Which Electric Trimmer is Better to Choose
Neat and well-kept lawn – decoration of any yard and garden. Gently and evenly cutting the grass by hand is too time-consuming, so progress comes to the rescue, which has presented us with a variety of tools for lawn care. It remains only to decide which of them. A lawn mower, a lawn mow or a trimmer to choose.
The purpose of the tool in the country
Electric garden trimmers are designed to care for small areas with difficult terrain and many obstacles (such as trees or flower beds). The trimmer is a metal rod on which the engine and cutting head are mounted. The compact size significantly increases the maneuverability of the tool and allows you to mow grass in places inaccessible to larger equipment.
As the name implies, grass trimmers are equipped with an engine that can run on an electrical network or battery.
- Type of cutting tool (fishing line, wire or knives);
- Engine location (top or bottom);
- Handle shape (D-shaped or T-shaped).
Household appliances are characterized by low power (up to 1000 watts, usually no more than 750 watts). With a small engine power, the choice of a cutting element is limited to a small cross-section line (up to 2 mm). Such a tool is designed to treat a lawn with soft grass and can not cope with plants with thick stems and small bushes. The engine of such models is usually located at the bottom, which greatly simplifies the design.
Handles have a D-shape, this is a more comfortable option when processing small areas, and also reduces the size of the structure.
Professional tools have a layout in which the engine is located at the top and has a power of up to 2 kW. Such a powerful engine allows you to equip the cutting head not only with fishing line or wire, but also with plastic or metal knives, which significantly increases productivity.
Such trimmers can easily cope with hard weeds and young shrubs. The T-shaped handle is more convenient when processing large areas where special maneuverability is not required.
A wide range of devices is available on the market, and knowing how to choose an electric trimmer for grass cutting, you can choose the best option, taking into account your needs and the price of the unit.
What to look for
There are several selection criteria that you need to pay attention to first of all:
- Performance. This parameter depends on engine power and design of the cutting head. It should be borne in mind that more powerful models have significantly more weight and a significantly higher price. For a well-groomed area of 6 acres, power up to 750 watts is enough.
- Engine location. Trimmers with a lower engine arrangement have significantly lower weight and price due to the absence of a gear mechanism. However, I equip such trimmers with engines of lower power, respectively, they have less performance.
- The shape of the pen. Devices with a D-shaped handle are easier to maneuver, bypass obstacles and mow along curbs. With a T-shaped handle similar to a bicycle handlebar, it is easier to handle large areas due to the uniform load on both hands.
- The presence of belts. If the choice fell on a powerful model with an upper engine, you need to pay attention to the shoulder straps, they greatly simplify the work with the trimmer, removing the load from the hands.
- Manufacturer. A large amount of this equipment is presented on the market in a fairly wide price range. However, in order to save money, you should not buy a completely unknown brand, in case of breakdown you will not receive warranty repairs and there may be problems with spare parts.
What you can not pay attention to
When choosing a trimmer, an anti-vibration system will be an insignificant factor. An electric motor does not create such a strong vibration as an internal combustion engine.
Also, rarely does anyone use the ability to adjust the height of the grass mowing, so it’s impractical to overpay for this function. Trimmers with batteries are still quite expensive and at the same time do not provide long battery life. The weight of the structure is increased due to the battery.
Advantages and disadvantages of the trimmer
The electric trimmer has a number of advantages in comparison with its gasoline counterpart:
- Less weight;
- Low price;
- Lack of harmful exhausts;
- Low level of vibration and noise;
- Simplicity and low cost of maintenance.
However, there are a number of drawbacks that also need to be noted:
- Small radius of action, limited by the length of the extension cord and the availability of the outlet;