How To Cut The Plinth Of A Stretch Ceiling
How to remove a decorative molding from a stretch ceiling. basic recommendations
A stretch ceiling is a great way to give a room a stylish and neat look.
The advantages of this coating are obvious. It is attractive, resistant to temperature and humidity extremes, does not change color under the influence of sunlight, has a long service life, reliably hides any defects in the ceiling plate. In addition, the D-Premium fabric of the German manufacturer and the PVC film Pongs used to create the stretch ceiling are available in a wide range of colors. over, these materials can be repainted and even patterned on them. Thanks to this, you can create a truly unique interior in the room.
As a rule, after the installation of the stretch ceiling is completed, decorative skirting boards are installed. In addition to the aesthetic effect, this element has another important purpose. it hides the seam formed between the ceiling and the wall at the PVC ceilings. But what to do if a new renovation is planned in the room, how to remove the plinth from the stretch ceiling?
As a rule, when installing a decorative ceiling plinth (fillet, baguette), the product is glued to the wall. Fixing it to the ceiling is highly undesirable. First of all, traces of glue can appear on the surface, which cannot be eliminated. That is, the attractiveness of the ceiling will be reduced. In addition, with a new renovation, it is the wallpaper that most often changes, while the ceiling and floor covering, as materials with a long service life, are not removed. Accordingly, it is more rational to fix the fillet to the wall.
There are several ways to remove a ceiling molding. The easiest is to pull a little on it. Ceiling skirting boards are easy to remove. It is enough to simply pry them in several places with a clerical knife or a spatula (insert the blade 2-3 cm between the wall and the baseboard). Then the skirting board can be easily removed.
Foam baguettes are a little more difficult to remove. The fact is that this material is residually fragile. Accordingly, during dismantling, you should be prepared for the fact that the baseboard will break, crumble. You won’t be able to reuse it. A thin spatula should also be used for dismantling. It is carefully inserted between the wall and the baguette, and gradually shifts to the side, tearing off this element. You can also use a wide knife. After the element is dismantled, the wall surface should be cleaned from the remains of foam and glue.
It is rather difficult to remove the ceiling plinth from the stretch ceiling, if it is glued to the covering. During the dismantling process, do not use knives and spatulas. sharp objects can easily damage thin material, as a result of which the ceiling will be damaged. You can try to heat the baguette a little with a hairdryer. But this should be done very carefully. The PVC film from which the stretch ceiling is made is quite sensitive to high temperatures. That is, overheating can lead to the fact that the coating simply begins to melt.
If the stretch ceiling is made of polyurethane-impregnated polyester fabric, it is more resistant to high temperatures. But the upper limit is 80 ° C. And you should not exceed it. After heating, the baguette will easily move away from the surface. On the one hand, the process of dismantling the skirting board is quite simple. But, if you want to peel off the plinth from the stretch ceiling without damaging the surface, it is better to invite specialists who can do it quickly and accurately.
Plastic curtain rods
Plastic skirting boards are constructively executed with a groove-lock and are intended for a harpoon system for fastening a tension cloth. The molding is simply inserted into the recess of the profile without the use of glue, which significantly speeds up installation. Additional add-on elements for internal and external corners eliminate the need for filing for joining.
- Quick and easy installation thanks to a special latch;
- No finishing is required in the form of fillet painting and joint filler;
- Absolute moisture resistance of the material and easy maintenance;
- Greatest durability and strength.
- Limited use. suitable exclusively for harpoon mounting system;
- Lack of variety. only one white model available;
- The need to level the walls. the plastic skirting board will not hide the unevenness.
Fillets are also produced from MDF, wood and plaster. Their installation is difficult and requires additional fastening. The heaviness of the products makes such baguettes dangerous and incompatible with a stretch ceiling.
Styrofoam or polyurethane eaves are the most suitable type of ceiling molding. Consumer qualities allow such fillets to be used for a long time.
Since the plinth is attached only to the wall, you should choose baguettes with a wide vertical part of the profile section, this will increase the adhesion of the polymer to the surface. For reliable fixation, the glue strip must be continuous and completely cover the part in width.
Styrofoam skirting boards
Due to its wide range and ease of installation, this is the most popular type of fillets. Foam skirting boards are made from expanded polystyrene. The surface of the molding can be flat or voluminous with various patterns that imitate stucco molding. A wide variety of models allows you to decorate a room in any style. Borders are sold white, but can be easily painted if desired.
- Lightweight. securely fastened, in case of an accidental fall, they will not harm anyone;
- Durability. can last 15-20 years;
- Low water and vapor absorption (3%). can be used in bathrooms;
- Easy cleaning with a vacuum cleaner or liquid detergents;
- Low price. the cheapest of the ceiling curbs: 13-20 rubles / piece.
- Resistance to solvents and materials based on them;
- Fragility and inability to bend. even walls are required, otherwise the mount will turn out to be unreliable;
- Low heat resistance. should not be placed close to lamps;
- Releases styrene on combustion;
- Turns yellow when exposed to direct sunlight.
Which skirting board is better to glue on stretch ceilings
Various materials are used to make decorative baguettes. The most common are polymer eaves. Consider their varieties and characteristics in order to choose the right product.
How to glue foam ceiling skirting boards
To glue foam baguettes on a stretch ceiling, you can use the following tools:
- Liquid nails. from this line, the universal glue Moment or specialized for expanded polystyrene. INSTALLATION express decor will do. It is a white water-resistant composition, intended for decorative friezes, safe for humans and will not damage the foam. You need a dispensing gun to work.
- Polymer glue. Eco-set, Titan, Master, Elitans. Special agent for gluing expanded polystyrene products. It is a transparent water-based composition. It is cheaper, but the setting time is longer, you have to press the baguettes against the wall for 5-10 seconds. The workflow is lengthening.
- PVA. the glue is safe, it can be easily removed with a damp cloth. The disadvantages include high consumption and a long setting time. about 3 minutes.
- Acrylic putty. Uniprof, MasterTeks HM. Water-resistant solvent-free adhesive based on acrylic dispersion. Suitable for all decorative polystyrene and polyurethane products. Features a high drying rate.
The composition for gluing baguettes can be made by hand. To do this, it is necessary to mix in a ratio of 4 to 1 the finishing putty and PVA glue, gradually adding water until the consistency of sour cream is obtained. When the solution becomes homogeneous, let it stand for 10 minutes, stir again and start working.
How to properly glue the ceiling plinth to the stretch ceiling: step by step instructions
When installing a stretch ceiling, a technological gap remains between the curtain and the wall. You can close the gap with a special decorative insert or ceiling plinth. It is also called a fillet, molding, frieze, baguette, curb or interior cornice. But not every skirting board is suitable for this type of finish. The installation technology also differs, since, unlike conventional painted ceilings, the tension structure does not form a solid surface. In order to securely attach the frieze and not spoil the coating, it is important to know the specifics of the process. Let’s consider in detail the pros and cons of various types of skirting boards, the necessary tools and adhesives, as well as the order of work.
Such moldings are denser and more durable compared to foam. Polyurethane curtain rods are made from a polymer that does not contain toxic styrene. The surface can be flat, with decorative elements or a relief pattern. Stucco models look like plaster, but are much cheaper. Unlike delicate foam, polyurethane is resistant to mechanical stress. Baguettes are easy to clean and can be painted with acrylic paints in any color.
- Strong, reliable and durable type of molding;
- Flexible models conceal uneven walls well, ideal for finishing columns and bay windows;
- The material is resistant to high and low temperatures;
- The dense structure makes it easy to clean and the PU does not absorb odors, making it ideal for the kitchen.
- High price. at least twice as expensive as foam: from 42 rubles / piece;
- heavy, special glue is required, and large-sized fillets are additionally fastened with self-tapping screws;
- You will need a miter saw to cut hard baseboards;
- glue consumption.
Is it possible to glue a plinth to a stretch ceiling
As a mask for the technological gap, craftsmen, as a rule, offer a decorative insert. This solution is simpler, faster and is included in the cost of the work. A more beautiful way to close the gap is to glue a foam or polyurethane border to the stretch ceiling. It is easy to cope with this task on your own, but you can only fix the plinth to the walls.
Fillets must not be glued directly to the stretch ceiling for the following reasons:
- The structure is a fabric stretched over the ceiling or a thin PVC film, which will quickly sag under the weight of the skirting board.
- Adhesives can damage or dissolve the canvas.
- When the glue dries, wrinkles may form on the ceiling.
- It will not be possible to replace the decorative cornice. the PVC film will be deformed and traces of glue will remain.
Preparation of tools and calculation of materials
To work, you need the following tools:
- Stepladder or sturdy stable table.
- Roulette and pencil.
- Chopping cord.
- Stationery knife and miter box for trimming plinths in the corners.
- Dispensing gun or small metal spatula, depending on the adhesive used.
- Thin plastic or rubber spatula for filling joints and removing excess mixture.
- Medium-hard paint brush.
From materials you will need:
- Foam Adhesive.
- Finishing putty or sealant for filling cracks and eliminating joints before painting.
- Plastic wrap to avoid staining the stretch ceiling.
- Cloth for removing excess glue.
To correctly calculate the required number of baguettes, you need to measure the length and width of the room and calculate the perimeter using the formula: P = 2 (ab). Then add 15-20 cm for each corner, find the sum of the values and divide by the standard length of the plinth (2 m). The result obtained needs to be rounded up and add one or two details in case of possible damage. If the layout of the room has a complex configuration, the area is divided into separate segments, then summed up.
An example of calculating the required number of baguettes for a rectangular room measuring 6×3 meters with four corners:
- Perimeter: 2 (63) = 18 m.
- For corners: 40.2 = 0.8 m.
- Total length: 180.8 = 18.8 m.
- Number of strips: 18.8: 2 = 9.4 pcs. The result is rounded to 10.
Thus, you should purchase 11-12 skirting boards, of which 1-2 for unforeseen circumstances.
Method for cutting a ceiling plinth without a miter box
To neatly dock fillets in the inner corners, you can do without a miter box.
We carry out the work in the following order:
- We apply the end part of the baguette to the sheet of paper and outline the outline of the convex side. It is more convenient to use a small piece of plinth (if any).
Cut out the resulting template.
We transfer the contour to the surface of the baguette with a simple pencil.
Cut along the drawn curve.
For fitting, one plinth is applied tightly with the end part to the wall, and then the second.
Features of cutting ceiling plinths in a miter box
It is necessary to work with this device with extreme care so as not to blunt the tool and not leave cuts in unnecessary places. In the process, we adhere to the following instructions:
- We fix the baguette in the miter box in the same way as it is planned to place it on the wall. The side that will be pressed against the ceiling on the miter box must lie against the sidewall.
We insert a cutting tool (hacksaw or knife) into the desired gap and cut the fillet.
How to cut a ceiling plinth
One of the most difficult steps in installing skirting boards is cutting them correctly. Only by correctly joining the individual elements at the outer and inner corners will you get the desired result. Fillets will look aesthetically pleasing and neat if you cut them off at the right angle and seal the cracks. A special tool (miter box) is used to accomplish this task. And if it is not, then other devices will help.
Technique for cutting ceiling skirting boards
This method can be used if your corners are even and you want to trim the baguette exactly 45 degrees. To do this, before cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to draw a miter box on thick paper. Draw two parallel mowing lines and mark the angles at the desired degrees using a protractor.
We place the fillet in this case in the same way as on a traditional miter box. Please note that you need to cut the skirting board holding the tool in a strictly vertical position.
Selection of tools for cutting ceiling skirting boards
To properly and accurately cut the skirting board, you need to use a suitable cutting tool. It is chosen depending on the material from which the fillets are made:
- Styrofoam. It is characterized by low strength and is relatively inexpensive, and therefore foam models are becoming more and more popular. Their strength does not particularly affect the performance characteristics, since usually the ceiling plinth is not subjected to mechanical stress. A regular stationery knife is suitable for cutting.
Extruded polystyrene foam. A cheap material with a density several times higher than that of foam. Because of this, it is a little more difficult to cut it, and therefore a sharp and thin knife is used for this purpose.
especially if made of hardwood. Before cutting wood ceiling plinths, stock up on a hacksaw.
In addition to the tool for direct cutting of the baguette, you will need a miter box. This is a special device made of wood, plastic or metal in the form of a box with notches on the sides. A hacksaw or knife can be inserted into it at the desired angle. Thus, the cutting angle is as accurate as possible.
- We knock three planks of 5015 cm with a long edge into the shape of a three-sided, rectangular box. Please note that an angle of 90 degrees must be respected between the side rails and the transverse board.
Using a protractor, mark an angle of 45 degrees on the bars. Instead of a protractor, you can use a school square. In it, one angle is 90 degrees, and the other two are 45.
Rules for cutting ceiling skirting boards
This method is used to cut skirting boards in cases where there is neither a miter box nor parts from which it can be made.
To do this, you need to make markings on the wall in this order:
- We put the baguette in the corner to the place of fastening.
Along its one edge, we draw the base line on the ceiling for the level of attachment.
We apply the fillet in the same way to the perpendicularly drawn mowing line on the ceiling and again draw a straight line along one side. We should have two segments that intersect at one point.
We again apply two plinths in turn and mark this point on them.
We repeat the same procedure now on the wall to mark on the products the place of cutting from below.
We connect two points with a line. It can run at an angle of 38-45 degrees, since walls and corners in living rooms are often uneven.
Cutting technology for ceiling plinths
For a prompt and high-quality work, you need to choose a tool in accordance with the material of the baseboard and choose a cutting method. If you have a miter box, then there will be no particular difficulties in the process. If it is not there, then two options are possible: cut according to the template and measurements on the ceiling or make this tool yourself.
Tips for cutting ceiling plinths
When working with a miter box, there are two things to consider:
- The inner corner of the ceiling plinth is formed from two elements: the first one we put on the right in the miter box and cut from right to left, the second we start from the left and cut from left to right.
In addition, you need to know the following nuances before cutting the skirting board:
- Before you start cutting a baguette with a miter box, try cutting a test strip to avoid mistakes.
You can make the correct measurements by measuring the length of the inner corners of the strip along the inner side, and the outer ones from the point of the inner corner to the width of the fillet deep into the room.
If the baguette is installed under a stretch ceiling, then it should only be attached to the wall. The adhesive should never get onto the vinyl.
The final fixing of the skirting board should be carried out only after the exact fit of the plank.
If the corners and walls in the room are even, then the fitting can be done on the floor.
When installing baguettes, it may be necessary to adjust them several times, therefore, stock up on tools and patience.
Instead of a template and a miter box, you can cut in the corner between the wall and the floor, or by moving the table against the wall. In this case, on the wall, ceiling and baguette, you need to mark the cutting angle of the end.
If you are interested in the question of how to cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box, and you do not have time to use templates, you can purchase special corner inserts in advance. They will hide gaps, but will protrude and stand out on the surface.
If you have a skirting board made of valuable wood species, then you need to cut and install it very carefully, since a large amount of putty for sealing joints will be too noticeable, and painting over a baguette is an inappropriate decision, because this way you will hide the natural texture of the solid wood.
Polystyrene foam products do not have to fit close to each other due to the soft texture, but wooden and plastic models should be well matched.
In this case, cut the plinth at an angle equal to half the joint. For example, if the walls are joined at an angle of 120 degrees, then we cut the fillet at an angle of 60 degrees.
How to remove skirting from stretch ceilings: different types of baguettes
Ceiling plinth is a popular decorative element that is found at the junction of the ceiling and wall. It is required to mask possible visual defects, to give the interior a finished look. In some cases, it becomes necessary to remove it from the ceiling. This happens during a new renovation, when updating the interior, or if an old element is worn out.
You can cope with this task yourself, no special skills are required. However, you need to act carefully so as not to damage the stretch fabric. To do this, it is recommended to follow our advice and choose the right tools.
What you need to work?
To remove this element, you will have to find a number of tools and materials. They directly depend on the type of fastening and the material of the plinth. In any case, it is important to act carefully so as not to damage the surface of the walls and ceiling. Ideal removal is when the decor element can be re-pasted.
Among the tools you will need the following if the element is glued or nailed:
- A hammer.
- Chisel. Alternatively, choose a flathead screwdriver.
- Wooden wedges.
- Flexible, small and thin spatula or scraper.
- Special knife: shoe or ordinary clerical.
- Nailer or crowbar.
Removing the ceiling decor element
Skirting board material
The easiest way is to remove the plastic element. It is attached to the dowel-nails. To get rid of the detail, carefully remove the decorative strip. After that, they take out the wires from the cable channel, if they are laid, unscrew the screws. If you wish, you can simply install the element in place.
Another possible baseboard material is plaster molding. In this case, touching it is not recommended. It is hardly possible to remove the decor carefully. You can try to run a knife along the joints and push the knife deeper. In some cases, it is possible to remove the stucco. If this does not work, wet the plaster of Paris and beat it with a hammer.
Decorative parts are made of foam or polystyrene. They are attached to special glue. To remove such an element, a ceiling of warm air is directed to the material. In a short period of time, the glue will soften, the decor is removed with a thin spatula or knife. It is not recommended to touch the material with your hands, as warm air softens it and makes it susceptible to mechanical damage.
The hardest part is getting rid of wood or polyurethane skirting boards. They are attached with glue or nails. The dismantling of the element attached to the putty or adhesive starts from the corner or from the side of the door. To do this, use a mallet or thin spatula. A sharp knife is passed along the joint, obtaining a kind of slit. The element is propped up from below with a spatula, and the handle is tapped with a mallet. The tool should gently penetrate the gap and cut the skirting board.
You can remove the decor attached to the nails by embroidering the fastening seams with a knife. Additionally, they are still filled with paint and varnish material. The chisel is driven into the gap located against the wall using a mallet. It turns out a gap where a corner of wood is inserted. The actions are carefully repeated, gradually removing the plinth.
The process of dismantling the ceiling decor element
Now you know how to remove the skirting board. In general, the work is not difficult, so you don’t have to call the master. The most common reason for the removal of this part is an unaesthetic appearance and a desire to install a new structure. To exclude any complications and difficulties, pay attention to. It illustrates the steps of removing a stretch ceiling, including a ceiling plinth.
Is it possible to make a stretch ceiling without a plinth?
Stretch ceilings are especially popular today. Due to their durability, practicality, the ability to choose a budget option, in addition, they are easy to clean. They have many designs and accessories. One of which can be called a skirting board. But sometimes some owners refuse it. Let’s find out why.
Criterias of choice
There are many criteria for choosing plugs. First of all, it is the appearance. In the end, the main reason why a plug is used instead of a plinth is a fundamental difference in design properties, so let’s talk about the differences in the appearance of plugs.
First of all, note that the caps are always the same color. It may be a beautiful imitation of stucco molding, but it will be only white or only yellow. This is due to the fact that any complication of the pattern leads to an increase in the cost of production, which means a decrease in demand.
However, there is a whole group of people who do not want to use skirting boards, but want to accentuate the walls. For this category of people, multi-colored decorative cords were invented, usually in dark shades, which perfectly separate the space of the floor and ceiling. The cord looks like an interlacing of two ropes of the same or different shades and is attached using the same method as the plug.
Why are all caps in the same color? It so happened that initially the plugs were only white and black. The plugs were made for people with small apartments, who made stretch ceilings for themselves, but did not have an alternative to skirting boards that “ate up” the entire space. Therefore, the plugs were one-color: such colors visually expand the space. When a demand for colored plugs appeared on the market, the manufacturer simply added a dye to them without changing the production technology itself.
In addition to color, there is a criterion for fixing the plug. There are:
- The most common T-plugs. Thanks to the bifurcated end, such a plug protects the space behind itself from the appearance of dust, since it covers part of the wall and part of the stretch ceiling. Ordinary skirting boards are at a distance, since the materials of the skirting board and PVC fabric, when in contact, can cause mutual chemical and mechanical corrosion.
- It happens that you have to close up curved mowing lines at the junction of the ceiling and wall. In this case, the T-joint is not flexible enough to fill the curved opening without many joints. Therefore, I use the L-shaped section.
- The third type of seal is mushroom plugs. They are useful for sealing cutouts for spotlights or openings at the junction of the canvas when installing soaring stretch ceilings.
T-shaped plug for stretch ceilings
It is worth noting that there are various patterns of plugs that allow not only to close the opening, but also to decorate the room. In general, the plug opens up quite a few possibilities for working with visual effects indoors. For instance:
- Glossy cap will make the room look taller and brighter.
- Matte will make the room more spacious.
You can also choose depending on the width of the tape. If the width is less than 7-8 cm, then this is more of a stub than a decorative element. But a color-coded stub with a pattern will become a new option for furnishing the interior.
Pros and cons of ceilings without a plinth
The fact is that the skirting board visually enlarges only sufficiently spacious rooms. In a small room, such a technique, on the contrary, will clutter up the space, so it makes sense to use ceilings with a plug instead of a plinth. This is not the only plus of stubs, here you can also include:
- Low cost and the ability to change the plug at any time. It seems useless, but the fact is that today plugs are produced in a fairly large range of models. That is, you can change the edging of the ceiling and link it to the new walls without dismantling the structure. The ceiling plinth is attached with glue, and the plug or decorative cord is simply inserted into the groove and then just as easily detached for technical cleaning of the groove.
- Low price. The plug is a simple PVC construction kit. There is not a single structurally complex element or element made of expensive material, so there is no reason to pay an unnecessarily high price for this element. Just as it makes no sense for the seller to make it more expensive.
- High aesthetic properties. and more often designers are fond of minimalistic interiors, but what minimalism is possible with classic skirting boards that send us to the era of classicism with its stucco molding, and not to a supernova apartment with neon lights. But the stubs look quite progressive. By the way, next to them you can arrange all the same neon lights, which makes the room even more interesting.
A stretch ceiling without a plinth looks aesthetically pleasing
The downside of the plug is that it does not go well enough with the wallpaper. Firstly, you need to glue the wallpaper before installing the plug, otherwise gaps between the plug and the wallpaper canvas will surely appear, and secondly, some unscrupulous manufacturers use hard plastic additives, which is why the plug can simply tear the wallpaper canvas.
What is a plinth for??
Basically, it performs a decorative function, and there is no urgent need for it. However, the skirting board helps with the following things:
- Masking gaps when installing a stretch ceiling.
- Closing leaks between ceiling and wall.
- Hiding uneven and ugly corners, chips or mounting flaws.
- The presence of a plinth helps to visually increase the height of the room.
- In addition, there are possibilities for an interesting design of the skirting board and the room, for example, the lighting built into the skirting board will serve as a soft and dim light at night.
As you can see, there are only one pluses in using the skirting board. But if you decide not to install it, then it is necessary to ensure a perfectly even ratio and docking of the walls and ceiling so that there are no black gaps and crevices.
But the fact is that this only applies to ordinary ceilings. For stretch ceilings, a plinth is necessary precisely because, as a result of installation, the profile under which the PVC ceiling sheet is filled will be visible. At the same time, the appearance of the profile is far from aesthetic. Therefore, skirting boards are used in order to cover this inevitable, in general, gap between the wall and the ceiling.
The plinth is needed to mask the gaps of the stretch ceiling
In addition, this gap is also at the top, that is, the ascending warm air currents will somehow carry the masses of dust into these cracks. It will be almost impossible to wash this dust, therefore it will be better and easier to use skirting boards, which are much easier to use, including in terms of washing.
Subtleties of installation
Installation is not particularly difficult. Any plug has a comb that is inserted into the groove of the guide that holds the stretch ceiling.
At the same time, installation is done by simply pulling the tape off. simply and quickly. Therefore, very often, instead of washing the PVC tape or cord, they are simply dismantled and sent to the washing machine or washed on the ground.
As you can see, traditional solutions in this case were not the only ones. Skirting boards are good, but not the best way to mask the technical gap between the wall and the ceiling. There is a whole industry of stubs out there that offers a stylish and unusual way out of the situation. At the same time, there is a fairly large selection of such tapes on the market, they are easy to install and operate, and also have high aesthetic properties.
We install a rubber skirting board for stretch ceilings
Rubber products are very practical and easy to install and maintain. They are well attached, perfectly cleaned. They are used in ceiling systems in the form of decorative inserts for suspended ceilings. Another of the iconic advantages of such a product is its flexibility, which is important for multi-level ceilings, uneven elements. The rubber molding is varied in color palette, it can be matched to any shade of the ceiling. This makes it possible to use it not only in a classic home design, but also in any social, entertainment space. Installation is not difficult, the skirting board is mounted in the profile of the ceiling system. No additional tools other than a small spatula are needed. The baguette is inserted into the groove of the profile and pressed inward, with a spatula helping to press it into place.
Which skirting boards are best for stretch ceilings
The building products market today offers three main types of fillet materials for stretch ceilings:
- Polyfoam is a budget finishing option, it has a large selection of options, which makes it possible to design ideas, it is easy to install. In terms of its qualities, polystyrene is a fragile material, the bending of a baguette can lead to its deterioration. Installation must be carried out using special glue, excluding any kind of solvent that can dissolve foam.
- Polyurethane is a material that is unique in its properties and has a high degree of flexibility. Due to this, you can arrange any bends, turns of the ceiling, lay the baguette around the column. The fillet can have a special groove, which facilitates its installation on the profile of the ceiling material. Polyurethane products are distinguished by their high strength and high price.
- PVC fillets are plastic products that are made in the form of different structures, which allows you to perfectly fit the appropriate format into the interior of the room. Fillets are not flexible, they can be mounted on the ceiling profile. The disadvantage is the color change over time, which is common in all plastic materials of this kind.
In addition to decorative elements of the perimeter design, there are different types of stretch ceiling inserts.
Decorative plinth made of wood for stretch ceilings
In addition to standard skirting boards, plaster or wood fillets can be used. This is a specific option for finishing ceilings, but in practice it takes place. This method is ideal for decorating wooden houses. Also, a wooden plinth will find its purpose if an interior solution requires it. Wood is a noble material, so it can be an ideal option for decorating expensive, respectable premises. A distinctive feature of wooden skirting boards is their complete impossibility to bend, so they must be mounted on a perfectly flat surface and geometry, otherwise the gaps between the skirting board and the wall will radically spoil all the beauty.
What plinth is needed for curved stretch ceilings
In practice, there are ceilings of complex shapes, with non-standard bends, turns, levels. Such masterpieces require special skirting boards, because standard fillets, no matter how flexible they are, will not fit into place. This is why special Flex skirting boards are available that are ideal for finishing complex ceiling systems. The cost of these materials, in relation to standard fillets, is high, but there are no other options for finishing the complex shape of the ceilings.
How to eliminate gaps between a stretch ceiling and a skirting board
In addition to the installation of a baguette using a special profile, its installation can be carried out by means of ordinary gluing on a wall or canvas. There is one problem here, which is the loose fit of the baguette, from which visible cracks are formed. There are few solutions to this problem. Firstly, it is recommended to use a flexible molding so that it follows the unevenness of the wall. And if the distance was formed after the glue dries, then you can use an acrylic sealant. The opening at the tube is best made small and squeezed out with a pistol. The procedure must be carried out with extreme caution, because there is a risk of damage to the tension web. If the sealant gets on the material, then after removing it, there is a high probability of leaving stains.
Do you always need ceiling skirting boards for a stretch ceiling
The stretch ceiling is not always accompanied by the installation of a ceiling plinth. It happens that there is no need to mount a baguette for the interior. In addition to the design, the absence can be justified by the low device of the canvas, which will create an additional effect of inconvenience in the presence of skirting boards. In this case, you can use a stretch ceiling plug. Its purpose is to close the distance between the canvas and the wall. The plug is flush mounted inside the profile, so its presence does not hide the space at all. The product can be made of flexible materials, which allows it to be mounted on complex, multi-level ceilings. The disadvantage of such a plinth will be the presence of gaps between the ceiling and the wall, if the latter has a curvature. Therefore, it is better to use plugs in the presence of flat surfaces so as not to spoil the appearance of the ceiling covering.
How to install a skirting board on a stretch ceiling
Installation of skirting boards is an unusual task, because using the traditional method of gluing the baguette is not always a good option. The installation method of the skirting board depends on the installation system of the curtain. A special profile, on which the ceiling is fixed, provides for the possibility of installing a skirting board on it. There are the following fastening systems:
- Shtapikovoe. is the most common and inexpensive option for attaching the canvas and ceiling molding;
- Wedge. is a good option with a higher cost, but with the highest probability of system reliability. It is used for installation on curved walls, it is easy to install and further repair.
Accordingly, the type of fastening is responsible for the shape and method of installing the baguette on the ceiling. Another thing is that there is a fairly large selection of skirting boards that differ in shape and color palette.
Skirting board for stretch ceiling
The maklovitsa brush, whitewash, chalk are the paraphernalia of a ceiling renovator in the 90s. Today, there are much more opportunities, as well as the availability and variety of building materials. Ceilings began to be made suspended, multilevel, curly, tension, thus giving them a beautiful appearance. Of all the options, stretch ceilings can be considered the most convenient, practical, characterized by prompt installation and ease of maintenance. The installation of such ceilings is carried out by the specialists of the companies; self-installation can lead to many errors. The finished stretch fabric is not the final version of the ceiling. The final stage is the installation of special skirting boards for the stretch ceiling, which should close the gaps formed between the profiles, the canvas and the wall.
Polyurethane skirting board for stretch ceilings features and installation
The most common option is a polyurethane ceiling molding. Convenient for installation and affordable. It is fixed directly to the wall, which must be free of wallpaper, paint and other decorative materials at the attachment point. Fastened to the plastered surface with a putty or special compound. For accurate execution, it is necessary to mark the lower edge of the plinth, prepare the surface in this area. To remove the corners, you must use a special machine on which the baguette is cut to a specific angle. It is recommended to try the products in place before gluing in order to exclude the possibility of making mistakes. Dismantling in the event of incorrect installation may damage the material. After gluing, the remnants of the protruding mixture are removed, the cracks are treated with a sealant. Further, the drying time is given according to the instructions of the applied adhesive.
How to choose the right ceiling plinth?
When installing a stretch ceiling yourself, you will have to select the plinth yourself. The choice is large enough, so you need to know the basic criteria for a good product. There are special skirting boards depending on the installation method.
As we remember, the installation of a PVC stretch ceiling can be carried out using harpoon, wedge or glazing methods. The plug can only match with an aluminum molding, or it can be universal.
Skirting board advantages
Various words can be used to designate a plinth: fillet, insert, tape. In addition to the name, everything remains unchanged, in any case, this is a product that is often made of PVC, and its installation is carried out with one click, inserting it into the existing gap.
The main advantages of the skirting board include:
- The ability to easily remove and reinstall the skirting board in the future. This is very useful, because you will probably want sometime to re-glue the wallpaper or change the cover of the stretch ceiling.
- Ease of installation. You can install such a plug yourself in a matter of minutes. Such products often have a soft structure, which makes it easier to work with them.
- A wide assortment implies the possibility of choosing the most optimal option for any interior, be it a business style of decoration or a children’s room. The skirting board will look harmonious and, if you match the color with the ceiling, it will even be invisible against its background.
Of the shortcomings, only two can be distinguished:
- Not everyone likes the simplicity of the skirting board, some designers like more style solutions.
- Products are able to close the gap between the ceiling and walls, but they cannot hide the unevenness of the walls.
Types of skirting boards
By their shape, ceiling plinths are distinguished:
- If your walls have a perfectly smooth and even surface, the profiles in the form of the letter T or F are suitable for you.
- If you have plaster on the walls or vinyl wallpaper, use the S-shaped inserts. They work well for uneven walls. The shape of the letter SL, which indicates the softness of the flange of the product.
- You can simulate a skirting board with an L-shaped product, which is inserted into the baguette with one edge and into the wall with the other.
Details about the nuances of installing and using skirting boards for stretch ceilings
The final touch in the installation of a stretch ceiling is the installation of the skirting board. It performs two functions at once: decorative, to create a beautiful view of the room, and also masks the formed gap between the ceiling and walls.
The construction market offers a large selection of skirting boards for stretch ceilings. You can choose the appropriate color, shape and material from which it will be made.
Installation of skirting boards for stretch ceilings
Installation of a ceiling plinth on a stretch ceiling does not take much time. You yourself can install the product in a matter of seconds. The plinth is installed at the last stage of the ceiling installation
In order to visually see how the installation of the ceiling plinth under the stretch ceiling is carried out, look below.
We hope that our article was useful to you.
Have a nice renovation. NIKOMAX. Your stretch ceilings.