Which screwdriver to take for the house is better
The numbers in the characteristic show with what force the screwdriver twists the self-tapping screw or how much force is required to overcome the load during drilling. What is the practical use of knowing the parameter? The diameter and length of the bolt to be screwed in depends on the torque. The higher the indicator, the longer and thicker the screws can be used in work without fear of failures or breakdowns. For example, at 40 N / m, it will be possible to freely “drive” a self-tapping screw 10 cm long into the tree.
In small household models, the torque is from 10 to 30 N / m, but the indicator can be adjusted by adjusting to the nozzle. For adjustment, a limiter is provided on the screwdriver body. a ring that goes immediately after the chuck. The user can coordinate the effort for a specific screw by scrolling the limiter. Result: as soon as the self-tapping screw is tightened to the desired level, the chuck will stop, although the motor will work at the same time.
Interesting: the stop not only helps to tighten the bolts, preventing excessive “sinking” into the material, but also protects the tool from wear.
Buyers often ask: “How to choose the right screwdriver for the house, focusing on the type of chuck?” The answer is to remember the information and learn to distinguish one type of cartridge from another. There are 3 of them:
- The key one is that the drill holds in it a device resembling “cams”. the two sides of the chuck are connected with the fastening side to the center and in this way clamp the tool. The chuck nut is tightened with a special wrench that comes with the kit. It takes some time to change the tooling, but the fixation is strong and reliable, which is ideal for working with hard materials.
- Keyless. one- and two-clutch. The main difference is that in single-cartridge cartridges the nozzle is changed with one hand. press the cartridge, remove the rig, put the other. For two-clutch ones, you will have to use both hands, which is already inconvenient.
- Hexagon. Special “socket” for bits, which are necessarily included in the tool kit with such a chuck.
Looking through the assortment of cordless screwdrivers with different cartridges, it is difficult to answer which one is better. Here, rather, you need to look at the diameter of the hole in the chuck, it depends on it what kind of equipment can be used when working. In household tools, nozzles no more than 1 cm thick are used.
Voltage and other parameters
For an ordinary buyer of a screwdriver, it is enough to know:
- for household appliances, the voltage ranges from 10-14 V;
- for professional, the indicator should be more. from 18 V. Some instruments boast a level of 36 V.
The next characteristic is power. The parameter informs the user about the speed of the device. It is logical that the higher the power, the faster the self-tapping screw will be tightened. But you should not overdo it, for household purposes and do-it-yourself in-line repairs, a 500-700 W model is quite enough.
In order not to send the device for charging every half hour of operation, you should pay close attention to the battery. Modern screwdrivers use:
- Lithium-ion batteries are not subject to self-discharge, the most common. They can be charged up to 3000 times, and at any stage and discharge level.
- Nickel-cadmium. are not afraid of cold, they work efficiently at subzero temperatures. However, there is a small drawback. self-discharge. You need to store such a battery with 0% charge in order to save capacity to the maximum.
- Nickel-Metal Hybrid batteries are eco-friendly batteries found in some European brands. These batteries are compact and lightweight, but they are frost-resistant.
Comparing the characteristics of the battery, it is also worth looking at the capacity. The autonomy of the device and the number of possible recharges depend on it. Over time, the capacity decreases, this also needs to be taken into account.
Emphasis on the manufacturer
A hackneyed truth. a brand beyond competition. Yes, branded tools are more expensive, but they have a quality guarantee and service centers for repairs, and the screwdrivers themselves are made of durable components.
Quite good screwdrivers with a removable battery are also offered by Varo Kreator, Sparky, Dnipro-M and others.
Everything about battery-powered screwdrivers: pros and cons
The main difference between the cordless screwdriver and the network model is the absence of a cord. Autonomy of work and non-attachment to an outlet are the main advantages of a tool with a battery inside.
The advantages of the device also include:
- Mobility. The tool and the charging battery are in the same housing, no additional elements are needed for operation. It is enough to take the device in hand, and it is already ready to work. Can be moved anywhere.
- Compactness. As a rule, household autonomous screwdrivers are small in size. This makes the device especially convenient in hard-to-reach places.
- Versatility. Technique replaces screwdriver and drill.
In practice, the cordless instrument is indispensable in objects without electricity, when it is necessary to frequently move or climb to a height. The device can be operated outdoors or indoors.
The only drawback here is the need to periodically charge the battery. Manufacturers are trying in every possible way to solve this problem, for example, offering 2 batteries with the tool. While one is in the working process, the second restores energy.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver: 6 tips and a rating of 5 cool models
A screwdriver is essentially an electrical substitute for a screwdriver. It performs the same functions as the younger “brother”, only makes the process of tightening / unscrewing screws and bolts much faster. Such a tool is especially effective if there are tens or even hundreds of screws. The device can not only twist the screws. By installing a special drill, you can make holes in wood, plastic and thin metal with a screwdriver. powerful devices even take bricks and concrete. In general, the tool is indispensable in everyday life and during repairs.
To choose the perfect device for specific purposes, you should pay attention to the number of revolutions. The manufacturer calls this parameter speed or rotational speed. It is adjusted by pressing the “trigger”. the harder you press, the greater the speed. In addition, the frequency shows whether the tool will be able to screw the screw into a dense material and what is the approximate diameter of the hole if the screwdriver replaces the drill.
If the customer is confident that the device will only be used for tightening screws and bolts, 500 rpm is more than enough. Screwdrivers acting as drills operate at 1200 rpm.
A nuance: there are models with 1, 2 and 3 speeds on the market, where one is for self-tapping screws, the second is for drilling small holes, the third is for working with metal or other durable raw materials.
In branded models, the manufacturer, in addition to standard features, also offers the user auxiliary functions. They greatly facilitate the work and can become a point above the “i”, dispelling doubts whether it is worth buying this or that model.
Most often found in tools:
- charge indicator. a small light that will tell you when to put the battery on recharge;
- reverse motion. and unscrew the screw, and the drill can be removed from the thick board;
- impact mechanism. indispensable if you need to work with a stone surface or brick;
- illumination of the workplace. in some screwdrivers it is so powerful that there is no need for additional lighting.
There is also an impulse, various blockers, speed switches, etc. Each additional function is a plus to the price of the device, which means that you need to be 100% sure about its need for the device.
Additional points to pay attention to
Smooth start and reverse motion. Pay attention to the possibility of configuring the device for processing each specific material. It is important that the screws and self-tapping screws are fixed as tightly as possible, without destroying the coatings. For this purpose, it is better to choose configurations with a large number of attachments and a speed regulator.
The presence of the reverse (reverse) function is also of great importance. Thanks to this feature, you can unscrew the self-tapping screw, adjust the degree of its tightening, and also pull out the drill stuck in the working material.
Automatic spindle stop. The necessary function that will help you to manually tighten the self-tapping screw.
Design and ergonomics. Be sure to hold the screwdriver in your hand before purchasing. Check how its buttons work, if you need to apply too much force to press them. Estimate the weight of the tool. the center of gravity should be shifted to the handle, in this case the load will be evenly distributed on the limb, and you will get less tired during work.
Before purchasing a screwdriver, you should pay attention to the design of the device and how comfortable it is to hold it in your hand
Small, low-power screwdrivers are suitable for assembling furniture. If you work at a professional level, then a tool with an automatic self-tapping function will help increase productivity.
Additional convenience during work is provided by the presence of a magnetic holder for self-tapping screws, with its help you will fix the screw on the working surface before tightening.
Advice. Backlit devices make it easier to carry out repairs in poor light conditions and hard-to-reach places, so pay attention to this option in the selected model.
Types of cordless screwdrivers
According to the scope of application, there are 2 groups of screwdrivers:
- Professional. High power accumulators with brass bushings. They handle even the most difficult tasks and are suitable exclusively for professional use. They are distinguished by their high cost, significant energy consumption, and expensive repairs. Such costs are completely unjustified in home use.
- Household. They have the same feature set as professional ones. They are less powerful, but do an excellent job with standard tasks, while not draining the battery too quickly. The number of revolutions per minute for the most popular household models reaches 500. Such characteristics of the tool are enough for repair work at home or in the country, so you should not overpay unnecessarily for professional screwdrivers.
For the needs of the house and cottage, the capabilities of a household screwdriver are enough
Ordinary users should pay attention to household screwdrivers, because they cope with standard repair work with ease. However, professional tools are somewhat more convenient to work with due to the design features: lighter body, ergonomic shape of the handle, reinforced cartridge.
According to the range of tasks to be solved, the following configurations of cordless screwdrivers are distinguished:
- Basic. Complete with 1 chuck and 1 cross-head for screws. The structure of the model chuck does not imply a change of attachments, so the tool is used to solve a single specific task.
- Universal. Complete with a large number of attachments and a fully functional chuck. Thanks to this design, the device becomes multitasking and is able to replace several tools during repairs.
Depending on the scope and structural features of the cartridge, cordless screwdrivers are also divided into the following categories.
- Cordless screwdriver. Low power tool for tightening small screws and screws. The compactness of the device allows you to use it in hard-to-reach places and always have it at hand.
- Wrench. Equipped with a square attachment for working with heads. Suitable for assembling simple metal structures and securing bolted connections.
- Pulse. In the process, it emits vibrations that increase the tightening of the bolts. It is most convenient when working with long screws and self-tapping screws, which are difficult to tighten with standard devices. Models are not very common. due to the nature of their work, they quickly drain the battery, therefore they are less durable.
- Rowing. Line of models for progressive screwdriving of standard screws and self-tapping screws.
Advice. To choose the right cordless screwdriver, decide on the nature and number of manipulations you need. If you are faced with a minimum of simple standard tasks, you should not buy models with many attachments. you will overpay for the functions you do not need.
External device diagram of a standard screwdriver model for the market
The main characteristics of the screwdriver
To purchase a device that will last for many years and will be able to cope with the tasks you need, pay attention to the following design features:
Torque. Torque is a measure of the screw tightening force. For domestic needs, a torque indicator of up to 500 rpm is sufficient. The parameter determines the length and diameter of the screw to be screwed in, as well as the degree of hardness of the working surfaces. The torque of the screwdrivers is regulated by means of a limiter.
Battery. The duration of continuous work depends on its characteristics. On sale you will find the following types of batteries:
- Nickel-cadmium. They have a long service life and an affordable price, therefore they are used in powerful energy-intensive models. These batteries must be fully discharged before each recharge cycle, and they are harmful to health due to the content of toxic metals. Perfect for working in difficult conditions, as they are not afraid of frost.
- Lithium-ion. Batteries are safe, do not require a complete discharge, but their are higher, and the resource of recharge cycles is relatively short. They are rarely used in screwdrivers due to their relatively low power and high sensitivity to cold. Suitable for home use if the high price of the product suits you.
- Nickel metal hydride. Eco-friendly new generation batteries. Lightweight, small, powerful, no memory effect. Withstand up to 1500 recharge cycles of stable capacity. Such batteries must always be fully charged, and it is absolutely impossible to store them in a discharged state. They are distinguished by a rather high price, they are afraid of frost and may fail in case of strong overloads.
The choice of the battery for the screwdriver should be considered carefully: the duration of the autonomous operation of the device depends on it
How to choose a screwdriver for home
Which manufacturer to give preference to
You can choose the manufacturer of the cordless screwdriver by examining the product features of each brand.
- AEG. The German brand, the cordless screwdrivers of which are characterized by high efficiency in combination with economical energy consumption. All devices are made of durable materials and are comfortable to use, thanks to the ergonomic shape of the case.
- Bosch. The manufacturer’s budget models represent the best value for money on the market. Professional devices are somewhat inferior to AEG in terms of characteristics, but they meet European quality standards.
- Makita. Tools for high-end professionals. The device is based on a high-tech mechanism, as well as a high-capacity battery that provides up to 3 hours of continuous operation. With this high power, the tool is relatively light and compact. The only drawback is the rather high price.
- Bison. Domestic brand with decent product quality. The characteristics of devices and their functionality are not inferior to foreign counterparts, however, the weight and volume of the case is much higher than that of models of foreign manufacturers.
The appearance of a screwdriver from one of the popular manufacturers
Considering and evaluating all of the above parameters, you can choose a cordless screwdriver that suits your needs and tasks. For standard home repair needs, a tool with the following characteristics is suitable:
How to get the screwdriver on granny
- torque up to 500 rpm;
- the ability to use the tool in 2 modes. drilling and twisting;
- the presence of a reverse function;
- nickel metal hybrid or lithium ion battery.
Chinese Tools vs iFixit Kit!
The power of cordless models depends on the operating voltage of the battery. It ranges from 1.2 to 36 V.
- For simple work, 3-6 V (Volts) is enough.
- For screwing into wooden beams, plastic and drywall, optimal 10-15 V.
- For drilling hard materials. 18 V minimum.
The more power, the more functionality the screwdriver has. Powerful models are heavier than their “brothers”.
The performance of a tool is directly related to the work of torque (force). The more powerful it is, the more you tighten the screw or drill the hole deeper.
For household chores, screwdrivers of three powers are chosen.
- Stronger: torque 30-40 Nm (Newton meters) and above. Professional models are equipped with torques up to 130 Nm. In addition to twisting, they are equipped with the function of drilling hard surfaces.
- Normal: with a force up to 20 Nm. It is easy for them to unscrew / tighten the bolts and screws on drywall and plastic.
- If only twisted. this is a cordless screwdriver. Its torque is about 10 Newton meters. Suitable for working with small fasteners: repair children’s toys or tighten loosely clamped furniture bolts.
In most screwdrivers, the maximum torque is adjusted using a limiter. a ring with digital divisions located behind the chuck. You will be able to set the optimum torque to tighten the screw. The more graduations the limiter has, the more accurately you will be able to meter the torque element.
Sparky BUR2 10.8Li-C HD: 20 torque steps drilling
To determine the drilling coverage, a separate division is provided. Therefore, the rotational speed in screwdrivers is indicated in two ranges:
- unscrew the screws on a low one. It ranges from 400 to 800 rpm.
- drilled on a high. For professional models, the rotation speed reaches 1300 rpm.
Choosing a screwdriver: for home and for work
The difference between home and work screwdrivers is power and functionality. Accordingly, their tasks are different.
- With the help of household models, you can change the lock, hang a mirror or assemble furniture. They are designed for tightening bolts, screws and self-tapping screws. Designed for short-term operation.
- Professional screwdrivers, in addition to screwing, are equipped with the function of drilling hard surfaces. They are tough: able to work non-stop for eight hours, five days a week.
Choose screwdrivers for two parameters.
How to choose a screwdriver
The battery determines how quickly the tool is discharged. And if the question has become an edge: “How to choose a cordless screwdriver?”. it is worth dealing with the types of batteries.
- Li-Ion (lithium-ion). they have the highest power and, in comparison with other batteries, the largest number of charges. up to three thousand times. They are lightweight, charge fast and have no memory effect. To extend the life of the battery, do not fully charge / discharge it, keep it half charged. There is only one drawback:
- works intermittently in the cold.
Which screwdriver is better for home
The use of an electric hand tool has greatly facilitated the process of performing many jobs. One of these tools is a screwdriver. This article discusses in detail the varieties of this equipment, as well as their advantages.
Depending on the capacity and quality of the battery, the charge may last for a long time (up to several hours). This eliminates the need for frequent interruptions to recharge the battery. What’s more, some models come with two batteries. This means that you can not waste time waiting for the battery to charge, and use another.
This type of tool uses a battery consisting of several large-capacity batteries as a power source. This allows them to be recharged frequently without decreasing their lifespan. These screwdrivers can be equipped with both a 12 volt battery and an 18 volt battery. The latter option is used in industrial areas, since it has a large torque.
Electric screwdrivers differ in the way they work. They are driven by electricity. Therefore, their use over a long distance can be associated with some difficulties. For example, in order to work as far as possible from the outlet, you need an extension cord or a long cord of the screwdriver itself. This can also lead to some difficulties during the installation of suspended structures or when working at height.
Electric screwdrivers have a high torque. This makes them a good option if you need to drill a hole in wood or even metal. Correctly selected level of the gearbox or clutch will save the tool motor from overheating and phase displacement. If, nevertheless, this happens, the power tool will require replacement of the motor, or it will not be repairable at all.
The high power also allows the tool to be used for grinding or cleaning various metal parts and surfaces. Thanks to the high revs, it is easier to remove the top layer of blackened wood. It is also worth noting that some electric screwdrivers have a speed switch. This function allows you to change the ratio of shaft speed to tractive effort.
Due to the fact that such switching becomes possible, the screwdriver can be used more efficiently. If you need to drill a hole, you can do it at the first speed (with high rpm), and if you need to tighten a long self-tapping screw, then it is best to use the second one (at a lower speed, but with more pulling force). Thus, the motor of the tool will not experience large overloads, therefore, it will have a long service life.
The deciding factor that will help you decide between these two options will be how often the equipment is used. It is worth remembering that batteries must go through frequent discharge and charge periods so that their capacity is not lost. If a screwdriver is needed occasionally, then the best solution would be to purchase an electric tool.
The brushless percussion model is a semi-professional solution, the advantages of which are:
- bit cartridge ¼;
- Li-Ion battery;
- battery voltage 24 W;
- the ability to perform work at a near-professional level.
True, the price is comparable to professional counterparts from other manufacturers.
Kolner KCD 12M
The model is designed to work with fasteners and drill holes of various diameters. Design features:
- keyless chuck;
- Nickel-cadmium battery with a capacity of 1000 mAh;
- recharging speed about 5 hours;
- 20 steps of torque adjustment.
This is a versatile model that easily copes with simple tasks at home or in the country.
The best screwdrivers for the home
The best professional screwdrivers
Best cordless drills screwdrivers
Best network screwdrivers
The battery-type screwdriver is designed for assembly and disassembly work of any complexity. The advantages of this device:
- high performance even in hard-to-reach places due to its compact size;
- simplicity, reliability and safety in management;
- convenient chuck device (quick-clamping);
The chuck allows you to work with attachments up to 100 mm. Among the shortcomings: the lack of a battery in the device package.
The advantages of this impact drill / driver include:
- the possibility of drilling, drilling and chiselling;
- a wide range of speeds that can be adjusted depending on the material;
- torque 75 N / m;
- the ability to make holes in wood with a diameter of 45 mm, in brick. 14 mm, in steel. 13 mm.
Keyless chuck makes tool changes easy. The presence of a Li-Ion battery increases the operating time without recharging up to 5 hours.