Which caterpillars are best for a tiller
The uniqueness of the track attachments lies in the fact that their installation instead of the basic wheel drive in a matter of minutes turns an ordinary tiller into an effective towing vehicle, all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile. Such modernization is most relevant for equipment belonging to the category of small-sized agricultural units with a shaft with a diameter of 30 mm. The tracked module can be purchased ready-made or assembled independently. To implement the second option in the vastness of the World Wide Web, you can easily find drawings and video instructions for assembly and installation.
High-quality purchased and competently hand-made devices are characterized by increased strength and durability. Do not forget about the simplicity of installation, operation and maintenance. To install a purchased platform of any configuration and complexity, no special knowledge and technical means are required. Basic skills and a minimum set of tools will be enough. The installation of homemade units has a number of nuances. It should be borne in mind that a platform that is too high shifts the center of gravity of the entire machine, which in itself negatively affects its stability. As a result, the risk of the tiller overturning off-road and when performing maneuvers is significantly increased. To increase stability during the installation of tracks, an additional axle must be placed higher.
In addition, the width of the axles must be taken into account. Experienced owners advise increasing the wheelbase if necessary. If a differential is not available, a pivoting jib can be used as an effective alternative. This triangular arrangement will have a positive effect on the maneuverability of the tracked trailer. When choosing, purchasing, manufacturing and installing a tracked drive, it should be borne in mind that such an upgrade is not relevant for air-cooled models. This is due to excessive load on the power unit.
Both domestic and foreign companies specialize in the production of tracked platforms. Among the first, we can single out the models “Buran”, “Lynx”, “Ant”, “Krutets”. The imported modules include Talon brand products. At the same time, both universal modifications and platforms developed for specific tiller models are presented on the market. The products of the CAM brand are now among the most popular in the Russian Federation. This manufacturer presents on the market several model series of SP MB set-top boxes. It should be noted that these platforms are not universal and are created for a specific technique.
Triangular modules deserve special attention. Due to the technical characteristics, the demand among domestic farmers and summer residents for the GP-N1 tracked platforms is growing today. The main advantages of these models include an increase in longitudinal stability in the process of using plowmen. This is because the triangular arrangement of the track chains minimizes the risk of the front end lifting when the tractive effort is increased.
Advantages and disadvantages
In many respects, the caterpillar track compares favorably with the wheeled version. Given the fact that farm owners are trying to maximize the use of tillers to perform a wide range of tasks, the purchase or manufacture of caterpillars will be a rational decision. Naturally, like any other technique, these machines have their undeniable advantages and no less significant disadvantages. As for the merits, there are several points to highlight here.
- Effective load distribution minimizes pressure on the supporting surface.
- Thanks to these elements, the permeability of the device is increased.
- The crawler track is highly maneuverable.
- Caring for the module does not require special knowledge and skills from the owner. During operation, it is only necessary to monitor the state of the rubbing parts, which must be periodically lubricated, as well as to control the tension of the track chains and their solidity.
- Self-construction of a caterpillar track can significantly reduce financial costs.
If we consider the negative aspects of such a modernization of tillers, you should pay attention to a possible decrease in the speed of movement of vehicles. However, as practice shows, this disadvantage is fully compensated by the advantages listed above. This is, first of all, about stability and passability, including when transporting various goods.
Description and working principle
The effectiveness of tillers cannot be overestimated. This can be confirmed by any farmer who owns such a technique. These multifunctional units are used year-round by re-configuring the drive and installing crawler-mounted modules. As a result, the tiller can be operated in almost any conditions. Now many manufacturing companies offer their products in this segment. In addition, there are many drawings and detailed instructions, according to which, with minimal cost and with the necessary skills, the owner of the described equipment will be able to make tracks for the tiller on his own. Regardless of which option you choose, the following factors must be considered:
- track chains can be made from a wide variety of materials;
- attachments must correspond in weight to the power of the power unit;
- in most cases, the tracks are mounted on four wheels, so two-wheeled models require appropriate modifications.
Compared to wheels, even with grousers, the track elements provide the maximum footprint. This distributes pressure to the surface and significantly increases permeability. As a result, the modernized tillers are operated with equal efficiency in winter and off-road.
Competent use of any device is the key to its durability and maintaining a high level of technical performance. Naturally, the tracked tiller is no exception, so the owners of such equipment should take into account some important points.
- The optimal speed is in the range of 18-20 km / h.
- Pay attention to the platform capacity. According to current statistics, 200 kg models are in greatest demand.
- The maximum allowable snow depth, limited by the location of the power plant, is also an important indicator. Modern modifications of the modules allow tracked tillers to move in snow up to 50 cm deep.
- The maximum depth of liquid mud is 45-50 cm. As in the previous case, the determining factor is the height of the engine.
To maximize the life of the track assembly and the tiller as a whole will allow compliance with a few simple rules for operating the equipment. Before and after each trip, it is strongly recommended that you:
- carry out a thorough inspection of the track chains and other elements of the module;
- control the degree of tension;
- check the quality of fastening of all parts;
- pay great attention to the condition of the tracks.
tillers equipped with caterpillar attachments can be safely called a universal technique. They are successfully used not only for agricultural work in various, even the most difficult operating conditions. The owners of the units focus on the ability of the modernized units to easily overcome any, including snow-covered areas. Tillers equipped with tracked platforms can be used all year round for:
- performance of work of any complexity in swampy and hard-to-reach areas;
- land clearing.
- transportation of goods.
In addition, such units are a convenient means of transportation for hunters and fishermen. It is the scope of application and the tasks set for the technique that determine the features of consoles and modules, which are most often equipped with rubber tracks. These elements of the modernization of equipment have many modifications that differ from each other:
- shape (there are rectangular axial and triangular gear);
- installation principle;
- materials used.
The components of the axle modules are the following:
- main platform;
- rollers (4 pcs.);
- gears (2 pcs.);
- caterpillars (2 pcs.).
When analyzing the types of additional attachments, the installation methods should also be taken into account. So, rectangular models are fastened by means of a bolted connection. The rollers installed at the bottom of the axle are responsible for the tension of the track chains. And the platform is driven by two gears located on both sides. A gear-type attachment with a triangular track tension consists of:
- large gears;
- a frame with a rigid structure;
- rollers (8 pcs.);
- caterpillar belts.
The gears are mounted on an axle connected directly to the tiller gearbox. The rollers are located in pairs at the bottom of the structure, along the edges of the tracks. This solution allows you to provide optimal tension while driving. In parallel with this, unlocking the differential greatly simplifies the performance of various maneuvers.
Selecting and installing tiller tracks
- Description and working principle
- Advantages and disadvantages
- What are?
- Top Models
- Operating rules
- Care Tips
Modern models of tillers, produced by both foreign and domestic manufacturers, are quite powerful equipment. Its characteristics and the ability to use additional equipment, in particular, the installation of tracks, provide a wide range of tasks. At the same time, functionality depends on the correct choice of ready-made or competent manufacture of homemade tracked units.
As already mentioned, the guarantee of long-term and stable operation of the tiller is a careful attitude towards it. In particular, we are talking about the inadmissibility of overloads. In addition, proper maintenance of tracked platforms is also important. Experienced owners and manufacturers advise periodic maintenance. Such measures do not require significant time and financial expenditures, but allow to ensure the maximum service life of the equipment.
Also, regardless of the module modification, it is required to constantly maintain the required track tension. It is equally important to monitor the condition of the rollers and gears. These structural elements must be lubricated periodically.
For information on how to install the track on the tiller, see the next video.
When buying a tiller for a summer residence or farming, users pay attention to the power of the motor, which directly affects the performance and functionality of the equipment. But this approach to the acquisition of the unit is not entirely correct. Indeed, in the process of intensive use at increased loads, the equipment sooner or later fails. In such a situation, to restore its functionality, it will be necessary not only to purchase spare parts for the MTZ tiller, but, as practice shows, to install new wheels. The latter belong to the undercarriage and ensure the movement of equipment around the personal plot. Therefore, when choosing a tiller, it is important to pay attention to the type and size of the wheels. If the chassis is equipped with elements of poor quality, the probability of their breakdown increases due to increased loads. As a result, the farmer runs the risk of not delivering the cargo to the destination or disrupting deadlines when preparing the field for the sowing campaign.
Chassis modernization is carried out when:
- the wheelbase wears out and goes out of working condition;
- it is necessary to increase the throughput of the tiller;
- you need to improve the maneuverability of the unit.
The installation of new wheels is carried out according to the following algorithm. At the first stage, the bolts are unscrewed and the worn out elements (with a disc) are removed. But before putting new wheels on the tiller, it is important to pay attention to the arrow marked on the sidewall of the tire. It determines the direction of rotation of the wheel.
When deciding how to choose wheels for a tiller, it is important first of all to find out what types of wheels exist. According to the classification, there are three types:
- pneumatic. In their design, a rubber tire and a camera are distinguished;
- metal with lugs. The peculiarity of such a wheelbase is increased cross-country ability;
- rubber. It is a one-piece construction made up of a rim and rubber.
Which option should you give preference to? The choice should be made based on the operating conditions of the tiller. For example, plowing too wet soil or a clayey area will be quite difficult if you do not use equipment equipped with metal wheels with lugs. Their teeth go deep into the ground, which creates extra force to keep the tiller moving in the right direction.
If the unit is used for harvesting or planting, for example, potatoes, in an area with normal soil, you can give preference to the pneumatic wheel model. If the soil is characterized by the presence of a large percentage of stones, then equipment equipped with a cast wheelbase is ideal for plowing the field. Such undercarriage elements demonstrate good resistance to mechanical damage. The main disadvantage of cast wheels is a lot of weight. Therefore, the latter, as a rule, equip medium and heavy equipment.
Advice! In order to increase the efficiency of equipment in different weather conditions, it is recommended to purchase two types of wheels, for example, a pneumatic and a metal version with lugs. These are quick-change elements of the undercarriage, so there will be no problems with their installation.
The main criteria for the selection of quick-detachable elements of the undercarriage
So which wheels are best for a tiller? The selection criteria for quick-detachable elements are as follows:
- type (pneumatic. for working on normal soil, cast. for processing virgin lands, metal with lugs. to improve cross-country ability on clay or too wet areas);
- diameter. The size of the universal chamber-type models that can be installed on all brands of Tillers is 4-10 inches. With heavy equipment, chamber wheels with metal rims with a radius of 6-12 inches are used. Additionally, they are equipped with extensions and fasteners. Such elements of the chassis allow not only to handle large areas, but also to transport goods. It is not worth equipping heavy units with low-pressure tires. The choice of the size of the wheels should be based on the purposes of operating the equipment. For example, wide models (with a diameter of at least 40 cm and a width of 20 cm) are well suited for plowing the soil, digging out potatoes. To treat the sown crop from weeds, choose a narrower wheelbase so as not to damage the plants when driving;
- the presence of extension cords. Such elements are included in the set of the wheelset used to equip equipment operating in difficult areas. Extension cords are presented in a wide range of sizes. from 20 to 37.5 cm.The main task of this device is to increase the maneuverability of the unit.
Important! When choosing a wheelbase for a tiller, it is important to pay attention to its markings. The latter includes data (applied in the form of an alphanumeric code, decrypted using a special table) on the type of tire design, the indicator of the possible carrying capacity and the index of the maximum permissible speed.
How to assemble wheels on a tiller at home
It is impossible to create pneumatic or cast models independently (without the use of special equipment). And in principle, it makes no sense to do this, because car wheels can be used to equip the chassis. Zhiguli disks or tires from Niva are easily installed on the tiller.
At home, lugs are most often collected. Factory models are not cheap, so it is unprofitable to purchase them for processing small areas. The way out of the situation is to make it yourself. All it takes is a rim from old auto rims, metal plates, bolts and patience. The lug assembly algorithm is as follows:
- Old auto discs of the required diameter are selected based on the power of the tiller, since the weight of the finished structure will be impressive (it is completely made of metal).
- Plates are welded along the entire outer radius of the rim. In order to increase the strength of the structure, they can be additionally fixed with bolts.
- Teeth are welded to metal plates. They are made from a steel angle, which is pre-cut into blanks of the required length. There must be a distance between the teeth. at least 15-20 cm.
- The axle shafts are welded into the disk, the design is complemented by bearings and mounted on the chassis of the tiller.
The teeth provide reliable traction of the wheels on clay soil when working in all weather conditions. To reduce slippage, simplify equipment control in difficult operating conditions by increasing the missing mass of the unit, weights are attached to the outer side of the lugs (from the inner side of the wheels or to the tiller bracket) using hub bolts. By using this attachment, the weight is increased by 20%.
Benefits of using tiller tracks
To improve the transport capabilities of the vehicle, tiller tracks are used. Thanks to them, the unit can be operated even in winter, since there will be no problems with its maneuverability.
A ready-made caterpillar drive GP H1 triangular is not cheap, so you can assemble the structure yourself from scrap materials. Drawings are prepared in advance or you can use ready-made sketches. If you organize the work correctly, the track will be reliable and stable.
Compared to a wheeled track, the crawler track uses a large surface area when driving.
Thanks to this feature, it is provided:
- Uniform load distribution;
- Reducing the ground pressure of the machine.
- Excellent vehicle maneuverability;
- Long-term operability of the device without interruption;
- Increased movement speed;
- Work regardless of the weather.
Tracked vehicles will not get stuck in sand, snow and heavy mud.
How to make caterpillars for a tiller with your own hands?
A caterpillar attachment for a tiller can be made by hand, even without experience in this matter. When choosing a material, you need to take into account the level of the forthcoming load. Finished tracks should be durable, maximum lightness, not deteriorate during operation, not overload the motor.
When designing a structure, you should take care of fastening a pair of wheels of equal dimensions. Each wheel axle will have a fixed strap. Can be used with conveyor belts, truck tires, belts and chains.
There are several ways to make a caterpillar for a tiller. Having considered the features of each of them, you can choose the most relevant.
Scheme of manufacturing a caterpillar using a toothed conveyor belt:
- With a fishing line with an awl or a thickened needle, a strip is stitched along the edge of the tape to prevent fraying;
- The roller chain is mounted internally for good adhesion to the driving elements;
- The sewn tape is sewn into a ring that fits tightly around the wheels.
This is the easiest way to alter the unit, which does not require special skills. It is important to take a tape no thinner than seven millimeters so that it does not deteriorate during use. The universal tracked platform can be of any size.
For the design of the track attachment, you can use truck tires with pronounced treads. We’ll have to use a sharp knife and jigsaw. It is important that the inner diameter of the tires used matches the girth of the wheels. If all materials and tools are ready, they begin to manufacture the structure.
Scheme of manufacturing a caterpillar using truck tires:
- The edges of the tire are cut off with an electric jigsaw;
- Inside the tire it is cleaned from various protrusions;
- Ready-made tracks are immediately installed on the tires of the unit’s wheels.
There are also more complex manufacturing options when an asterisk is used instead of wheels.
The track attachment to the tiller is made of belts and chains according to the following principle:
- The roller chain is replaced by two equal pieces of a regular chain. Parts of the belt with a wedge-shaped profile are attached to them;
- Steel lugs are bolted to the belt;
- The track bed is connected, the extreme links are welded to make the structure as strong as possible.
This design is distinguished by its versatility, therefore it is suitable for many models of tillers. Often, the equipment of the brands Neva, Salyut is subjected to such alteration.
Grousers are not only made of steel, but also wooden, plastic. For this, wooden blocks and plastic pipes are used. The choice of material is based on the specifics of the purpose of the tiller. If the load on the unit is small, it is worth stopping at a lighter material. So devices made of bars or pipes are suitable for tillers with low-power motors. If the unit plays the role of a mini-tractor with a powerful engine, then preference should be given to steel elements.
Track attachment device
The tracked module for the tiller is made one by one with two options. Each has its own design features.
- Axle with four rollers at the bottom. They create tension on the track;
- There are two gears on the left and right along the edges. They are needed to tighten the tracks and provoke the movement of the module in a horizontal position. For this, a special frame is fixed with bolts;
- A gear transmission is welded to the shaft;
- The entire track unit is driven by a chain and an articulated transmission;
- A caterpillar track having V-shaped rates. The tip follows the movement of the machine.
- A large gear wheel is fixed on the axle, on the frame there are eight rollers that keep the belt taut and smooth movement of the tiller;
- When raising and lowering the gear, the belt tension level is controlled;
- The track attachment does not need to be assembled by yourself, it is better to purchase one. This eliminates breakdowns that may be associated with incorrect assembly.
Proper Caterpillar Care
Homemade caterpillars will last much longer if you take care of them comprehensively.
General recommendations for care:
- It is necessary to control the level of adjustment and tension of the chain;
- Leaving on the finished unit, you need the chain to be complete and without damage;
- All rubbing parts must be constantly wiped with machine oil to prevent damage.
Simple care recommendations will help prevent the failure of finished structures. the tracked tiller will become a versatile assistant for solving various tasks.
A method of making a caterpillar from belts and chains
Consider a method of making a product from belts and chains. Tracks can also be made from standard V-belts. Connect them using lugs, which are attached to the belts with screws and rivets.
When making tracks from chains, they must be the same size. The chains are opened, closed in a ring and welded. Steel plates can be used to make lugs, which are used to fasten chains with bolts.
On sale you can find a unique caterpillar drive GP. H1, which is suitable for many cultivators. It is suitable for the tiller “Neva”, “Ugra”, “Cascade”, “Salute”, “Favorite”, “Oka”, Havert, Caiman, Nusqarna.
They have a circle diameter of 30 mm. For heavy tillers such as MTZ or Agro, these tracks are not suitable.
Tiller “Neva” with a caterpillar attachment has good maneuverability. It is impossible to get stuck with it in mud, snow and sand. It is very popular in Russia, as it is intended for processing small areas.
Ready-made tracks for tillers are very easy to install. They serve as attachments.
Tracked module for tiller
The tracked module for a tiller is an attachment that will make it possible to transform your equipment into a snowmobile or a motorized towing vehicle. over, this can be done in a matter of minutes.
Tracks for a tiller are beneficial for those who already have a motor cultivator. Having such an attachment, it is possible to put on the caterpillar track not only the Neva tiller and other brands of similar equipment, but also motor cultivators with a working shaft diameter of 30 mm.
To make a caterpillar drive to the tiller with your own hands, you may need a drawing.
Under the Krutets brand, caterpillar belts are produced, which, regardless of the power and weight of the cultivator, are suitable for tillers of any manufacturer. They have a sturdy frame and can be used in any season. The prefix is installed on the tiller using keys.
Domestic “Lynx”, “Ant” and “Buran” can be attributed to the well-known consoles on Tillery. Imported ones include: Talon 380, Talon WT, etc.
As for a self-made caterpillar, you need to remember that its high height increases the center of gravity of the unit. This threatens instability and rollover on bends and problem areas. Additional axle needs to be increased for stability.
If you use a triangular swivel extension (in the absence of a differential), there is a chance to increase the maneuverability of the vehicle. Please note that an air-cooled engine unit is not suitable for crawler tracks.
He just can’t handle the heavy load. Water cooled tillers are ideal. The motor does not overheat with this cooling.
Tiller tracks allow those who like active rest in winter. fishermen and hunters. to get to their destination without hindrance. Such a machine can also transport various goods, hay or firewood.
Reviews of homemade caterpillars are positive. When making your own tracks, you cannot save on trifles and details, otherwise the tiller will turn out to be unreliable. Or you need to purchase homemade consoles from craftsmen who have repeatedly been engaged in the manufacture of caterpillars for tillers.
If you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to purchase a ready-made set-top box. Its only drawback is the high price.
How to make caterpillars for a tiller with your own hands
Let’s consider how to make caterpillars for a tiller with your own hands. To assemble the caterpillar on your own, you can use a variety of materials that are easy to find. List of materials and tools that are needed to make a caterpillar:
- Angle Grinder;
- welding machine;
- sanding belts;
The crawler drive for the tiller must evenly distribute the load to the ground during operation. Therefore, it must be strong and light at the same time.
The most affordable way is to use a roller chain with a conveyor belt. To obtain a caterpillar from the specified materials, the edges of the chain and tape must be stitched.
To do this, you can use a machine, or you can sew by hand. But this method is unreliable. A hinge similar to a piano tape is also suitable for connection.
The thickness of the track must correspond to the capacity of the machine. For heavy agricultural machinery, it is better to take a thicker tape (7-15 mm). It must be placed carefully as it is quite heavy.
Consider how to make homemade tiller tracks from tires. There is another method of making homemade tracks for a unit that uses a tractor or car tire tread.
These caterpillars are easier to prepare and much more practical. This method has another advantage. there is no need to prepare the lugs separately.
Before starting production, study the video instructions and photos of “homemade products” widely presented on specialized forums. DIY caterpillar drawings are shown below.
Manufacturing method: first you need to pick up a tire and carefully cut a tread track out of it. If you do this by hand, you will need a well-sharpened knife. But, as practice has shown, it is better to use a jigsaw and a file with fine teeth.
To reduce friction, while working with the jigsaw, you need to wet it from time to time with water or a special soap solution.
After the cut, you need to pay attention to the seamy side. If extra layers are noticeable, then they must be cut off. As for the lugs, if there are not enough of them, new ones can be cut.
The advantage of a tire track is that it is initially round and has a closed circle. The downside may be the limited tire width.
Guide for making a caterpillar for a tiller from improvised means: drawings of a goose, instructions, video
Many craftsmen, in order not to spend money on buying a ready-made caterpillar for a tiller, start making it with their own hands. Homemade products require ingenuity and locksmith skills from the master, without which it will be difficult to make such a drive.
Top popular track tiller models
Tracked tillers are very rare, in most cases manufacturers produce goose attachments that can be installed on wheeled models. The most common specialized snow plow tillers on tracks.
- The Caiman Vario is one of the most famous tracked trailer vehicles. The machine consists of a standard Caiman Vario 70S pneumatic tire tiller with a 7 hp Japanese engine, removable tracks and a two-seater sled. In this winter configuration, it can be used as a snowmobile for a fishing or hunting trip. For work related to the transportation of goods over rough terrain, the tiller is equipped with a cargo sled and weights. For snow removal, you can install a shovel blade or a snow plow attachment.
- Yard-Man YM 7110 DET is a snow plow tiller with a 4-stroke 10 hp engine. Working width. 710 mm, working height. 530 mm, throwing distance of snow masses. up to 15 m.Eight-speed drive (6 forward, 2 reverse) with friction clutch and tracks with directional tread guarantee high performance even on difficult terrain.
- The HUTER 8100C is a self-propelled snow blower equipped with a four-stroke, single-cylinder 11 hp engine, designed to effectively clear snow drifts in extreme winter conditions. The snow thrower bucket spans 700 mm wide and 540 mm high. The power plant of the unit is equipped with an electric starter, heated grips and an autonomous fuel supply.
Whether you are using a crawler tiller for snow clearing, cross-country driving, winter fishing or hunting?
The principle of movement of tracked vehicles
For a tracked vehicle of any purpose, be it a tank or a snowmobile, the forward motion is provided by a tracked mover (DG).
Choosing the Right Tiller For Your Compact Tractor
It uses two motivating factors:
- torque Mk transmitted from the engine / power drive to the drive wheels;
- track grip.
The caterpillar or caterpillar chain of the main engine is called a link structure, which is a solid continuous belt or chain.
For full grip on the ground, the track is equipped with embossed protrusions that serve as active lugs.
The principle of the caterpillar track is illustrated by the kinematic diagram of the operation of the main engine, located below. The following positions are indicated on the diagram:
- pos. 1. caterpillar;
- pos. 2. supporting rollers to prevent sagging of the track belt;
- pos. 3. drive sprocket (drive wheel), which converts the torque from the engine into the traction force required for the machine to move forward;
- pos. 4. support rollers providing full contact of the track bed with the surface of the ground support;
- pos. 5. shock absorbers;
- pos. 6. a guide wheel, which serves to direct the forward motion of the machine, and transfers part of its weight to the ground.
The crawler movement is carried out as follows:
- The driving sprocket (pos. 3) is supplied with torque Мк.
- Rotating sprocket rewinds continuous belt / track chain (item 2).
- The caterpillar (pos. 2) is in close adhesion to the support surface (ground, loose soil, etc.). It is affected by:
- force Rz. reaction of the support surface, which the caterpillar transfers to the vehicle frame;
- weight load G;
- tangential reaction of the ground support Рк.
The rewound belt / track chain is continuously laid in the direction of the forward movement of the vehicle on the surface of the ground support under the track rollers, creating a path for the wheels of the machine with lower resistance to movement than on soft ground.
In the process of movement, the track rises from the supporting surface and transfers the pushing force to the vehicle frame.
The specific pressure on the support (ground) along the length of the track is uneven. increased in the area of the drive sprockets, decreased in the front part in the area of the guide wheel (pos. 6). Maximum ground pressure from the main engine. in the area of the track rollers (pos. 4).
Application of the conveyor belt
It is considered one of the simplest methods. In addition to the conveyor belt, a sleeve roller chain is required. The simplicity in this case lies in the fact that manufacturing does not require a large amount of auxiliary materials and tools. To extend the life of the conveyor belt in the device, you need to circle it around the edges with a fishing line. In this case, it is important to ensure a step of 10 mm. To connect the tapes, in this case, a ring is necessary, you need to sew it along the ends or use hinges.
Particular attention is paid to the thickness of the conveyor belt. The level of load on the unit directly depends on this. Optimal will be the selection of a tape with a thickness of at least 7 mm. Among other things, you will have to take care of an additional wheel on each side. You can remove it from the old car, but it is important that its diameter coincides with the same parameter for the wheel on the tiller.
Any means capable of driving off-road and even overcoming water obstacles are considered to them in everyday life.
There are plenty of varieties of all-terrain industrial equipment:
- off-road vehicles;
- swamp walkers;
- tracked tractors and conveyors;
- ATV category cars, etc.
Their cost is not affordable for everyone, so in home workshops they prefer to create their own exclusive products, “changing” their cars to self-made tire tracks for an all-terrain vehicle.
Depending on the power of the vehicle engine, wider webs can be allowed.
For homemade all-terrain vehicles with a 40-70 hp engine. and with a small weight load, a tape 30-40 cm wide is enough.
For UAZ vehicles with 110-150 hp engine requires a 40 cm wide track with track rollers (6 pcs.) and support rollers (3 pcs.).
Naturally, to overcome the water obstacle, the height of the tractor tire profile will not be enough, it is necessary to install high lugs.
The figure shows an all-terrain vehicle based on a car “Oka” with a tracked belt made of tires.
How to make a caterpillar for a tiller with your own hands
If you wish, you can independently modify your tiller, turning it into a tracked all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile. The main rule is that you should take into account what kind of work the tracks are intended for in order to choose the right material, because they must be not only durable, but also extremely light.
Having the materials at hand, having correctly calculated the length of the caterpillar, you can make it yourself using simple improvised means.
The first step is to equip your tiller with an extra pair of wheels. For each side pair, a caterpillar track will be worn.
The length of each of the two goslings will be equal to the circumference of one wheel and the distance between the axles of each pair of wheels, multiplied by two.
Important: the wheels on the tiller must be of the same diameter.
The material for homemade products can be:
- conventional conveyor belt and bush-roller chain;
- car tires;
- belts and chains.
So, let’s consider several options for making a goose yourself, depending on the material used.
From the tire
It is enough just to make a durable reliable goose for the tiller from a tire. The process of making from a car tire does not take too long, since it does not need to be stitched and lugs built up. the tire itself is a closed structure with a tread for traction.
Best Garden Tillers Top 5 Garden Tiller Picks | 2021 Review
Tires from wheels for trucks or tractors with a pronounced tread pattern are best suited for a caterpillar.
The manufacturing process is divided into several stages:
- With a very sharp knife dipped in soapy water to enhance the cutting ability on rubber, cut the tape for the goose of the required width.
- The sidewalls from the tire are cut off with a jigsaw with a file with a fine tooth.
- Hard parts on the inside of the tire are also cut off with a knife or jigsaw.
However, there are several points here that should be noted:
- The tread pattern should be clearly expressed, since its reliefs are a kind of lugs that increase the adhesion of the moving mechanism to the surface.
- The length of such a track is limited by the diameter of the tire, therefore, before attaching an additional pair of wheels, this should be taken into account.
Motorized towing vehicles, nicknamed in everyday speech motor dogs, are a mechanical coupling of a sleigh with a towing vehicle on the main engine. The driver and the load are placed in the sleigh.
Serial models are produced in a wide range of drive power (from 6 to 30 hp) and are equipped with a main engine made of a rubber-metal band with a width of up to 60 cm.
Home craftsmen usually make tugs based on a 15 hp engine from improvised means, installing tracks from 500 mm wide tires.
Such self-made motorized dogs are capable of transporting sledges with a load of up to 700 kg, developing a speed of up to 40-50 km / h.
Most often, a home-made caterpillar for a motor dog is made from a tire to save money.
The photo shows a self-made motorized towing vehicle based on the tiller.
Car tire use
For a tiller, caterpillars are often taken from car tires. Craftsmen claim that the design has high reliability when the specified element is included in it. In order for the resulting tiller to be practical, it is imperative to take care of the quality of car tires. They must have the correct tread pattern. In this respect, tires from large cars and tractors are preferable. The tread pattern is of key importance as it acts as a lug.
The manufacturing process can be roughly divided into several stages. Here they are:
- After finding suitable tires, a track for tracks is cut out of them. This is a laborious job that will take a long time.
- A well-sharpened knife is used for cutting. Better to take the one that shoemakers use. From time to time, it must be moistened in a soapy solution. This will make the rubber easier to cut.
- Both sidewalls are cut from the tires. To simplify the process, you can use a jigsaw with fine teeth for this. Remove excess fragments inside the tire, if necessary. If the track is too hard inside, this manipulation can be repeated.
The advantage of this method is that there is no need for a ring connection. The tire already has a closed structure.
Thanks to this, it is possible to improve the indicators of the reliability of the tracks, which is especially important in conditions of heavy loads. Yet such tracks are of a rather limited length. It corresponds to a similar parameter for a car tire.