Wheels on a single-axle tractor with your own hands
We make wheels for a walk-behind tractor with our own hands
a single axle tractor is a technique that most farmers are familiar with. In fact, it is a mobile tractor that is used for plowing soil, planting plants or transporting goods. It is convenient in small suburban areas, where it is already difficult to do everything with your hands, but a large tractor is not needed. If you are reading this article, then you either already own a single axle tractor, or you are about to purchase one.
One of the most frequent questions of the owners of this technique is how to make wheels for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands? The thing is that, as standard, they wear out very quickly, and are also not suitable for all types of soils and reliefs. Buying new ones is quite costly, so you can resort to your own skill. This article will look at exactly how to do this.
First you need to figure out what types of wheels for a walk-behind tractor generally exist. Since the technique is used in a variety of farming processes, the equipment may vary. This also applies to pneumatic wheels, because a good result and ease of use also depend on the right components. It is important to note that ordinary car wheels from “Oka”, “VAZ 2121” or “Moskvich” cannot be put on a single-axle tractor. All of the options below are larger and heavier. It would be more correct to compare them with ATV kits, although they are not always of the right size.
- Pneumatic. This option can be supplied for arable work and for removing roots from the soil. In appearance, these are large wheels, with a diameter of 40 cm and a width of 20 cm. The pattern on the tread must be rough for a single-axle tractor to work well on the soil. Often this option comes standard and is renowned for its durability. However, if they become unusable, then you should immediately look for a replacement.
- Traction. The popular name for these wheels is a herringbone. All because of the pronounced pattern on their rubber. This look is also versatile and suitable for lug or standard transport solutions. For example, they are often used by snow blowers. Traction tires for a walk-behind tractor are also reliable in everyday life.
- Solid (most often made of rubber). One-piece assemblies are ideal for stony ground. They allow the walk-behind tractor to move faster on such terrain and do not deteriorate after the first use. Of the minuses, they are really very heavy, so it’s not so easy to transfer them. Similar tires are suitable for MTZ series motoblocks and diesel equipment.
- Metallic. The last variation is suitable for clay soil. The thing is that, unlike the previous wheels, these have steel teeth. This, of course, makes the technique heavier, but in soft ground they do their job perfectly. In another way, metal teeth are also called lugs.
As for general recommendations, when choosing what to wear for your single-axle tractor, pay attention to the front wheel. It is supporting and in the process of use absorbs the entire mechanism. This helps to extend the life and improve the quality of work.
In general, such a classification of pneumatic wheels is used not only for a walk-behind tractor, but also for trailers or other tools from the same category. So you can safely use it, because to maintain the durability of all equipment, the farmer’s assortment should include both a trailer and a single-axle tractor.
How to make wheels with your own hands
Having dealt with the types of tires, you should learn how to make the same, but homemade. The first thing to consider is that in any case you will not be able to make wheels for a walk-behind tractor from scratch. You will need a base. old pneumatic wheels from a car, for example, from “Oka” or “VAZ 2121”. In this matter, it all depends on your choice or the availability of suitable material. And by the way, farmers do not recommend buying a new set of tires for rework, as they are not cheap and as a result, you will not be able to save a decent amount by doing the rest of the work yourself.
The second thing, without which nothing will come of it, is to prepare the drawings before starting the process. This issue must be approached responsibly, and the drawings must meet the requirements based on the available materials.
Paired wheels are often made, where an additional weighting agent can be placed inside. Let’s start with this option. The tandem version is a quick and efficient wheel conversion that is available to many. You will need 4 wheels with a good base made of stainless steel (by the way, the masters have tires from Moskvich). You also need to have iron plates with you. The process itself is carried out in several steps.
How to make RC Truck Tires/Wheels From PVC.
- The rubber tire is removed from the base.
- To the rim on which the tire is put on, it is necessary to weld several plates of iron, up to 5 cm wide.Usually, a square is formed from the plates, which is welded to one of the sides of the rim.
- Next, the rim from the second wheel is welded to this square. Thus, you connect the two rims to each other using plates and welding.
- At the last stage, the rubber is put on again on the rims.
That’s it, you’ve got the kit you need. As you can see, their main advantage is their large width. Thanks to this, they look less like wheels from a car, and more like an option for a walk-behind tractor.
The second option, how to strengthen pneumatic wheels, is to increase their wear resistance due to additional materials. In this way, you can remake the wheels of a transport vehicle such as a motorcycle or ATV. In general, you will need larger tires than a regular passenger car. And to increase rigidity, large chains may be suitable.
Let’s move on to the process itself: chains need to be welded to pneumatic wheels. You can try pairing them with rubber or an iron rim. Next, you need to make notches on them so that they imitate the lugs. The result should be similar to purchased metal wheels.
You will have to tinker with this method so that the chains are tightly held and do not fly off during work. This is where blocking chains with a rim, which can be done with steel fasteners and hooks, will help.
An additional element that is often lacking for the convenience of working with a walk-behind tractor is an unblocker, sometimes called a differential. Since the instrument itself is heavy, it is often difficult to control it, namely, to turn in different directions. In this case, an unblocker comes to the rescue. a special device that is attached to the wheels and increases their maneuverability in difficult areas.
The unlocking tool is installed to the output shafts of your walk-behind tractor using bolts. During operation, it reduces the turning radius of the entire machine and increases the track width. If you use a mini tractor on a regular basis, then this thing is simply irreplaceable. You can make an unblocker yourself based on bearings, but in fact. the game is not worth the trouble. On the market they can be found in a wide variety of variations, and unlockers are inexpensive. The most important thing is to find a specialist who will advise on a good product.
So, if you have a need for new “shoes” for a walk-behind tractor and you have the opportunity to use tires from a regular car or motorcycle, then why not give it a try. This article lists the simplest and most popular options, but it all depends on your experience and skills. In fact, the solution is very simple, you only need welding and a little skill. But for a good result, consult with experienced craftsmen before starting work.
How to make wheels on a single-axle tractor with your own hands, see the next video.
Metal with grousers
Such wheels have a certain weight, therefore, they are distinguished by additional power. The steel teeth “push” the machine forward and prevent it from loading, even in the most clay soil.
Particular attention must be paid to the supporting front wheel, which carries a considerable load. It contributes to the optimization of land work and increased endurance of the walk-behind tractor.
Trailer wheels have a similar classification and are selected according to the same principles. Do not forget that in the process of transporting heavy loads, low pressure is exerted on the wheels of the walk-behind tractor, and high pressure on the wheels of the cart (trailer). Therefore, in this case, you need to choose the most durable options.
How to make wheels for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands?
It is necessary to understand that it is impossible to make wheels from scratch with your own hands. It is necessary to find the basis and only after that you can begin to form improved and useful devices.
As this very base, you should use wheels from a motorcycle or from a car. You can only create a self-made version with a lug, because if wheel weights are not used so often, there is no point in purchasing new expensive products. On our website you can find a specialized article, where all the features of creating do-it-yourself lugs are considered in detail.
To expand the wheelbase, it is recommended to use extension cords for the walk-behind tractor wheels, because it is necessary to correctly adapt the device to the individual needs of the farmer. over, to expand the possibilities, you can create twin iron wheels that have a cavity inside to accommodate any weighting agent.
Yes, these objects can hardly be used for a walk-behind tractor trailer, but they will be very useful for the unit itself, because they can be created if a person does not have motorcycle wheels, but are available from UAZ or Moskvich. The advantages of twin wheels:
- reduced towing, and, as a result, an increase in the level of productivity;
- the ability to quickly remove the wheels of the outer plan;
- ease of creation at home;
- maximum contact with the surface.
Twin wheels are gradually becoming more and more popular, because you can spend a little time on their own creation.
For stony ground, because of which many types of wheels deteriorate very quickly, solid products are ideal. Let them weigh a little more than the wheels discussed above, but they do not drift.
These products have the most powerful tires for the walk-behind tractor, therefore, they are bought for diesel types transformed into mini-tractors. For MTZ walk-behind tractors, solid cast ones are considered ideal options.
Wheels for a walk-behind tractor: an overview of the types, how to do it yourself
In most cases, before buying a walk-behind tractor, people pay special attention to the practical characteristics of the device, without being interested in the quality and features of the wheels. Such an approach can hardly be called literate, because the quality and duration of the equipment itself depends on the specified details.
Since the specified unit is a multifunctional device, there are different wheels for a single-axle tractor:
- traction wheels;
- solid rubber options;
- metal wheels with grousers.
To clearly understand the specifics of each type, you should consider their features in more detail.
These options are perfect for frequent plowing and digging up root crops. An important point: the width of the wheels should in no case be less than 20 cm, and the diameter. 40 cm.The aggressive tread pattern will be a huge plus.
The pneumatic components contribute to the incredible stability of the unit, but if damaged they must be replaced. Often they are sold as wheels for Neva walk-behind tractors.
These products have another name: “herringbone”, and all thanks to their versatility and interesting tires. The increased grip width allows them to perform the task of both lugs and classic transport wheels.
What’s more, the traction options are suitable for trolleys and snow blowers, as well as help to cope with off-road conditions. Durable premium rubber for durability and long service life.
How to make twin wheels yourself?
Of particular interest among farmers was a simple and even a little rude, but effective method:
- First you need to find suitable wheels with tires;
- Then it is advisable to cut small protectors on them;
- The next step is that people buy a 5x50mm steel strip, weld 250mm squares and insert them into the rim;
- After welding, the second wheel rim is set up and objects that look like vases are obtained;
- Upon completion, the tires are put on the rims obtained and the paired wheels are ready for use.
It is not difficult to get such useful devices, the main thing is to decide which options are needed and select all the necessary “ingredients”.
Wheels for walk-behind tractor
Wheels for the walk-behind tractor are responsible for the cross-country ability and maneuverability of the equipment. With the constant operation of mini-units in difficult conditions, even the most reliable and high-quality wheels become unusable.
You don’t always need to spend money on new parts. Wheels for the walk-behind tractor are quite possible to make yourself.
Making paired wheels with your own hands
When using equipment in conditions of increased complexity, you need to acquire twin wheels. Double elements are made according to the following scheme:
- Protectors are cut on suitable wheels;
- Squares of 2525 cm are welded from steel pieces, which are installed in the central part of the rim;
- After welding, a second rim is installed. You should get a product that resembles a vase;
- Tires are mounted on joint rims.
For the manufacture of paired parts, you will need rims of the same size.
These wheels have two parts, they have the same dimensions and shapes. Due to their design, they provide excellent passability of the walk-behind tractor on uneven surfaces, significantly increase its speed on a flat road.
With such wheels, towing is practically excluded. Therefore, they are often mounted during winter.
Wheel extenders for walk-behind tractor
Axle extensions for motoblocks allow you to expand the wheelbase. With the help of such a part, the unit becomes more stable regardless of the track width.
Extension cords may be needed to accomplish the following tasks:
- performing heavy types of work and work on difficult soils;
- using machinery on uneven areas;
- preventing the motoblock from collapsing and towing when using complex attachments;
- the best cross-country ability and maneuverability of equipment is provided;
- installation of iron and pneumatic wheels, lugs.
This part is selected for a specific uniaxial tractor. Among the important characteristics of extension cords:
- length of parts within 200-375 mm;
- the inner diameter of the bore. it is important that it matches the characteristics of the unit;
- the outer diameter of the bore. is responsible for the reliability of the attachment.
Pneumatic wheels are unique in their design and have a peculiar tread pattern. It is thanks to him that the traction wheels have a second name. “herringbone”.
These are wide elements that provide comfortable movement on a flat road and viscous wet ground.
Parameters of pneumatic wheels:
- width is more than 20 centimeters;
- diameter up to 40 centimeters.
Thanks to this data, the wheels are suitable for plowing on large land plots.
Metal wheels with grousers
This type of wheel is quite small. But the power and endurance of the unit is provided by the presence of weighting materials.
The construction also includes steel teeth. Their task is to push the single-axle tractor forward, preventing towing even in the smallest area.
Types of wheels for motoblocks
the single-axle tractor is a multifunctional agricultural machinery. All parts and systems must be in good working order for high performance. Otherwise, the technique will not cope with the assigned tasks. Equipped wheels play a special role in this regard.
traktoriukas (homemade one wheel tractor)
Depending on the design characteristics, the wheels on a single-axle tractor are divided into the following types:
- solid rubber;
- metal type with grousers;
Each type of wheel allows you to solve different problems. When using special components, you can significantly increase the performance of the walk-behind tractor, make it as stable as possible.