Which Saw to Choose for Door Installation
The modern interior door leaf has a lot of advantages: reliable, easy to install, has a diverse design. But some points encountered during installation require detailed consideration. The installation of interior doors involves several stages, each of which has its own nuances. Foaming the door leaf is not so simple, such work requires attention and strict adherence to the rules, then you will get a good result.
Installation of interior doors
Installing an interior door is easy if you follow the instructions. Work with the door leaf requires preparation, so the first thing to do is to purchase a set of tools, which includes:
Elements of accessories for installing the door:
To install the interior fabric, you need to perform several steps:
- dismantle the old door. To do this, remove the door and disassemble the door frame;
- Assemble a new door frame. To assemble it, free the racks from the packaging and fasten them together with screws. Assemble the box with the rectangular corners of the racks or beveled;
- install the door hinges on the box. To fix the hinges, tools such as a cutter, screwdriver, awl, thin drill and drill will come in handy. Sometimes a circular saw and a pencil are used to fix the hinges;
It is important! Remember that large hinges are mounted on the box, and small hinges are mounted on the door. For more accurate installation of the hinge, attach the door and make the necessary notes. When hinging the door leaf, pay attention to the direction the hinges are turned. According to the rules, the hinges of the hinge should look on the front side. It remains to fix the hinges, combining the holes.
Door hinge insert
- install the box in the doorway and secure with wooden wedges. But to install the box is not enough, you also need to align it vertically and horizontally. As a result, the box should stand so that the door was stationary in three positions: in the open, closed and half-closed;
It is important! Remember that the gap "on the foam" between the box and the wall should be 1-2 cm. This distance will be enough to secure the door frame and not damage it.
- the gap between the wall and the box is filled with foam. To find out how to do it right, pay more attention to this item.
How to foam the gap between the box and the wall?
After you assembled and installed the box in the opening, there were small gaps around the entire perimeter. They are closed with mounting foam. The work will not be difficult if you consider that the foam is very sticky and heavy, so the door frame and the door itself must be closed from getting it.
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Before using the foam, take care of the spacers on the door leaf, as it greatly increases in volume. You can even install cardboard, from the packaging of the door leaf;
- Shake the bottle and moisten the opening with water, along with the box section. Humidification is needed to increase the adhesion of the foam and accelerate its solidification. Work with the cylinder carefully. Keep it upside down;
- monitor the temperature in the room. If it corresponds to a range from 5 to 30 degrees, then the work is performed by the usual type of material. If the temperature range ranges up to 10 degrees, then high-quality work is possible with all-weather material.
It is important! To avoid distortions during the work, apply foam in several layers. In this case, the interval between the first and second layer should be 1-3 hours.
When filling the space with foam, do not fill it whole, a third will be enough, as it greatly increases in volume. Vertical filling of the voids with foam, start from the bottom, then the lower section will become a support for the upper ones. It will take 24 hours to fully dry the foam. After 5 hours, you can remove the spacers.
After the final drying, the excess foam is cut off, and the surface is sealed with putty and paint to protect it from the negative effects of moisture or the sun.
Installation of platbands
After the box is installed, and the joints are sealed with foam, it is time for fastening platbands. They are nailed. If these are platbands made of brittle material, then drill holes in them before installation. This will prevent them from cracking.
It remains to remove the protective film and we can assume that the installation of the door leaf has been completed.
Видео: Which Saw to Choose for Door Installation
Which foam to choose
The installation of the interior door depends on the technology, as well as on the right foam. What installation foam is better to choose for interior doors? This question is asked by every person who has encountered installing a door leaf. To solve this problem, you need to know that polyurethane foam is classified according to various criteria:
- by composition;
- by scope of application;
- by degree of combustion;
- according to temperature of use.
All types of polyurethane foam available on the construction market have the same composition with small additions, so they are called a polyurethane one-component sealant in aerosol packaging. There are complex formulations of foam, which are called two-component. But for domestic use, they are little used.
The composition of one-component foam includes:
- prepolymers (polyol, isocyanate), which are the basis of the foam;
- a mixture of butane and propane, performing the function of a propellant;
- elements that increase adhesion and the degree of foaming, perform the function of filler substances.
Types of polyurethane foam
Fields of application
The scope of the foam lies in the name. installation, so it is used for any repair work:
- when installing windows and doors;
- when mounting structures made of wood, metal, concrete or plastic.
Based on this, polyurethane foam is:
- professional, which is used by experienced craftsmen. Foam is inserted into a special gun and portioned issued in the right places;
- semi-professional sprayed with a plastic tube clad on a pressure lever. It is recommended to be used to solve small problems.
This indicator is indicated on polyurethane foam cylinders. Foam of the following classes is presented on the construction market:
- B1. mounting foam with refractory properties;
- B2. self-extinguishing foam;
- B3. foam that is prone to burning.
Foam is used in various conditions, so the temperature regime differently affects the components of the foam. To avoid problems when installing doors or windows, select the foam according to the temperature range in the room.
Depending on this, three types of polyurethane foam are distinguished:
- summer foam, which is used at temperatures from 5 to 35 ° C;
- winter foam, which is used at temperatures from 18 to 35 ° C;
- universal or all-weather foam, which is used at temperatures from 10 to 35 ° C.
The popularity of polyurethane foam is due to operational properties, which are its advantage. In this regard, the mounting foam has:
- high adhesion with any materials;
- heat resistance;
- electrical conductivity;
- high speed setting and solidification;
- atoxicity before and after polymerization;
- incombustibility (only some types);
- moisture resistance;
- a combination of ductility and elasticity;
- low thermal conductivity;
- slight shrinkage throughout the year;
- chemical resistance;
- high strength
- good sealing effect, which cannot be achieved even with cement mortar;
- short time for foaming;
- lack of additional materials and tools;
- lack of power sources.
Which foam is better: professional or household
Professional sealant is easy to distinguish from household, just look at its packaging. If the can is equipped with a plastic tube, then this is a composition for use in domestic conditions. But this does not mean that only beginners use this sealant. Let’s take a closer look at the characteristics of the two sealants to understand what tasks they are used for.
- The first thing that catches your eye is the packaging. As a rule, household compositions are designed to perform small tasks, i.e. there is no need for a large amount of foaming agent. This can not be said about the professional compositions that are used for a large-scale front of work. Accordingly, the packaging of polyurethane foam 300 ml and 750 ml.
- The output of the composition of the container during operation. It is noticed that household sealants cannot boast of a full foam output during operation. As a rule, the declared volume by the manufacturer does not correspond to reality, which leads to the fact that instead of one cylinder it is necessary to purchase as a reserve. Unlike household sealants, professional ones are more profitable, since the declared volume fully corresponds to the output.
- Secondary expansion coefficient. This parameter should always be considered, especially if you do not have the skill to work with polyurethane foam. Household compositions have the highest expansion rates compared to professional ones. Is it plus or minus? A moot point. Suppose in a situation where you need to foam a wide gap between the wall and the door block. this is a plus, and if you are faced with the task of foaming the gaps between slopes, plastic windows or other less durable surfaces, then the plus becomes a big minus. If you miss the fact that the composition has a high coefficient of expansion, you can deform the surface. Experts recommend adhering to one rule in working with such a sealant. to fill the space not completely, but only by 1/3.
- Shrinkage. This coefficient speaks for itself, in household compositions it is 5-7%, in professional sealants 0-3%.
- The gun for work with foam. Household sealants are immediately equipped with a plastic tube through which it is easy to apply the composition. Professional cylinders do not have such an advantage, and sometimes the purchase of the gun itself is more expensive than the foam itself, especially since in addition to it you will have to take care of purchasing a solvent to clean it, otherwise the gun can simply be thrown away.
- Reusable foam. Professional compositions easily tolerate pauses in work. The main condition is not to remove the gun after work so that the foaming compound does not harden. It is advisable to use household sealants completely, since they do not tolerate such pauses well. But if necessary, you can put the sealant in a cool place until next time. The only thing is, take care of the tube so that there is no foam left in it.
- And the last difference is the nature of the work. Professional compounds are appropriate where an exact dosage of a foaming substance is required when performing thermal insulation and sealing joints. Household foam is needed for small tasks and rough work.
So, to summarize: polyurethane foam is not a luxury, but a necessity when installing interior doors or windows. The quality of work will depend on how correctly you decide on the choice of composition. Having familiarized with our advice on installing the interior fabric, you will cope with the task perfectly, without resorting to the help of specialists.