What To Make A Fishing Line For Trimmer
- Criterias of choice
- How to choose a fishing line for a trimmer. Basic rules:
- Stock footage
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have ornamental shrubs or lawns in the courtyard of the country house or in the country. Of course, they look very beautiful, but they often need to be cut and trimmed. Using an electric or gasoline scythe, you can mow grass quickly and efficiently, including in the most difficult to access areas. The performance of the device depends on the choice of fishing line. Topic of article: fishing line for trimmer. Which is better?
Criterias of choice
Different manufacturing companies use different consumables for the manufacture of woods. To make the right and thoughtful choice, you need to know its main criteria.
Almost all lawn mowers use cords of 1.4-4.0 mm. However, before you get this or that fishing line, do not be too lazy to look into the technical characteristics of the device to find out what thickness of the cord it is designed for.
The approximate cord thickness can be determined, depending on the power source:
- For lawn mowers up to 1 kW, running on battery or mains power, the maximum thickness of the fishing line is 2 mm.
- The optimal thickness of the fishing line for lawn mowers with a power of 0.5 kW is 1.5 mm.
- The thickness of the cord for gasoline appliances is 2.4-3.0 mm. With its help, you can cut not only grass, but also shrubs. Exploiting such a cord is much more profitable. If only because it is stronger, and you won’t have to change it often.
The composition, or from which the fishing line for the trimmer is made:
- The most common material for woods is nylon. This is a wear-resistant material that withstands mechanical stress and quite significant temperature differences. Nylon retains its strength characteristics for a long time.
- Coaxial thread is even stronger than nylon. Its validity is much longer.
- Now on sale are fishing lines with aluminum impregnation. Customer reviews about them are positive.
The most practical option is a round section. Compared with other varieties, such a cord is relatively inexpensive. Over, the quality of mowing is very good. But the round fishing line has a drawback. A lot of noise during the operation of the tool. This problem can be solved if you buy a fishing line with a spiral configuration. In addition, there are square, star and rectangular cords for sale.
A special conversation is about cords with dents and grooves along the entire length. The thickness of this fishing line is 4 mm. It is used in addition to a powerful lawn mowing for overgrown and neglected areas. In this case, the sound from the trimmer is not very strong.
How to choose a fishing line for a trimmer. Basic rules:
The decision about which thread is better is made by the owner. However, there are a few general selection rules that you must follow in any case. Wrong choice can cause the device to fail:
- Choose the thickness of the cord in strict accordance with the technical characteristics of the device and the type of engine. For example, a 4 mm fishing line is not suitable for a low-power device.
- Pay attention to the configuration of the cord section. Young grass on the lawn can be cut with round thin fishing line. Mowing of perennial plants is possible with fishing line with sharp corners in cross section.
- When working, try to avoid cord contact with hard surfaces. Otherwise, the fishing line will wear out faster.
- High price and high quality are not synonyms. Therefore, do not try to purchase the most expensive product. To mow a little grown grass, a budget option with a thickness of 1.2-1.4 mm is enough.
A lawn mowing line is not just a consumable, but an important element, which, if correctly selected, ensures stable operation and high productivity of the device. If you choose the right cord, there will be no problems not only with mowing the lawn, but also with dead wood.
Many users of mowers, both electric and gasoline engines, after some time after using the purchased fishing line are wondering: what can replace it? If hazardous options (chain from a chainsaw, a blade from a hacksaw, a wire, a cable, a string, etc.) that can cause serious injuries to the user and others are excluded, then the best way out of the situation is a homemade fishing line from a plastic bottle.
How to cut a bottle into tape
Before proceeding with the manufacture of a home-made cord, you will need to prepare the material itself, namely a plastic tape of the required width and length. To dissolve the PET bottle onto the tape, various devices are used, the manufacturing algorithm of which can be found on the Internet. If you are going to mow large areas covered with grass, and you need a lot of homemade cord, then, of course, it makes sense to make a more complex bottle cutter from corner or U-shaped aluminum profile. The process for making the bottle cutter is shown in this.
But if mass production of plastic tape does not interest you, then from time to time you can dissolve the bottle into strips in a simple way.
- Take the usual cork from a pet bottle.
- Cut it in half (but not completely).
- Remove all edges inside the cork.
- Having folded the cork in half, pierce it through with a knife, as shown in the figure below, while being careful, as the plastic is very hard. To facilitate the process, the tip of the knife can be heated.
- Use a pair of scissors to cut the bottom of the plastic bottle (as straight as possible, without chipping). Insert the bottle into the fixture from the side where the blade of the knife is sharpened, and begin to cut into a little bit. When a small strip appears, just start pulling it.
Thus, the entire plastic container will open onto a tape of the same width.
The pocket version of the bottle cutter, which will always be at your fingertips, can be made from the usual pencil sharpeners, preferably made of aluminum. Details on how to make it are shown in this.
How to make a fishing line for a trimmer
Cut tape from PET bottles, if wound on a trimmer, will mow, but not for long, because it is fragile and breaks quickly. It needs to be improved a bit, and for this you need to do the following.
- Insert one end of the plastic tape into a vice and clamp it.
- The second end of the tape can be clamped in a drill or screwdriver. Insert it into the screwdriver’s chuck so that it holds well and does not pop out when pulled.
- Turn on the smallest turns on the screwdriver and start twisting the tape, be sure to keep it stretched, otherwise it will begin to tangle.
- After the tape stops twisting without releasing the tension, start warming it construction hairdryer. Since this plastic has heat-shrink properties (it shrinks when heated), the coils will be aligned and soldered.
- While warming up the twisted tape, turn on the screwdriver from time to time and turn the rope to align the turns on it.
- When you warm up the entire tape, you will get a home-made plastic rope that is sufficiently plastic and strong.
- In the case when you don’t have a drill at hand, you can use ordinary plastic tape to twist pAL-KOy, as shown in the following figure.
- A building hair dryer can be replaced with a regular ignition, if you make a cord of small length.
As practice shows, a fishing line for a trimmer, made with one’s own hands from one twisted tape, mows the grass well, but if stones or branches come across it, it quickly wears out. To eliminate this disadvantage, it is recommended to weave a plastic rope from several tapes, for example, from two or three. The following illustration shows a homemade cord woven from three plastic strips. Although it differs in thickness from a single cord, it is much stronger than the first and lasts longer.
Then, as usual, the fishing line for the trimmer is inserted into the mowing head or wound on a spool, and then inserted into the head, after which the protruding ends are cut so that they do not touch the protective cover.
Thus, literally from improvised materials you get a free fishing line for the trimmer, which can be made in unlimited quantities.