Working with a circular saw on wood
Reducer housing gets very hot
Rapid heating of the gearbox occurs if the shaft bearing has become unusable, on which the gear is fixed and the equipment is attached. In this case, in addition to heating, you can replace the appearance of extraneous noise in this unit of the device. It is necessary to disassemble the gearbox and change the bearing. Also, the gearbox will warm up if there is not enough lubricant in it or it is completely absent.
How to repair a circular with your own hands
A circular hand saw is a fairly practical tool with which you can quickly cut a piece of wood of any length and width along or across, cut any sheet material on a wood basis. In addition, after changing the equipment with a circular saw, you can cut plastic, metal corrugated board and corrugated sheet. Despite the simplicity of design and high reliability of this unit, it is susceptible to breakdowns, like any power tool. But in most cases, you can repair a circular saw yourself at home.
Engine is warming up
The machine may become extremely hot, for example, when using it intensively, when cutting hard wood or using a saw blade with a large number of teeth, when the load on the engine increases significantly. Also cause overheating of the motor, malfunctions associated with the stator and armature windings, which are eliminated only in the service center.
Saw not picking up power
If, while using the unit, you notice a drop in its power, then it is first recommended to check the voltage level in the network. Sometimes even a slight drop can negatively affect the power of the power tool.
Also, a loss of power can be observed with wear of the armature bearings or the gearbox bearing. In this case, extraneous noises will be heard that were not previously characteristic of this unit. By their localization, you can determine where the problem bearing is located. in the gearbox or engine. To replace the bearings, you will need to disassemble the saw blade. How to do this was described above.
If during the operation of the unit, extraneous noise is not heard, and the engine still develops speed and power poorly, then pay attention to its manifold. You can usually see a circular spark (ring of fire) on it. This can be due to the turn-to-turn closure of the armature coil or the accumulation of dirt between the collector lamellas.
Open the motor housing and carefully inspect the manifold (the place where the brush electrodes slide). It consists of parallel strips (lamellas). There is a small gap between them. When this gap is clogged with conductive graphite dust formed during wear of the brushes, a short circuit occurs between the lamellas, and a burning ring appears around them.
The problem will be solved by replacing worn brushes and cleaning the gaps between the lamellas with a toothbrush, cotton wool and alcohol, followed by polishing the plates with fine sandpaper.
In some cases, a power drop can be caused by a faulty start button. If a tester check has confirmed its failure, then the part should be replaced with a new one, since it cannot be repaired.
Main malfunctions and their symptoms
Typical malfunctions of hand-held circulars include the following situations.
- The saw does not start. The mains cable, power plug, start button or electric brushes may be defective.
- The engine of the instrument is very hot. Such symptoms may be the result of an inter-turn short circuit (breakage) in the armature or stator coils, as well as an excessively intensive mode of operation of the unit.
- The gearbox of the apparatus is overheating. Overheating of this unit may occur due to bearing failure or lack of lubrication on the gears.
- The brushes sparkle. This is usually due to excessive wear and tear.
- A burning ring is visible around the engine manifold. If, during operation of the unit, a circular spark is observed around the engine manifold, then its appearance can cause a malfunction of the armature winding or clogging of the space between the collector lamellas with graphite dust.
- The unit does not develop the required power. The drop in power may be due to a drop in voltage in the network, malfunction of the motor windings, wear of the electric brushes, malfunction of the start button.
- During the operation of the unit, grinding and other extraneous sounds are heard. These symptoms can be caused by broken gear teeth or bearing malfunction.
- The engine is humming but the unit is not running. A jam may have occurred in the gearbox.
The device and principle of operation of a circular saw
A hand-held circular saw differs from a miter saw in the absence of a bed with a rotary table, as well as in the placement of the handle. But in general, both models are similar in internal structure, principle of operation and do not differ in the complexity of the design. The following figure shows the device of a hand-held circular saw.
The unit includes the following main elements.
- Upper protective casing with an opening for ejection of sawdust.
- The housing in which the electric motor and the start button are located. Some saw models can operate on rechargeable batteries. In this case, the battery pack is also placed on the case.
- Lower (movable) protective cover that automatically closes the cutting element after it leaves the workpiece.
- Saw blade. Fastened to the gearbox shaft with a nut or bolt.
- Parallel stop. Allows you to make an even cut without the use of additional devices.
- Base plate (base) of the unit. Thanks to it, the tool is installed on the workpiece or rail at different angles.
- Depth adjuster. It can be used to adjust the overhang of the saw blade relative to the base plate.
- Sole angle adjuster. Allows you to tilt the unit for cutting at an angle.
This tool works according to the following principle. Mains or battery power is supplied to the start button, which breaks the circuit. When you press the start button, the current begins to flow to the electric motor. Below is the wiring diagram of the unit.
The electric motor starts and transfers the rotary motion through the gearbox to the saw blade. The unit is installed using a soleplate on a workpiece or a guide rail, after which the process of both longitudinal and transverse sawing is performed.
Almost all malfunctions of electric circular saws cannot be eliminated without disassembling the device partially or completely. Complete disassembly of an electric hand saw using the example of the Interskol unit is performed in the following order.
- Unscrew the angle and depth adjusting screws attached to the foot of the machine.
- Press the gearbox shaft stop button and use the hex wrench to unscrew the bolt holding the saw blade.
- Pulling the lower guard to the side, remove the circular disc.
- To remove the support sole, first unscrew the fasteners on its underside.
- Next, using two screwdrivers, remove the Sieger ring, which locks the rod on which the sole turns, to change the angle.
Insert a screwdriver into the gap between the body of the shield and the sole, then push it aside and remove.
Next, disconnect the unit’s gearbox by unscrewing 2 screws.
Removing one half of the handle, you will see the soft start module and the start button.
8 ESSENTIAL Circular Saw Tips for the Beginner.
This concludes the complete disassembly of the circular saw.
Brushes are burning
Strong sparking from under the brushes is caused by excessive wear, when the spring can no longer press the electrodes against the collector with the required force. To replace the brushes, you need to disconnect the motor cover or remove them through the special holes in the motor housing (depending on the saw model).
An example of using household and professional tools
If you are looking for a handheld circular saw, which one to choose, you can decide by reading the guidelines below. If you use a professional model, then in 1.5 hours of continuous work you will be able to cut such a number of chipboard blanks, which will be enough to assemble 4 cabinets. If you use a conventional household model, then the same work will take 2 times longer. The quality will remain at its best, but the cost of a professional tool will be 2 times higher.
Saw or “angle grinder”?
Sometimes an angle grinder for wood (an angle grinder, or “angle grinder”) equipped with a small diameter saw blade is used as an alternative to a circular saw. In principle, such a solution makes sense, but only for performing individual operations.
If you have to cut a lot and often, then electric circular saws for wood demonstrate an advantage in a number of parameters:
- Work productivity increases.
- Reduces fatigue, since the saw does not need to be held during operation. it rests on a board or workbench with the sole.
- The noise and vibration levels will also be slightly lower.
- The presence of guides allows you to accurately observe the cutting angle.
- the cutting line is smooth and clean.
- The main advantage is the safety of work: almost all the moving parts of the circular saws are hidden inside the body, while the “angle grinder” has a disc protected only by a shield from the worker’s side (it is good if this shield is there and if it was not removed during the “modernization”).
For some operations, you can also use a standard “angle grinder”
However, the grinder also has advantages:
- Some models are lightweight, so they can be operated with one hand.
- The small dimensions of the device itself allow manipulation in hard-to-reach places.
- The price of the device is on average lower than that of a circular saw, but here it all depends on the parameters of the tool.
And yet, consider the “angle grinder” as a complete replacement for the saw is not worth it. You can make several cuts with it, but for construction or furniture work, you definitely need an easel or hand-held circular saw for wood.
A circular saw. How to cut it
- Set the minimum depth of cut by adjusting the blade downward.
- Fit the guide to the size of the part by measuring the length from the edge of the blade to the edge of the foot. Mark up the material.
- Make the initial cut 3-5 mm.
- Continue sawing without stopping all the way through the blade.
- Use duct tape at the cut to avoid chipping.
Not a bad hand-held circular saw. How to choose a circular saw: tips and advice
For about 30 years, the circular saw was found only at sawmills. Many private craftsmen are already thinking about which model of such equipment to choose. If you also decide to acquire a similar device, then it is important to consider the main characteristics, among which, for example, a power supply.
Tips on choosing a professional saw or a household saw
Quite often, a hand-held circular saw is required during construction work. We recommend that you read the selection tips before making a purchase. The above model is a powerful saw that can be used to cut large pieces of wood and other materials. The model is designed for active operation, is highly durable and has a wide range of functions that ensure safety during operation. How to choose a hand-held circular saw? The parameters are the decisive criterion. Below we will talk about them in more detail.
Saw brand DP-190/1600 M
This model of power tool is used for sawing a variety of materials, including planks, laminate and plywood.
The maximum possible cutting depth with this circular saw is 63 mm. The model is equipped with a 1600 W motor and is designed to work with a 190 mm disc. Safe and comfortable work with the saw is provided by a locking mechanism against accidental activation, a spindle lock and an adjustment of the cutting angle.
This part of the saw is one of the most important, as the movement and movement of the workpiece depends on it. With a properly functioning guide bar that slides easily and does not jam, you can be sure that any material will be processed properly.
Device and saw blades
Structurally, these saws do not differ from most similar devices. This tool looks like a steel disc equipped with special teeth, which is connected to the motor that drives it. Depending on the configuration, some models may contain different types of blades, a device for removing sawdust, etc. There are also tabletop models for use in industrial production, in particular, for active cutting of plexiglass products.
Preparing to saw with these saws requires choosing the right blades. So, for cutting plexiglass, it is recommended to choose a consumable with a density of teeth of at least two per one centimeter. It is desirable that the blade has a carbide coating to obtain the smoothest possible edge.
Circular saw for wood Interskol
The choice of devices for cutting materials is wide enough today. For this purpose, you can use laser cutters, hacksaws, and many other technological devices. But even with such a wide variety of sawing devices, circular saws are still considered the most practical. Their main advantage is that they allow you to cut in a straight line quickly and without much effort.
- Description of the saw Interskol
- How to cut
- Device and saw blades
- Stationary saw
- Features and Benefits
- Guide rail
- Tabletop or manual
In the domestic market, these saws are offered in a wide range. The products from the Russian manufacturer Interskol are well-known. It is the saws under this brand that are preferred by most of our compatriots. This choice is also explained by the fact that these saws are suitable for sawing various types of materials.
Circular saws differ from each other in terms of power. For the products of the manufacturer in question, this parameter can have the following values - 1200, 1600, 1900, 2000 W and others. So, if the device has a power of 1600 m or 2000 m in the description, it follows that the power of the model is 1600 or 2000 W, respectively. For example, according to the name of the saw DP 165 1200, it is easy to guess that a 1200 W or 1.2 kW motor is used in the configuration of this power tool.
How to cut
Sawing materials using the Interskol saw follows the same algorithm as in the case of any other similar tool. However, there are a number of important points that must be taken into account while working.
Some materials can get very hot during sawing, especially if it becomes necessary to cut the plexiglass. This problem is solved by cooling the working surface with ordinary water, which avoids melting the edges of the saw cut. A proven practice is to apply wax or soap to the blade surface to improve cutting performance.
Today, the market offers not only manual, but also stationary varieties. The difference between them is that the latter have a larger support area, large dimensions and low mobility. However, for use in industrial production, this is the most convenient option.
One of the important working units in the construction of the saw. The efficiency and reliability of the engine depends on it. In terms of its design, the anchor is a rather small piece. However, if this seemingly insignificant element fails, then the entire machine will have to be completely repaired. over, in order to disassemble the saw and pull out the anchor, you will have to seriously try. But you can easily avoid frequent breakdowns of this element if you choose from models that use a reliable anchor.