Which Grease Is Better For Trimmer
Buying any kind of equipment is a kind of lottery, but a lot also depends on the gardener. In caring hands, and Chinese samples serve for a long time and do not fail their masters at the wrong time. And if you forget on time grease gear lawn mowers, do not clean filters, use cheap low-quality gasoline, then garden equipment from the most famous brands will become a headache.
Gear Lubrication lawn mowers one of the most important elements of maintenance of a gas trimmer, which should be carried out directly by the user.
Time and procedure for the prevention of the gearbox.
I recommend that you necessarily carry out the prophylaxis of a new gas trimmer immediately after purchase, with the addition of lubricant to the gearbox. Despite the high cost of gardening equipment, some manufacturers save and put grease only at a minimum, at the time of break-in.
How often to lubricate the lawn mowing gear.
Often, a routine inspection of the transmission with the addition of liquid grease is carried out once a year at the beginning or end of the season. If the gas trimmer is not used by you in professional volumes, this is enough.
For large mowing volumes, it is necessary to lubricate the lawn mowing gearbox every 20-50 hours of operation. If the operating conditions of the garden equipment are difficult, for example, a large field is mowed at a time, and the lawn mower does not have time to cool down, or cheap lubricants are used, then the grease must be checked and added every 20 hours of operation.
Indirect evidence that it is necessary to lubricate the gearbox may be overheating or increased unit noise. In these cases, if during inspection it is found that there is enough lubricant in the assembly by volume, then I recommend that it be replaced as a whole, while it is advisable to choose a different manufacturer of auto chemical goods. Also, a complete replacement of the lubricant, with disassembly and washing of the unit, I recommend when buying a used gasoline trimmer.
Grease for gas trimmer gearbox.
Assortment of lubricants for gardening equipment
According to the instructions, a special transmission fluid grease should be used to lubricate the bevel gear. As a rule, gardening equipment manufacturers produce and recommend the chemistry of their brand as the most adapted to their devices.
At the same time, in order to reduce the cost of operating garden equipment and increase the attractiveness of the auto chemical brand, grease for garden equipment is usually produced multifunctional. It is intended not only for the lubrication of gearboxes of gasoline trimmers, but also for the processing of hoses, gears and gearboxes of any garden equipment and mechanical devices operating under high loads.
Even if the specialized lubricant for the gearbox was almost completely developed during operation, the additives still create an effective lubricating protective film on the surface of the gears.
It should be noted that many owners of lawn mowers in the former CIS expanses use conventional Litol-24 or lithium-based grease for lubricating the gearbox. It is convenient to refuel the gearbox with a 5-cc medical syringe. Many motorists, instead of the side screw, pick up the threads and screw the grease fitting from the cars that have served their crosspieces. This refinement allows the addition of Litol without disassembling the assembly using a grease gun.
An undoubted advantage of using Litol and lithium-based grease for refueling lawn mowing gears is the reduction in cost of operation. But there are nuances due to which spears break on forums of gardeners of Internet space. My thoughts on what can be lubricated with lithium-based lubricants and what is not, read the article “ Litol as a grease for lawn mowing gear “.
How to lubricate the lawn mowing gear reducer, gas trimmer.
17 side bolt on gas trimmer gearbox
For safety reasons, in order to avoid accidental start-up, all preventive work on the lawn mower must be carried out with the electric cap / plug removed from the candle. Do not turn the trimmer over to avoid gas leaking.
We unscrew the side screw on the lawn mowing gear. Depending on the manufacturer of the garden tool, a turn-key bolt may be used instead of a hexagon screw, usually by 17. The thread is normal, turn off counterclockwise. Do not lose the sealing washer.
Add specialized grease
If no grease is visible on the inside of the screw, add 3-4 grams. Turn the gear by hand, changing the direction of rotation so that the grease is distributed over the gears. Repeat the operation several times. On average, about 5 to 10 g is included in the gearbox. The assembly must be completely filled with grease, taking into account the installation of the screw. Then reinstall the screw by tightening it firmly.
As you can see, it will not take a lot of time or special skills to lubricate the gearbox on the lawn mower. Usually, we’re going to take longer than we do the entire amount of preventive work. Reliable to you garden equipment. Share your experience with petrol trimmers in the comments.
Sometimes, in the midst of intense grass mowing operations, your trimmer begins to make unpleasant, grinding sounds. This complains about the lack of lubrication of the gearbox. The most intensively loaded unit of the device. And soon, these “warnings” may be followed by jamming of the drive
What grease should be used for the trimmer gearbox?
In the process, the mechanical part of the trimmer is loaded with contact forces on the teeth, resistance reactions from adhering grass (sometimes with dirt), dynamic, impact loads due to constantly changing torque. The grease for the trimmer gear must fully take into account these features, so the selection of the brand must be strictly individual.
The following factors are taken into account:
- Brand of the manufacturer. Each brand is not unreasonably oriented on lubricants of its own manufacture (you can talk about cheap Chinese products later). This applies to manufacturers such as Husqvarna, Stihl, Huter, Makita, etc. The exception is domestic trimmers: for example, Caliber in the user manual does not indicate the brand of lubricant at all
- The viscosity of the lubricant. As you know, all lubricating compounds are divided into three groups. Highly viscous (colloidal systems containing various additives), plastic compounds of universal use and solid lubricants that soften during operation.
- Good adhesion to the surface of the gearbox parts, as a result of which the grease is not squeezed out into the gaps or out of the assembly.
- Gearbox lubricant consumption rate. Here you have to rely on your own experience and the recommendations of specialists, since some trimmer manufacturers, relying on the availability of their own service centers, generally do not give clear recommendations regarding the period of operation of the gearbox between two lubrications.
The lubricant consumption also depends on the temperature at which it retains its lubricity. When the gearbox is heated to 40 ° C, it is considered that its operating conditions are satisfactory, and there is enough lubrication.
It is believed that there is no universal lubricant for the trimmer gear, but this is not entirely true. In fact, a suitable lubricant will be one in which the following components are present:
- Anti-wear additives containing no toxic lead;
- Solid lubricants with the presence of graphite or molybdenum disulfide (the latter is preferable, since the lubricity is fully preserved for a wide range of shaft revolutions);
- Only mineral (inorganic!) Oils with a high degree of purification.
These requirements are fully met by Gear Grease OREGON or Champion EP-0 lithium greases, domestic compositions Oleo-Mas, Litol.24, or Azmol 158, as well as those recommended by the manufacturer of a particular trimmer model.
How to lubricate the trimmer gear?
In the upper part of the housing, where the gear block is installed, there is a technological hole, which, when the trimmer is operated, is plugged with a screw. This screw is unscrewed, and 1.5 2 ml of grease is introduced into the hole using the nozzle on the tube. If the lubricant was purchased in a different packaging, then for this operation, a regular disposable medical syringe is also suitable.
After that, the screw is installed in its original place. This procedure, regardless of the user’s recommendations, should be performed every 10 15 hours of operation of the trimmer in operating mode. Other reasons for updating or replacing the gearbox lubricant are independent minor maintenance work (for example, cleaning and washing the gearbox gear before the summer season), repair of the unit, preservation of the trimmer for the winter period, etc.
If the gear unit is disassembled, it is recommended to completely remove the remains of the previous grease from the surface of the parts, even if it does not have any signs of oxidation and contamination. And only then apply new grease. After applying the lubricant, it is recommended to turn the shaft manually several times, and make sure that the lubricant is evenly distributed over all parts of the gearbox.
When lubricating, special attention is paid to the following elements:
- Flywheel: on its surface, as a rule, the remnants of grass adhere intensively, and thickened grass juice creates additional resistance.
- The starter coil dog, which is constantly in contact with the grooves on the flywheel when the drive is turned on. In this case, not only mechanical wear occurs, but also mechanochemical corrosion of the flywheel-dog joint, since the materials for this pair are different (the flywheel is aluminum and the dog is steel).
- Bearings, if their seals are worn, and through them the grease is squeezed out. In this case, the unit begins to vibrate intensively when loaded. This happens with Chinese-made trimmers, so it’s worthwhile in the future to think about replacing the bearing assembly with a better one, for example, from the Swedish company SKF.