Cut Ceiling Plinth Corners Using
Using a miter box to cut skirting boards
In carpentry, a special device made of wood, metal or plastic is often used. a miter box. Special cuts are made in it, which allow you to make an even cut at 90º, 45º, and in more complex devices. even at 60º. There are also professional miter boxes equipped with a swivel mechanism. In them, the cutting tool can be installed and fixed at any angle to the workpiece. Before making a ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to understand the details.
To cut the inner corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box, you must:
- First, the skirting board must be attached to the ceiling surface and mark the length.
- Now a piece of plinth is placed in the miter box in the same position as it should be placed on the ceiling.
- The plinth is tightly pressed against the back wall of the miter box.
- Hold the work piece with one hand to keep it from shifting while cutting.
- The hacksaw is set at an angle of 45º to the workpiece.
- Cut the plinth, controlling the degree of pressure of the hacksaw, so as not to damage the product.
- Then proceed to cutting the counter piece of the skirting board. It is also applied to the far wall of the miter box.
- The workpiece is pressed and held by hand so that it does not move.
- The hacksaw is installed at an angle of 45º to the workpiece so that the direction of the cut is opposite to the first element of the plinth.
- Cut off the corner of the plinth.
After trimming the ceiling plinths in the corners, they proceed to the joining of the resulting elements. If the cutting was carried out accurately, they will fit snugly together.
Please note that it is recommended to start cutting the inner corner of the skirting board from the front side. Then the cut line will be more accurate and even. As for the wooden elements, then all the flaws on them will need to be cleaned up with a file. “How to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. options and methods for plinths from different materials”.
Let’s take a look at how to cut the outer corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box:
- It is best to start marking and measuring the ceiling plinth from the inner corner, and only after completing it, start cutting the outer corner. Otherwise, the plank may be short, not enough to fill the entire length of the ceiling.
- The plinth is applied to the ceiling and its length is marked.
- Then the workpiece is placed in a miter box and pressed against the front wall.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º and, holding the workpiece with your hand, saw off the corner.
- Similarly, you must cut off the opposite part of the outer corner.
- The workpiece is pressed against the front of the miter box.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º to the plinth and the workpiece is sawn off.
Upon completion of the work, the pieces of the skirting board are joined together, checking if everything is done correctly and evenly.
It is worth noting that the miter box can help to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth as evenly as possible only if the walls are strictly perpendicular. If they are uneven, and the angles are not precise, this device is unlikely to be useful. “How to properly cut the corner of the ceiling plinth. rules and methods”.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth. proven methods and techniques
Ceiling skirting boards are very often used for decorating rooms. They give the ceiling a complete look, allow you to convey a particular style in the interior. In addition, they serve to mask the joints between walls and ceilings, where two different materials are mated. Although not always such elements are present in the premises, they make the interior more complete. In the material below, we will tell you in detail how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth, since in such places the joining of individual elements is often a problem for inexperienced builders.
If the room has a simple shape, then only the inner corners will need to be cut. But in rooms of a more complex configuration, with columns, partitions and niches, there will also be external corners. For decorative elements to look beautiful, trimming must be done correctly and accurately, otherwise the appearance of the ceiling will be spoiled.
To trim the ceiling plinth in the corners as best as possible, you can use quality and sharp tools or other means. The type of tool that will be used to cut skirting boards depends on the type of material used to make them. So, ceiling plinths are made of PVC, foam, polyurethane and wood.
The cheapest option is PVC skirting boards. They are soft, so it is easy to leave dents and creases on them, which cannot be fixed in any way. In addition, this material has the ability to attract dust. A hacksaw or a sharp knife is suitable for cutting such skirting boards.
Another fairly cheap type of material is expanded polystyrene baseboards. They crumble easily, so only a sharp knife or a metal hacksaw should be used to trim the corners of the ceiling plinth. Movements should be soft, without pressure.
Cutting skirting boards for ceiling decoration
Another type of ceiling plinth is made of extruded polystyrene foam. They are much denser than ordinary foam products (therefore they do not crumble), they are a little more expensive, but they are also somewhat more difficult to cut. For work, you can use the same knife or hacksaw for metal.
The most expensive skirting boards are made of polyurethane. These are elastic, strong and moisture resistant products that are very easy to cut with a construction knife. True, they cannot be used in all rooms, since polyurethane is sensitive to high temperatures. it deforms, begins to crack or crack.
For working with wooden skirting boards, only a hacksaw with fine teeth is suitable, you can use a metal tool.
Applying a miter box template
To cut the plinth in the corner to the ceiling as evenly as possible, you can use a paper, cardboard or wooden template instead of a regular miter box. Two parallel mowing lines are applied to it, then a central point is found and any necessary angle is laid from it with the help of a protractor. Before you cut the corner of the ceiling plinth without a miter box, you should double-check the size of the inner or outer corners between the walls of the room, using the same protractor.
The principle of cutting corners using a template is similar to using a standard miter box. In this case, the workpiece must be pressed against the parallel mowing line and, setting the hacksaw at the desired angle, saw off the workpiece.
Marking on the ceiling for making a corner on the skirting board
There are different ways of how to correctly make a corner on a skirting board. Some are easier to do, others are more difficult. One of these methods is to mark the plinth on the ceiling. True, it is not very convenient to cut the plinth by weight, but this method is not inferior to all others in accuracy. Before cutting the plinth to the ceiling, it is applied to the surface, while all the imperfections and irregularities of the walls, as well as the size of the corners, are immediately taken into account.
Let’s consider in detail how to correctly make the corners on the ceiling plinths using this technique:
- First, two mating plinths must be cut at an angle of 90º;
- One of the blanks is pressed against the wall, and its end is abutted against the opposite wall. Then the outline of the workpiece is drawn on the ceiling.
- At the next stage, they take the second plank and in the same way press it with its butt to the wall. Outline the line.
- At the intersection of the lines obtained, a point is set, along which further trimming of the baseboards will be carried out.
- Then each of the strips is alternately applied to the ceiling and the cutting point is transferred to the blanks.
- From this point to the corner of the plinth, a diagonal cutting line is drawn.
Using the obtained fishing lines, cut off unnecessary sections of the baseboards, then join the mating segments, checking the correctness and completeness of the fit. “How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth. simple and correct ways”.
It should be noted that this method is more often used for internal corners.
How to make a miter box yourself
Often the only way to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth evenly is to use special tools so that the tool does not move to the side during the cutting process. In this case, you can make a miter box yourself.
Option 1. A box in the shape of the letter P is made of three boards. The required corners are marked on the walls of the box and the slots are cut out in the appropriate places. The result is a complete adaptation.
Option 2. Sometimes it is quite difficult to make the corners of the skirting boards on the ceiling as even as possible, especially if you have to keep the workpiece suspended. In this case, you can use a homemade device. Take two boards and knock them down in the shape of a corner. Then, on a sheet of paper or cardboard, they draw a mowing line with the desired angles, apply a template to the corner. Then the plinth is pressed, a template is placed under the cutting site and the corner is sawn off along the lines.
Option 3. If you are still in doubt about how to properly cut the corner of the skirting board, almost any household item, the shape of which allows you to form a corner, can help with this. It can be a chair or a table just against the wall.
To understand how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, you should also familiarize yourself with the rule for measuring blanks. So, to complete the inner corner, the length is measured directly from the beginning of the corner. But to determine the outer corner, it should be borne in mind that it will be issued into the space of the room by the amount of the width of the product.
There is no need to rush and fix the blanks before the mating skirting boards have been made in the corner. In order not to redo the work, you must first make sure that the mating surfaces are tightly adjacent to each other and to the ceiling. Small flaws can be corrected with a file, a thin nail file or a knife, depending on the material of the products.
If cutting off the skirting boards in the corners did not work out perfectly, small gaps can be simply putty. In general, the process of trimming skirting boards in the corners is not at all difficult. However, for practice, you can take a few small pieces of the baseboard and practice on them.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth correctly. How to cut a corner with a miter box
How to cut the inner corner of a skirting board with a miter box. Using a miter box
The tool allows you to cut the corners of the molding, located on the outside or inside. The swivel mechanism will help to form parts with a bend of 90 or 45 degrees.
- How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth correctly. How to cut a corner with a miter box
- How to make a corner on a skirting board. How to make an even corner on a ceiling plinth without special tools with your own hands.
- How to cut the corner of a baguette correctly. Using a laser level
- How to cut the corners of a skirting board with a miter box. How to properly cut the corners of ceiling plinths: both with and without a miter box
- Different materials and their features
- How to join a ceiling plinth. Trimming skirting boards without miter box
- Docking with a protractor
- Marking on the wall
- Draw a miter box
- How to cut the inner corner of a skirting board with a miter box. Using a miter box
- Video how to cut corners on a ceiling plinth
Marking on the wall
This method is useful when there is no protractor. You only need a pencil for marking.
- bring one panel to the corner, draw a line with a pencil on the upper border of the plinth on the ceiling;
- make the same markings for the second plinth;
- the corner on the wall and the intersection of the lines on the ceiling are guidelines for cutting. To mark the cutting line, you need to attach the plinth to the wall and connect the resulting points.
After that, the curbs can be cut.
How to cut the corner of a baguette correctly. Using a laser level
In modern conditions, many home craftsmen already have in their instrumental “arsenal”, which are excellent for checking the straightness of the angle, and for marking the baguette when forming both internal and external corners.
How this is done is described step by step in the following instruction table.
|First, you need to accurately position the laser level itself.|
For this, the same distance, for example, 500 mm, is laid from the corner along the lines of the floor and wall joint. The marked points are connected by a diagonal line.
After that, they find and outline its middle.
The laser level is installed on the floor, turned on, and then placed so that the vertical plane it sets (its projection in the form of a line) passes through the middle marked on the diagonal and coincides with the corner of the room. The beam should pass vertically along the mowing line of the corner. this will at the same time show how evenly the corner of the room is formed.
In fact, a plane is set that cuts the corner of the room exactly in the center. It is in this plane that the joint of the skirting boards should be located.
|In this case, the level should be located so that the projection of this plane is also displayed on the ceiling.|
You can fix the resulting bisecting line with pencil marks. But even better. do not remove the device, as it will help to more accurately display the desired cutting line and on the plinth attached to the place of future fastening.
It is probably clear that the next step is to install one baguette at the installation site. The plank must be resting with the end side against the wall. The beam from the laser builder, passing along the surface of the plinth, and even along all its embossed protrusions, will accurately show the cut line.
|After that, along the mowing line of the beam, with the help of a pencil or a thin marker, the cutting line is outlined.|
|Using a knife, a corner is cut along the intended mowing line. in this case it is impossible to make a mistake.|
Then, in the same way, the mowing line of the cut is marked and the second plinth is cut.
|Now that both parts for forming the corner are ready, they need to be connected to each other at the place of future fixing.|
If the joint is neat, then you can mount the baguette with glue.
If a small gap has formed between the planks, then the ends of the plinth must be corrected with a knife.
|When installing the ceiling plinth, the strips that form the corner are first glued, and the flat trim areas are fixed last.|
|If, when carrying out the approximate alignment of the corner side of the baguette, its other end will find on the already fixed segment of the plinth, you should immediately mark the required length in order to cut off its excess.|
In this case, the straight edge is trimmed just at right angles.
|To correctly cut the baguette for the outer corner, it is also necessary to start marking from the floor using a laser level.|
There is a slight difference in the primary build here.
At first, mowing lines are simply drawn along the ruler, which are a continuation of the walls. Then an equal distance is laid on them from the corner, these points are connected by a diagonal, on which the center is determined.
The beam is directed through this mark to the protruding angle, also with the projection of this plane on the surface of the ceiling.
|Further, segments of the baguette are alternately applied to the wall and the protruding corner so that the beam passes through them.|
Marking is carried out along the mowing line of the projection, and then the end part of the plinth is cut.
After that, it is necessary to try on both segments at the installation site, aligning the sections. If necessary, the ends of the strips are adjusted.
If everything is fine, proceed to fixing the fillets on the surface.
How to make a corner on a skirting board. How to make an even corner on the ceiling plinth without special tools with your own hands.
The ceiling plinth allows not only to give the decorative finish an aesthetic appearance, but also perfectly hides the uneven border between the ceiling and the wall.
The process of its installation is quite simple and can be done by hand. Difficulties most often arise only when cutting corners. Usually the corners on the ceiling plinth are cut using a special miter box fixture.
But what if he is not there?
You should not rush to buy a miter box. An even angle can be made with your own hands and without special devices. How? Consider below.
We will make the markings for cutting the inner corner of the ceiling plinth on the ceiling using a regular pencil.
To do this, apply the plinth to the corner, pushing it against the wall. Using a pencil, draw a line along the plinth directly on the ceiling.
Then we put the plinth on the opposite side and also draw a line with a pencil.
As a result, there are two mowing lines on the ceiling that intersect. It is at the intersection that the plinths of the ceiling plinth should converge.
This is the top point of the future cut.
Now you need to transfer the markings to the ceiling plinth.
To do this, again apply the ceiling plinth to the corner and use a pencil to mark the upper cut point on its outer edge. On the inside. mark directly in the corner.
We also perform the action from the opposite side.
After the markings are applied to the ceiling plinth, we proceed to cutting the corner using a clerical knife.
We put the ceiling plinth on a hard surface, and focusing on the marks, we cut.
The cut skirting board is applied to the corner to control the quality of the cut. If the unevenness of the joint is noticeable, we correct them with a knife, after which, you can proceed to further installation.
So, without using special devices, you can make an even corner with your own hands.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly. Important little things
Measurements required for trimming the skirting board to the ceiling should be done in a special way.
To determine and mark the inner corner, the length must be measured from the corner itself. To mark the outer corner, it must be taken into account that the plinth will protrude deeper into the room by a distance that is equal to its width.
It is not advisable to fix the plinths of the plinths until their exact location is tried on and the counter plinth is cut.
Only after perfect convergence in the corner of both strikers can you begin to mount and fasten them. If work is carried out with polyurethane or wooden skirting boards, defects and flaws can be corrected with a nail file or file. To fit a foam product, you should arm yourself with a sharp knife.
If even after finishing the skirting boards there is at least a small gap, do not rush to get upset. it is easy to close it up with ordinary putty.
Cutting the ceiling plinth accurately and neatly is not that difficult. But in order to acquire at least a small skill, first try to practice on small blanks.
How to cut off the corner of a ceiling plinth correctly. cutting corners, how to cut at an angle, how to cut wide fillets without a miter box, cutting corners
When planning the installation of ceiling plinths in the premises of their apartment, many think how difficult the work can be. However, everything is not so scary: the ceiling plinth can be installed with your own hands. the main thing is to know about some of the features of the materials from which this finishing element is made.
How to make corners on a skirting board using a miter box
This method is the simplest and most reliable. The miter box allows you to cut as accurately as possible.
Before doing the work, you should correctly mark the element. They do it in two ways.
- On the plinth, an angle of 90 or 45 degrees is marked with a pencil. Then the product is put into the miter box and cut along the marked mowing line.
- The element is put in place and the outer edge is marked. On the opposite side, a fillet is also installed and also denotes the edge. Where the marks intersect is the outside edge, and the end of the wall is the inside edge. The outer and inner edges are marked on the product, and then the baguette is cut.
Important! The harder the material, the sharper and more reliable the cutting tool should be used. A regular knife is also suitable for foam products. To cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of wood, you need a saw or jigsaw.
Method 3. trimming the edge of the skirting board using a “template
If there is no desire to bother with the manufacture of the miter box, or you put the baseboards “forever” (ie, the miter box will never be useful to you anywhere else), then you can make a regular template from thick cardboard. This method is especially suitable for those who have uneven walls and butt corners (for example, the corner of the wall joints is not rectangular).
You will need cardboard to measure and mark the cut lines on the plinth (as a guide).
Connect two planks at a right angle, fix them with nails.
Install the plinth into this “tray” in the same way as if it were installed on the ceiling, set the “tray” itself along the edge of the cardboard template.
Guided by the markings, cut off the edge of the skirting board. In the same way, cut another fillet and install both strips butt.
How to Do Ceiling, Corner, and Trim Cut Ins
Important: when cutting the edges, the knife (hacksaw) should be kept strictly in an upright position!
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
Products that mask gaps are fixed so that they fit snugly both to the wall and to the ceiling. The element has a special configuration, but in order to join its fragments, you must first cut the material
Skirting boards are not cut at 90, but at 45 degrees. This solution then makes it possible to correctly align the baguette both on the outside and on the inside. You can purchase models with a ready-made cut of this type. In this case, the user only has to cut the elements at right angles. But the model is more expensive and does not completely exclude preparatory work.
In practice, cutting off a 45 degree skirting board is quite easy. Most often, a special device is used for this. a miter box, but you can do with other means.
How to make an inner corner of a ceiling plinth
Most often in the home they deal with the inner corners. Cutting is pretty easy.
- To begin with, the material is placed at the junction of the wall and ceiling in the position in which they are going to be fixed in the future. Mark the desired length on the product.
- The ceiling plinth is placed in the miter box in the same position, that is, that part of the fillet, which is mounted on the ceiling, should be facing upwards, and facing the wall should be adjacent to the wall of the device. The edges of the products are aligned with the extreme angle mark of 45 degrees.
- The blade is turned at an angle of 45 degrees and the excess fragment is removed. The knife should be sharp, and ideally it should be cut in one motion. The second part is prepared in the same way, but on the other side.
Important! The plastic should be cut from the front side to get a smooth, beautiful cut.
Method 2. trimming the edge of the skirting board without the help of a miter box
If you don’t want to waste time making a miter box, then you can make the markings directly on the ceiling! To do this, the edge of the plinth is cut off at a right angle, then the plank is applied to the corner as it is planned to be installed, and the border of the plinth is marked.
Marking the line of the first skirting board
Do the same with the second bar.
Marking the line of the second plinth
After spreading the lines, they mark the point of intersection of the two lines directly on the planks. this will be the line for cutting the edges of adjacent skirting boards.
Mark the crossing point on the skirting boards
Cut skirting boards are joined in the corner
How to cut a skirting board for an angle other than 90 degrees
Many rooms boast angles that do not correspond to 90 degrees. Such situations arise as a result of shrinkage of the soil and the structure itself, as well as in violation of the technology of wall construction.
In this case, the correct marking using a miter box or drawing will not work, all actions are performed directly on the spot:
- Before you cut the corner of the ceiling plinth, it is applied to one of the walls and an emphasis is made with its end to the other wall.
- A line is drawn along the plinth.
- Perform similar actions on another wall.
- At the intersection of the two lines, a mark is made on one of the skirting boards, which is connected to the corner of the workpiece. An incision is made along this mowing line.
- Repeat the steps on the other plinth and try on both blanks. Make the necessary adjustments.
- The skirting boards are glued in place, the joint in this case must be tight enough.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners. options and methods
Ceiling skirting boards are an integral part of the finishing of the ceiling space. With their help, cracks and wall defects are masked, they can cover irregularities in a suspended ceiling structure or wallpaper. In addition, skirting boards complete the interior of the room. One of the problems in the assembly process of these elements is the perfect joining in the corners. The question of how to cut a plinth to the ceiling in the corners is solved in several ways.
How to cut a plinth for a ceiling
First, a miter box is used to cut the plinth correctly. This device is a special tray that allows you to cut wood, plastic or other materials at the desired angle. The miter box can be purchased in a retail network or made by hand, in the first case, the kit may include a saw. However, a tool available from a home craftsman for cutting materials may well be used.
The device has a recess into which skirting boards or boards are inserted. There is also a saw slot that can be tilted at 45 and 90 degrees. For example, you can consider how to cut corners on a ceiling plinth at an angle of 45 0 using a miter box.
Such a process involves the following actions:
- The plinth must be attached to the attachment point.
- Make a mark for cutting.
- Install the plinth into the recess of the miter box, pressing it against the surface of the device with its underside. In this case, the side intended for applying the adhesive should look up.
- A saw is inserted into the hole for a 45 degree cut and the plinth is sawn off.
- Using the same saw or knife, the cut can be corrected by removing irregularities.
- The plinth is glued in place. The task of how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners is considered solved.
Working with outside corners
As a rule, there may be external corners in the rooms, which also need to be pasted over with skirting boards. The question of how to cut the skirting boards at the corners of the ceiling in this case can be solved in the following ways:
- Using a miter box. Almost the same actions are performed as for interior corners. The only difference is that the glued side of the plinth is pressed against the surface of the device.
- The markup is in place. Similarly to the inner corners on the ceiling, they draw a mowing line and use the same technology. With a rounded external corner joint, the joint is finalized with a knife.
Self-made miter box
The miter box can be made by hand using wood or metal. The width of the workpiece can be different, the main thing is that it does not exceed the size of the hacksaw, in this case, such a task as cutting off the corner of the ceiling plinth will be easier to complete.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
- A cross line is drawn in the center of the workpiece.
- From it, in both directions, measure half the width of the workpiece and make marks.
- Labels connect crosswise.
- Now you need to mark the side walls of the device.
- The walls are alternately applied to the base and marks are made in accordance with the markings on it.
- At these marks, straight transverse mowing lines are drawn along the walls.
- Next, they start assembling the miter box. The side walls are attached to the base with self-tapping screws or bolts, depending on the material used.
- Saw slots are made after hollow assembly of the fixture.
Using a factory-made or self-made miter box, you can speed up the process of cutting skirting boards up to 10 times. This is especially important for craftsmen who regularly carry out repair work and are faced with the task of how to cut a ceiling plinth.
Skirting board cutting tool set
When solving the problem of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, working tools are selected depending on the material from which the plinth is made, since each of them has its own processing characteristics:
- The polyvinyl chloride skirting board has no resistance to mechanical stress. Even light pressure results in irreparable damage. Therefore, no great effort is required during the cutting process. The question of how to cut a PVC skirting board is solved using a blade, a sharpened construction knife or a hacksaw for metal.
- The foam skirting board is also not very durable, but in comparison with polyvinyl chloride it has a higher quality, moreover, it crumbles easily. Cutting foam ceiling plinths is done with sharp tools, like PVC.
- Wooden skirting boards have higher strength characteristics and aesthetically pleasing appearance. However, the cost of such products is quite high. For cutting wood skirting boards, it is recommended to use a wood hacksaw with frequent teeth, since the teeth of a hacksaw for metal are easily clogged with sawdust.
Cutting the skirting board in the corners without special tools
The question of how to properly cut off a 45-degree angle on a plinth can be solved without a special device. To do this, perform the following actions:
- Take a sheet of paper and apply a baseboard to it.
- Draw two parallel mowing lines to mark the sides.
- Then take a regular protractor and measure 45 0.
- On the mark made, the line of the future cut is drawn.
- Before cutting the ceiling plinth, it is laid on a sheet of paper, while controlling the coincidence of the lines and sides.
- The marking from the sheet is transferred to the plinth and a cut is made in the right place.
The disadvantage of this method is the need to keep the saw on weight during the cutting process.
Factory corners. an alternative option
Cutting the ceiling plinth at the desired angle is quite difficult; this procedure requires accuracy and precision. With the help of a special device. a miter box. skirting boards can be easily cut at a 45 degree angle. When gluing the skirting board in corners other than 90 degrees, manual marking can be used. In order for the ceiling to look decent after repair, you need to know how to cut off the ceiling plinth correctly, and select tools in accordance with the material of manufacture.