What is the Chain Speed of a Chainsaw
When working with a chainsaw, the main consumable is the saw chain. Not only comfort and productivity, but also the durability of the tool itself depends on its correct choice. Which chain for the chainsaw is the best from the variety that is available on the market?
Sawing solid wood, a nail in a log, poor lubrication. all this affects the durability of the chain. The right choice when buying, competent sharpening, on the contrary, will keep it for a long time.
Criteria by which to choose
By purchasing an electric or gasoline saw for the first time, a person does not yet realize that the chain is a consumable material, and it will have to be changed repeatedly.
Mid-level manufacturers are installing chains of not the highest quality. They do not last long: they quickly lose the sharpness of the cutting teeth and are pulled out. The chain is stretched due to wear on the joints. This leads to the fact that the adjustment of the chain tension ends, and it needs to be changed.
Which chain is best for a chainsaw? This question will have to face every owner. To make the right choice, there are several criteria:
- Chain maker. There are recognized leaders in the manufacture of such equipment. Each of them uses company secrets to give a chain of unique qualities.
- Chain length. It depends on the tire on which it is installed. Its size can also vary in the range that the power of the tool allows.
- Depth of cut. This factor depends on the height of the cutting tooth edge and affects performance.
- Step. This parameter is determined by the distance between the chain joints. It directly depends on the size of the drive gear rotating the chain.
- The tail of the chain is an element of the link that enters the guide. With its help, the chain does not fly off the tire during rotation. The thickness of the tail depends on the width of the groove, as well as on the loads for which the chain is designed.
You can find out which chain saw chain step is best for your tool by engine power. The greater the distance between the centers of the links, the greater the power required for sawing. Along with an increase in pitch, productivity increases. Its length is usually expressed in inches:
- 0.325. used in household saws with a capacity of up to 3 liters. from.
- 0.375. household saws with a capacity of up to 4 liters. from.
- 0.404. used on professional tools with a capacity of at least 5 liters. from.
- 0.75 is a rare size used on particularly powerful farm saws.
The difference in the shape of the cutting tooth
On modern chains, the profile of the incisors is different in shape. There are 2 main varieties:
- Chisel. The profile of this tooth is similar to the seven. It is good because it has a small contact area with the material being cut, which means that it meets less resistance. For this reason, he makes more cuts per cut. The disadvantage of chisel is the difficulty in maintenance. The shape of this profile is more difficult to maintain when sharpening.
- Chipper. This is the main variety of incisors. The cutting edge of this type has a round shape, so it can be corrected with a simple round file. Chipper is more unpretentious and forgives many mistakes when sharpening.
Which chain for chainsaw is better? If you take for professional work, then the chisel and recipient will help you cope with large volumes faster, while the chipper can independently grind any beginner.
Chain Width and Cutting Depth
When talking about the width of the chain, it means the thickness is not the link, but the tail, which moves in the groove of the tire. It comes in a variety of designs: smooth, with holes for trapping oil and lubricating the tire. The most common have a thickness of 1.3 mm. Used in non-professional saws for domestic use.
The thickness of the tail of 1.5-1.6 mm is used in the tool, designed for continuous operation at high loads.
The larger the width of the chain, the saw is considered to be of better quality, and the wider the tire is installed on it.
The depth into which the cutting tooth is immersed in one pass is called the depth of cut. It depends on the height of the profile of the cutting edge. There are low-profile (0.635 mm) and high-profile (0.762 mm) teeth. In addition, the depth of cut depends on the height of the bounding tooth.
What brands of chains for chainsaws are the best?
Each brand has an inherent feature that sets it apart from the others.
Oregon. Spare parts and components of this company are used for the manufacture of their products, both eminent manufacturers and developers producing low-cost products. For example, Oregon tires can be found on any saw.
Видео: What is the Chain Speed of a Chainsaw
The chains of this company are appreciated for their high quality. Carbide teeth are additionally protected by chrome plating. A risk is applied to the top of the cutting tooth, indicating the correct sharpening angle. In addition, these circuits have a system that reduces vibration during operation.
Stihl is a Swiss brand producing logging equipment. Thanks to the hot pressing of the rivets, their chains are not stretched, and the nickel-chromium alloy allows you to keep the sharpening of the cutting edge for a long time. Special patented grooves form an additional lubrication system.
Carlton. The know-how of this company is the bead-blasting of its chains. As a result, work surfaces harden, which further increases the chain hardness. In addition, this type of processing relieves metal stresses resulting from stamping of links, which also affects the increase in service life.
Vindsor. Uses in-house alloys in production. Chain links and rivets are heat treated.
Husqvarna. This company produces the best chains for chainsaws. What reasons allow us to draw a similar conclusion? The fact is that this manufacturer does not engage in its own research, but uses patented, time-tested solutions of other manufacturers.
What is the best sharpening for a chainsaw chain?
In order to maintain the chain in good condition, there are several ways to sharpen. Each of them is applied in a specific situation. For example, being in a forest, a person cannot sharpen it with an electric machine, so the manual method is more suitable for him in this case. Or, on the contrary, in a specialized workshop no one will grind by hand.
Determine that the sharpening time has come, according to the following criteria:
- Shavings changed shape. When the cutting tooth keeps the cutting edge sharp, the chips are large and have a rectangular shape. If the chain loses its sharpness, then the shape becomes cylindrical and decreases in size.
- Leads the saw bar to the side. When cutting logs deeply, it is not possible to sustain the direction of cut.
- It is necessary to apply great effort to the tool. Sawing speed is significantly reduced.
- Sometimes smoke may appear.
When choosing a sharpening method, you need to consider their advantages and disadvantages.
How to sharpen correctly?
In order to make the correct sharpening of the main types of chains, you need to sharpen with a round file. Depending on the size of the link, the file diameter is selected from 4 to 5.5 mm. This method is good for experienced owners who can withstand the angle of inclination when sharpening.
In order not to move the file to the side, it is better to use a machine for sharpening chains of chainsaws.
What should be the procedure? To do this, you need:
- Place the file in the clamp at an angle of 25-30˚.
- Fix the machine on the saw bar so that the file touches the cutting edge of the tooth.
- With light pressure, 3-5 file movements are performed. If the cutting edge of the tooth is damaged by a nail caught in the log, then more movements need to be done.
- After the tooth is sharpened, the movable carriage, in which the file is clamped, is taken up, and the chain moves to the next tooth. Then the process is repeated.
- After one circle has been passed, the angle of the file in the clamp changes to a mirror, and the teeth that are sharpened back are sharpened.
After that, the height between the cutter stop and the upper edge of the cutting tooth is checked. If it is less than the permissible value, then the restrictive tooth is ground off with a flat file from above, which restores the depth of cut.
How to sharpen quickly?
The method described above allows you to make the perfect sharpening, which will save the chain for a long time. However, this method is laborious. Which chainsaw sharpening machine will save time and effort better? That’s right. electric. Its advantages include the speed of sharpening. Of the minuses, it is possible to note the formation of an irregular shape of the edge of the cutting tooth, rapid wear of the chain, as well as the inability to use the machine in the field.
You can also sharpen the chain with a small angle grinder. But you need to consider that the correct profile of the cutter cannot be made.
Therefore, in this way, it is better to sharpen those chains that have served their own and do not spoil them. Such a chain can be left for cutting boards with nails. She will be better than dumb, but she will constantly be led away.
Sharpening for a different type of cut
In the vast majority of cases, the saw is used for cross cutting wood. That is, the chain cuts wood fibers across. Which chain for a chainsaw is best cut along? The one whose cutting edge has an inclination angle of 5-15 °. It does not get stuck in the material and cuts much more evenly.
You can re-chain the chain to a new angle, but it is more advisable to purchase a new one. Otherwise, when grinding, you will have to remove a lot of metal from the cutting tooth.
During its movement along the guide rail, the chain experiences considerable friction. To reduce it and increase its service life, special grease is used.
Which chainsaw oil is best suited? It depends on several factors:
- Ambient temperature. If branded chain saw oil is used, then it is usually all-weather. If the owner wants to save money and pours motor oil into the tool, then it should have a viscosity index for summer 20-60 and for winter 5-15.
- If the saw is not rolled, then it is better to use oil to lubricate the chainsaw chain, which is indicated by the manufacturer. The gears of the oil pump are running in at this time, and in the event of a breakdown, the service center will not be able to deprive the warranty.
When the warranty period for the instrument ends, the need for expensive branded oils disappears. As practice shows, for normal operation of the chain, it is enough to refuel cheap engine oils, for example, M8.
Since to work you always need to have a chain in reserve, then "Oregon" perfect for this.