Why Trimmer Line Runs Out Quickly
Free trimmer line
Choosing a trimmer line. what you need to know about consumables
The renowned Swedish company has been manufacturing garden equipment for over 400 years. It has won worldwide success due to the high quality of its products. The line is available both complete with trimmers and separately from them.
The Italian manufacturer has been manufacturing trimmers and trimmers for over 20 years. The choice is very wide, the consumer can choose a model for himself in terms of power, diameter and cross-section of the line.
- Introduction of new technologies.
- High quality equipment.
- A wide range of.
- Affordable cost.
- The line is resistant to wear, strong and lightweight.
- Low operating noise.
The most popular line is with an asterisk cross-section.
Various materials can be used:
- Coaxial thread.
- Nylon with added aluminum, graphite or steel bar.
The addition of a steel rod or line reinforcement makes it possible to cut not only grass, but also bushes. This line is durable and has a long service life.
Large and small line and when to use steel discs
If the fishing line does not match the power of the power unit, then this is fraught with the development of the following consequences:
- If a thin cord is used on a powerful gasoline trimmer, the material will wear out quickly, and the productivity and efficiency of the tool will decrease.
- If you put a line with a cross section of 2.6-3 mm on a low-power electric trimmer, the performance will decrease, there will be constant winding of the cord on the reel, and the load on the motor will also increase, which will cause its accelerated wear
For the manufacture of fishing line, a material such as nylon is used. It provides high reliability rates and also has good cutting properties. Why use a line on a trimmer when there are metal discs? This question is asked by many masters.
- The cord or line on the tool is used when vegetation is cut in an area where there are various obstacles. stones, pillars, benches, trees, etc. When colliding with these obstacles, flexible equipment only wears out faster, but the motor of the tool is not overloaded
- Metal discs are designed to handle a wide variety of challenges in the field. They effectively mow dense and thick-stemmed vegetation. When colliding with obstacles, the teeth become dull quickly, as well as overloading the power unit
Thus, we can summarize all of the above and note such important factors in choosing a line for a trimmer.
A clean and well-groomed lawn testifies to the diligence of the owner. Therefore, by observing all the tips outlined above, you can purchase exactly such a line that will serve you for a long time and will be reliable and of high quality.
Why does the line fly out when using the trimmer?
The trimmer is the most common machine used for trimming grass and cutting small bushes. This device is distinguished by its own simplicity in maintenance, easy control during its operation, and due to its low weight, even ladies can use it. It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. For the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) are used in trimmers, as it is also called trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line are a consumable tool, if there is an option to sharpen the knives, then when you use the fishing line, you need to change it. In this post, we will very carefully tell you how to correctly change the line.
A grass mowing head is essentially a cylindrical body, in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a fishing line (cord) tucked in there. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electronic trimmers. The heads differ in the method of threading and feeding the cord and there are 3 types.
- Automatic. The line is fed when the user lowers the engine speed. Although the automatic line feed is comfortable, if a huge amount of work is being done, such bobbins have one drawback. a high thread consumption.
- Automatic. The introduction of this type of heads does not ask the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their operation is designed so that the cord is lengthened by the office machine when the machine is operating at full speed. It is enough to hit the trimmer head on the ground a little (this removes the blocking of the cord), and the line is pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force, then it is cut to a suitable length with a knife placed on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the device must be stopped, then the line is manually stretched.
For the above reasons, automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be noted that there are single-string trimmer coils (used only for trimming the grass) and two-string ones, which are used for mowing the highest grass and small, with thin trunks of bushes.
Before starting the process of changing the cord, it is necessary for users of trimmers to remove and disassemble the coil. Let’s see how to do it.
The trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: a guard, a spring (not on many models), a bobbin with a cord and a cover.
Attention! While proceeding with any maintenance of the electronic unit, it must be disconnected from the network.
In trimmers, in most cases, 4.5 options for mounting the mowing head are used.
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you need to press on the latches (latches) located on its 2 sides.
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you will need to fix the myth shaft. For this purpose, in similar trimmers, for example, in the Huter and Champion machines, a hole is foreseen through which, of course, stick either a narrow screwdriver or an iron bar.
To remove the bobbin, follow the usual 2.4 steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start turning it clockwise. Twisting in this direction should be due to the circumstances that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
Depending on the duration of the project, which trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the line are selected. You will like the diameter of the cord better from 1.4 to 4 mm. It is easy to think that the thicker you fill the cord, the more tough and thick grass it is able to cut.
As a rule, use a universal fishing line with a diameter of 4 mm.
There are 3 methods to find out which line size your mower is using.
Free rope for lawn trimmer / DIY rope for lawn trimmer
This video is about making a fishing line from a plastic bottle. There are a lot of applications for such a rope. From the.
- See information regarding the thickness of the cord in the annotation to the device.
- Look at the bobbin itself. Here you will like more information on the probable diameters of the line.
The line is wound on a reel in the mowing head. Therefore, at first it must be opened (this was discussed above). There are 4.5 methods of winding the cord.
How to properly wind the line in the trimmer, and what to do if the line is quickly consumed, breaks off
Endless and comfortable lawn mowing head
In order to find correctly how many meters of fishing line will be needed for a particular reel, you need to wind it on the bobbin in such a way that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line sticks out over the edges of the spool, you cannot stick it into the casing. When you have determined the length of the material, you need to thread it into the bobbin, so do the following.
Problem: Trimmer Line Feeds Too Fast [Solved]
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- See that the bobbin is split into 2.4 parts by the central collar, from which charging begins. Find a groove in it and stick a cord there, bent twice, applying a little effort.
- It is of fundamental importance to find in which direction the line is wound on the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. Under these circumstances, see the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done carefully, turn to turn, with the highest thread tension.
- If the laying of the cord is completed, it will be necessary to first fix the small end of the line by inserting it into a groove on the side of the reel that fits the diameter.
- The second end, the longer one, is attached to the groove on the back of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the loaded bobbin into the mowing head. For this purpose, alternately inserting and pulling the thread along the exit holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now, of course, put on the lid and fix it with the latches.
In some reels, the 2nd method of securing the cord is provided: you can charge 2 pieces of thread, instead of the 1st, folded in half. The line is changed according to the following method.
- Before you change, in other words, load the newest thread into the coil, determine how many meters it will be needed using the method discussed above.
- One end of the cord bend hook type.
For Shtil lawn mowers there is a very common and quick method of changing the line without disassembling the mowing head, which, of course, can be studied by watching this video.
The ends of the cord sticking out of the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length when the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done, of course, in 2 methods:
- turning on the trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut off against the knife, fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off excess ends with scissors in such a way that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if the passage, if it was necessary to put a cord of a huge diameter, and the edging knife is not able to shorten it.
If the filament was loaded into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the device. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. But there are cases with the use of an automatic mowing head, when due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they are not lengthened automatically. Here you need to turn off the unit (on an electronic device, you certainly need to unplug the plug), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord will again be able to move out due to centrifugal force, if you set the highest spindle speed.
Whatever thickness of the fishing line you set, you should keep in mind: in order not to interrupt work at all times and not even change the cord, you should avoid areas where the working tool touches hard surfaces (pebbles, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
Some users of trimmers ask themselves the question: how can you change the cord, which is used by deflot in this type of device? They begin to conduct dangerous experiments by installing iron or copper wire, iron cables or strings, in addition to ordinary fishing line in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, then the trimmer is converted into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that at the time of operation of the unit, the metal cable will work evenly, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will scatter in different directions at high speed.
A similar thing happens with the use of metal or copper wire, only with the only difference that the pieces that have come off will be larger and cause significant injury.
Select line for petrol trimmer (lawn mowers | lawn mowers): 1.6, 3.2, 3 mm. round, star, square
If you accidentally hook your own or someone else’s leg while working with a machine with an iron cable (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and sometimes amputation of toes, is guaranteed for you. The manufacturer does not use nylon for such purposes in vain, since it is rather light and strong, and when it comes off it does not fly far away and cannot cause injury.
It is probably possible to use fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard one, but this will add unnecessary hassle for you, since it quickly wears out, breaks, mows slowly for cutting tough grass. Also, when carrying out work, a long period is lost for never replacing a broken tool.
Why Trimmer Line Runs Out Quickly
Step by step annotation on how to wind the line on the trimmer spool
With the arrival of spring, you often spend your time at the dacha or in your personal plot. The trimmer will protect you from obstacles such as grass and weeds. I don’t know why in the trimmer. 4. 4mm line is very fast why. This tool easily trims and mows grass in difficult areas, where an ordinary lawnmower cannot do it. The trimmer is a very effective and successful tool for mowing grass along fences, flower beds, houses and aisles in the garden. A number of types of garden trimmer have been invented (gasoline, electronic and battery). It would seem that everything is fine, you have such an excellent assistant in your arsenal, but over time, the cutting element wears out and it becomes necessary to replace the finished line. How to tuck the line into the trimmer, not everyone knows. We suggest using a step-by-step annotation with attached photos.
Instructions on how to wind the line on the trimmer spool
- 1. First you need to disassemble the trimmer head. Click on the latch on the product body and turn the cover clockwise. Removing the bobbin.
- Now we have to figure out how to wind the line on the trimmer reel. We measure out approximately 6-7m of line and insert its end into the hole of the bobbin.
- We wind the fishing line from 2 sides. The winding direction is always marked with an arrow on the bobbin.
- We leave free the ends of the cutting element 15 cm long. Do not wind too much line. Leave 6mm between the outside of the bobbin and the line.
- Insert the remaining two ends of the line into the reverse holes of the bobbin.
- We fix both ends in the grooves on the head body.
- Carefully install the spring back into the bobbin guides and into the head body.
- In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer to be correct, the bobbin must go back into the head body (press it a little). Pull the loose ends of the line out as needed. Pull the ends of the cutting element sharply in turn so that they come out of the grooves in the bobbin and freely pass through the holes on the head.
- So, we figured out how to wind the line on the trimmer reel. It remains only to align all the grooves on the head body and close the lid. Then we press on the bobbin and begin to rotate it counterclockwise until it stops. While holding the bobbin, turn it slightly clockwise and release it. If there was a clicking sound, then it snapped into the head. If this did not happen, then you need to repeat the action again.
- Pull out the loose ends of the line until they stop.
Why this tool is called differently
In the beginning, the trimmer was understood to be a hand-held lawnmower with an electronic motor. With all this, the mower was powered both from the mains and from the battery, which can be installed on the rod or carried in a special pouch.
The main cutting element is the fishing line, which makes certain restrictions on the type of processed grass: you can only mow plants with a narrow and soft trunk. The mowing area is limited by the length of the cable or the capacity of the battery. But in the near future, braids with gasoline engines began to be called trimmers. They give greater mobility to the worker, which can significantly increase the size of the site.
What is a trimmer
Under the trimmer, lawn mowers or electric mowers are assumed. In practice, this is one of the types of lawn mowers (hand mower), which are designed for mowing grass. This is a modern braid. Initially, they were developed for agricultural work, but the main application of trimmers was specifically lawn mowing.
For the first time, the idea to make a trimmer came to the mind of the South American businessman J. Bollas. As he drove his car through an automatic car wash, he saw that the spinning brush principle could be used to mow crops.
Then he assembled a simple trimmer from a tin can (as a spool) and a line threaded through the holes drilled in it. He installed the resulting structure on a pole, on which the engine from a moped was previously mounted. The device mowed not only wheat, but also grass. The trimmer spool device and comes out of the spool. The line does not stall for some reason. Realizing that he would earn huge sums on the sale of the scythe, the businessman improved his product and gave him the title “Weed killer”. A feature of the invention was the ability to mow the grass around the trees. the forest cut the grass perfectly, but did not injure the bark.
The main purpose of such a tool was to mow grass in small areas in places where traditional wheeled equipment cannot be applied:
- in the presence of a huge number of shrubs;
- in gardens with a huge number of trees;
- near fences and fences;
- if the site has uneven relief.
All trimmers are equipped with a barbell. the main structural element. A gasoline or electronic engine is attached to the rod from the 1st end, and a reel with a fishing line is put on the other. the main working element. With all this, the type of transmission can be at least some. it is limited only by the capabilities of the manufacturer and commercial parameters.
Why Line Comes Out of the Trimmer Reel
How to change the line in the trimmer and which one is better to choose
Since we saw the choice of a trimmer in the previous article, now we will tell you how to correctly fill the trimmer with fishing line, and which one is better to choose based on the criterion of work.
After you have purchased a trimmer and began to use it intensively, at some point the question of changing the line will arise, since this is the most wearing element in the tool, the rich operation of the trimmer will lead to frequent replacement of consumables.
Why does the line fly off the trimmer
The line holder on the trimmer has broken. What to do?
The line holder on the trimmer has broken. What to do?
The line holder on the trimmer has broken. The line feed system from the spool trimmer is closed and the line is on why? Reply. What to do?
The line holder on the trimmer has broken. What to do?
How to thread the line into the trimmer spool. Detailed Trimmer Guide
Complete instructions for working with the trimmer. Councils for the choice of a fishing line. How to insert line into the trimmer spool
But electric and gasoline scythes were originally varieties of lawn mowers, however, with the advent of the trimmer, these designs have ceased to be in demand and are now rarely produced, and their names have passed to trimmers. most people are more accustomed to call this tool that way.
Why Line Doesn’t Come Out of the Trimmer Reel
How to make a do-it-yourself trimmer coil
The trimmer reel cuts the grass, but with all this it wears out and often asks for a change. In the near future, motorcycle or electric scythes have become widespread. The main working element of such a garden tool are spools with a fishing line tucked inside. Therefore, it is very important to choose a high-quality element so as not to waste money in vain, because the device is quite expensive. To reduce the cost of maintenance, lawn mowers can learn to fill the forest in the trimmer reel without the help of others.
Often, manufacturers of power tools do not complete their products with a number of devices necessary or necessary for operation, offering to purchase them separately (as an additional option). With a lawn mower reel, the situation is different: since this is the main working element of a garden tool, all trimmers are supplied with it, but the quality of the reel from the scythe kit leaves much to be desired.
The consumer has to receive the reel separately. this is made to increase sales and generate additional profit for manufacturers.
Below are questions about what a trimmer is, what coils are and how to stick and fix the fishing line without the help of others.
Line does not extend automatically
If the line does not lengthen when you lightly hit the trimmer button on the ground, then the reasons for this may be the following.
Option 1. a bite has occurred, i.e. clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually appears if the user has been winding the line on the reel unevenly, with intersecting turns, or winding it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which inter-turn clamping of the fishing line is possible. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The line may not come out when hitting the ground if the ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is required to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the line manually, after pressing the button.
Option 3. the line is brazed inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to lock and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during prolonged operation of the unit, hitting the line against hard objects.
- In the first case, third-party cord can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that cannot withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, you should give preference to “branded” lines.
- But, if you nevertheless purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it is often soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord into the reel, wet it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering the turns of the fishing line together.
- Also, the line can be soldered if it hits a hard object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.) during mowing. As a result, it stretches slightly and is pulled back into the head at high speed. From friction, the cord heats up, and its turns stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer spool and rewind the line.
DIY trimmer coil repair
The trimmer, whether petrol or electric, is the only solution for cutting grass in hard-to-reach places that a wheeled lawnmower cannot handle. As a cutting tool in trimmers, metal knives or special fishing line are used, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads become unusable over time during operation. Some malfunctions can be eliminated by hand, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
The cord lengthens spontaneously
There are times when the trimmer user notices a very fast line flow. However, he never hit the ground with a button to lengthen the line. The reason for the fact that the line spontaneously lengthens, being cut on a special knife on the casing of the device, may be the absence of a spring in the mowing head. Often novice users of mowers, trying to load the line into the reel, forget to install the pressure spring in the head, or even lose it when opening the cover, and in the future, do not even suspect of its existence.
Also, the line can be lengthened without using a button if the spring is loose. If checking the spring has confirmed this fact, then several washers must be placed under it in order to enhance its clamping properties.
Trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the Husqvarna (Husqvarna) semi-automatic trimmer head.
This type of head is found on most lawn mowers and trimmers such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feed;
- bobbin (spool) into which the line is tucked;
- eyes. through them the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Major coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often face a problem with the semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the line does not lengthen automatically;
- the cord spontaneously comes out of the reel.
How to remove the spool and replace the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, find themselves in confusion, bordering on panic, when they need to change the cutting tool or line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Stop the mowers engine or power off the trimmer before threading the line into the spool to avoid injury from accidental starting rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should be aware that the thread on the shaft is left-handed. Therefore, turn the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached with clips. To remove it, you will need to sink these clips into the case, pressing the edges of the cover. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, then the disassembly of the attachment should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut off the required amount of line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the same diameter as indicated in the instructions for the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum line diameter as this will result in increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the midpoint of the line by folding it in half. You will have a loop.
- Special grooves are cut inside the coil (there may be holes). Insert a loop of line into this groove.
- Wind the line around the spool by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to fill in the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlap and with good tension. When winding is complete, leave free ends of the line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Remember to insert the spring and washer (if equipped) before final assembly of the accessory. Place the spool in the body and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
- Screw the adapter back onto the gearbox shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. You will need to twist the trimmer coil to the left (counter-clockwise).
Is it possible to make a coil for a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or PCB and draw a circle about 14 cm in diameter on it.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or metal saw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on it before installing the disc on the shaft.
- Small corners can be screwed on the edges of the disc or 1-2 holes can be made on opposite sides. They will serve for refueling the fishing line in them.
- Several screws can be screwed into the plywood to secure the line.
This homemade mowing head is secured to the shaft with a nut. It will not work to tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft. To replace the cord, it will be enough to loosen the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, the mowing attachment for attaching the fishing line to it can be made of metal sheet. How to do this can be understood from the following video.