What’s the right oil for your lawnmower?. Consumption rate of fuel and lubricants
How to dilute gasoline with oil for grass trimmer instruction with description
Gasoline grass trimmers are needed for mowing grass in the cottage or in the field. They run on gasoline, unlike their electric counterparts. How to dilute gasoline with oil for trimmers, petrol and brush cutters, not many craftsmen know. Step-by-step instructions on how to prepare the fuel mixture in a grass trimmer will be useful not only for beginners, but also for professionals who may not fuel gasoline saws correctly.
Grass trimmers and lawnmowers are powered by two-stroke engines, which have a simplified design. Rarely, but sometimes there are trimmer models with 4-stroke engines that run on pure gasoline. Two-stroke power packs have no engine oil compartment (oil sump), which reduces the weight and cost of the machine. If the rotating parts of the motor will not be lubricated, then they will quickly fail. To prevent this, the grass trimmer is not filled with pure gasoline, but a mixture with oil. What oil to dilute with gasoline for grass trimmer?
To begin with, let’s remember or find out what types of oils by chemical composition are produced:
- Mineral fluids. designed for low-power, air-cooled machinery. This is the cheapest type of lubricant for motors
- Semi-synthetics. they are used for machines that are air- and water-cooled
- Synthetic. suitable for all types of motors with different types of cooling. They do not require frequent changes, and this type of lubricant is several times more expensive than mineral and semi-synthetic
It follows from the above that the grass trimmer is suitable for oil with any composition. mineral, synthetic and semi-synthetic. Oils with different chemical compositions differs in price, so when buying should be based on the recommendations of the manufacturer of the tool. The instructions contain recommended information on what types of oil are best to use. If it is a standard TC-W3, so it is not so important what composition should have the substance. In this case, you can dilute mineral, semi-synthetic and synthetic with gasoline.
This is interesting! The main thing when choosing an oil do not get caught on the counterfeit, since today you can often find different types of lubricating compositions for two-stroke engines, which consist mainly of low-quality petroleum products.
Choosing lawnmower oil, helpful recommendations from professionals
If the annotations to the tool were lost, and there are problems with the choice of the right oil, it is recommended to suspend your own choice on the following 2 options:
- Semi-synthetic. They are cheaper than synthetics, but more expensive than mineral water. Suitable for Russian and foreign machines. They have low smoke characteristics, and properly “take care” of the structural elements of the motor. Made by refining petroleum products and hydrocarbons
- Synthetic. These are expensive types of lubricants, suitable for all types of equipment. If you use synthetics for your own grass trimmer, the tool engine will run like clockwork.
When selecting and purchasing gasoline dilution oil, you may come across some letter designations on the cans. These designations are an API systematization, which is useful for those who wish to fill their tools with oil that meets the characteristics of. Let’s look at all types of oils by API systematization for two-stroke engines:
- И. Designed for air-cooled machines up to 50 cc. Such techniques include mopeds, lawnmowers, grass trimmers, and brushes. Best solution for petrol cutters and trimmers
- TV. Used for filling the engines of machines such as mopeds, chainsaws, scooters and bikes. Engine capacity of such equipment is from 50 cm3 to 200 cm3. This type of oil is also suitable for trimmers
- TS. Intended for gasoline dispensing and filling in bikes, snowmobiles and other types of ground equipment
- TD. Used for inboard engines, jet skis and boats
API Systematization. South American standard, used in Europe. But when choosing, there are additional designations on oil cans for two-stroke engines, for example, FA, FB, FC, FD and others. This is the flue gas systematization of oils developed by the Japanese benchmark JASO. If such designations are found on some oils for trimmers and chainsaws, their deciphering must be considered:
- FA. Used in countries where legislation provides for low smoke emissions. Emits an imperceptible fog of smoke during operation
- FB. Designed for use in countries where there are strict restrictions on smoke emissions. Virtually no white smoke
- FC. Smoke is emitted transparently into the atmosphere and is not visible to humans
- FD. Smoke-free types of oils for two-stroke internal combustion engines do not emit smoke, but still have advanced chemical characteristics. Usually they are used for mixing with gasoline and refueling boats, boats and yachts.
READ How to insert a fishing line into a grass trimmer Semi-Automatic
If there is a label “self mix” and “pre mix” on the container with oil, it means self mix with petrol (1st choice, which does not require shaking), and the need for forced dissolving (2nd choice).
Knowing the oil classification by type, it’s easy to choose the right oil for your petrol tiller brand. On the market you can find different brands of oils for two-stroke engines, but it’s better to focus your attention on the following companies:
- STIHL. Mineral and synthetic are created, and semi-synthetic of this brand is rare
- Shell Helix Ultra. Recommended by Specialists
- “Lukoil. It is a Russian oil, which costs three times cheaper than its foreign counterparts, but at the same time has amazing properties
Product are not listed, as vary. There are many other brands, and if you still want to find the perfect grass trimmer lubricant for yourself, it is recommended to review the test below.
How engine oil consumption increases.
Since you can come to the conclusion that taking expensive oils is not always useful, because they may be unsatisfactory quality, as can be seen in the real example.
Combustible mixture requirements for a two-stroke engine
The difference of two-stroke engine is its higher power as compared to a four-stroke engine. The combustible mixture for it is prepared in a certain ratio of petrol and special oil. Which oil to gasoline ratio is optimal for the lawnmower is written in the manual. The recommended proportions must be observed precisely. When adding additives the manufacturer has taken the engine type into account. For this reason, do not mix different oils.
When using mineral oils, the mixture is mixed in the proportion 1:25, 1:30, 1:35. For synthetic oils the mixing ratio is 1:50 or 1:80. This means that in each of the suggested mixtures, the right amount of oil is dissolved in the volume of gasoline. Mixing gasoline with lawnmower oil is like mixing water with syrup. It is necessary to pour the gasoline, add the exact amount of oil and shake the mixture. Fresh solution should preferably be used for work. If stored for more than two weeks, the composition will change and the oil film will cause malfunctioning of the carburetor.
Do not use PET bottles for diluting and storing the combustible mixture. Gasoline destroys plastic, the polymer dissolves in the combustible mixture and further deteriorates the quality of the fuel, creating the risk of stray currents.
What kind of gasoline is suitable for different engine types??
Motor of any trimmer for grass regardless of the type is designed to work on unleaded gasoline AI-92.
Nevertheless, the engine can run on other types of gasoline, such as AI-76 or AI-95, but it is acceptable only for a short time, i.e. dozens of minutes.
Long work on unsuitable fuel will lead to burnt valves and other problems, after which the power unit will have to be repaired or replaced, so it is necessary to know exactly what gasoline can fuel your particular model of brushcutter.
Some important considerations
It is important to remember that the mixture should not be stored for a long time. Storage should be in a cool, dark place, away from direct sunlight. Even if the mixture is intended to be left for several days before it is used, the canister should be placed on the ground to remove the effect of electrification. The container for the mixture must be made of iron, plastic containers are not allowed.
Car Engine Oil In a Lawnmower? ‘Explained’. Best Engine Oil & Lawnmower Oil
Never use a beverage can for the storage of gasoline or oil (water, juice, or lemonade). The polyethylene terephthalate base on which the food bottle is based is not resistant to petroleum products and the additives in them.
Proper blending is the key to keeping the engine running properly for the entire life of the machine. If everything is done correctly, the consumption will be low and the productivity will be high. Working with this trimmer is a pleasure. To keep the pleasure lasts as long as possible, it is necessary to automate the process of preparation and replacement of the mixture and to use the same resources (oil, fuel).
Ingredients should not be mixed outdoors in direct exposure to sunlight.
Many brands today have abandoned such a concept as “running-in” or running the first few generations in “gentle” mode, at reduced speeds. The manufacturer of Husqvarna chain saws in particular recommends operating the machine at full power from the first mowing cycle and letting it idle for 1 to 3 minutes before starting work. The main thing is that the mixture has all the properties necessary for troublefree engine lubrication and functioning.
Changing the oil in a 4-stroke engine
In a lawnmower with a four-stroke engine to fill the tank with gasoline, and oil in a special hole that is located in the crankcase. The manufacturer’s operating instructions for the equipment contain information on the lubricant change intervals.
Please note that the oil’s effectiveness decreases after approximately 50 hours of machine use. If you need to mow small areas, it is unlikely that so many working hours in one season. The higher the lubricant level, the more often it is used, the higher the risk of overheating and putting grease under pressure.
To change the engine oil, proceed as follows:
- run the lawnmower engine for about 15 minutes at idle speed to warm up the system, so that the fluidity of the lubricant increases (viscosity decreases);
- unscrew the drain plug located on the crankcase;
- tilt the mower in the direction of this drain with a container to collect the used lubricant (as shown in the photo below)
- after the waste has drained out, the plug is screwed back in;
- place the mower on level ground;
- open the top hole;
- pour in new oil suitable for the 4-stroke engine, periodically checking its level with a dipstick;
- when grease has reached the required level, close the filler plug by screwing it on tightly.
pour in 500-600 ml.
For four-stroke internal combustion engines, various service-appropriate oil brands can be used, such as 10W40, SAE-30. Most models will use a SF lubricant grade or higher. It is recommended to use a low-frost lubricant for the winter.
Semi-synthetic oil YUKO SEMISYNTHETIC 10W-40
To avoid contaminating the soil, do not pour the used oil directly on it. To choose the used lubricant, you can also use different devices. One of the options shown in the photo below.
Changing the lubricant in the engine system of a wheeled lawnmower is pretty straightforward. Up to 30 minutes for each application.
Remember that oil and petrol for a lawnmower with a four-stroke engine are not mixed, but poured separately.
The best option for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines is to use gasoline and oil recommended by the manufacturers. For information on suitable brands, please refer to the instruction manual of your lawnmower. Lubricant must have a viscosity no lower than specified or it will not perform the function properly. The gasoline used must not be of a higher grade than that recommended by the manufacturer, because the pistons, valve or rings may burn out. When filling up with fuel or lubricant, it is also important to follow the volumes indicated in the instructions. Especially the proportions should be observed when independently preparing the oil and gasoline mixture.
Different techniques are used to lubricate the gearbox and the shaft, because these parts differ in design and operating principle.
Also shaft lubrication methods for machines with split rods and pull-out bushings are different.
It is also worth noting that when adding a lubricant to the gearbox, the procedure depends on the tool used, i.e. a universal tube or plastic syringe.
Before proceeding, unscrew the screw that covers the hole provided for this purpose. What you do next depends on what you plan to lubricate the gearbox with.
If you use the material in plastic universal tubes with a conical spout, then
- cut the spout so that the diameter of the hole is 2-3 mm;
- Insert the spout of the tube into this hole;
- squeeze out the lubricant until the excess comes out of the hole;
- Pull out the spout of the tube;
- screw in the closing bolt;
- Clean the gearbox surface with a clean cloth.
If you use homemade mixture or ready-made grease for electric trimmer gearbox in other containers, use a 10 cm3 syringe. Take the piston out of the syringe and fill it with oil, then use it in the same way as a universal tube.
To prepare mixture, use a clean, degreased and compressed-air-dried container and the same mixing paddle.
Do not use a container of fuel and lubricants without flushing and degreasing, because you do not know what could get into the contents before and how it affects the operation of the gearbox.
- remove the cutting tool;
- remove the guard;
- Remove the gearbox;
- If your grass trimmer has a collapsible boom, then disconnect it;
- unscrew the bolts connecting the body halves of the electric grass trimmer and fix the shaft;
- pull the rod out of the body;
- Remove the shaft or shafts from the boom or both halves.
details on how to disassemble the boom and remove the shaft are described here (Repair with your own hands).
To lubricate the shaft, first clean it of old oil, wipe it down with diesel fuel or gasoline and degrease it. This way you will remove bushing wear products from its surface, and thus extend the life of the grass trimmer.
- put some oil or mix on a clean, lint-free cloth;
- spread it on the shaft so that the thickness of the layer is about 0.5 mm;
- Slowly insert the shaft into the shaft as far as it will go and rotate it several times;
- Pull out the shaft;
- coat again with compound or ready-mixed product;
- insert the other side as far as it will go, then turn it several times;
- pull the shaft out;
- Reapply the lubricant;
- insert them as they should be inserted;
- assemble the electric mower.
If the design of your electric trimmer allows you to pull out and put back in the bushings, then:
- take them out;
- clean as described above;
- Coat the inside surface with the mixture or a prepared product;
- push each sleeve back into place;
- Apply the lubricant to the shaft and slide it in on the correct side;
- assemble the grass trimmer.
The product is compatible with 4T devices. One of the best budget solutions for trimmers, power tillers, lawn mowers, mini-tractors and other similar equipment. The lubricant creates a thin, thick protective film on the surface that keeps the motor perfectly clean and considerably prolongs its useful life.
Oil for brushcutters. how to choose, in what proportions to dilute
Many of you have a petrol tool in the household, for example, in a private home can not do without a chainsaw. You know, making firewood for the winter, comes in handy at construction and repair, and in general, it is a very necessary tool. If a country house has another and a decent-sized site, then the struggle with the grass just need a trimmer for grass or a lawn mower, which also work on gasoline.
Of course you can buy electric as well, but not everyone likes to pull a 30-meter extension cord to mow a knee-deep patch of grass. Therefore, most people prefer to work with gasoline tools. As you know, you need to add special oil for two-stroke engines. That’s what we’re going to talk about, because this is a very important aspect, if you do not add oil and add in the wrong proportions, then your engine very quickly will “crack” and your way will lie in the service center. To avoid all this trouble, add only quality oil and in the correct proportions.
The most popular for chainsaws, brushcutters and trimmers are products of the famous company STIHL. It comes in two packages of 1 liter and 100 ml. A liter bottle is good for those who do a lot of work, but a small bottle will be enough for “one cut”. A 1 liter container costs 250, and a 10 ml bottle costs 60. If you get a large one, the savings are obvious.
Add the oil to the gasoline in the ratio of 1:50, so you add 100 ml for 5 liters of gasoline. As you can see, the small bottle is perfect for getting 5 liters of petrol mix for your chain saw or weed trimmer. the large bottle has special markings on the side so that you can see how much oil you have poured out of the bottle. If you bought a big 1 liter bottle, buy a 20ml syringe at the drugstore. Very convenient. 1 syringe of oil per 1 liter of gasoline.
Experts recommend to use a brand oil for your machine, it’s perfect because it’s been developed and tested specifically for STIHL power tools. Note that Stihl has its own brands, such as VIKING (popular models of gasoline trimmers). Use Stihl oil for those too, and you won’t have any problems at all.
If you have put more gasoline mixture than you can use, it is best to store the remainder in a metal canister or in a glass container. Never store the mixture in a plastic bottle. Of course, if you use up the leftovers in a couple of days, you can pour the rest of the mixture into a plastic container, but if the mixture will be stored for a long time, then either a canister or a glass container. The reason is that the gasoline mixture corrodes the plastic bottle and there are microscopic precipitates of plastic in the mixture and this is very bad for the engine. Keep that in mind if you want your tool to run long and trouble free.
The second most popular oil brand is the notorious Hooksvarna. Of course, if you put it this way, more people use STIHL chainsaws, at least all my friends and their friends use them exclusively in their work.
But there are those who cherish Husqvarna tools and I understand them because I personally do not see much difference between the Husqvarna and the Stihl, both tools are of very high quality. But I have seen happy owners of Husqvarna chainsaws. they say the saws are awesome. I have not cut my own firewood, but I always listen to what people say. So, if you have a Husqvarna gasoline tool, it would be better to use a special brand oil for it. But nothing bad will happen if you dilute the gasoline with Stihl. But since the manufacturer recommends using only its products, then we do so.
You can find liter containers on sale. Black stylish bottle, the same markings on the side as the Stihl (to know how much oil has been poured out of the bottle). Seems to me the quality is pretty much the same. It’s 270 bucks a bottle, it’s a little more expensive.
The oil is of good quality, costs about the same, and is diluted each in the ratio of 1:50. So feel free to buy any oil, of course, it’s better to buy the oil of that brand that you have a tool. then everything will be perfect, just like the manufacturer advises. Have a good time while sawing, mowing grass and let your power tool work for a long time without breakage.