Which Oil Is Best For A Lawn Mower
Which is better to choose?
Choosing the right mower oil is based on a large number of factors that must be followed. It doesn’t matter if you choose a lubricant for a gasoline or a self-propelled lawn mower, you cannot use the first oil that comes along. It is also forbidden to choose the most expensive oil or the most popular. The lubricating fluid must be fully adapted to the requirements of your lawn mower.
- In terms of viscosity, the oil is selected in accordance with the temperature conditions that are typical for the operation of garden equipment. For summer, when the ambient temperature reaches 30 degrees, it is advisable to use oil from the SAE-30 series. For the off-season it is recommended to use 10W-30 series oil. Synthetic 5W-30 fluid works well at low temperatures.
- For 2-stroke engines, it is necessary to use a mixture of oil and high-octane gasoline in the ratio recommended by the equipment manufacturer. Usually the ratio is 1/25. According to these figures, 25 ml of gasoline is added for every milliliter of oil. There are exceptions, so you need to study the instructions for the lawn mower.
- In the case of four-stroke type motors, fluid mixing is not required. A simple automotive fluid is optimal for such mechanisms. It can be SAE30, 10W40 or SF. The main thing is that the technical and operational properties match the list recommended by the manufacturer. For winter use, a liquid must be chosen with frost-resistant properties.
You cannot experiment and use oil that is not suitable for the existing motor. There is a huge difference between the fluids that are used for different types of motors. For example, a fluid for four-stroke type motors must keep its composition unchanged for a long time. Oil for two-stroke engines should have a minimum amount of mineral components to prevent carbon deposits.
How to choose your lawn mower oil?
Rarely does a private home owner do without a lawn mower. You may not even have a lawn that needs regular maintenance, but use a lawn mower. This technique, like any other, needs periodic maintenance, such as an oil change. Each lawn mower owner needs to know which liquid can be used for these purposes, how to choose it correctly and fill it into the unit.
Lawn mower lubricant should be carefully selected and high quality oils should be preferred. If you save on this consumable liquid, then it will not perform its functions to the full, the lawn mower will fail in a short time and will require expensive repairs. The oil used in a lawn mower has an important task. It has the following functions:
- Lubrication of parts that experience high friction during operation;
- Removal of thermal energy from heated parts;
- Reduced engine wear;
- Minimizing the development of such negative phenomena as deposits of various types, the formation of soot and varnish;
- Protection of parts from the formation and effects of corrosion;
- Decrease in the toxicity indicator of exhaust gaseous substances;
- Smoke minimization.
The engine of a lawn mower is significantly different from that which is installed in cars and motor vehicles. Therefore, the lubricants for these units must be used differently. You cannot replace one oil with another. The consequences for technology can be the most unpredictable.
In a lawn mower engine, the crankshaft is responsible for distributing the oil. The liquid is scooped out of the crankcase by parts that are shaped like spoons. The speed of their movement is colossal. Such design features of the motor require the use of oil, which contains high quality additives. These components reduce the ability of the working fluid to foam and become more viscous from high temperatures.
When choosing an oil, great attention should be paid to its manufacturer. It is better to choose the brand recommended by the lawn mower manufacturer. In the instructions for the technique, you can find information about the filled oil, the frequency of its replacement and recommendations regarding the choice of working fluid.
Also, many lawn mower manufacturers release their own oils, which will have to be used for replacement if you want to maintain the warranty on the equipment. In addition, the instructions provide general characteristics that the oil must meet. When choosing a replacement fluid, you need to focus on this list. This will allow you to choose the oil that will most closely meet the manufacturer’s requirements.
- Shell Helix Ultra is the best among all companies that present their products on the Russian market. These oils are popular in all countries. Shell specialists have been working for 40 years to develop a unique technology for producing synthetic oil from natural gas. The resulting product is characterized by an improved composition, which has no analogues at this time. The manufacturer adds the necessary additives to the base composition, which makes it possible to obtain products with different characteristics. Such oil must be bought only at specialized points of sale, since low-grade counterfeits are often found.
- Liqui Moly also presents quality products. The manufacturer produces several product lines that have different purposes. This range includes products for the maintenance of garden equipment. Such oils are designed for long-term operation of trimmers and lawn mowers, their technical characteristics are developed in accordance with the peculiarities of modern technology and manufacturer’s recommendations.
Liqui Moly adds additive packages to lawn mower oils that are necessary to reduce equipment wear and keep the engine clean. The main advantage of such fluids is environmental friendliness, because they are created on a plant basis. Liqui Moly lawn mower oils meet all environmental standards.
Rasenmaher produces a good mineral type lubricant specially developed for gardening machines. This tool can be used to service 4-stroke engines with different cooling systems. The substance from Rasenmaher can only be used at freezing temperatures. The manufacturer carefully developed and selected additives for its product. The result of such actions was a wide list of functionality:
- Maintaining the pressure in the system at a stable level;
- Effective lubrication of all parts that need it;
- Retention of the viscosity of the grease throughout its entire service life, until the next change;
- Providing excellent protection for the motor from natural wear and tear;
- Minimum evaporation rate.
To choose the right gardening fluid and always know what to buy, you need to study the existing varieties of oils. First of all, technical oil fluids are separated by chemical composition.
- Mineral oils are created from the base obtained from refined petroleum products. These fluids are viscous and must be changed frequently. They are designed for low power motors. Most recommended for summer use.
- Synthetic fluids are based on special synthetic substances, which include esters. The viscosity is low, long service life and year-round use. no other type of lubricant can boast such high characteristics. These fluids are ideal for demanding applications in harsh environments.
- Semi-synthetic motor oil is created from mineral and synthetic substances. These oils are the middle choice between the two previous fluids. Semi-synthetic oils are ideal for gardening and park equipment, two- and four-stroke engines.
There are several more classifications, which are based on different requirements. The most common API classification. It is supported by various countries and many manufacturers. According to this classification, all engine oils are divided into the following types:
- TA is the best option for household appliances with a motor up to 50cc. Cm;
- TB is intended for equipment with a higher power, equipped with a motor of more than 50, but less than 200 cc. Cm;
- TC is an oil that is intended for motors with increased requirements for the quality of the lubricating fluid; such oil can be safely poured into lawn mowers;
- TD is designed for outboard motors that are liquid cooled.
Due to the 20% solvent composition, the oil of the two-contact type is capable of mixing well with automotive fuel. In addition, such liquids are capable of completely burning. Lubricants can be painted in various colors. Coloring does not indicate the quality of the oil. Its function is different. it makes it easier for the user to distinguish between lubricant and fuel.
It is important not only to choose a high-quality oil that will suit your technique in terms of its characteristics. You also need to know how to properly pour it into the lawn mower. The rules are simple, but must be followed:
- We turn on the unit and warm up the engine idle for a quarter of an hour;
- We remove the plug from the tank and substitute a container of the required volume to collect the waste liquid;
- We tilt the lawn mower and drain the waste material;
- We tighten the plug, put the unit on the most even surface. After that, you can open the hole from above;
- We fill in a new working fluid, observing the recommendations of the manufacturer of the equipment regarding the volume, check the fluid level conveniently with a dipstick;
- When the amount of liquid has reached the required volume, you can tighten the plug.
In most cases, about 500 ml of fresh oil should be used to replace the used fluid. This norm corresponds to most of the units that are common in Russia. There are, of course, exceptions, so you need to study the instructions before replacing the spent fluid.
If your lawnmower is equipped with a two-stroke engine, and this indicates the need to mix the lubricant with gasoline, then this should be done immediately before replacing. It is impossible to make such a composition with a margin, since due to a chemical reaction, the mixture loses its properties. The approximate shelf life is no more than a month. Only components will be damaged from such actions.
For how to change the oil in your lawn mower, see the following.
What how much engine oil does my engine need?
Before you can change the oil in your small engine Briggs Stratton lawn mowers, it is important to understand what type and how much oil is required. Below we provide an answer to this frequently asked question and explain the two most important steps for determining the type and amount of oil for your lawn mower engine.
How to determine the type of oil for a lawn mower or small engine
We recommend using certified Briggs oils Stratton for best engine performance. Other high quality detergent oils can be used if they are SF, SG, SH, SJ or higher. Do not use special additives.
The ambient temperature determines the appropriate viscosity of the engine oil. Use the table to select the best viscosity for your intended ambient temperature range. 5W30 synthetic oil is well suited for most engines in outdoor power equipment. Vanguard 15W50 synthetic oil provides the most effective protection for equipment operating at high temperatures.
Using SAE 30 oil at temperatures below 40 ° F (4 ° C) will result in difficult engine starting.
Using 10W30 above 80 ° F (27 ° C) may result in higher oil consumption. Check the oil level often.
The Society of Automotive Engineers has developed a classification for engine oils that indicates the viscosity (density) and temperature at which the engine oil can be used. It is called SAE and is printed on every bottle of oil and also indicates whether the oil is synthetic.
Above is a graph showing the SAE oil type and the temperature at which it works best. The easiest way to find the best oil for your lawnmower is to combine information from your product’s operator’s manual with the oil type descriptions below.
Small engine oil recommendations:
- Use SAE 30 at 40 ° F and above (5 ° C and above).
- Use SAE 10W-30 in a temperature range of 0 to 100 ° F (18 to 38 ° C). This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80 ° F (27 ° C) or higher.
- SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil is optimal for very low temperatures from 20 to 120 ° F (30 to 40 ° C). It provides the best protection at all temperatures and also improves starting with less oil consumption.
- Use SAE 5W-30 at very low temperatures of 40 ° F and below (5 ° C and below).
- For continuous use, commercial lawn mowing or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (20 ° F to 130 ° F).
Things to consider when choosing a lawn mower:
- Use a quality detergent oil, classified “For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ” or higher quality.
- Do not use special additives.
- Synthetic oils are suitable for all temperatures. The use of synthetic oils does not change the required oil drain intervals.
Can synthetic lawn mower oil be used? Yes!
We recently changed our recommendation for engine oil so that you can now use 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic oil, regardless of temperature. We recommend using Briggs synthetic oil Stratton. The use of this high quality detergent oil ensures that Briggs meets the warranty requirements Stratton regarding the use of appropriate oil.
The engine break-in procedure with synthetic oil remains unchanged. Keep in mind that the use of synthetic oil does not prevent you from performing regular maintenance on the mower (i.e. checking the oil, changing it, etc.).
Engine oil quantity
The amount of engine oil, as well as its type, depends on the specific engine model. To find out how to check your lawn mower, watch our “Checking the engine oil in a lawn mower engine”
Beyond basic type data oil volume, the best source of information regarding any engine problem is a Briggs dealer Stratton.
Why do you need lubricant?
Gasoline lawn mower engines are internal combustion engines (ICEs), in which the driving force transmitted from the ICE to the working bodies (cutting knives) is generated by the energy generated in the combustion chamber of the cylinder when the fuel mixture is ignited. As a result of the fire, the gases expand, forcing the piston to move, which is associated with the mechanism for further transfer of energy to the final organ, that is, in this case, to the lawn mower knives.
In the engine, therefore, many large and small parts are mated, which need lubrication in order to, if not completely prevent their abrasion, destruction, wear, then at least as much as possible slow down these processes negative for the mechanism.
But over time, this cannot be avoided, since the development of gaps in the mates still occurs. And the better the oil, the longer the service life of the garden equipment will be. In addition, with the help of high-quality lubricants, the following positive phenomena occur:
- Better cooling of the engine and its parts, which prevents overheating and thermal shock;
- Engine operation is guaranteed at high loads and with a long period of continuous grass mowing;
- Provides protection from corrosion of internal engine parts during seasonal downtime.
Features of the four-stroke engine
Lawn mower gasoline engines are divided into two groups: two-stroke and four-stroke. Their difference in the way of filling the oil is as follows:
- Lubricant for two-stroke engines must be pre-mixed with gasoline in a separate container and in a certain ratio, thoroughly mixed, and after all this, it must be poured into the fuel tank of the car;
- Lubricant and gasoline for four-stroke are not pre-mixed. these fluids are poured into separate tanks and work separately, each according to its own system.
Based on this circumstance, the requirement for oil is also special here. It should retain its properties for a long period, when, as for the lubricating composition of a two-stroke engine, the main quality criterion, in addition to the basic properties, is the ability to burn without a trace, without leaving carbon deposits and deposits.
How often do you need to change the lubricant?
As noted above, the operating instructions for garden equipment with a 4-stroke engine must indicate the frequency of oil changes. But if there are no instructions, then they are guided first of all by the number of hours that the technique has worked (engine hours). Every 50-60 worked hours, you need to change the oil in the engine.
However, in the case when the plot is small and you can process it in no more than one hour, it is unlikely that for the entire spring-summer season the lawn mower will work even half the operating hours of the norm, unless it is leased to neighbors. Then the oil must be replaced when the equipment is preserved in the fall before the winter period.
Changing the lubricant in a lawn mower engine is not as difficult as changing the oil in a car. Everything is much simpler here. The work algorithm is as follows.
- Prepare enough fresh oil for replacement. Typically, many lawn mowers are filled with no more than 0.6 liters of oil.
- Start the unit and let it idle for a few minutes to warm up the oil so that it becomes more liquid. This promotes better drainage.
- Switch off the engine and place an empty container under the drain hole from the crankcase to collect the used oil.
- Unscrew the drain plug and let all the oil drain. It is recommended to tilt the device (if possible or appropriate) towards the drain.
- Screw the plug back into place and move the machine to a level surface.
- Open the filler hole on the oil tank and fill it to the required level, which is controlled by a dipstick.
- Tighten the tank cap.
4-Stroke Lawnmower Oils
Lawn mowers have long taken their place among the necessary equipment among the owners of country and private houses, as well as employees of park facilities. In the summer, this technique is used quite intensively. For reliable and durable operation of lawn mower engines, the quality of fuels and lubricants, in particular, oils, is of great importance. Oils for 4-stroke engines of this type of gardening machines are described in this article.
It is best to use a specially designed oil for 4-stroke lawn mower engines in accordance with the ambient temperatures in which the equipment will be used. For example, specialized grease grades 10W40 and SAE30 are quite suitable for four-stroke mowers in terms of their operational parameters, which can be used at ambient temperatures in the range from 5 to 45 degrees Celsius.
In the absence of specialized oils, you can use other classes of oils used for cars. These can be grades SAE 15W40 and SAE 20W50, which are also used at positive temperatures, but only their threshold is 10 degrees lower than specialized ones (up to 35 degrees). And also for 90% of the available models of four-stroke lawn mowers, an oil of SF composition will do.
The container with engine oil for a four-stroke lawn mower must be marked with the “4T” sign. Synthetic, semi-synthetic and mineral oils can be used. But most often they use semi-synthetic or mineral, since synthetic oil is very expensive.
And in order not to guess what oil to fill in the engine of your mower model, it is better to look at the instructions. The required type of oil and the frequency of its replacement are indicated there. It is recommended to use only the types of oils specified by the manufacturer until the expiration of the warranty repair period in order to maintain the issued warranties. And then you can choose something more affordable, but, of course, not inferior in quality to branded oils. You should not save on oil quality.
What oil should not be poured?
Do not fill the four-stroke engine of the lawn mower with grease intended for two-stroke analogs (on the labels of oil containers for such engines, the marking “2T” is put). However, you cannot do this and vice versa. In addition, it is unacceptable to fill in the liquid that was stored in plastic bottles from drinking water.
Briggs oil Stratton SAE-30 0.6l
Briggs oil Stratton SAE-30 0.6L is designed for air-cooled four-stroke engines. Advantages: High quality Convenient packaging.
Lawn Mower Motor Oils
In a private house, you cannot do without lawn care equipment. For owners of summer cottages and land plots, a lawn mower is practically a necessary unit, and, like any other equipment, it needs to be looked after. Modern mowers are built with an internal combustion engine, two-stroke or four-stroke. And internal combustion engines, during operation, need engine oil and periodically require its replacement: it is necessary for the engine to continue to work as it should.
Bio-oil for chain saw chains BIO V100 1.0 l
The high oxidation stability and good lubricating properties make the BIO V100 1.0 l chain saw chain oil the ideal choice for electric and petrol power applications. Biodegradable.
AL-KO 2-stroke brush / chain saw oil 1.0 l
Oil for 2-stroke motor scooters / chainsaws 1.0 l is used in engines of garden equipment, such as trimmers, chainsaws, gas cutters, gas cutters, blowers, etc. The oil is pre-mixed with fuel, h.
Why does a lawnmower need engine oil
Lubricating fluid is needed for the same reason it is used in cars and motorcycles: it reduces the friction of engine parts and makes their movement smoother, that is, prevents rapid wear. Besides this, the oil has other functions:
- Remove heat from the heating engine;
- Protect metal from corrosion and oxidation;
- Dissolve soot and deposits, keep them in suspension and prevent settling.
A high-quality lubricant contains additives that improve its properties and protect the engine. Selecting the right oil is a prerequisite if you want your mower to run for a long time.