risk of provoking early drying of plants. It is unlikely that this will contribute to a good appearance.
Safety requirements are standard: you need to wear goggles and gloves, and take care of the protection of your feet.
Of course, they wear sturdy, waterproof shoes. Headphones or earplugs are used only when working with a two-stroke petrol trimmer. On a large clearing with flat grass, mowing is carried out along imaginary squares, conventionally dividing the entire territory into them. They first move along the perimeter of each square, then mow it from the inside and move on to the next part of the lawn. Regardless of the weather, before starting work, you should do the following:
- check the serviceability of the equipment;
- remove all debris and foreign objects from the site;
- replace, if necessary, worn-out cutting elements;
- determined with the direction of the mowing, so that the lawn does not resemble a “washboard”.
For information on how to mow wet grass with a trimmer and lawn mower, see the next video.