Which Oil Is Suitable For A Lawn Mower
A lawn mower is a useful technique for mowing grass if you need constant care of lawns and park areas. With its help, you can give a well-groomed look to the grass cover much faster than with a manual braid. The most common gasoline units. That they served for a long time without repair, they need to carry out regular maintenance. One of the mandatory periodic procedures is the replacement of oil. Depending on the design of the internal combustion engine, it is required to use clean fuel or to make a special mixture. Choosing the right oil and gasoline for the lawn mower is of great importance, since the life of the motor directly depends on the quality of the fuels and lubricants.
The function of the oil in the engine of a lawn mower
Two-stroke and four-stroke internal combustion engines are installed on gas mowers. The movement of the knives is provided by the energy transmitted to them from the internal combustion engine. It occurs due to the expansion of gases generated during the explosion of gasoline or fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. In this case, gas compression is provided by the movement of the piston.
For the system to work well, there must exist between mating parts minimum necessary gaps. If their sizes increase due to wear of the working parts, this leads to a deterioration in the operation of the motor unit, and eventually to the complete impossibility of its launch. The problem is that the required pressure is not reached for igniting the fuel mixture mixed with atmospheric air.
Motor oil covers the engine parts with a thin film, this slows down their wear, and also prevents the appearance of scoring on the metal surface of the mating structural elements. This is the main role of oil in the gasoline drive mechanism of a lawn mower.
In addition to reducing friction between the interacting parts of the internal combustion engine, the use of oil allows you to:
- Provide more quality cooling drive unit during operation, improving heat transfer processes between metal and atmospheric air;
- Perform work by operating the motor at maximum speed, which increases labor efficiency and reduces time costs;
- Protect metal drive gear against corrosion during winter downtime.
Quality oils reduce the negative effects of elevated temperature on engine parts. By removing heat, they increase the operating time of the unit to overheat.
Motor oil is a special material that ensures the trouble-free operation of the engine and other systems in the lawn mower. Neglect of its quality leads to various breakdowns of the unit.
Features of two-stroke and four-stroke engines
By the principle of its action, a two-stroke engine is similar to a 4-stroke engine. The peculiarity is only that the stroke of the two-stroke engine is carried out in 2, and the four-stroke. In 4 cycles. The latter refers to the movement of the piston down or up. In this case, for 1 revolution of the crankshaft, 2 cycles occur. The piston stroke is its movement, during which the energy of the gases formed as a result of the combustion of fuel is converted into the useful work of the motor (its rotation).
Structurally, in terms of performance, the push-pull and four-stroke ICE models differ from each other according to the following criteria.
- 2-stroke engines have higher specific and liter (about 1.5 ÷ 1.8 times) power.
- Lubrication method.
- For four-stroke engines, a large fuel efficiency (its consumption is approximately 20 ÷ 30% less), and also their exhaust contains less toxic substances
- The method of supplying fuel mixed with atmospheric air into the cylinder and exhaust gas. In 4-stroke engines for this purpose is designed gas distribution mechanism: when necessary, he opens the valves and closes them. In 2-stroke models, it is absent.
- Operating noise level: 4-stroke units are quieter.
- The complexity of the device: 2-stroke models are easier.
- The service life of four-stroke engine models is greater due to an improved lubrication system, and also because the crankshaft rotates at a lower frequency.
- The speed of dialing the maximum speed: 2-stroke units accelerate faster.
- In terms of simplicity of periodic maintenance and in terms of repair, it is easier to deal with a 2-stroke engine. Also, such a motor is cheaper and weighs less than a four-stroke analog.
The absence of a gas distribution unit with valves makes two-stroke engines easier and simpler from the point of view of the device. Filling the cylinder with a fuel-air mixture and cleaning it from gas occurs during expansion and contraction through special openings: inlet (purge) and outlet.
Engine differences in lubrication methods
An essential point is the difference in the method of lubricating two-stroke and four-stroke internal combustion engines: for the first, refueling is required not with pure gasoline, but with its mixture in the necessary proportion with oil. It, connecting with air, circulates in the piston assembly, lubricating the walls of the cylinder, bearings of the crankshaft and connecting rod, as well as the pistons themselves. When the fuel mixture ignites, the oil, which is included in its composition with the smallest drops, also burns out. Combustion products exit as exhaust gas. In practice, two-stroke engine lawnmower oil is mixed with gasoline in specific proportions.
When the motor is 4-stroke, oil served separately, without pre-mixing with gasoline. Practically lubrication is realized due to the presence of pipelines, an oil pump, valves, and a filter. The latter is intended to clean the oil from small particles of metal formed during wear of parts.
It turns out that in 2-stroke engines the oil burns out during operation, but not in 4-stroke ones, remaining a long period to circulate in the system. Because of this, the requirements for its performance are different. Two-stroke engine oil should leave after combustion the smallest possible amount of soot, and for four-stroke units, it is necessary that the lubricant used maintain its initial physicochemical parameters for a long time.
Suitable 2-stroke engine oil and gasoline
Two-stroke gasoline engines are designed to operate on a fuel mixture. Oil change in a lawn mower is not carried out separately. It is proportionally mixed with gasoline. At the same time, only correctly prepared fuel composition should be poured into the motor system.
It is impossible to fill the oil with the principle “the higher its price, the better for the mechanism to work”. Suitable for 2-stroke ICE varieties of oil formulations according to the method of their preparation are divided into the following groups:
The lubricating properties of the material depend on the base, its ability to remain in a liquid state with decreasing temperature, without significantly increasing the viscosity. The lubricant composition includes approximately 5-15% of various additives. They are intended to increase the practical effectiveness of the product used. Additives allow:
- Slow down the corrosion of metal surfaces associated with redox reactions;
- Increase the thermal resistance of parts;
- To stabilize the viscosity index of a substance at one level with a change in temperature in a certain range.
The manufacturers of lawn mowers in the instructions indicate the brand of lubricant that is the best option for the unit in operation. If it is problematic to get it, it is possible to change the oil to a similar composition intended for 2-stroke ICEs. Wherein viscosity level must necessarily correspond to the value recommended by the manufacturer of the product.
Gasoline is the main volumetric component of the prepared fuel mixture. Its brand must comply with the recommended in the instructions for use of the mower. From value octane number Gasoline combustion time depends on it: the higher this number, the longer the fuel burns.
Fuel mixture preparation
To obtain a fuel mixture, engine oil is mixed with gasoline in certain proportions. They are given in the instruction manual. So, mineral lubricants are mixed with gasoline in a ratio of 1 to 35, and synthetic. 1 to 50.
The mixture is prepared as follows:
- Pour the exact amount of gasoline into the canister;
- Add, using a dispenser, the required volume of oil;
- Close the container with a lid;
- Mix the composition, shaking the liquid.
The prepared fuel mixture is simply poured inside the gas tank, using a watering can for convenience.
The proportional ratios between oil and gasoline in the composition of the fuel are presented in the table below. It will allow you to quickly determine the volume of mixed materials.
You can store the prepared mixture of gasoline with oil in polypropylene or metal containers no more than two weeks. It is impossible to preserve the composition in plastic bottles. This is due to the fact that gasoline reacts with the packaging material, and the resulting products fall into the working mixture. Because of this, when burning the composition will form more soot.
The fuel mixture may only be refilled if the engine is almost completely cold. At the same time, the tank must not be filled up: a place should be left for thermal expansion of the fuel.
Oil change in 4-stroke engine
In a lawn mower with a four-stroke internal combustion engine, pouring gasoline is required in the tank, and oil in a special hole, which is located in the crankcase. The operating manual for the equipment from the manufacturer contains information on the frequency of lubricant replacement.
It should be borne in mind that the effectiveness of the lubricant after about 50 hours of operation of the unit decreases. If it is necessary to mow small areas, then in one season, so many working hours are unlikely to be typed. In this case, the lubricant should be changed during the preservation of the device for the autumn-winter period of time.
Change engine oil as follows:
- For about 15 minutes, the lawnmower engine is started at idle so that the system warms up, and due to this, the fluidity of the lubricant increases (viscosity decreases);
- Unscrew the drain plug located on the crankcase;
- Tilt the lawn mower towards this drain, substituting the container in advance to collect the used lubricant (as in the photo below);
- After the mining drains, the cork is screwed into place;
- The mower is installed on a flat platform;
- Open the top hole;
- Pour new oil suitable for a 4-stroke engine, periodically checking its level with a dipstick;
- When the grease reaches the desired level, the fill hole is closed by tightly screwing the plug.
For filling into four-stroke ICEs, various types of oil suitable for their operational properties can be used, for example, 10W40, SAE-30. Suitable for most models SF lubricant and higher. Fill for the winter is recommended frost-resistant grease.
Semi-synthetic oil YUKO SEMISYNTHETIC 10W-40
It is not recommended to drain mining directly onto the soil, so as not to contaminate it. You can also use a variety of tools to select a used lubricant. One of the possible options is presented in the photo below.
The process of changing the lubricant in the motor system of a wheeled lawnmower is quite simple. All operations usually take up to 30 minutes.
The best option for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines is the use of gasoline and oil, recommended by manufacturers. Refer to the operating instructions for the mower for instructions on suitable grades. The lubricant must have a viscosity not lower than indicated, otherwise it simply will not be able to perform its functions normally. The gasoline used must not be higher than the brand recommended by the manufacturer because the pistons, valve or rings may burn out. When filling fuel or grease, it is also necessary to observe their volumes given in the instructions. Especially the proportions should be observed when preparing the oil-gasoline mixture yourself.
Everyone knows that the car engine requires special care, which will ensure a long and trouble-free life for the motor. The same rule applies to the gas mower engine: depending on whether you have a trimmer or a large four-wheel mower, you will encounter the problem of choosing an oil. So what are the basic requirements for oil for lawn mower engines?
How to choose a lawn mower oil?
As with any machine, there is a manual for the lawn mower, which not only describes the main characteristics of the tool, but also the rules for caring for it. So, in the instructions it will be written that for lawnmowers it is necessary to use only specialized oil. And some manufacturers even insist on using the same brand of oil as the mower itself.
In fact, this fact turns out to be just a marketing ploy of manufacturers, and both automobile and motorcycle engine oil for four-stroke engines can be suitable for a lawn mower. It is enough to simply observe the basic rules:
1. The oil should be mineral or semi-synthetic. A fully synthetic oil can burn the engine, so it is best not to use it at all. During operation of the lawnmower, a lot of sludge is formed on mineral oil, so we advise you to choose semi-synthetic oil. In addition, mineral oil is difficult to find today.
2. The viscosity of the oil must not exceed SAE 30 or 10w30, and the quality category vary between SE and SJ. A more viscous oil can disrupt the engine, however, it also applies to less viscous oil. All these indicators must be indicated on the package.
3. Choose the oil according to the temperature conditions. If you mow in cold weather, the viscosity of the oil may be higher than the above, but the next time you turn it on you will have to replace the oil with the right one.
In lawn mowers with four-stroke engines, oil is poured into a special crankcase and never mixed with gasoline, since the design of such a gas lawn mower does not imply a mix of oil and fuel. On the contrary, it can cause engine damage. It is enough to change the oil once a season, as usually the crankcase holds from 450 to 600 ml of oil. This is enough to handle large areas. However, do not be lazy to check the oil level before each use of the tool.
How is oil used in two-stroke engine lawn mowers?
As a rule, a two-stroke engine is mounted on trim tabs, and since their design does not imply the presence of extra parts, a separate oil tank is not provided. What to do in this case? Prepare the fuel mixture.
For two-stroke engine lawn mowers, the same rules apply as for their larger counterparts, with one exception — you need to buy oil for units with a two-stroke engine.
On each trimmer (or in the instructions for it), the proportions of mixing fuel and oil are indicated: from 1:32 to 1:35. This rule applies only to mineral oil! And since it’s quite difficult to find it now, and it can scare off the cost, semi-synthetic or even synthetic oil is most often used. Note that the mixing proportions in this case change, and become. 1:50. If in doubt, carefully examine the oil packaging; this data is usually indicated on it. You should focus on them. To prepare the mixture, it is enough to pour 100 ml of oil into five liters of gasoline, this should be enough for a whole season of regular beveling. If not, repeat the procedure.