Which side to put the chain on the chainsaw
Why the chain flies. find out the reasons
When considering how to install a chain on a chainsaw, you should also pay attention to what reasons lead to its collapse. There are three main reasons:
Each reason becomes the reason why quite a lot of difficulties arise with the use of a chainsaw.
Poorly fixed drive sprocket
Quite widespread is the variant when the leading sprocket is poorly fixed. It often detaches itself during operation. The solution to this problem is carried out as follows:
- The protective cover of the engine and spark plugs are removed, after which the air filter is removed.
- The next step is to remove the spark plug, which requires a special wrench.
- A special plug allows you to fix the piston in the desired position.
- The clutch plate is turned with a special key until the position of the piston, which should be located on top, is changed.
How to install chain saw chain
Then you can fix the sprocket in the correct position and solve the problem in question. The specified information indicates that such work is quite problematic, it is often carried out by organizations servicing chainsaws.
Today, the problem associated with an unreliable fixation of the tire is often encountered. It is characterized by the following features:
- The body with the guide element is fixed with a bolt.
- The connection is provided by two plates, one of which is located on the body, the second on the one, which is designed to guide the chain at the time of operation.
- The drive sprocket and the tire support are protected by a special casing, which eliminates the possibility of damage to the main elements.
- When the locking bolts are loosened, the structural element in question begins to move and vibrate at the time of operation. You can solve this problem by tightening the fasteners.
Other defects simply cannot be solved. In most cases, defects become the reason why you have to purchase a tire and replace it.
How to put the chain on a chainsaw correctly
To perform a sufficiently large number of works, a chainsaw can be used. The main cutting element of such a tool is represented by a chain with different blades. Modern versions are characterized by the fact that they can be serviced independently. When cutting for a long time or if basic recommendations are not followed, the cutting edge wears out quickly. That is why it is necessary to remove and sharpen the chain, and then install it. This procedure is characterized by a fairly large number of features, which we will talk about in more detail below.
The chain is stretched
If the chain is used incorrectly or for a long time, it can be very stretched. This is due to the fact that the metal can deform over time. Too much wear and tear becomes the reason why you have to purchase a new version, but it is possible to use the old one for a short period. Rapid stretching can be avoided only if the recommendations for use are followed. To carry out the work you need:
- A hammer.
- Welding machine.
It is not difficult to put on a stretched version, but there are quite a few problems with restoration, since the metal is characterized by increased strength. In this case, the main elements are fastened with rivets. The work is carried out as follows:
- The product is fastened in pieces.
- If the work is carried out using an angle grinder, then there is a possibility that the surface will be damaged, since this tool is difficult to control.
- After crushing, rivets are knocked out. Do not throw it away as it can be reused.
- Chain manufacturers do not issue spare parts that are required for maintenance.
- You can make a rivet with your own hands, but the work is quite difficult.
- The product is divided into two parts. It should be borne in mind that the number of guides and the distance between them must remain unchanged.
When solving a problem with a long length, do not forget that too short a chain can no longer be pulled. In addition, it is not recommended to apply oil to the saw chain.
Chainsaw functions and device
In order to understand the features of the procedure under consideration, the chainsaw device should also be considered in detail. Among the features, the following points can be noted:
HOW TO PUT ON A CHAIN SAW CHAIN THE RIGHT WAY
- The main part is represented by the engine. In most cases, the installation of a structure with one cylinder is carried out, since this is quite enough for cutting.
- The piston system is two-stroke, and the cooling is air. During operation, a relatively small amount of thermal energy is released, therefore, there is enough airflow to remove heat.
- As in many other designs, this one requires oil, which ensures the smooth running of the moving element. The oil is added directly to the fuel. Depending on the design, oil and fuel are mixed in the range of 1:20 or 1:50.
- The air filter can also be called an important structural element. Fuel is mixed with air to produce a specific mixture that is fed into the combustion chamber. If you do not constantly clean the filter element, then there is a possibility that debris will fall into the cylinder block. This will cause rapid wear or even jamming of the device.
- A special design is presented as a starter, which is driven by a rope with a handle. If the rope is pulled strongly, then the flywheel is set in motion.
- The main working mechanism is represented by a splint with a fastener. It is designed to guide the chain and secure it.
- The classic chain consists of three teeth: leading, cutting, connecting. The fastening of the cutting edge is carried out using rivets.
A fairly common situation is the case when you have to pull the handle for a long time. It is due to the fact that the carburetor does not mix properly fuel with air. In most cases, it is enough to configure the device in accordance with the operating characteristics. Your chainsaw won’t last long if not properly maintained.
Stretching can be done using two methods: fast and frontal. If stretch is used, then the installation of the chain on the chainsaw is carried out as follows:
- The nuts are unscrewed.
- The tire is held and lifted from the edge.
- There is a special bolt that is used to tension the chain.
- The tire is lifted to eliminate the possibility of sagging of the web.
It is quite simple to perform such work, it requires a small set of tools.
The quick method is to lift the wing nut handle and loosen it, the screw is turned clockwise, then the wing nut is also tightened and the handle is released.
The clockwise chain tension is carried out in the case when there is not a lot of free time. The chain screw is securely fixed to eliminate the likelihood of rattling at the time of operation.
Why does the chain come off?
Many, even the most experienced users of chainsaws, have faced in their life a situation where the chain jumped off the guide bar during operation. The most common cause is insufficient chain tension or wear.
In 80% of cases, the stretched chain links slip from the teeth of the drive sprocket, and it flies out from the guide under the action of centrifugal force. Although sometimes the problem appears due to the incorrect position of the sprocket relative to the axis of rotation or a loose saw bar on the chainsaw.
Basically, the chain stretches for 3 main reasons: low quality metal, installation with excessive tension, use of low-quality oil. We also recommend reading about what oil to use for the chainsaw chain, about STIHL and Husqvarna oils.
The chain, together with the guide bar, is subjected to the greatest stress during operation, unlike other parts of the chainsaw. Over time, it lengthens in size due to boring gaps in the connecting links. This process occurs with absolutely any type of chain, therefore, when using a chainsaw, it is necessary to periodically monitor the correct tension of the chain and its wear.
How To Put A Chain On A Chainsaw Properly
- the length of her life;
- safety of felling or timber breaking;
- internal combustion engine resource.
If the chain is overtightened, the efficiency of the sawing work decreases, and the motor and transmission are subjected to increased loads. The guide bar heats up a lot due to increased friction, the operating mode of the chainsaw goes into excessive consumption of the fuel mixture. About what gasoline to pour into the chainsaw, read here.
Chain direction and which side to wear?
A chainsaw chain, if you look closely, has saw teeth pointing to one side. Therefore, it is very easy to determine the correct direction of the saw teeth on the guide bar:
If you place the chainsaw itself in the plane in which it is in the process of operation, then a row of teeth located on top of the guide bar, with sharp edges, should be directed to the end of the bar. While, the row of teeth, which is located at the bottom of the chainsaw, with sharp edges should point in the opposite direction, towards the drive sprocket.
It will not work to put the chain with its teeth inward to the grooves in the guide bar, it simply will not stick to the bar. Therefore, you need to put the chainsaw chain on the bar so that the guide ears of the saw blade links are directed towards the inside of the guide bar.
How to install a chain on a chainsaw
The chainsaw chain is the element that is subjected to the greatest stress and overheating. From such influences, it can break, fly off the guide rail, or simply become dull from prolonged use. For timely maintenance or replacement with a new one, you need to know how to independently remove the saw chain from the chainsaw and install it back. The step-by-step algorithm of these operations will be shown below.
How to untangle?
When removing an old chain or putting a new chain on the guide bar of the chainsaw, it can become tangled. It can also happen with careless transportation. When the chain is tangled, it folds into rings.
Due to the lack of flexibility in the transverse direction, the chain is very difficult to untangle with bare hands, because when you try to untangle one ring in another place, a new ring is formed.
It is necessary to put the chainsaw chain on a horizontal surface and spin the rings in different directions, while pulling the blade in such a direction that the diameter of the rings increases. Sooner or later the chain will unravel into its natural position.
There is another way. you can rivet one link of the chain and straighten it, then connect it into a ring and rivet the riveted links back.
What to do if the chain sags?
If the chain slack, there is a risk of injury to the operator. the saw blade could break or simply fly off the guide sprockets. Of course, modern chainsaws have safety and emergency stop systems, but these systems do not always work correctly.
You should not install a chain with defective or damaged saw links on a chainsaw, in addition to the danger of breaking at any time, such a chain will sharpen the guide grooves of the bar, which will lead to its distortion, uneven cut and failure of the guide bar.
The photo above shows the chain with a normal chain tension, and below with a weakened one, requiring tension.
Because of what the chain can sag during even short periods of operation?
- There may be problems with the guide bar. Sometimes, due to an oversight of the operator or due to severe wear of the threads of the fixing bolts at the point where the guide bar is attached, vibration may occur, which causes the chain to loosen. It is necessary to check the condition of the fixing bolts and, if necessary, replace them with new ones. When the bolts are sufficiently tightened, this problem does not arise.
- With enough careful handling of the chainsaw, over time, any chain can wear out. Trying to repair a chain or assemble one from several is a useless exercise. If the chain headset has stretched due to natural causes, then it is best to get a new one.
- The asterisk is skewed. Sagging can occur due to the misalignment of the sprocket teeth. In this case, it would be best to contact a service center to repair and adjust the position of the guide sprocket. It is quite difficult to fix the drive sprocket in the correct position, because you will have to dismantle many small parts, remove the guide rail, and then reassemble everything in the reverse order.
Chain problems can also arise from improper sharpening, no matter how you sharpen it with a sharpener or a regular file. A whole section is devoted to this heading on our website, you can go to it using this link.
Step-by-step installation algorithm
Not all modern chainsaws are equipped with a setting wheel, which greatly simplifies the procedure for installing the saw blade. Systems with a setting wheel are generally a rarity among household chainsaws. Therefore, it is very important to know the technology and sequence of installing the chain on the chainsaw.
Key points to look out for:
- Prepare a level surface on which you will assemble the chain and bar. This will minimize the chance of damage to the chainsaw or loss of small parts. A tire is laid out on the prepared surface and a parallel chain next to it.
- Remove the sprocket protection, on modern chainsaws it is enough to unscrew the wing nut, on older models, you may need a spanner wrench of the appropriate size.
- At the base of the guide bar, turn the sprocket all the way to the right. Only in this position is the chain installed.
- Then the chain is sequentially placed, link by link, on the fixing groove on the guide rail. Install the chain from the top of the guide, gradually turn it so that the bar is always on top and the chain is on the bottom, this will allow it to always be taut and fit into the guide groove without problems. When doing this step, be sure to wear thick protective gloves, because your fingers will touch the cutting edge. Viewed from above, the cutter is always forward towards the end of the guide bar.
- Put both the tire and the chain on the drive sprocket.
- Secure the chain sprocket cover in place. Make sure all mounting pins line up with the holes. Incorrect installation with distortions or not completely can cause extraneous noise, rattling.
- Make sure that the guides “go” into the special mounting chute.
- After installation, check the fixation of the chain on the chainsaw and on the bar. Everything must be securely fastened without backlash.
An important point is the degree of chain tension after installation. Setting the correct tension is easy and takes less than 3 minutes. First you need to loosen the nuts on the protective cover. Using the freely rotating adjusting screw, catch the correct tension so that the chain does not pull more than 3-5 mm from the edge of the guide bar.
It remains only to tighten the nuts and check the tension. If correction is needed, adjust the tension again.
When the chain is in operation, due to frictional forces, its metal heats up and expands, and the length increases. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the tension and correct it in time.
How to install the bar and chain on the chainsaw, see the following video, which presents a clear algorithm of actions:
There are many models of chainsaw chains on the market now. First you need to know which standard size is right for your chainsaw and not make a mistake in buying. To do this, we suggest reading a number of interesting and useful articles, for example, how to choose a chain for a saw, or an overview of chains from STIHL, Husqvarna or Oregon. By the way, when buying, pay attention to the chain pitch, each chainsaw has its own. There are also very expensive and productive chains with victorious solders.
The second step is to properly install it on the chainsaw. This is a somewhat laborious process, but if you know how to put on and adjust the chain to the saw bar yourself, then the happy owner should not have any problems.
We hope that after reading this article, you will succeed the first time. But in order to minimize the occurrence of problems with the chainsaw and chain in the future, remember 3 basic rules:
- If the chain is worn out and sagged, replace it with a new one;
- If vibration appears during sawing and the cut is bad. watch the chain tension on the chainsaw;
- Never use saw blades that are defective or repaired by dubious specialists, your health and those of those who are nearby are much more important than a little savings on buying a new and reliable chain.