How To Cut The Osb Slab
Before proceeding with the work, you should know what the preparation for painting and finishing OSB boards should be. Its quality determines the further consumption of paint and varnish and appearance.
- Carry out grinding of sheets to remove factory defects.
- Fill cracks with sealant.
- Smooth the surface with a putty (for this purpose it is recommended to use an acrylic compound).
- Sand the dried layer with fine-grained sandpaper.
- Apply primer.
Before painting the OSB indoors, you should pay attention to the commercially available primer options. They are of three types:
The acrylic primer is odorless. This primer is easy to apply and wash off tools. The line of acrylic compounds includes antiseptic mixtures that prevent the appearance of mold and mildew. They are suitable for processing OSB sheets inside the house and works related to wallpapering.
Alkyd primer. It is used only together with alkyd paints. This type of soil is versatile: it is good both for interior work and for processing facade panels. The only drawback is a pungent smell.
Adhesive primer. Such a composition is almost never used when painting OSB slabs inside a building due to the quartz filler, which is the basis of the primer mixture. After using adhesives of this type, additional surface sanding is required.
OSB processing before gluing wallpaper
Chips of the OSB board quickly absorb glue and swell. Therefore, before gluing the wallpaper, the walls of this material are treated with moisture-proof agents.
A primer is applied to create a polymer coating. After it dries, apply a dispersion putty, and after 12 hours, both layers are covered with a reinforcing material.
This coating is not recommended for painting plywood. The dye mixture, in addition to pigment and polymers, contains water, which deforms the formation.
This type of water-based paint contains latex. Eco-friendly and durable dye.
Primer application method
Procedure for priming the surface:
- Prepare the site for the upcoming work: clean up roughness and irregularities. Dust is collected with a vacuum cleaner. Joints, cracks are sealed with sealant.
- Thoroughly, until a homogeneous mass is obtained, mix the primer.
- Apply the composition with a brush or roller in an even layer, in the direction from joint to joint.
They protect the surface from external influences. Scuba spray applied over the paint will add an even glossy shade to the base color or emphasize the texture of the slab.
Impregnation for this type of building material should be based on resin solutions. Such mixtures are good at preventing the appearance of lignin (yellow spots).
Under your feet
Any floor finish requires a perfectly flat base. OSB-3 slabs do the best with this task (the number means the number of layers). This type of material is strong enough, resists moisture, is equally easy to fit both on wooden logs and on a concrete screed.
The type of floor determines what kind of covering will be used to cover the OSB board:
- Roll materials. Before covering the floor surface with carpet or linoleum, you should make sure that there are no even minor roughness or irregularities where the plates are connected to each other. The detected gaps are filled with a silicone-based sealant, after which they are thoroughly cleaned.
- Varnish. Painting OSB panels with varnish should be done in several (at least two or three) layers, while the surface should be degreased. If you do not intend to cover the floor with anything in the future, you should give preference to polished, smooth slabs. If unpolished material has been used, it should be pre-sanded and then primed. Varnish treatment allows to obtain a surface with full preservation of the OSB structure, but at the same time devoid of irregularities.
- Tile. Installation will require an adhesive suitable for bonding wood surfaces to ceramics.
- Laminate. This type of flooring requires an ideal base in terms of evenness. Provided that the OSB boards are laid according to the rules, this is easy to achieve.
Where panels are used
Today OSB boards are widely used:
- Construction works;
- Manufacturing of furniture, packaging;
- Finishing of bodies of trucks from the inside.
Not all applications require material processing. The most acute need and at the same time the complexity of carrying out is with such types of work:
- Floor device;
- External facing of frame structures;
- Indoor installation of ceilings, partitions.
To the content
In the manufacture of OSB, a variety of binders are used, which will show through if you apply finishing materials without pretreatment. Therefore, finishing inside the room is preceded by a special impregnation. A primer. It is important to know that in some cases paraffin or wax is added as one of the binders. Such plates should be pre-coated with a special primer paint. It contains quartz sand, which holds the coating elements.
After the completion of the preparatory work, the OSB boards placed inside the room can be covered with any cladding material:
- Varnish. Coating the interior surfaces with varnish is no different from the process of flooring.
- OSB paint. Preference should be given to water-based paints and varnishes. This component improves steam circulation through the plates. Accordingly, a qualitatively different microclimate is created inside the premises. Paints must be designed for woodworking. It is important to remember that water-based paints and varnishes can lead to swelling of chips and, therefore, deformation of the board.
- Wallpaper. Direct gluing is impossible due to the high probability of breaking the integrity of the OSB. To avoid this, before fixing the wallpaper, the wall should be covered with a mixture of PVA and wallpaper glue.
Processing methods for OSB boards
For repair and construction work, a material that has appeared on the market relatively recently is very often used. Oriented strand board (OSB, to use the English abbreviation). This allows you to get a large area with a flat, very solid base, while saving time and money. To preserve the appearance, performance, you should know how to cover the OSB board from the outside and from the inside.
External surface finishing
The use of OSB as a material for external cladding requires strict adherence to the rules that are dictated by the characteristics of the material. Experts, if possible, suggest using traditional materials for exterior decoration:
- Clinker tiles.
The use of OSB for finishing works outside is often dictated by the need to get the result quickly and with minimal financial and time costs. In such cases, painting is the most common finish.
It is important to consider the following points:
- The ends of the OSB are extremely vulnerable, therefore it is recommended to fill all the gaps with acrylic sealant.
- Sharp edges, edges should have rounding with a radius of 3 mm. So the paint will be evenly distributed over the surface.
- All surfaces are pre-primed. If materials containing water are used, the board should be carefully sanded after the coating is completely dry.
- The paint should be applied in layers, waiting for each layer to dry. It is better to give preference to oily types of paints and varnishes to avoid deformation.
Thus, in order to process oriented strand board, regardless of the purpose of use (arrangement of the floor, partitions replacing walls), you can use the same materials from the family of finishing materials as when processing solid wood boards. For example, they are varnished to protect them from moisture. At the same time, panels have more advantages when compared with other finishing materials. This is the optimal and inexpensive solution for the device of various building structures.
Step number 1: technology of preparatory work
In order to increase adhesion, moisture resistant sheets on floors or walls should be treated with acrylic primer. Before painting the OSB indoors with non-water-based paints, the boards are primed with linseed oil or polyurethane varnish. Synthetic resin primers have proven their worth.
To obtain a perfectly flat plane, craftsmen often putty the entire surface to be treated. To prepare a moisture-resistant slab outside, you need compounds that are used to prime the surface before applying textured and mosaic plasters.
The technique for preparing panels from the outside of the building is practically the same as for interior work. Additionally, it is recommended to treat them with antiseptic compounds and fire retardants. It does not hurt to take into account the fact that the surface quality of each manufacturer is significantly different.
How and how to paint OSB indoors and on the facade?
Wood boards are a fairly high quality and inexpensive material for finishing work. Their original texture is made up of wood chips. The sheet is formed using certain types of polymer resins and adhesives. For better preservation and protection from moisture, OSB panels are treated with special paints. Only in this way the finishing material will be preserved for many years.
Step number 2: how to paint the wood board
In practice, the choice of paint depends on the type of particle board. In this respect, OSB1 and OSB2 are versatile. They can be treated with both water-based dispersions and paints based on PVA or acrylic. It is important to take into account that although these sheets have good hiding power, due to the large porosity, overruns can reach up to 50% in comparison with plywood or wood.
Among professional builders, there are certain rules when processing particle boards with paints and varnishes:
- The paint must be made on a polymer basis, the emulsion in water solution is not suitable for finishing work.
- Acrylate-based formulations will help to make the surface convenient for subsequent cleaning and washing.
- To provide additional protection against moisture, you need to use materials with m alkyd, latex and polyurethane components.
Homeowners who decide to correctly paint OSB indoors should take into account the specifics of the work. First of all, it consists in a particularly pronounced texture of the material. The paint will spread over the body of the chips, so 2-3 coats of paint are required for a high-quality coating. Anyone interested in decorating plates, this fact will even play into the hands. Several layers of color will contribute to the implementation of original visual effects.
Toning and multicolor coloring are generally acceptable only for sheets with pronounced moisture absorption. As for moisture-resistant specimens. In cases where laying on the floor is not provided linoleum with insulation, you should use enamels based on chemical solvents:
. Briefly about the material
- OSB1. Low density panels without water repellent treatment, mainly suitable for interior wall decoration, except for rooms with high humidity.
- OSB2. Have slightly higher strength than the first type, but this board also needs to be protected from moisture by painting.
- OSB3 are the most common panels with high strength and moisture resistance. However, with prolonged contact with moisture, the sheet begins to deform, so the panel outside the building will have to be treated with at least a special impregnation.
- OSB4 is a heavy-duty material that can withstand high humidity environments. But there is also a minus. The high price.
How to prepare and how to paint OSB?
The main difficulty in painting Oriented Strand Board sheets, especially categories 3 and 4, is their high moisture resistance. It is difficult to find a suitable compound that demonstrates decent adhesion, so the board should be pre-sanded with sandpaper to roughen the surface. Do not forget to putty the joints of the sheets using wood putties. Some people prefer to make homemade mixtures using sawdust , gelatin and casein.
How to plaster a slab outside the house?
The question of whether it is possible to putty the surface of the OSB boards is controversial: some experts believe that this coating will not protect the product from cracks on the surface of the facade. Others, on the other hand, recommend using an additional coating because it will refresh gloomy wood panels and serve as protection against moisture and dust.
Carrying out high-quality plastering work on the facade of the building can be performed subject to the following conditions:
- The surface must be covered with an adhesive compound before work;
- The solution applied to the surface with a spatula should not be thinner than three millimeters;
- Using a reinforcing mesh after applying the first layer;
- Coating the surface with an adhesive after the first layer has dried.
The surface of OSB slabs visually looks worthy, and some homeowners leave them at this stage and do not perform additional work on facing the building.
Many experts still recommend covering the slabs with plaster. This will not only give the house individual features, but also protects against external damage. In order to perform high quality plastering, you need to follow the sequence of work:
- When applying the first layer, try to run a wide spatula along the wall to fill in all the recesses on the OSB. For correct application, you need to drive the tool along the wall in arched movements. Completion of the first layer should not be accompanied by streaks along the surface to be coated.
- After the first layer is completely dry, clean the wall with an abrasive mesh and repeat the application of the putty.
- In order to achieve a perfect surface with a smooth gloss, you need to apply at least five consecutive coats.
- After applying the putty, the surface must be dried, after which a layer of paint can be applied to it.
Even experienced craftsmen ask the question of what is the best way to carry out work on filling panels. The process of work can be complicated by the fact that most of the filler materials do not adhere well to the surface made of wood.
Therefore, you need to choose those models of coatings that have the highest adhesion to a wooden surface.
In order for the work to be completed successfully, it is recommended to pay attention on a mixture of Rodband and Goldband. These mixtures are made on a gypsum base with impurities from polymeric materials.
If the owner of the room wants to save on filler material, then it is better to purchase Rodband, its texture is more rigid than that of Goldband, and the price is much lower.
The selection of the finish is also important, and it should be approached thoroughly. In order not to be mistaken with this choice, it is recommended to purchase mix Vitonit KR.
This option for covering OSB panels is the most demanded and justified for outdoor work. This type of finish has a number of features:
- Experienced craftsmen conduct additional waterproofing surfaces with liquid rubber or roofing material;
- For greater stability use plaster mesh, which will prevent the formation of cracks;
- For plastering the mesh, use special composition for carrying out reinforcement in facade structures;
- Plastering of the external facade is accepted finish with a layer of decorative plaster, which will not only be a strong protection from external influences, but also give the building a characteristic individuality.
Craftsmen who have completed work with OSB panels in facade work often ponder the material which is best suited for decoration. The choice of material should directly depend on the performance that the masters plan to endow the house with.
This is one of the simplest and most economical methods, but work should be done carefully. One incorrect application can ruin the overall appearance of the tiles. When carrying out work on painting the surface, you must remember the following rules:
- In paint selected as material for surface coating, must not contain water. Excessive water will swell the panels and ruin the product.
- In the process of work, you need to pay special attention to the edge of the slabs and paint over these places abundantly.
- Experts recommend using oil based paints when carrying out such work. This paint does not damage the structure of the panels and is deeply absorbed, creating a rich color.
- In order for the texture to be completely painted over, you need to apply paint in several layers. Do not forget that each layer must be allowed to dry.
Sometimes the landlord wants extra protect the walls with a fire retardant compound, but one must take into account the fact that not all paints are combined with such impregnations.
In such cases, priming the surface will be an additional treatment, which will be located between the impregnation and the paint layer.
Cladding with siding is an economical way to improve the appearance of a building.
Siding can be reinforced on the installed OSB surface.
Siding panel options are presented in a large number, so if you want, you can choose a model that imitates a block house or brickwork.
The advantage of such cladding is that if OSB boards are already glued to the side of the facade, it is not necessary to mount a flat frame. However, you can’t do without a membrane, which will protect from wind and moisture.
If you do not put this additional mount, then the siding will periodically sweat from the inside, and the OSB will swell under the influence of moisture.
If you choose between two types of siding panels. PVC or acrylic, then you can stop at any type, since there are no significant differences between them.
Facing products are produced in one thickness, ranging from 0.8 to 1.3 millimeters. They are able to withstand temperatures reaching 80 degrees centigrade, and exposure to sunlight, under which they do not fade.
Both species are highly resistant to the spread of fire and chemical reagents. Acrylic panels have a rich color, but otherwise almost do not differ from PVC products.
Is it possible to mount siding directly on OSB. For practical advice on installing siding from professionals, see the:
Many builders sheathe the outer part of the house with OSB (OSB, OSB) with a slab. This material is affordable and of high quality. When the time comes for the final work, the craftsmen think about how to paint the OSB slab on the facade of the house? For the right choice, you need to study all the possible options used for this product.
Finishing of internal partitions
The technology for manufacturing OSB boards involves the use of various binders, such as resins, dyes, essential oils, etc. With direct application of finishing materials, these substances can appear on subsequent layers of the coating. Therefore, finishing OSB indoors should begin with applying a primer.
Some board manufacturers add wax or paraffin to the resins so that their work surface becomes smooth and slippery. To work with such slabs, it is necessary to use a primer paint containing quartz sand, which helps the following coating elements to adhere to the surface.
After priming, the OSB board can be treated with any facing materials:
- Varnish. The technology for using varnish is the same as for flooring.
- Paint. It is better to use water-based paints and varnishes, since they are better steam permeable, which provides a more comfortable indoor climate. Usually the same paints are used for interior work as for ordinary wood. When using water-based paint types, some deformation of the board is possible due to swelling of chips in it, therefore, before use, it is advisable to evaluate the effect of a particular coating on a test panel.
- Wallpaper. It is not recommended to glue wallpaper directly onto the board for the reasons described above. They are fixed on a pre-primed wall using wallpaper glue with the addition of PVA.
OSB surface finishing for flooring
To build a flat surface for finishing the floors, OSB-3 plates are used. This category has sufficient strength and moisture resistance in order to provide a reliable base for floors installed both on concrete screed and on wooden logs located directly above the open ground.
Depending on the type of floors, different types of coatings can be laid on the OSB board:
- Varnish. OSB boards are painted with varnish in several layers on a thoroughly cleaned and degreased surface. If more demands are made on the quality of the floor, it is better to use sanded slabs, otherwise the base must be sanded with sandpaper or an iron brush, sanded by hand and then primed. After varnishing, the surface of the board retains its structure and forms a flat and smooth surface.
- Roll materials. To cover with linoleum or carpet, it is necessary to ensure that there are no irregularities in the contact points of the plates. For this, the expansion joints are sealed with an elastic silicone sealant and carefully cleaned. Best results are obtained with slabs of minimum thickness.
- Tile. For the installation of tiles, it is necessary to use special adhesives for joining ceramics and wood.
- Laminate. When using this floor covering, you only need to prepare a flat base, which, with proper installation of OSB boards, turns out to be almost ideal.
How to cover the OSB slab. The secrets of finishing and installation
For repairs in an apartment, as well as in the construction of individual frame houses, a relatively new material is increasingly being used, which is called an oriented strand board (OSB or OSB, if you use transliteration from English).
The use of OSB boards makes it easy to fill large areas with a light, even and solid base, without spending a lot of time and money on it.
However, after the end of this work, the question often arises of how to cover the OSB board in order to preserve its appearance and operational properties for a long time. In this article, we will give some practical advice on how to finish the finishing of various structures made of OSB.
Where OSB plates are used
The growing popularity of OSB determines their use in a wide variety of areas, from construction to the production of furniture, packaging and interior decoration of the bodies of freight transport. Most often, the problem of surface treatment occurs when carrying out the following types of work:
- The device of floors;
- Installation of internal partitions and floors;
- External cladding of frame houses.
External finishing of OSB boards
The use of oriented strand boards as external cladding requires compliance with certain rules arising from the characteristics of OSB. Of course, the optimal solution is to use traditional types of finishes. Clinker tiles, siding or clapboard, however, the use of OSB in construction is often dictated by the need to obtain a result at the lowest cost, therefore, OSB painting is the most popular.
For this, any dye intended for external processing of ordinary wood is suitable. It is especially important to consider the following points:
- The most vulnerable part of the OSB board is its ends. Therefore, for the treatment of the expansion gap between the plates, it is necessary to use an acrylic sealant and be careful to ensure that it evenly fills all existing cavities.
- Experts recommend that all sharp edges and edges be machined until rounded with a radius of at least 3 mm. This is necessary to evenly distribute the paint over the surface of the board.
- All surfaces must be primed and sealed prior to final coating.
Thus, for the treatment of surfaces from OSB panels, in most cases, you can use the same finishing materials as for a conventional solid board. At the same time, such products are easy to assemble, form an even layer and withstand the required load well. Therefore, OSB boards are the optimal solution for a quick and inexpensive construction of building structures.