How to cut a ceiling plinth under 45
How to glue skirting boards to the ceiling in the corners. a step-by-step guide
When performing repair and finishing work, each stage should be treated responsibly. The final stage, when additional and decorative elements are mounted, requires special care. Most often they are in plain sight, so any mistake can spoil the appearance of the entire interior. Therefore, it is necessary to strive for the perfect execution of the final stages of repair and decoration.
The completion of any work on finishing the ceiling is the installation of ceiling skirting boards, which are called friezes or fillets. Thanks to this element, the transition between the ceiling and the wall becomes smooth, and the renovation takes on a complete look.
The main purpose of the ceiling plinth is to decorate the room, so you need to choose a fillet in accordance with the overall interior. In addition, this element allows you to mask minor defects at the junction of the ceiling and walls. Therefore, it is important to know how to glue fillets correctly.
Installation of a ceiling plinth cannot be called a difficult and time-consuming process; even a novice master can do it. However, for a high-quality work, you need to know all the details of installing ceiling plinths. When solving this issue, you should be especially careful about the design of the corners. Errors and shortcomings at this stage cause the formation of cracks and mismatches, which to a greater extent spoil the appearance of the entire ceiling. Therefore, the problem of how to glue the ceiling plinth in the corners can be called actual.
Before gluing the skirting boards to the ceiling in the corners, you need to prepare the tools that will be needed when gluing the ceiling skirting board:
- To calculate the required amount of materials, you need a tape measure.
- It is recommended to fix the ceiling skirting boards with quick-drying glue or putty.
- You can knead the adhesive in a previously prepared container, it is best to apply the putty with a spatula.
- Remove excess glue or putty with a dry, clean cloth.
- For cutting skirting boards at a certain angle, it is best to use a miter box.
- Direct cutting of products is performed with a sharp construction knife or file.
Easy Miter Cuts on Shadow Molding | Armstrong Ceiling Solutions
It is recommended to glue the ceiling plinth on a pre-filled and leveled wall. As for the wallpaper, they are glued after the fillets are installed. In this case, the fastening of the elements will be more durable. In addition, when gluing new wallpaper, there is no need to change the ceiling plinth, since wallpaper strips are glued along the lower edge of the fillet. Fixing over the wallpaper reduces the fixing strength of the skirting board and requires its dismantling when changing the finishing material for the walls.
The problem of how to properly glue the ceiling plinth in the corners is recommended to be solved using acrylic or silicone glue, characterized by fast drying, or on a construction putty. With the help of a putty, the skirting board is glued directly to the wall, the frieze is glued to the wallpaper using quick-drying glue. When using these materials for fixing products, there is no need to hold the elements for a long time to set the adhesive backing. In addition, with putty, you can simultaneously repair wall defects in the form of irregularities and cracks.
Using a thread or construction cord, it is necessary to draw a control line in accordance with the width of the frieze. In this case, you can count on a more even gluing of the ceiling plinth, and the process itself will not cause much trouble.
Cutting skirting boards at an angle
The process of deciding how to glue a wide ceiling plinth always starts in one of the corners. Many manufacturers in the process of manufacturing products cut the skirting boards at a certain slope for easier decoration of the external and internal corners. The problem of fitting fillets with a complex pattern or pattern is especially urgent. When using a cornerless ceiling plinth, you can correctly and beautifully arrange the corner using a miter box or a file.
In order not to spoil the appearance of the baguette, it is necessary to properly cut off its corners. To form a normal right angle, the plinth should be cut at an angle of 45 degrees towards each other.
Determining the slope and cutting the skirting board is done as follows:
- The product is applied to the ceiling in order to understand the direction of the cut for proper installation.
- You need to cut baguettes in a mirror image.
- To decorate the inner corner, the top edge is made shorter than the bottom edge.
- Correct outer corner occurs when the top edge is longer than the bottom.
- On the ceiling plinth, which will be located on the right side, make a cut on the left side.
- The product located on the left side should have a cut on the right side.
- When cutting the skirting board, you must carefully advance the knife in one direction. In this case, the formation of chips and roughness can be avoided.
The appearance of the ceiling depends on the correct solution to the question of how to glue and cut ceiling plinths.
To make a miter box yourself, you must perform the following steps:
- Take any solid foundation and draw a line on it.
- Then they retreat about 10 cm and draw a line parallel to it.
- Draw a line through the parallels at right angles to them.
- Measure 5 cm from this line on each mowing line and connect opposite points.
- The resulting mowing lines form an angle of 45 degrees with the parallels.
To cut the skirting board using a homemade miter box, the product is laid along the parallels and cut along the marks, taking into account the direction of the corner.
However, it should be understood that for angles other than 90 degrees, it is necessary to cut the skirting board at a different slope. In this case, the product is applied to the wall and its boundaries are outlined. Then the place of intersection of the skirting boards is determined and the corresponding marks are put. The baguette cut is performed according to these marks.
Selection of material and calculation of the number of skirting boards
Ceiling plinths are very popular, for the manufacture of which polystyrene, polyurethane and expanded polystyrene were used. The main advantages of such products are lightness, resistance to moisture and temperature extremes. Thanks to the various widths and a large selection of patterns and reliefs, it becomes possible to choose a skirting board to create any decorative effect. Additional coloring of the ceiling plinths makes it possible to create a variety of artistic decor.
The problem of how to stick polystyrene and expanded polystyrene skirting boards on the ceiling should be solved with extreme caution, since they are easily deformed and damaged by mechanical stress. As for polyurethane fillets, such design elements are characterized by increased strength and the ability to maintain a clear relief shape.
Polyvinyl chloride ceiling plinth is widely used in cases where the budget for renovation and decoration of the premises is limited. However, when using it, it should be remembered that such products are not recommended to be painted. In addition, PVC skirting boards are afraid of temperature extremes, under their influence, product deformation may occur.
When choosing plaster, wood or aluminum skirting boards for ceiling decoration, you should remember a few very important points. First, such products cannot be bent due to the low ductility of the base material. Secondly, the skirting boards are quite heavy. The presence of these qualities makes the solution to the question of how to glue fillets on the ceiling, special.
Before you go shopping for skirting boards, you need to make a few calculations. In particular, it is required to determine how much material is required to decorate the ceiling in a room of a certain area. First, you should measure the perimeter of the room, this value will correspond to the total length of the ceiling plinth. To calculate the number of fillets, it is necessary to divide the perimeter of the room by the standard length of the products, which corresponds to 1.2 meters, 1.4 meters and 2 meters. Experienced craftsmen performing finishing work recommend purchasing skirting boards of greater length, in this case, fewer connections are obtained.
The width of the plinth is determined according to the height of the ceilings in the room. In rooms with low ceilings, it is better to use narrow products; for high rooms, it is recommended to install a wide ceiling plinth. This visually reduces the height of the room.
Gluing the ceiling plinth
For high-quality gluing of the baguette, you must do the following:
- Take a baguette and put glue on its back.
- The place of fixation of the product can be moistened with a primer or plain water to increase the adhesion of surfaces.
- The plinth is firmly pressed against the wall and ceiling and held for a while.
- Excess glue or putty is removed immediately.
- The resulting cracks and gaps are covered with putty.
If necessary, the skirting boards are painted in the desired color.
Cutting wood floor molding with a miter box
It is necessary to measure the distance from the edge of the skirting board already glued to the wall to the top of the corner of the wall. Now we take a new piece of molding and set aside a length equal to this distance on its lower edge. We put a point with a pencil or stick a piece of electrical tape. We do this procedure for both the outer and inner corners. In the miter box, place the skirting boards from left to right for the left side of the corner and from right to left for the right. At the same time, they should be pressed as in the figure. to the side of the miter box closest to you.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth. laying a workpiece in a miter box:
- For the outer left, match the mark on the skirting board with the extreme left slot. For the outer right. from the far right.
- For the inner left, match the mark on the skirting board with the extreme right slot. For the inner right. from the far left.
Clarification: the notch refers to the one on the side closer to you.
Cutting skirting boards at an angle: the red line marks where you saw the cut
Additional installation guidelines
- Install the plinth strip only when you have already prepared the next one. Do it on the floor, not under the ceiling.
- Patience, patience and patience again. Joints sometimes have to be tweaked more than once. Do not be nervous, be attentive, and everything will work out.
- With the use of foam and plastic, you can afford to leave small gaps in the joints of the corners. Putty hides them well. Be careful with the tree.
Diligence Produces Results
If you still have any questions, then the visual in this article will help to resolve them.
By carefully following the recommendations and taking into account the peculiarities of the material with which you work, you can give your ceiling beauty and originality. Choose the method that you like and go ahead! You will succeed (read also about the advantages of PVC skirting boards).
Some useful tips to make your work and preparation easier
Next, we will talk about the tool with which you can trim. This section also contains useful information on joining skirting boards at corners.
How to cut ceiling plinth and floor plinth and dock correctly
Installation of moldings on the ceiling and floor is the shortest and seemingly simple stage of repair. But surely many of you had to spend at least an hour trying to cut these 45 degrees. The only exceptions are the lucky ones with a technical mindset and those who were friends with geometry at school.
Today we will tell you how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth and floor plinth without resorting to complicated calculations. You will see that this is not a difficult job at all, which can be done in a short time.
Cutting with a miter box
What is a miter box? This is a special tray made of wood, aluminum or plastic with provided grooves to guide the saw at the desired angle.
Here is a quick guide to using such a carpentry tool:
- Training. We take the product and put it in the tray. Align in the position in which it will be installed on the ceiling.
- Cutting. With the other hand, insert the cutting tool into the groove. It can be a knife or a hacksaw. And we cut it boldly. The device will not let you miss the intended place.
You should know: a blade for metal is also suitable for cutting foam.
- Treatment. Wood skirting boards may need to be filed to level the cut edges. Plastic or foam can be tweaked with a knife, the main thing is that it is sharp enough.
Tip: Do not press on the product when cutting. Styrofoam can crumble, and the tree can split altogether.
It’s so easy and simple to use the miter box
- Making the right measurements.
- We install the plinth strip in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 ° in a special hole and cut off the part.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, expanded polystyrene), use a hacksaw for metal or an ordinary construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with smooth edges.
External ceiling corner view
We already cut the ceiling corners on the inside of the fixture. Having inserted the left plinth into the miter box, we cut off the left outer corner. Substitute Right. Right Outer Edge Mode.
The product is installed around the perimeter of a rectangular room. Trimmed to trim right angles. Therefore, we will consider how to cut the skirting board at 45 degrees.
How to cut a 45 degree ceiling plinth?
The ceiling plinth, or fillet, is the subject of the final decorative decoration of the room, separating the ceiling and the wall. In addition to the decorative function, it also has a completely functional value, hiding the joints of the wallpaper and the ceiling. It is simply impossible to decorate the edges of the wallpaper in any other way, and, as you know, they move away precisely along the edges. Corner decoration can be a problem when using fillets. Errors can lead to overspending of material, and such incorrectly cut skirting boards look unattractive. In this article, we will look at simple ways to optimally file a ceiling plinth at an angle of 45 degrees.
Starting the decoration of the room with ceiling plinths, it is necessary to prepare the appropriate tools:
- stationery knife for foam baseboards;
- hacksaw for metal;
- carpentry or simple school square;
- miter box;
- a stable and high enough stepladder.
It is necessary to free up space on the floor in order to make it convenient to cut the skirting boards. It is on the floor that it is best to place a miter box, the length of a table or a portable workbench is not enough to securely place the plinth to be sawn off.
To cut the ceiling plinth at an angle of 45 degrees, you need to decide on the sides. The main mistake is the incorrect definition of the fillet sides. A proven way to determine the correct side is to apply material in place. So it becomes clear how you need to cut the skirting board. This operation, despite its apparent simplicity, is very laborious, since after trying on the plinth with it you have to go down to the place where the sawing will be done. Most often, in order to avoid deformation or damage to the baseboard, especially if it is made of foam or similar material, you have to cut it on the floor.
Then all this must be lifted back to the ceiling for final fitting and installation, the same steps are done with another segment.
The joints of two skirting boards in the corners should look aesthetically pleasing, so you need to cut or saw them off as carefully as possible. A hacksaw for metal works well for this. In some cases, a sharp knife. If it was washed down correctly, small imperfections can be eliminated with putty or sealant.
In addition to cutting with a carpenter’s miter box, in which the angles are clearly defined (90, 45, sometimes 60 degrees), there are other methods. expensive is the use of a rotary miter box or a rotary circular saw. Cutting a corner with a tool where it can be adjusted and fairly easy to set is not difficult. Cutting is done either by hand or using a circular.
The purchase of such equipment for finishing one room, bathroom or even an apartment is hardly justified, another thing is professional activity, in this case, of course, it is better not to save.
In order to grind the fillet at home, you can do with a more budgetary option by preparing a homemade plywood miter box. It is important to accurately measure the corners and make cuts, along which the plinth will be sawn off in the future.
In order not to confuse the sides of the plinth and cut it correctly, at first it is better to apply it together with the miter box to the ceiling, gradually a skill will be developed and it will be possible to do without repeated movements up and down.
You can also prepare a kind of miter box layout on cardboard, while the plinth to be sawn off will have to be applied to the layout and marked with a pencil. In order to cut the required corner, it is better to move it to a more convenient place, in addition, it is important not to spoil the layout.
There are ways to cut corners without a miter box. This is all the more important because the angles are not always perfect, and the standard 45 degree angle may turn out to be wrong. In order to make a corner in this way, it is necessary to attach a piece of skirting board directly to the ceiling exactly as it will be mounted. With a pencil, it is necessary to mark the width of the fillet on the ceiling. Attaching the skirting board to the other side of the corner, you also need to mark its width on the ceiling.
There will be two intersecting line segments. Then again you need to attach the pieces of the plinth to the ceiling and mark the same point on them.
It is necessary to cut off from the edge to the marked point, it is important to remember the sides with which the plinth will adhere to the wall and ceiling, in no case should they be confused. Small flaws can be corrected during the installation process, cut with a clerical knife, if the baseboard material allows it. With wooden fillets, everything is much more complicated, there a knife will not help.
In-situ measurements allow cutting both inner and outer corners without great losses, although the latter are not common, yet their finish is significantly different.
How to cut a 45 degree ceiling plinth, see below.
To figure out how to quickly cut and make beautiful the outer corner located on the ceiling plinth, you will need:
- Measure the length of the fillet from the wall surface to the point where the corner is.
- Mark the wrong side of the part with a pencil.
- Place the outer corner into the bottom of the miter box and cut at a 45 degree angle.
- Cut the adjacent strip according to the same pattern.
- Try on parts and trim the ends with a knife for perfect seams.
On a note! The outer element should protrude slightly outward.
Fixing prepared skirting boards in place with glue
The technology of fixing the plinth strips has already been discussed in detail earlier in the articles “How to glue a foam plinth” and “Plinth for a stretch ceiling”. Let us recall the main provisions:
- glue must be applied not only to the reverse side of the fillet, but also to butt cuts;
- rivers must be kept pressed until the glue sets;
- the curing time of the adhesive composition by the manufacturer of the material is indicated on the package;
- after fixing the plinth, all places of loose fit should be sealed with putty or sealant;
- in the case of a stretch ceiling, the side adjacent to it is not smeared with glue, and fixing is carried out only on the wall.
Your task is to make the joint monolithic, without gaps and cracks. Therefore, the issue of pre-fitting is the basis of success.
How to neatly cut the innermost corner that is on the skirting board? After completing the markup, work according to the following algorithm:
- Place the bar in the bottom of the miter box so as to repeat the position on the surface.
- Press the plinth against the far wall of the miter box.
- Holding the product, clamp it with your free hand.
- Place the hacksaw at a 45 ° angle into the recess and cut.
- Trim an adjacent element in a similar manner.
On a note! The inner corner made of PVC or expanded polystyrene can be processed with a stationery knife or a hacksaw for metal.
How to cut the corner of a baguette correctly. Using a miter box to cut skirting boards
In carpentry, a special device made of wood, metal or plastic is often used. a miter box. Special cuts are made in it, which allow an even cut at 90º, 45º, and in more complex devices. even at 60º. There are also professional miter boxes equipped with a swivel mechanism. In them, the cutting tool can be installed and fixed at any angle to the workpiece. Before making the ceiling plinth in the corners. need to figure out the details.
To cut the inner corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box, you must:
- First, the skirting board must be attached to the ceiling surface and mark the length.
- Now a piece of plinth is placed in the miter box in the same position as it should be placed on the ceiling.
- The plinth is tightly pressed against the back wall of the miter box.
- Hold the work piece with one hand to keep it from shifting while cutting.
- The hacksaw is set at an angle of 45º to the workpiece.
- Cut the plinth, controlling the degree of pressure of the hacksaw, so as not to damage the product.
- Then proceed to cutting the counter piece of the skirting board. It is also applied to the far wall of the miter box.
- The workpiece is pressed and held by hand so that it does not move.
- The hacksaw is installed at an angle of 45º to the workpiece so that the direction of the cut is opposite to the first element of the plinth.
- Cut off the corner of the plinth.
After trimming the ceiling plinths in the corners, they proceed to the joining of the resulting elements. If the cutting was carried out accurately, they will fit snugly together.
Please note that it is recommended to start cutting the inner corner of the skirting board from the front side. Then the cut line will be more accurate and even. As for the wooden elements, then all the flaws on them will need to be cleaned up with a file. “How to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. options and methods for plinths from different materials”.
Let’s take a look at how to cut the outer corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box:
- It is best to start marking and measuring the ceiling plinth from the inner corner, and only after completing it, start cutting the outer corner. Otherwise, the plank may be short, not enough to fill the entire length of the ceiling.
- The plinth is applied to the ceiling and its length is marked.
- Then the workpiece is placed in a miter box and pressed against the front wall.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º and, holding the workpiece with your hand, saw off the corner.
- Similarly, you must cut off the opposite part of the outer corner.
- The workpiece is pressed against the front of the miter box.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º to the plinth and the workpiece is sawn off.
At the end of the work, the pieces of the skirting board are joined together, checking if everything is done correctly and evenly.
It should be noted that the miter box can help to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth as evenly as possible only if the walls are strictly perpendicular. If they are uneven and the angles are not accurate, this device is unlikely to be useful. “How to properly cut the corner of the ceiling plinth. rules and methods”.
- DIY room repair for beginners step by step. Budget repair rules
- Small insects in the apartment. All the variety of insects in the apartment
- Finishing a new building from scratch. Where to start: sequence of actions
- How to glue the seal on the windows. How to choose how to glue self-adhesive insulation for windows
- Do-it-yourself concrete path in the country. Simple do-it-yourself concrete garden path
- How to wash a polycarbonate greenhouse. How to wash a polycarbonate greenhouse in the fall
- How to glue MDF panels to the wall. Glue method
- Ceiling skirting board, how to cut corners. Using a miter box
- How to cut the inner corner of a skirting board with a miter box. Mounting a baguette in the corner using a miter box
- Outside corner
- Inner corner
- Fixing prepared skirting boards in place with glue
- How to join a ceiling plinth. The need to dock the ceiling plinth
- How to cut a wide skirting board. Types of ceiling and floor skirting boards, choice of tools
- Ceiling plinth
- Floor plinth
- How to cut the corner of a baguette correctly. Using a miter box to cut skirting boards
- How to make a corner on a skirting board. How to make a corner of a ceiling plinth, how to properly fit and cut a plinth
- Video how to cut the corner of a skirting board or baguette without a miter box. how to cut baseboard without a miter box
How to cut a wide skirting board. Types of ceiling and floor skirting boards, choice of tools
The installation of moldings and skirting boards is no less important stage of the renovation than any other. And trimming the corners is the hardest part here. It is important to choose the right tool for the job and the most suitable cutting method.
How To Cut & Install Crown Moulding
Ceiling skirting board, how to cut corners. Using a miter box
The tool allows you to cut the corners of the molding, located on the outside or inside. The swivel mechanism will help to form parts with a bend of 90 or 45 degrees.