Why Trimmer Poor Starts
Gas Trimmer Does Not Start. Causes
Many garden tools are useful and effective, but there are times when equipment refuses to work. Among them was a trimmer that can mow a miniature lawn and huge lawns.
Reasons why a gas trimmer will not start
There are various reasons why a gas trimmer will not start:
- The most common cause for breakage lies in the wrong choice of fuel. Often, too economical users of the device pour something dubious into the tank, but not fuel with a normal octane rating. Low-quality fuel, which was kept in a plastic canister for a long time, has a terrifying effect. A device that has lost operability for this reason is sent to a complete bulkhead of the mechanism.
- There is another common situation when a gas trimmer starts and stalls. The problem may be in the spark plug or air filter. In the first case, after the inspection, it turns out that the candle is “cast”. This happens even if it was recently wiped and dried. If everything is in order with a candle, then it is worthwhile to inspect the air filter. Most often it is oily and needs to be replaced. If the device continues to refuse to start, the problem lies either in a faulty ignition coil or in a clogged muffler.
- The device can deteriorate not only due to poor-quality fuel, but also due to improper handling. For example, the fuel is checked, there is a spark, but the device does not start. The cause may be a gas-filled candle. To remedy the situation, you just need to turn out the candle, wipe, dry and check for performance.
- Sometimes this situation also develops. The gas trimmer does not start when the candle is dry. Then it is necessary to lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly moist, otherwise there will be nothing to catch fire.
- Often the owners of the device find themselves in a situation where the gas trimmer does not start up hot. Some masters claim that the problem lies in the ignition coil. Therefore, it must be changed, and the device will work. But the problem may be in overheating of the engine, especially if a reinforced knife such as a circular saw was attached to the device. To avoid such situations, you should carefully study the instructions, which specifically describe what types of disks can be installed.
Reasons when a new gas trimmer does not start may be the most commonplace, for example, inability to use the device. If the user stores it correctly, uses high-quality fuel and does not leave gasoline in the trimmer, then the unit will serve faithfully for a long time.
Garlic can be propagated not only with cloves, but also with air bulbs, which ripen in the arrows. The seed method allows not only to save seed, but also to completely preserve the varietal characteristics of the mother plant. The main thing is to choose the right time for collecting seeds.
Modern lawn mowing technology allows you to take care of the adjacent area with minimal effort. Of course, subject to the proper operation of the garden tool. And perhaps the most important question in working with garden trimmers is how to properly refill a fishing line.
Nasturtium is a beautiful and useful flower, often found in the gardens of domestic summer residents. One of the advantages of this flower is its unpretentiousness and ease of reproduction. Once you have bought the seeds of nasturtium, all subsequent years you can easily procure them yourself.
Technique in the hands of an attentive and competent person works many times longer. If you decide to get a grass trimmer, be sure to study the issue of mixing gasoline with oil. This will avoid damage and extend the life of your purchase.
Trimmer Does Not Start
Like any technique, trimmers are prone to various breakdowns. Often at the beginning of the summer season, owners of such an instrument complain that the trimmer does not start, and it takes a long time to look for the cause of the malfunction.
For those who have recently purchased a trimmer and are still on the “you” with this technique, information on why the trimmer does not start and what to do in this case will be useful. So, let’s find out what could be the reason for this.
Gas Trimmer Does Not Start. 10 Possible Causes
Before trying to independently set up the tool, carefully read the manual for its operation. Perhaps the information contained in it will lead you to one or another thought. Otherwise, you will have to look for the cause of the malfunction by the selection method. It may be one of the following:
- The toggle switch on the bar is not translated to the “On” position. This is one of the elementary actions, but sometimes beginners forget to turn on the tool before starting it.
- Similar errors include the lack of fuel in the tank. If the fuel runs out, but you forgot about it, just fill the tank (usually located near the engine) with AI-92 gasoline.
- Lack, improper mixture or wrong proportion of engine oil. Ideally, not more than 50 g of oil should be added regularly. This will provide additional lubrication and will keep the engine of your trimmer in working condition. Also keep in mind that there are different types of oil (“synthetics”, “semi-synthetics”, “mineral water”). They all affect the mechanism in different ways.
- If the trimmer does not start after winter, drain the remaining fuel in the gas tank and replace it with fresh fuel. This is especially true for small, low-power trimmers with small motors that are sensitive to poor-quality mixes. In addition, during the winter, sediment may form at the bottom of the gas tank, which causes problems with the operation of the device.
- Excessive pumping of fuel can also be one of the reasons that the trimmer stalled and does not start. When the air damper is closed, the candle is filled with fuel. It should be unscrewed and dried, and then inserted in its place and try to start the engine, holding the trigger of gas. It is advisable to check it beforehand for the presence of a spark between the electrodes. If there is no spark, the candle should be replaced.
- Problems with the filter. If your trimmer does not start well, remove the air filter and run the tool without it. If everything worked out. The filter should be replaced with a new one. As an option, thoroughly clean and blow through the old one, however, sooner or later you will have to make a replacement.
- Is the trimmer dead and won’t start? Try to clean the so-called breather. An element designed to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. Cleaning can be done with a regular long needle. A clogged breather often causes a malfunction.
- Knives have been removed from the machine. Some models will not work under this condition.
- Violation of tightness. This can be checked using a manometer. If the pressure starts to drop, you should determine which part of the carburetor is faulty. Most often, the carburetor gasket wears out.
- Sometimes after a long period of work, you may notice that the trimmer is overheated and will not start. First, you should know that you should definitely take breaks. The amount of continuous time recommended for this model should be indicated in the instructions. Also, the problem of overheating can lie in a faulty ignition coil or in an air cooling system that prevents overheating.
If none of these actions gives a result, you should contact a repair shop or service center.
Perhaps every summer resident who has a trimmer, at least once in his life, faced with a situation where the tool organized a “strike”. For example, it started badly or started to stall when you press the gas. What to do in the latter case will tell the article.
In the process of construction work, there are situations when it is necessary to cut sheet metal. A convenient tool such as lever scissors designed for curly and straight cutting will help to cope with this problem. Their characteristics are described in this article.
As a rule, ordinary garden grass trimmers are used with fishing line. But if you need to mow young growth of bushes or trees or very hard grass, you cannot do without a disk trimmer. Read about trimmer discs in the article.
Many beginning seamstresses pay a lot of attention to the choice of a sewing machine, thread and fabric, and at the same time completely forget about scissors. But high-quality scissors are among the basic tools of the tailor. Read more about them in our article.
The main malfunctions of the trim tabs: does not start, vibrates strongly, heats up during operation
The trimmer, both electric and with an internal combustion engine (ICE), is an indispensable tool in the summer and autumn for owners of cottages and private houses. With its help weeds, small bushes are easily removed and the lawn is trimmed. But, like any technique, trimmers fail at the most inopportune moment. To fix the malfunction with your own hands, the user of this technique must first determine the cause of their occurrence.
The main malfunctions of gasoline and electric trimmers
With lawn mowers and an electric trimmer, if you do not consider breakdowns associated with the boom and mowing head, faults mainly occur in the engine area.
Damage to gas trimmers
Typical breakdowns of the gas trimmer, which are most often encountered by the owners of this unit, are as follows:
- Engine breakdown;
- Problems with the carburetor;
- Fuel supply problems;
- Muffler malfunction;
- Gearbox breakdown;
- The starter is broken;
- Problems with the air filter;
- Clogged breather on a gas tank.
Faulty electrical trimmers
Since the device of the electric mower is much simpler than the mototrimmer, there are few reasons for its failure.
It should be noted that the elimination of some of them is better to entrust to a specialist.
Basically, the trimmer stops working normally in the following cases:
- Malfunction of an electric cable;
- Faulty control button;
- Burned-out motor stator winding;
- Open contact on the engine.
Why doesn’t the gas trimmer start
The reasons why the gas trimmer stopped turning on may be different, therefore, a phased diagnosis of the device is required.
Fuel tank (fuel quality)
Remember that always before starting the unit a check is required on the availability and quality of fuel. In this case, do not be greedy and save money, as well as “be smart” about the amount of added oil. Everything must be done according to the manual attached to the device, since when the piston group fails, its replacement will cost about 70% of the total cost of the trimmer. Refuel with the expectation that you will completely use it up when doing work. The gasoline remaining in the tank after a while loses its properties and can harm the engine. Therefore, do not prepare the mixture for future use and in large quantities. If the lawn mowing does not start well, try to drain the “old” fuel from the tank, and fill it with a freshly prepared mixture.
Important! Filling the device with fuel whose origin is unknown is fraught with negative consequences. Gasoline must be of high quality, purchased at a gas station, and its brand must not be lower than AI-95.
Candle and candle channel
So, you changed the fuel, but nothing has changed, and the trimmer still does not start. In this case, it is worth checking the candle channel: does it throw it with a combustible mixture. Often users put the choke in the “OFF” position at start-up, and when the engine starts, do not put it in the “ON” position, after which it stalls. Further, an attempt to re-start the ICE leads to the fact that gasoline fills the candle, and the start becomes impossible. To diagnose and resolve a possible problem in this node, do the following:
- It is necessary to unscrew the spark plug, wipe it well and dry it. When installing the spark plug in the engine cylinder, it should be dry.
- Drain the accumulated fuel from the combustion chamber. This is done through the hole from which you unscrewed the candle.
- If there is carbon deposits on the electrodes of the candle, it must be removed either with a thin file or a nail file.
- Do not forget to set the gap between its electrodes before replacing the part. The clearance on the candle should be 1 mm. As a probe to check the gap, you can use a coin.
- Next, assemble the unit, read the start instructions and try to start the engine again.
If the engine does not start, then you will need to check the spark. For this:
- Unscrew the candle;
- Put a cap on the high-voltage wire on it;
- Touch the metal part of it to the cylinder body (to ensure contact, you can insert a pipe wrench) as shown in the figure below;
- Pull on the start cord so that a few revolutions of the engine occur.
Normally, at each stroke of the piston, a spark should slip between the electrode electrodes. If there is a spark, then the reason that the engine does not start should be sought in other nodes of the device.
To better understand the process of how to test a candle for a spark, you can use this, where the test is shown on the example of the Soyuz lawn mowers.
If there is no spark, then first check the cable connecting the candle to the coil. Perhaps the reason is in it. You can call it using the tester. If an open circuit is detected, a high-voltage wire will need to be replaced.
Also, the cause that the spark disappeared may be a malfunction of the ignition coil (magneto). The figure below shows what the coil (magneto) looks like from the Patriot (Patriot) petrol trimmer.
To eliminate the malfunction, you will need to use a tester to check the magneto trimmer, namely, its primary and secondary windings. On the primary winding, the resistance should be in the range of 0.4 to 2.0 ohms. If the device shows 0, it means that a short circuit has occurred in the winding, and if infinity is a clear sign of an open circuit. The resistance on the secondary winding should be in the range of 6 to 8 kOhm.
On some coils, it can reach 15 kOhm.
If your lawn mower does not start well or dies immediately after starting, you should pay attention to the air filter, as it may be clogged, as a result of which air does not enter the combustion chamber and ignition of the fuel does not occur. To check if the filter is in the case, remove it and try to start the engine. If he earned, then the reason is found. The filter needs to be replaced or rinsed well and dried before installation. In the event that you find oil in the air filter, it must be washed with gasoline, squeezed well and dried for at least 2 hours before installing in place.
If the unit still does not start when the air filter is removed, it is recommended to check the fuel filter.
This filter cleans the fuel of possible contaminants. If it is clogged, then gasoline does not enter the cylinder, and, accordingly, the unit does not work or stalls after starting. The fuel filter is located at the end of the intake hose, which is located inside the fuel tank. To get to the filter, you need to remove the plug with the tubes coming out of it.
When removing the plug, the intake hose may disconnect and remain in the tank. It is removed with tweezers.
Next, remove the old fuel filter from the hose and put on it a new one, purchased in advance. You can also clean the fuel filter if you do not have a new one. The filter must be secured to the hose with a spring clip.
Install the intake pipe into the cork and insert the latter into the tank.
It should be noted that in some trimmer models the intake hose is not located on the cork, but inside the tank. You can remove it with tweezers or a hook bent from a wire.
Breather is a check valve, which is designed to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. If it is clogged and does not allow air to flow towards the tank, then a vacuum forms inside the fuel tank and the fuel stops entering the carburetor. To check the serviceability of the valve, remove the hose that goes from the tank to the carburetor. If gas does not flow from the tank, then the breather is clogged.
Users of trimmers often wonder: where is the breather? This valve is usually located in the gas tank cap and looks like the following figure.
Cleaning the breather is very simple: disassemble the valve and flush all its components. In some lawn mowers, this valve may be located directly on the fuel tank. You won’t be able to find it right away, since it is hidden from view under the starter housing. Such a breather is cleaned with a regular needle.
The reason that the trimmer has significantly lost power, and when trying to increase the engine speed, it picks them up slowly, is often a clogging of the exhaust channel through which exhaust gases exit the combustion chamber.
It is necessary to remove the muffler so that no burner gets inside the cylinder. Next, clean the exhaust channel of carbon deposits.
This must be done very carefully, preventing carbon deposits from entering the combustion chamber.
After this procedure, the weak power of the unit and the slow set of rotation speed of the mowing head will no longer upset you.
If the compression is insufficient, then starting the engine, in most cases, will fail. To check the compression, you can use a car compressor.
- Unscrew the candle from the engine cylinder.
- Screw the compressometer into its place.
- Start yanking the starter cord the way you do when you start lawn mowing. Do this until the arrow on the measuring device stops moving in the direction of increase. This value will also show the compression force of this engine.
What compression should be? Normally, the compression should be at least 8 kg / cm2. Although even at 8 kg / cm2, some engines do not have idle and stall, since the fuel is not adequately pumped. If your lawn mower does not swing above 8 kg / cm2, you will have to check the cylinder, piston and rings.
Also, poor compression can be due to a loosely screwed carburetor. Check if he is staggering. If so, tighten the fasteners that hold it in place. Also, if the carburetor is poorly bolted, you will notice that gasoline is dripping during operation.
Electric trimmer vibrates
Many users of mowers noticed that some time after the device started to work, it begins to vibrate violently. On some trimmers, mainly in more expensive models, an anti-vibration system is installed in the form of shock absorbers located between the engine and the bar. But in some cases even she does not save from strong vibration. The reason that a strong vibration appears in the trimmer may be a small amount or a complete lack of lubrication on a rigid or flexible shaft located inside the apparatus rod.
Replacing the grease on the hard shaft is as follows:
- Unscrew the gearbox located at the bottom of the bar;
- After removing the gearbox, you will see the end of the shaft, for which you must pull to remove the part;
- After removing the shaft, it is necessary to grease it with plenty of special lubricant “CV joint-4” or regular. “Litol-24”;
- Apply a small amount of grease to the shaft and evenly lubricate it along the entire length of the part, including the splines at the ends of the rod (if they work together, the shaft will have to be replaced);
- After lubrication, reinsert the shaft into the rod and put the gearbox back in place.
Lubricate the flexible shaft as follows:
- Unscrew and remove the mowing head;
- Remove the rod from the electric motor by unscrewing a pair of bolts;
- Pull the flexible cable out of the bar;
- Grease the cable with the entire length.
This is done as follows: first you need to lubricate the end of the cable, and then insert it into the rod, after which, as it moves inside the pipe, lubricate the part and distribute it evenly on the surface. Then insert the shaft with the flexible shaft into the electric motor and secure it.
In case the grease did not help, and the vibration continues to appear, it will be necessary to change the flexible shaft.
The trimmer is very hot
Trimmer overheating can occur for many reasons:
- Gasoline does not have the octane rating indicated in the instructions for the unit;
- The proportions of gasoline and oil were not observed during the preparation of the fuel mixture;
- A mixture of fuel with oil was prepared long ago (the mixture cannot be stored for more than 2 weeks);
- The trimmer works beyond the prescribed time;
- A low-power trimmer is used on thick and hard grass, the device works with overload and quickly heats up;
- Shifted towards the bar or the cassette lid stuck.
The latter happens if you install a mowing head that is not suitable for this unit, or when the axis moves inside the boom. These changes make rotation difficult, the load on the engine increases, and it overheats.
Does the gas trimmer not start? Reasons and solutions for example Elitech T750
In general, such a conversation should start with the fact that after buying a garden gasoline tool it would be better to first familiarize yourself with the instructions attached to it. Then many problems could have been avoided. But since this happened the gas trimmer does not start, then we must look for sources of inoperability. And in this article we will consider the main reasons why the trimmer does not start with the example of the Elitech T750 model, as well as describe general recommendations for the operation of such a tool.
Start with the banal! We will figure out how to properly start a gas trimmer. It may be that the reason lies precisely here.
First you need to bring the red toggle switch on the trimmer bar to position “I”. This means turning on the power. Then you need to switch the fuel supply lever on the carburetor and use the “suction” button of fuel (similar to a pipette, located on the carburetor). This is necessary to supply gasoline to the engine. Return the fuel supply lever to its original position. Finally, sharply pull the starter handle toward you. The trimmer should work. Try several times if the first time fails. If after such manipulations the situation has not changed and the gas trimmer does not start, then you should first examine it yourself before leading to the service center. There are two main reasons why a garden trimmer will not start:
- Violation of the power circuit.
- There is no fuel.
- Let’s start with the ignition problems. In most cases, it is caused by the need to change the spark plug in the engine. It is done like this:
- First of all, we must take care of security measures, make sure that the trimmer is turned off. We bring the above toggle switch to the “STOP” position.
- Then remove the rubber protection from the plug and the wiring terminal. Using a special candle key, we unscrew the spark plug and replace it.
- After that, we assemble the device and carry out the procedure for trimming the trimmer described above.
The second reason the garden tool doesn’t work is because the fuel has run out. On the Elinech T750, a fuel tank is located near the motor, but on most trimmers it is there. We unscrew the cap from the tank and fill it with gasoline (the most optimal option is the AI-92, it is inexpensive and does not clog the carburetor like the AI-76). Do not forget to add special engine oil to the tank, just 50 grams per gas tank is enough, without it the motor will begin to “sneeze” and will quickly become worthless. After we close the tank with a cap, wipe the surface of the trimmer and our hands with a dry cloth. We also do the above manipulations to turn on the garden tool.
If the gas trimmer does not start as before, then it makes sense to return it for repair. And the reason for this decision is simple. If you do not have the appropriate skills, repairing the equipment is almost impossible.
In order for the tool to serve as long as possible and there are no such malfunctions, you should, first of all, familiarize yourself with the instruction manual for the trimmer. Also, pay special attention to the operating time of the engine at the trimmer. Take a short break every 15 minutes of operation and, finally, properly care for the tool, wipe it after work, lubricate it with graphite grease. Observing such simple rules, you can significantly increase the life of the tool and it is quite possible that you do not have to look for reasons why the gas trimmer will not start.
24,114 total views, 9 views today