What kind of electric screwdriver do you need for your auger?. Ice Drill with an electric screwdriver with their own hands
What electric screwdriver to choose for the ice drill?
No winter fishing is complete without drilling holes. Many fishermen for these purposes use a cordless electric screwdriver, which greatly facilitates the work. It is mounted directly on the auger and easily makes holes in the ice. The best electric screwdriver for ice auger with one charge, depending on the thickness of the ice can drill 130-150 holes. Each diameter is no more than 200 mm. This tool is very handy because of its small weight and size. But what electric screwdriver to choose for the ice drill not to make a mistake? The right model for the job is bought only after getting acquainted with the basic parameters.
|1.||Metabo BS 18 LTX BL I 0 box, without battery||Prices||Overview|
|3.||Zubr DAI-18-2-Li KNM4||Prices||Overview|
|4.||Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013 3.5Ah x1 LiHD box||Prices||Overview|
|5.||DeWALT DCD701D2 Li-Ion 2.0 Ah 12 V x2 case TSTAK||Prices||Overview|
|6.||Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013 5.2Ah x2 Case||Prices||Review|
|8.||Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013 4.0Ah x2 Case||Prices||Review|
|9.||Makita DDF481RF Li-Ion 3.0 Ah 18 V x1 Case||Prices||Review|
|10.||Metabo BS 18 L BL 2.0Ah x2 Case||Prices||Overview|
Only an electric screwdriver is suitable for making holes. not all engines can withstand the higher loads. Battery should not be less than 18 V. more is possible. Only cordless models are suitable for winter fishing. Maximum torque, approx. 60-80 Nm, with a capacity of 3.5 to 4 Ah. You can choose a 2 Ah model with a pair of batteries, you will need to charge both to start work. Always pay attention to the plastic quality. it has to withstand considerable loads.
In recent years, more and more often used universal tool, which is something between a construction electric screwdriver with an ice drill. The connection of screwdrivers with augers is an original solution, which allows you to get an automated multifunctional device for drilling a block of ice of a given thickness, any structural type without applying excessive effort. The market offers anglers drills that are already adapted to screwdrivers. The disadvantage of this solution is the high price.
Some craftsmen have learned to create and design automated types of ice drills from simple domestic models. Appropriate knowledge and skills will be required. it is not enough just to cut the handle, you need to understand how to connect the auger with an electric tool, to know the rules of choice of the latter (a low-power model will not cope with the current tasks).
Advantages of ice drills with screwdrivers
Automated electric ice drills have a number of advantages over manual models. Main features:
- Saves time resources. passive fish need to search for a long time, creating a whole set of holes. With a regular manual drill you will spend hours, the process may never be successful.
- Simplicity. little effort is enough to hold the operating unit in an upright position, there will be no physical strain.
- Wide possibilities. an upgraded ice pole can handle all types of ice, including dense, dry ice.
- Low-noise. as a result of hitting the pole on a clean, not snow-covered pond will go loud ECHO. The sounds scare the fish away, and they do not go under the hole. Automated device works quickly and quietly.
- Versatility. the electric screwdriver can be removed and used in the home for its intended purpose.
And the last point. having advanced equipment for fishing is cool. Competitors who chisel with an ice pick the old-fashioned way will look at you with envy.
The electric tool has its own weaknesses, of which it is better to be aware when buying:
- Winter fishing is carried out at low temperatures, if the index falls below the mark in.10˚C, the battery in some devices stops starting;
- When starting the auger counterclockwise, the work of the device will be unstable, after a certain set of revolutions, the adapter will be loose, will slip inside the chuck.
Because the equipment has many more pros than cons, it is in high demand.
What to consider when choosing
In order for an ice pick with an electric screwdriver to work smoothly, you need to choose it wisely. The mechanism must meet a set of requirements. Among them:
- Type of attachment. the possibility of using the device in extreme climatic conditions. Not every electric screwdriver will work properly in freezing temperatures. check this information before buying.
- Voltage. it determines the performance (power). The principle here is simple. the higher the indicator, the more powerful the tool will be. For fishing, you can use a device for 18 V. but this is the minimum value. If you are interested in maximum efficiency, choose not less than 36 V. Such a device is guaranteed to cope with significant loads.
- Torque. the physical value determines the power of rotation of the working unit, the ease of drilling depends on it. The more the better. this is the main principle. If you are on a limited budget, stop at the device, which functions within the range of 40-70 Nm, the model at 80-90 Nm will be more preferable.
- The battery. or rather its capacity. The bigger it is, the longer the device will be able to function without additional recharging. Average value is 1.5-4 Ah.
- Durability. winter fishing is an extreme activity. An electric screwdriver can slip out of your hands or hit hard ice during assembly. To avoid disappointment in your choice on the first day of use, choose a high-quality electric screwdriver that is not afraid of shocks, mechanical impacts.
The handle deserves special attention. It’s more convenient to use a side tool than a regular one. Hold both in your hands to see which one you like better.
Gearbox for an electric screwdriver
First, the emergence, then the active spread of electric tools at times accelerated and simplified the solution of many problems in construction, repair. The service life of the equipment depends on quality, timely maintenance. The most frequent failure of the reducer of an electric screwdriver. This unit is a set of linked gears, which are assembled inside the body. the crankcase. This case compactly accommodates parts, protects them from contact with dirt, moisture, foreign objects, is responsible for the smooth operation without failure.
The gearbox of an electric screwdriver consists of sun and ring gears, driver, satellites.
The tool is intended for adjusting shaft speeds up or down. The ring gear looks like a cylinder with teeth on the inside, during operation the satellites move along them. The main causes of gearbox failure:
- Wear and tear as a result of long use of gears, coupling;
- Damaged bearings and bushings;
- Deformation of shafts;
- Damage to pins securing the satellites;
- Chuck run-out.
Adapter for ice drill for screwdriver
Adapter is a necessary thing for any ice drill. It will play the role of the connecting element between the screwdriver and the actual working auger. With the help of an adapter an ordinary manual ice drill can be converted into an electric one, having correctly calculated the size and diameter of all components.
The adapter for the electric screwdriver to the ice drill consists of two halves:
- Hexagonal or square on the screwdriver side (about 2.6 cm);
- With a round shaft for the auger (approx. 6.8 cm), drilled with a hole for the attachment bolt. Standard seating diameters are 18 mm or 22 mm.
If desired, each fisherman can make an adapter himself, having picked up for him a steel rod of suitable diameter and having asked the milling engineer to grind one edge into a shank for fastening to the screwdriver. Just have to drill a hole to fix the adapter to the ice drill pipe.
Rules for choosing an electric ice pick
When choosing an electric screwdriver for the ice drill, professionals advise to be guided by the following points:
- Power. It is recommended to choose a tool with a power rating of at least 18 volts. The more power, the better. Low-powered tools will not be able to penetrate the ice thickness.
- Torque. The higher the value, the better. It is not recommended to choose products with less than 50 Nm torque. Only high torque allows fast hole formation, even on thick ice.
- Durability. It must be sufficient to withstand increased loads and mechanical impacts.
- Extra handle. This accessory will ensure that the tool is comfortable and safe to use.
- Battery capacity. The bigger it is, the longer the tool will work without recharging.
- Frost resistance. Since an electric screwdriver will be used in sub-zero temperatures, it must have resistance to them.
Winter fishing drill
So, winter fishing is a process that takes place during the cold season, that is, when the bodies of water are covered with ice. In order to reach the water, the fisherman needs to drill holes with a special device, and place the floats of rods with bait in them. Items such as a crowbar or a drill are used to create a hole, with the latter being considered more popular and convenient. The conveniences of use include:
- the ability to punch holes in ice that is thicker, while using less effort and time;
- The resulting hole is cylindrical, with smooth edges, without any chips or cracks in the ice cover, which can be dangerous;
- when using does not create unnecessary noise, which is important because it scares the fish, and thus the fishing process can become unsuccessful.
The design of the auger is simple, it consists of a wrench, which is an elbow-shaped handle with a special chuck to clamp the cutting part (blades, drills) they can be sphere-shaped or straight. Its use requires not a little effort.
In order to facilitate the drilling of the ice thickness, craftsmen have designed automated devices, upgrading conventional devices, using as an additional element an electric tool (electric screwdriver). By combining the two devices, a number of qualities are acquired:
- saving time, as a rule, for a more fruitful fishing requires more than one hole, and their drilling takes a lot of time, with the help of an electric supplement the procedure is faster, thus there is more time and effort for the fishing itself;
- ease of use, it does not require additional strength and skills;
- the ability to work with all types of ice, including dry and dense;
- The low noise level is also kept behind the tool;
- versatility, it is possible to use an electric screwdriver for the intended purpose.
Of course, such a development has qualities that cannot be considered positive, among them:
- battery failure, this occurs in cases where the temperature drops below the manufacturer’s specifications;
- instability of operation, this happens if you run the screw counterclockwise, after a few turns, the adapter is loose and begins to slip inside the chuck.
Ice Auger Drill Adapter
But despite this, automatic ice-throwers are very popular among fans of winter fishing.
CORDLESS DRILL Ice Auger Requirements and Settings. What your drill needs when used as an ice auger.
Automatic auger device
An advanced ice drilling device consists of such parts:
Adaptor, or adapter, is an integral part of such design, it acts as a connecting element between the auger and an electric screwdriver. If necessary, everyone can make the adapter himself, for this you will need a steel rod of appropriate diameter. Next, one edge of the adapter should be turned into a tail for fastening and holes should be drilled for fixing the adapter with the ice drill pipe.
Rating of powerful screwdrivers for ice drill
Powerful devices are easier to work with, but they are expensive, so they are usually taken not only for drilling holes, but also for various construction and repair work.
A quality professional model, durable and reliable, with great torque. It makes holes quickly, and the rubberized handle provides comfortable operation.
the special feature of this professional screwdriver is a powerful battery that allows to drill through about a hundred holes on one charge. And thanks to the built-in flashlight, you can drill into the ice even in the dark. The device is equipped with three speeds.
- It is extremely versatile and can be used in a wide variety of applications;
- quick stop brake.
Bosch GSR 18 VE-EC 0 L-BOXX
German impact-free device with two speeds, powerful and reliable. It enables fast, effortless drilling of numerous holes. It has a high-capacity battery and an extra handle.
Inexpensive models (up to 25 000 )
When buying any thing, the first thing to pay attention to is the cost. It is believed that a high price obligates to the same quality. But the pattern does not always work. And this is successfully proven by models of screwdrivers for winter fishing from the budget segment.
- watertight case
- quick-change chuck
- high power
- metal gearbox
- 21 torque levels with drill function
- battery charge indicator
- side handle
- 4 Ah battery compatibility
Makita DDF458RFE power drill/driver features excellent performance. Clamping chuck diameter up to 13 mm. Side handle and backlight enhance efficiency. 58 to 91 Nm of torque and 21-step mode helps you handle different material densities. High reliability and user friendliness of the tool has been noted by users.
- tough and durable
- High torque up to 95 Nm
- battery pack withstands sub-zero temperatures
- bright backlight
- high capacity battery
Quality impact tool Makita DDF458RFE. drill-driver with 3 speed modes. Designed for active professional use. Equipped with electronic motor protection and additional handle. Comes with 2 5 Ah batteries. Despite the fact that many users have noted the fact that the model can not be repaired, it is considered the best in the category of “value for money.
The Makita DDF451RFE is a reliable impact-free electric screwdriver with 16 torque steps and 3-speed modes. Equipped with dual LED backlight, power button lock and side handle. Rugged housing ensures operation in any weather. Unique feature. compatibility with more powerful 4 and 5 Ah batteries. Repeatedly praised by users for its reliability.
Inexpensive models (up to 25 000 )
When buying something, the first thing to look for is its price. It is believed that the high price imposes the same quality. But the pattern does not always work. And this is successfully proved by models of screwdrivers for winter fishing from the budget segment.
- watertight body
- quick-action chuck
- high power
- metal gearbox
- 21 torque settings with drill function
- battery charge indicator
- side handle
- compatible with 4 Ah battery
The Makita DDF458RFE electric screwdriver has excellent performance. Chuck diameter up to 13 mm. Side handle and backlight enhance efficiency. 58 to 91 Nm of torque and 21 steps help you tackle different material densities. Users have noted high reliability and ease of use of the tool.
- durable and sturdy
- High torque up to 95 Nm
- The battery is excellent at withstanding sub-zero temperatures
- bright backlight
- high capacity battery
The Makita DDF458RFE is a quality impact tool. a drill/driver with 3 speed settings. Designed for active professional use. Equipped with electronic motor protection and a secondary handle. 2 5 Ah batteries included. Despite the fact that many users have noted the fact that the model can not be repaired, it is considered the best in the category “value for money.
The Makita DDF451RFE is a reliable impact-free electric screwdriver with 16 torque steps and 3-speed modes. Dual light, power button lock and side handle. Rugged case ensures operation in any weather. Model feature is compatible with larger 4 and 5 Ah batteries. Repeatedly praised by users for its reliability.
Ice Drill Adapter
The adapter is called the intermediate element that connects the electric screwdriver to the drill. There is no way to automate ice axe without it. Usually the adapter consists of two parts: a tetrahedral or hexagonal rod with a diameter not less than 2.5 cm (for an electric screwdriver) and on the back side of a wider round shaft with a hole for the fixing bolt (for an auger).Today such adapters are sold in fishing stores, they cost about 10 dollars, but if you can find a piece of thick-walled pipe and a metal rod in your garage, then you can try to make the adapter yourself. The main thing is that the center of rotation of both parts has to coincide, otherwise the ice axe will “dance” instead of drilling.
Before to focus attention on specific models, it is worth mentioning the attempts of some fishermen to equip the ice axe with other devices, electric and not only. Wrenches, drills and even chain saws are used. Technically it is possible, but extremely difficult. This is especially true for the saw. That is why it is better to choose an electric screwdriver.
So, an electric ice axe screwdriver, which one to choose?? Fishermen have tried many variants, but not all of them have stood the test with dignity. In practice, only some of the models have proven to be quite good. Let’s list them and give them a brief description:
- Hitachi DS18DSFL is well-balanced tool with a comfortable rubberized handle. Voltage rating is 18V. Powered by a 1.5Ah lithium-ion battery (the kit has two). Weight of the tool is only 1.7 kg, so even with continuous use the hand does not get tired. There is a case for transportation. A little lack of power, 41 Nm is not enough for drilling holes. Fishermen, who have to drill holes in the dark, note that this wrench could use backlight.
- The Makita 8434DWFE is a compact, fairly light electric screwdriver weighing 2.5 kg. Powered by 3 Ah Ni-MH batteries. With a voltage of 14.4 V it has a maximum torque of 70 Nm. High body durability, quick-action chuck and side handle are other pluses.
- The Bosch GSR18-2-LI Plus is the professional tool with the best performance-price ratio. Has a motor overload protection system that ensures the longevity of the device. Weight 1.1 kg, battery type. Li-Ion, battery capacity 2.0 A / h, voltage 18 V, the maximum torque. 63 Nm. Flashlight for illuminating the working area.
These models are not very expensive and not the most powerful, but they do a great job drilling a few dozen holes. With proper use and care, it will last for more than one season.