Which grass trimmer fishing line is the strongest
Top 15 best lines for grass trimmer: rating 2021 and which one to choose with a thickness of 3 mm
Today’s rating of lines for grass trimmer on our portal Tekhnik.top. the best way to quickly find the right model.
For quick navigation, we have divided the rating into categories:
- The best lines for grass trimmer by price/quality for 2021.
- The best lines for grass trimmer 2mm.
- Best lines for grass trimmer 2.4 mm.
- Best grass trimmer lines for 3mm.
- The best lines with core for grass trimmer.
Any grass trimmer requires a quality trimmer line that will cut the grass effectively while still offering economical flow and good elasticity to ensure minimal rips.
We have made a rating of the best lines for trimmers in 2021, where we tried to take into account the selection criteria, high scores of buyers, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each variety.
Top 15 best lines for grass trimmer in 2021
|Best grass trimmer lines by price/quality for 2021|
|1||Bosch F016800431 3.5 mm||Check price|
|2||DDE Classic line 2 mm 63 m||Learn the price|
|3||Husqvarna T25 M10 (5784461-01)||Check price|
|Best lines for grass trimmer 2mm|
|1||DDE Hard line circle 2 mm 15 m||Learn the price|
|2||ELITECH 0809.002100 2mm 15m||Check price|
|3||Husqvarna Whisper Twist 2 mm 112 m||Ask the price|
|The best lines for grass trimmer 2.4 mm|
|1||DDE Speed line 2.4 mm 116 m||See price|
|2||Huter S24 star 2.4mm 12m||Check out the price|
|3||DDE Classic line 2.4mm 44m||Check price|
|The best lines for grass trimmer 3 mm|
|1||ELITECH 0809.006200 3mm 12m||Check out the price|
|2||Huter S30 star 3 mm 12 m||Find out the price|
|3||DDE Hard line 3 mm 120 m||Check out the price|
|The best lines with core for grass trimmer|
|1||DDE Hard line 2.4 mm 180 m||Check price|
|2||ELITECH 0809.006000 2 mm 15 m||Check price|
|3||Sturm! GT3535-3.0-0M-10 3 mm 10 m||Find out the price|
The question of how to choose a line for a trimmer for grass is very relevant, because neither in the passport of the tool, nor on the packaging of the line there are no detailed characteristics except size and type of section. First of all, you should determine the permissible diameter of the string. this information can be found in the user manual to the trimmer. Also, the user can take a sample of fishing line from the set (almost always on the bobbin of a new tool there is a small section) and measure it with a caliper or a simple ruler.
In the absence of both the first and the second, the appropriate dimensions can be determined by the tool itself.
- Electric grass trimmer up to 500 W. 1-1,6 mm. Used for cutting lawn grass.
- Electric grass trimmer from 500 W to 1 kW. 2-2,4 mm. Can handle fine, thin grass and overgrown weeds of medium diameter.
- Gasoline grass trimmers and brushcutters. 2,4-3,2 mm. Thick trimmer line easily cuts dry stems, weeds, thick and dense thickets.
The line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer thicker than 3.2 mm in diameter is rarely used, only on some types of powerful petrol saws.
Conclusion: The more powerful the technique, the thicker the tool. If in doubt, you can buy the equipment of a smaller diameter. If you use a line for the grass trimmer with a diameter larger than the set, it will regularly wind up on the spool, worse to “go”. Also, using too thick a string can put excessive load on the engine, which leads to rapid overheating.
The standard package holds 15m of fishing line, but few bobbins are designed for this, usually 7-7.5m, i.e. half. There is another type of packaging. “coil” or “spool,” here the string length varies on average from 250 to 515 m.
You should also pay attention to the date of production. A line for a trimmer should not be very old: over time, nylon shrivels and becomes very brittle. In this case it is possible to soak line in water for some hours, but it is not possible to restore full elasticity of the line.
Technical properties of the cord and the choice of diameter by power trimmer for grass
If you take a fishing line package in your hands, then it indicates only two main parameters. the total length and the cross-section. Instruction on how to choose a line for a grass trimmer trimmer is not provided, so you have to find out from the experts. To find a good specialist is not easy, especially since every year not only new lines are produced, but also spools.
The first thing to decide is the diameter, thickness or cross section of the cord. This is all one parameter that characterizes the work of trimmers, gasoline mowers, brushcutters and lawnmowers. What cross-section to buy fishing line for your grass trimmer? In order not to make a mistake, you should take a section of old cord with you and give it to the salesman. Based on the section you provide, the salesman will give you a cord with a similar cross-section.
This option is certainly reliable, but you can not call it right. Why? After all, the choice of fishing line depends not only on the head used, but also on the power of the tool used. To begin with, it is recommended to decide what diameter of fishing line for trimmers can be used on trimmers and gasoline mowers, depending on their power parameters:
- Electric grass trimmers with a power rating up to 500 watts. cords up to 1.6 mm in diameter are used.Such tools are designed for mowing young grass on household territories
- Units of gasoline and electric type with power indicators from 500 to 1000 watts. imply the use of cord with a thickness of 2 to 2.4 mm.These power units with consumables are used for mowing thin and dense grass, as well as for cutting weeds. Grass trimmers up to 1 kW can be fitted with a trimmer line of 1-1.6 mm in diameter, but it will wear out quickly
- Grass trimmers and lawnmowers with power ratings above 1 kW. allow for cord thickness of 2.4 to 3.3 mm.This line can cut thick and dried out stems, as well as dense thickets. If consumables thicker than 3 mm can not cope with the task of cutting the grass, then metal discs with blades, teeth and knives are used
This is interesting!Manufacturers produce trimmer line for trimmer with a diameter of more than 3.3 mm, but it is used very rarely, and only on powerful gasoline units.
What coil size to buy?
Trimmer lines are available in coils from 15 to 450 m long. How long should I choose?? There are several factors to consider:
- Frequency of mowing. If you visit your dacha site twice a year (fall and spring), then you need only one bay, and the smallest one. For regular mowing (once every two weeks) of a 10-acre plot for seven months (April-October), you need from 20 m of cord. If the consumable is needed for a utility company or for “work on the job”, then you need a large bay of 50 m or more.
- Plot size. Small areas in front of the house can be mowed and one spool at a time (up to 5 acres), but for larger areas need more consumables. By the way, one reel can hold approx. 4 to 6 m of fishing line.
- The thickness of the grass and the “cleanliness” of the area. If the site has many rocks and structures that need to be trimmed around the perimeter, the cord can come apart very quickly. The same will be with a thin string if you use it for thick weeds.
If you decide to buy a string you’ve never used, get a cut-off or small coil. For example, if you want to try Bosch cords, you can buy a cut Bosch 016800174. there are 10 pieces of 23 cm each.
If you can, get a brand-name attachment for your grass trimmer, such as Husqvarna, Bosch, Oregon or DeWALT. If you want to save money, then Denzel, Huter, Elitech or Skrab are good and relatively inexpensive.
What’s the best material?
Another important indicator by which you can judge the durability and quality of the line is the material used in the manufacture.
In most cases, a good line for your trimmer is made of nylon, polyamide or polypropylene. It is inexpensive, lightweight and hardwearing. Unfortunately, many manufacturers manage to cheat here, adding polypropylene in nylon. Of course, they officially declare that this is done solely to reduce the cost of consumables. In fact, the price is reduced very slightly, but the service life is quite noticeable. such a line for a trimmer wears out much faster, and overheating during prolonged work can ruin it in the shortest time possible. So if you can, a nylon fishing line for your trimmer is the best choice. Its price is quite affordable, and its service life is much longer than that of cheap analogues.
Never use wire or metal rope instead of fishing line. High rotation speed in combination with metal hardness can lead to the fact that they will cut through protective equipment and even shoes, causing serious injury to the user.
But this is not the end of the choice. Two-component trimmer line is also available for sale. Most often it applies to materials with an increased cross section. from three millimeters and more. A regular nylon trimmer line has a steel or graphite rod inserted in it. Work with such a trimmer should be especially careful, but the aerodynamic properties of the line are dramatically increased. now the thickest and hardest stems and even thin branches will be cut lightning fast.
In addition, on sale you can see a special reinforced line for trimmers, in which grains of steel are distributed throughout the volume of nylon. The main advantage of this material is its very high abrasion resistance and durability. It is much more expensive to buy than the usual nylon, or, even more so, its polyethylene counterpart. But the service life is also much longer. Therefore, you won’t regret wasted money. one skein will suffice for several years of work on the garden plot.
What line to choose for a trimmer for a particular job
Quite often users have a question. what kind of line for a trimmer is best for this or that job. Here it all depends on the complexity of the job.
For convenience, it is worth dividing all types of work into several groups:
- simple. to maintain the lawn in good condition;
- medium. periodic. at least once a month. cleaning of the entire territory;
- difficult. removal of shrubs, weeds, dead wood, perennial overgrowth.
Depending on the complexity, you should choose a suitable line for the trimmer. For example, if you only need to trim lush, young, and tender greenery in your lawn, you can choose a round nylon trimmer line. If price is your first consideration, you can buy the material with a smooth cross-section. If you do not want to listen to the constant loud hum, it makes sense to overpay a little and buy a higher-quality line for the trimmer with a twisted section. Yes, it’s more expensive and it uses up more quickly. But the noise level is noticeably lower. True, if you work with a gasoline trimmer, then there will be no special difference. all the same, the noise of the engine will block the whistling of the fishing line.
For works of medium complexity, it is better to choose a nylon line for a trimmer with a square cross section or “star”. Of course, they are more expensive than round shrubs. But the efficiency of the work is much higher. You do not have to spend a lot of time to get the site in order. And you could have done a lot more good with the time you waste.
Finally, if the most difficult work is to be done, you should not save. it is better to buy reinforced or two-component thread of section “star” or “square. Of course, they are the most expensive. But any dead wood and even small bushes will be cut instantly. This saves not only your time but also your consumables. a thin polyethylene line for a trimmer is likely to simply tear while working, failing to cope with it.
So, in order not to make a mistake, making a choice of line for grass trimmer, you need to know exactly what work it will be used for.
fishing line for trimmer of large and small cross-section and when to use steel discs
If the line for the trimmer will not match the power of the power unit, it is fraught with the development of the following consequences:
- If you use a thin cord on a powerful gasoline trimmer, the material will wear out quickly, reducing the performance and efficiency of the tool
- If you put on a low-power electric grass trimmer fishing line for the trimmer with a section of 2.6-3 mm. the performance will decrease, there will be a constant winding of the cord on the spool, and the load on the motor will increase, which will cause its accelerated wear
A fishing line made of nylon is used. It provides high reliability and also has good cutting properties. Why use fishing line on your trimmer when you have metal discs?? This question is asked by many masters.
- Cord or line for the trimmer on the tool is used when mowing vegetation in areas where there are various obstacles. rocks, poles, benches, trees, etc.п. Flexible tooling only wears out faster when it encounters these obstacles, but it doesn’t overload the tool’s motor
- Metal discs. their purpose is to handle a variety of difficulties in the field. They are effective for thick and thick-stemmed vegetation. When encountering obstacles, the teeth are quickly dulled and the power unit is overloaded
Knowing the difference between steel discs and cord, it’s not hard to decide which is best to buy. The line for the trimmer is sold in stores in coils with a meter of 15 meters. On the trimmer spool can be wound from 4-5 meters of fishing line, which depends on its diameter. To save money, you can buy lines for grass trimmers in coils, where they are 250 meters or more.
This is interesting!Choosing a cord on a lawnmower, you need to check the date of manufacture. This is done to avoid the possibility of buying an obsolete material. After all, nylon tends to shrivel up and lose its original parameters. If the line for the trimmer has been stored for a long time, you should not dispose of it, and soaking in water or grease will help to return the previous technical properties.
Installation of plastic ties: pros and cons
If the line for the trimmer suddenly runs out during work, and there is still a lot of work to be done, you do not have to look for a new one. Plastic clamps can temporarily take over this function. They are quite stiff and can cope with almost any grass.
The disadvantage is the rapid wear and tear. The effectiveness of plastic clamps, in such a non-standard application, is also low. Nevertheless, this alternative can always be used.
Installation of plastic ties: pros and cons
If the line for the trimmer suddenly runs out during work, and there is still a lot of work, it is not necessary to look for a new. Plastic clamps can temporarily perform its function. They are quite stiff and can cope with almost any grass.
The disadvantage is the rapid wear and tear. The effectiveness of plastic clamps, in such a non-standard application, is also low. Nevertheless, this alternative can always be used.
Varieties of fishing line in shape. what it affects and why they are different
Initially, the line for the trimmer was only available in a round shape, but soon other modifications began to appear. square, hexagonal, star-shaped and others. They also differ in color, but the color does not affect anything, except the visibility of the cutting equipment during work.
The shape of the string affects the type of grass to be mowed. There are cordons by shape:
- Round is a common shape, which is still considered universal. Round string is divided into smooth and coiled. While smooth lines are noisier, twisted lines are quieter but use less string
- Square and hexagonal. the presence of sharp corners provides a more efficient cutting of vegetation, which must be considered when working large areas
- Ribbed and star-shaped stringlines are even more efficient at cutting various types of stalks and reduce the load on the engine
Some craftsmen, when using up the fishing line, replace it with a steel wire or metal string, which is unacceptable. The wire is not only capable of cutting through the thick shoes of the mower, but it can also wind itself on the head, which will lead to its jamming together with the shaft. A jammed head will cause wear on the transmission and power train.
Section shape Purpose Advantages Disadvantages Round For young and green grass only Cheap, resistant to heavy loads, smooth cutting and low consumption Noisy operation, not suitable for dry and thick-stemmed grass Square High green and dried grass Uniform cutting of grass, no crushing of stems High consumption, fast wear and tear, brittleness and can only be used on powerful trimmers Star Dry grass and bushes A quality and effective cut due to the large number of angled edges Expensive, can be used on appropriate heads Twisted round Any grass from green, young to dried out Efficient cutting of stems, high working speed and productivity, silent Wears out quickly, cannot easily be uncoiled during operation
The main mistakes when choosing a fishing line
The main mistake buyers of trimmer lines make is destroying the package. It indicates the information on what tool is used with this thread. Problems may arise in this regard:
- The choice of line that does not match the power of the grass trimmer engine. Improperly shaped cord leads to cord wear or overloading of the machine.
- Wrong diameter. The opening in the trimmer through which the string passes is of varying width. So if you buy the wrong trimmer line, you simply won’t be able to tuck it into the device.
- Inaccurate selection of the cross sectional shape. Different operating conditions require different line parameters. If their shape does not meet the requirements, the quality of cutting will decrease and its life will be reduced.
Do not use twisted, polygonal or shape-shaped grass trimmer string for uncultivated soft lawns. Such lines are easy to cut, but the cost is not justified in this case, because there is a round cord that costs less and mows fresh grass perfectly.
Oregon grass trimmer fishing line
For the effective operation of lawnmowers, you need to pay off quality strings of proven brands. There are quite a few manufacturers, whose lines are popular due to their many advantages:
- “Oregon”. global manufacturer of various accessories for garden equipment. Lines are produced for both domestic and professional use. A wide range of high quality lines for lawn trimmers.
- “Husqvarna is a well-known brand of gardening equipment with a lot of experience, which produces all kinds of threads for lawn mowers.The threads have a special classification by color, depending on the diameter. Also, the manufacturer has patented sewn-thread treatment, which makes the threads stronger and more elastic.
- “Champion is a relatively young manufacturer, which has established itself on the market with high quality gardening equipment. Produces grass trimmer lines of all kinds with high wear resistance and durability. There are yellow and red series of threads with different cross-sectional shapes.
- “Dolmar” is a popular manufacturer that has been producing various garden products for more than half a century. Grass trimmer filaments are highly technical. You can buy lines of this company as for work on well-groomed lawns, and for cutting neglected grass.
Champion line for grass trimmer
A good line for grass trimmer allows to cut not only soft grass, but also hard and dry grass without much effort.
trimmer line is made of nylon. polyamide, or polypropylene. Cheap products may have polyethylene added. It significantly reduces resistance to temperature and wear.
Polypropylene grass trimmer fishing line for grass trimmer, the coil of which is stored for a long time, can become brittle. It is recommended to soak it in water for 30 minutes before use.
In strings with a larger diameter. 4 mm, aluminum particles are added to increase strength.
Do not use cord or wire in cord reels: pieces of wire that break off at such high speeds can easily pierce leather shoes.
Cord reels: features
Trimmer head, in fact, and is a special spool of line for grass trimmer. Inside, on the bobbin, the cord is wound, usually up to 15 m. Pulls the filament to the right length if it breaks or wears out. When the string runs out, a new thread is inserted into the bobbin.
According to the type of filament feed, reels are divided into:
- manual. to lengthen the string, the device is turned off, and the line for the trimmer is pulled out manually;
- semi-automatic. activated by a favorite folk trick: you need to bang the mowing head on the ground. The bobbin winder releases and the cord is automatically lengthened;
- automatic. here you need to reduce the RPM and then increase it again to the maximum: the spool will feed the thread when the RPM increases.
The grass trimmer’s filament drum is also refilled differently. In the fast-charging for filling there is no need to disassemble the spool, in conventional. you need to remove it and screw on the cord by hand. The video shows different ways to replace the string.
There are many kinds of lines, you can ignore color. as such, there are no general standards “color-characteristic”. An important factor becomes the type of cross-section of the string, it is chosen depending on the type of grass.
- Circle. the universal line for trimmer. A smooth line is characterized by a higher noise level while mowing; a twisted line, on the contrary, mows more quietly but is consumed faster (as well as any type of twisted line).
- Square or polygon. This line for the trimmer is more effective than a round line. the sharp corners cut the stems faster and better.
- Sprocket, ribbed or twisted square. Maximum efficiency and mowing speed.
Important to know! It is strictly forbidden to use metal wire, ropes or rods instead of a fishing line. Such equipment easily cuts even leather shoes and can seriously injure the operator.
Thus, it is possible to summarize all of the above and note such important factors on the choice of lines for grass trimmer.
- When buying a line for your trimmer, carefully examine its thickness, composition, and cross-sectional shape. Buy exactly the model you need for your device.
- Look for the best brands. By getting a cheap product, you run the risk of buying low-quality products.
- Take good care of your fishing line, wipe it down after use, clean it from sap, grass and dirt, and it will last as long as possible.
A clean and well-groomed lawn testifies to the diligence of the owner. Therefore, by following all the tips outlined above, you will be able to buy exactly the line for the trimmer, which will last you a long time and will be reliable and of high quality.
Basic parameters of trimmer line
Manufacturers most often indicate the diameter of the line, and this is partly correct. the mowing head has holes with metal inserts of a certain inner diameter, in which, you can not insert a line for trimmer with a larger diameter.
Thus, one of the parameters of the line is:
Thickness of the thread.During the operation of trimmer there are different situations. you just need to mow the fresh grass in the lawn, or remove high weeds along the fence or, for example, to prepare the site for the winter, and this is necessary not only to cut dry thick stems, but also to remove the growth of small bushes.
To do this, in addition to the thickness of the thread, you need to consider the shape of the line, which determines the cutting properties, respectively the second important parameter of the choice of thread: