Chainsaw oil dilution ratio
Stihl HP Review
Stihl HP is a high quality chainsaw lubricant designed to lubricate internal engine parts during engine operation. It is made on a mineral basis and has good combustion performance (it has a low level of emission of harmful substances during combustion).
Original Stihl HP is red and sold in Stihl branded packaging.
It comes in several packaging options, the most popular of which is a one liter bottle with a built-in dispenser. You can also find Stihl HP in cans of five, ten and fifty-five liters.
The smallest package of Stihl HP, which is convenient to use in cases where you need to prepare only one liter of fuel mixture, is a twenty-gram plastic bottle.
Also, the company produces one hundred gram bottles of Stihl HP, which can be used to prepare five liters of fuel mixture.
According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, Stihl HP can be used to mix for any two-stroke engine.
The shelf life, if stored in a closed container, is 4 years.
ForestPlus mineral oil for chain lubrication is a quality product that creates a reliable film on the bar and on the chain links, which is well retained even at maximum chain speeds.
Packaged in three types of containers, a liter bottle and cans of five and twenty liters.
What Mix Ratio & 2-Stroke Oil I Prefer To Use
ForestPlus has the lowest shelf life of the Stihl range at just three years when stored properly.
Which Stihl oil to choose for a chainsaw
Any two-stroke engine of a chainsaw runs on a mixture of gasoline and oil, respectively, how long it will last depends on the quality and correct mixture of these components. Also, in chainsaws, it is necessary to lubricate the bar and chain, and the quality of the lubricant is not the last factor affecting the duration of use of these parts of the chainsaw. In this article, we will talk about the oils that Stihl produces and recommends for use not only on chainsaws of its own production.
- Stihl lubricant for two-stroke engines
- Stihl HP Review
- Stihl HP Ultra Review
- HP Super
- Mixing ratio
- Which oil to choose
- Stihl chain oil (overview of oils)
- BioPlus chain oil overview
- What oil to choose for the chain
- How to tell fake Stihl oil
What oil to choose for the chain
The best option for chain lubrication oil is BioPlus and should be chosen by those who use a chainsaw from time to time. Optimum price and quality of BioPlus make it the most popular chain oil in the Stihl range.
It is also worth remembering that BioPlus does not harm the environment, since it is made on a plant basis and decomposes in the shortest possible time, which is also important when working with a chainsaw on your own site.
Stihl chain oil (overview of oils)
The Stihl range of chain lubricating oils comprises three types of products:
- BioPlus. for chains;
When working, it is necessary to use the type of lubricant that best suits the conditions and duration of work. Let’s consider each of the oils for the Stihl chain in more detail.
SynthPlus is a semi-synthetic oil that retains its properties even under the most severe conditions. It is able to maintain performance at minus 25 degrees. SynthPlus mixes well with BioPlus, making it easy to switch from one oil type to another.
SynthPlus has a long shelf life, which, if properly stored, reaches seven years. SynthPlus oil color, brown.
Stihl SynthPlus is packaged in containers of the same capacity as BioPlus.
How to tell fake Stihl oil
Attackers do not miss the opportunity to make money selling counterfeit products of a well-known brand. Stihl oil is no exception. The most common counterfeit Stihl HP is due to the highest sales of Stihl lubricants.
In order to distinguish a fake from an original, the Stihl company has issued a special brochure on which it has recorded all the main differences between the original and the fake.
Also, we invite you to watch a video, in which, using a specific example, it is shown how the packaging of high-quality Stihl oil should look like and how to distinguish a fake.
Mixing ratio for “Stihl
The German family-owned company Stihl has production facilities in many countries around the world. The office is located in Waiblingen. Among the assortment produced for the needs of forestry, a pride of place is taken by means of small mechanization.
Today the Stihl chainsaw has entered a liquid golden age:
The manufacturer has set the standard for oil dilution at a ratio of 1:50. The proposed proportion establishes the possibility of diluting 1 part of oil in 50 parts of gasoline. Or in a ratio of 1:40.
The calculation is simple. We know that 1 liter of flammable liquid equals 1000 milliliters. Divide the value by 50, we get 20 milliliters of oil. According to a similar algorithm, its volume is determined, recommended in a ratio of 1:40. Making simple calculations, we get a value of 25 milliliters.
Most often, when preparing fuel for saw operation, proportions of 1:50 and 1:40 are used. This means that for 50 or 40 parts of gasoline, one part of oil is added. Calculations are made as follows: 1 l = 1000 ml, 1000/50 = 20 ml or 1000/40 = 25 ml, that is, in the first case, pour 20 ml into each liter of gasoline, and in the second. 25 ml of oil. If there are no instructions and you do not know the proportions for preparing the mixture, then use the following recommendations:
- Tool and oil from the same brand. For example, for a Stihl chainsaw, the ratio of gasoline to Stihl oil will be the same as indicated on the container with oil, usually 1:50.
- The substances used for the mixture have different brands. a ratio of 1:40 is chosen.
- There is only one brand, but there is no information on the ratios of substances in the oil. they dilute 1:40.
- In the absence of any data on saw and oil, dilute the mixture in a ratio of 1:40. The only thing to make sure that the oil is designed for two-stroke engines.
To run a new saw in the first three refueling of the fuel tank, add 20% more oil. In this case, instead of a ratio of 1:50, it will be 1:42, and the ratio of 1:40 turns into 1:33. A liter of gasoline will require 24 or 33 ml of oil, respectively. No other running-in measures are carried out with the new saw. Manufacturers advise to work only at the highest speed at all times. After running in the tool, use the usual proportions of 1:50 or 1:40. In some cases, the manufacturer of the equipment indicates other ratios, for example, 1:25 or 1:32, they must be observed.
Proportion for chainsaw Friendship
For engines, fuel of low octane numbers is used. The unit shows the highest performance when filling the internal combustion engine with gasoline grades AI-76 and AI-80.
It is recommended to dilute gasoline and oil according to the following algorithm:
Take 2 clean containers, dried from moisture, with volume marks. Then the fuel is diluted with two-stroke oil in a ratio of 1:50. That is, the fuel is diluted with 20 milligrams of oil.
What mix oil to use! What ratio should I run in different saws!
Quality components needed
Practice proves the influence of the quality of the prepared mixture, taking into account the required proportions, on the service life of the tool, power, productivity:
- It is not recommended to use components that have reached the end of their shelf life.
- It is especially important for the constituent parts of gasoline and oil. do not use components obtained on the basis of gas condensates, since the molecular structure contains harmful ones, for the internal combustion engine, add water.
- Partial non-compliance of AI-92 with international standards. AI-95 grade is saturated with additives that damp the detonation moments of the internal combustion engine.
The noted drawbacks limit in time the service life of hand-held chainsaws, the internal combustion engines of which operate on complex consistencies of a combustible mixture.
Consumer reviews of Stihl saws are mostly positive. It is lightweight and affordable. There are some complaints about the low power of the instrument. But for occasional use at home, it is quite suitable. And if you use the correct proportions of oil and gasoline for your Stihl chainsaw, it will last for many years.
Leskhozes, timber industry enterprises, private households buy chainsaws for specific production and household chores. Consider the correct proportions of oil and gasoline for your chainsaw. Today, the country’s liquid market offers a range of domestic and imported mechanisms.
Why you need to observe the proportion of gasoline and oil?
Many buyers, when purchasing a chainsaw, are perplexed why the oil with gasoline recommended by the manufacturer should be added in the exact amount. It’s all about the intricacies of a two-stroke engine, which differs from its 4-stroke counterpart in a number of specific design solutions.
One of them: the manufacture of a single-cylinder engine, in which there is no crankcase for filling with lubricating consistencies. This is seen as the technological success of its time.
You can imagine how the incoming combustible mixture loses oil molecules, which are deposited on the cylinder stacks. Subsequently, it creates a sliding protective film in the rubbing units and parts of the internal combustion engine, reducing the physical contact of the piston rings with the wall of the cylinder, connecting rod and crankshaft.
To provide the unit with maximum performance, long-term operating conditions are achieved by the correct ratio of pure gasoline to the recommended oil. Violation of the rule guarantees a quick exit of the instrument from the functional state. ICE breakdown will require significant funds for repair or replacement with a new analogue.
Many users of mechanized hand tools consider the oil reservoir present in the unit as a reservoir for lubrication and a power plant. This is fundamentally wrong. The lubricant is designed for the chain during operation. Only. The oil reservoir is a priori not connected by the pipeline with the engine.
Even experienced lumberjacks do not always correctly mix the fuel mixture for a chainsaw if the work is done in a hurry.
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- prepare a plastic container containing 2.5 liters or less;
- a measuring container must be present. many use a conventional medical syringe;
- first, fuel is poured into the container, and then an accurately measured portion of oil;
- the finishing task is scrupulous dissolution of the oil product by actively shaking the consistency.
When making a mixture of gasoline and oil, you should adhere to the prohibitive action. you must not try to mix it in the gasoline tank of the tool.
After that, the finished flammable product is recommended to be stored for 14 days. If more, the oil will settle to the bottom of the container. A new shake-up of consistency is required. Busy people often forget about this.
Small private companies from China and other Asian countries specialize in the production of motor oils, which are sold at a lower cost in the markets under the trademarks of leading manufacturers.
- The characteristics of counterfeit products are an order of magnitude lower than those of the branded originals. The constant use of counterfeit products adversely affects the operation of the chainsaw and the durability of its operation.
- Only an experienced specialist can determine the status and quality of oil, therefore, you can avoid possible risks by buying consumable components in a network of branded and licensed retail outlets.
- The use of substandard lubricants for service specialists is a legal basis for depriving the owner of a faulty saw of warranty repair and restoration obligations.
It is better to prepare the mixture in an amount that should be enough to perform one-time work. The problem lies in the irreversible deterioration of the working properties of the mixture during storage. The finished composition is recommended to be used over the next few days.
A mixture of gasoline with a month-old oil impairs the traction capabilities of the engine. There is also the formation of resinous compounds in the fuel system and intense carbon formation in the combustion chamber, loss of mobility of the piston rings.
- With minimal damage to quality, it is advisable to store gasoline with oil for no more than 2 weeks. At an ambient temperature of 25 degrees Celsius or more, this period is reduced to 8-10 days.
- In order to save money, the expired mixture can be gradually consumed by mixing it into the fresh composition in an amount of no more than 10% of the total volume.
In order to avoid problems associated with the failure of the fuel system, it is recommended to filter the prepared mixture through a non-fiber material such as suede, or a fine-mesh twill weave, a metal mesh.
Working proportions of the fuel mixture
The standard gasoline to oil mixture ratio for carburetor chainsaw engines of various models is 40: 1 and 50: 1. This proportion provides full lubrication of the rubbing parts of the crank mechanism and piston group, and also does not prevent the complete combustion of the gasoline-air mixture.
Taking into account external factors, the fuel mixture can be adjusted in the direction of increasing the amount of oil. Such a need arises at the stage of running in a new tool, as well as at high air temperatures. In this case, the standard oil dosage is increased by 20%.
In practice, an increase in the percentage of oil in the fuel mixture is used if its characteristics do not fully meet the stated requirements. How much oil per liter of gasoline is needed in each case is determined by the sawman himself.
What are the proportions to dilute the components for the mixture
The high-quality operation of the chainsaw will depend on the correct filling of the chainsaw with a mixture of lubricants and fuel. To determine the proportion of the components and how to dilute the fuel, it is recommended to read the instructions. If you have forgotten how to dilute, or have lost the instructions, you can go to the Internet for help. It should be said that the proportion between oil and gasoline for a chainsaw must be observed exactly.
The most common gasoline to oil ratio is 1:50.
That is, one liter of gasoline is diluted with twenty milligrams of lubricant. This ratio is quite suitable for tools whose power is more than one and a half kilowatts per hour.
For those chainsaws whose power is less than one and a half kilowatts per hour, it is recommended to mix gasoline with oil in a ratio of 1:25. That is, one liter of gasoline is diluted with twenty-five milligrams of engine oil.
It must be remembered that the presence of a large amount of oil in gasoline will lead to rapid wear of parts. When the level is exceeded, the load on the cylinder and piston increases. Carbon deposits form faster.
In addition to the instructions, you need to know what kind of oil you need to add for the chainsaw. Since there are many varieties, it is difficult for the ordinary owner of a chainsaw to choose the best one offered. Let’s consider some of them.
Gasoline and oil proportions
For example, Stihl, together with quality saws, produces special lubricants that are used in these tools. Special oils are produced by companies such as:
The above three companies are also manufacturers of chainsaws and special lubricants for them. The next step in proper tool maintenance is the saw refueling algorithm.
Gasoline and oil for chainsaws. which is better
Often beginners ask, which one is better to take gasoline for their instrument? In order not to make a mistake in the choice, it is recommended that you read the instructions for the tool. In the instructions, each manufacturer indicates the corresponding brand of fuel. If the manufacturer indicates that the octane number should not be lower than 95, then it is not recommended to pour 92 gasoline.
Motor oils for two-stroke engines are produced by the following manufacturers:
Usually, the ratio is indicated on the lubricant bottle, so it will be difficult even for beginners to get confused with the preparation of the fuel mixture. Do not under any pretext use working off even as a chain lubricant. This will lead to the fact that soon it will be necessary to repair the tool.
The proportion of dilution of gasoline with chainsaw oil
Chainsaw refueling instructions
Knowing the ratio of the preparation of the petrol-oil mixture, you can start refueling it. Refueling instructions are as follows:
- First you need to prepare the mixture. Having combined the two main components, you should mix them thoroughly.
- Place the tool on a clean and level surface. Before unscrewing the gas tank cap, it is necessary to clean or blow off sawdust, dust and dirt.
- The filler neck must point upwards.
- Install a small watering can in the neck, then pour fuel
- Control the refueling process, as the volume of the tank is small, so it fills up quickly
- Do not fill up to the full maximum, since when the tank cap is closed, the remaining fuel will splash out.
- After the fuel is poured into the tank, immediately add chain lubricant.
- The consumption of fuel and chain lubrication is approximately the same, therefore, both tanks must be filled at the same time.
- After refueling, you can start starting the engine
It is better to start the engine not in the place where the refueling was carried out, but to move to a distance of 2-3 m. The tool is ready for work, and you can start to start it. How the chainsaw engine starts, you can read in this material (link).
The main component of the fuel mixture for chainsaw engines is gasoline with an octane number of at least 92. Consumables with expired storage, made on the basis of gas condensate, having water and mechanical impurities in their volume are not suitable for fuel preparation.
- The opinions of experts on the use of gasoline of different brands are ambiguous. On the one hand, the incomplete compliance of domestic A-92 gasoline with European standards is recognized.
- On the other hand, the quality of A-95 gasoline is questioned due to the high content of anti-knock additives. It is possible to use this fuel for the preparation of fuel for a chainsaw only with full confidence in its quality.
- The difficulty lies in the presence of various improving additives, with the help of which unscrupulous manufacturers and distributors increase the performance properties of motor gasoline with a lower octane index.
Also, irreversible changes in the working properties of the fuel occur when it is stored for a sufficiently long time in a plastic container, regardless of the level of its petrol and oil resistance.