Why The Lawn Mower Is Not Gaining Momentum
Caring for a personal plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the lawn mowing does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. For the correct diagnosis of the problem, the owner of the unit useful at the cottage needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
- Where to start diagnosing lawn mowers
- Checking the fuel mixture
- We diagnose a candle and a candle channel
- Diagnostics of lawn mowing filters
- Breather and exhaust channel
- Complex causes of lawn mowing failure
- Rules for the operation and storage of lawn mowers
Where to start diagnosing lawn mowers
If the lawn mowing does not start or immediately stalls after start-up, it is necessary to check all the main components and assemblies in sequence. The verification algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust channel.
These nodes are most often the source of major problems that can be fixed after a thorough inspection.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gas spit, check the availability and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and do not be clever in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). It is necessary to prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its quantity from real needs. Excess gasoline remaining after work over time loses its quality.
We diagnose a candle and a candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the lawn mower stalls at start-up, then a filled candle may become the cause. Here, for repair, an ordinary candle key (probably every motorist has it) and a spare candle are suitable.
- We twist the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not calcine);
- The excess fuel in the chamber is drained through the spark plug hole and dried;
- We clear an old candle from a deposit by means of a file or a lady’s file;
- We set a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We return everything to its place and try to start a trimmer.
If the candle is working, the nest where it is completely dry and the lawn mower does not want to start, we lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly moistened. No matter how wonderful a spark a candle gives out, there is simply nothing to light up in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, a cause such as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire should be excluded. If the connection is high-quality, but there is still no spark, most likely, your ignition unit has “flown”. Here you can’t do without a master, because the part is not being repaired, but sold as a single unit.
Diagnostics of lawn mowing filters
Another reason that the gas braid stalls may be an air filter. To exclude it, try to remove the filter and start the trimmer without it. If possible, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow out and thoroughly clean the old one.
A gas trimmer may not start up due to contamination of the fuel filter. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction pipe completely without a filter, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can result in repair of the engine piston group.
Breather and exhaust channel
Often, “gentle” branded lawn mowers do not start and stall due to contamination of the breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. If this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, which prevents the fuel supply. You can fix the problem by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of the braids with internal combustion engines may be impaired due to the ingress of dirt into the exhaust channel or clogging of the silencer mesh. There is such a problem on older models. You can solve the problem by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark mesh.
Complex causes of lawn mowing failure
If the step-by-step algorithm for troubleshooting does not give a result, and your braid still does not start or stalls, it is worth examining the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for unstable tool operation. Three main problems can be distinguished here:
- Clogged channels or jets. All this is cleaned with special washes or purged with a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wire, as passage sections may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Output. Replacement of failed gaskets;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing a manometer with a suitable one. Keep track of the readings: if they do not change, everything is fine, and if the pressure starts to fall, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the gas trimmer may not start due to wear on the piston group. If chips, scratches, or nicks are found on the piston or cylinder, they should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory inspection. A slight piston loophole while rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. This procedure is best entrusted to service center specialists.
Rules for the operation and storage of lawn mowers
In order for the lawn mowing to continue well, you need to provide it with good storage and operating conditions:
- During operation, carefully monitor the cooling system, carefully and timely clean the channels in the housing, as well as the fins of the starter;
- If necessary, use solvents, kerosene and other detergents for cleaning;
- Do not clean the tool “hot”. Let it cool;
- Strictly follow the requirements of the instruction regarding the operating mode, otherwise you may overheat the engine;
- If you do not plan to use the lawn mower in the next month, the fuel mixture must be drained from it, because over time it breaks up into heavy fractions that will uniquely clog the carburetor channels;
- After draining the fuel, let the trimmer idle until it dies, this will help to completely remove the remains of the working mixture.
Before winter storage, follow these steps:
- Completely disassemble the braid, rinse and clean all the details that you can;
- Inspect the parts for damage, if necessary, eliminate distortions, gusts, bends and any other malfunctions;
- Pour enough oil into the gearbox and clean the air filter;
- You can partially disassemble the motor, flush, blow and grease all moving parts;
- In order to lubricate the piston, you need to unscrew the candle, raise the piston to the dead center with the starter, pour a little oil into the spark plug hole and rotate the crankshaft a couple of times;
- If you are not keeping the lawn mowing house, wind the engine with an oiled rag.
Using a gasoline lawn mower to mow the lawn, you must be careful and follow the operating rules exactly. After completion of work, the device must be cleaned, as even a slight clogging can block the moving mechanism. If frequent breakdowns of the mower occur: a review and solution of problems can be found by reading this article.
The main reason for the failure of the mechanism can be called misuse. Having knowledge of the principle of operation and mechanisms of gardening technology, you can fix the problems yourself. But it’s better to consult a specialist, especially in case of serious damage. Among the failures that occur most often, the following can be distinguished:
- Unusual garden technology noise. This usually happens due to loosening of the bolts or poor fixing of the housing. It is necessary to carefully inspect all nodes and tighten the bolts. If the noise resembles a whistle. Most likely a foreign object has got into the mechanism. It is necessary to turn off the mechanism and remove the foreign object;
- The case shakes unnaturally during operation. Most likely, the cause is a malfunction of the cutting element that needs to be replaced;
- The mower does not start. First you need to check if there is enough gasoline in the tank. If everything is okay with this and the engine is not working, a possible cause may be a defective spark plug. In other cases, it is recommended to consult a specialist, since it will not be easy to repair the mower yourself;
- The engine does not gain momentum and immediately stalls. The cause may be jamming of the mechanism. If this happens due to lack of lubrication, it is necessary to add oil to the crankcase and set the mechanism in motion;
- Rough lawn surface. This means that the cutting elements are dull and cut grass poorly. It is necessary to sharpen knives, and it is better to replace them with new ones;
- The mower does not ride or movement is difficult. First of all, you should check whether the cutting height is selected correctly.
All of these malfunctions can be eliminated independently without contacting specialists.
It is worth listing a few tricks thanks to which you can keep your garden equipment in excellent condition and minimize the need for special maintenance.
- If the lawnmower has not worked for a long time, it is necessary to drain the stagnant gasoline, as shown in the photo;
- Gently pour high-quality gasoline into an empty tank with a watering can;
- If necessary, add a carburetor swap primer and set the maximum speed.
Lawn Mower Does Not Start
- If the engine does not start, check the position of the choke. If the air temperature exceeds 30 ° C, you need to set the middle position;
- With long-term operation of the equipment, it is necessary to take breaks for 5 minutes to avoid overheating of the engine;
- It is necessary to check whether gasoline got on the spark plug;
- If the gas in the tank is stagnant, it is worth changing it to a new one;
- It is necessary to check whether the filter passes air well; if necessary, rinse it;
- You can pump fuel into the carburetor using a primer.
If the mower does not ride, check the drive belt. It may be worn out and needs to be replaced.
The mower is not gaining momentum
The cause may be such malfunctions:
- You need to inspect the muffler. Perhaps it is clogged;
- The grass is wound on a shaft and this does not twist the knife, as shown in the photo;
- Rust on the mechanism and parts;
If the mower does not work at full power, it is necessary to disassemble and clean the mechanism.
Lawn Mower Does Not Collect Grass
The cause of this may be malfunctioning or blunt knives. In order to avoid this situation, you need to install new knives every season. You can do with sharpening knives at an angle of 30 °.
When sharpening, you must protect yourself with special glasses and protective gloves. After sharpening, you need to test the balancing of the knives.
Knives are incorrectly adjusted
This can be seen on the uneven surface of the lawn. Before making any adjustments, you must turn off the mower and wear protective gloves.
The gap between the cylinder and the knives should be uniform in all areas and not exceed the thickness of the sheet of office paper. Even to control the gaps, the same paper is used. It is inserted between the cylinder and the knife, after which the drum rotates. It is necessary to adjust the knives until the paper is cut evenly at any point on the knife.
After reviewing the information, we can conclude that with proper work with garden equipment and timely maintenance, most of the problems can be avoided. If the trouble nevertheless happened and the lawn mower does not work at full capacity, you can try to fix the breakdown yourself or contact a service center.