How To Cut Tiles At Home
Do you know how to cut floor tiles at home using the tools at hand??
With the advancement of technology, the popularity of ceramic flooring in buildings has increased. It is difficult to imagine kitchens, bathrooms and corridors without tiles, but ceramic coverings with heating are increasingly used for living rooms. Floor tiles are easy to clean, reliable, durable and visually attractive. Also, such coatings do not burn, are not afraid of water and do not cause allergies among residents.
- Technology for cutting tiles for the floor in the apartment
- Glass cutter and stationery knife
- Tile cutter tongs
- Angle Grinder
Laying tiles on the floor is not particularly difficult. Attention deserves how to properly cut or saw such material not “for wood”, but for the floor. Of course, such precise work can only be done by qualified specialists who use special equipment to cut tiles. a mechanical or electric tile cutter equipped with a diamond wheel and water supply directly to the cut line. With this device you can easily and quickly cut tiles.
Tile cutters are available mechanical and electrical
At home, it is not always possible to use a professional tile cutting tool. Firstly, it is not always advisable, since laying floor and wall tiles takes up a small part of the total repair volume. Secondly, the tile cutter has a fairly high cost, but allows you to work only with certain tile sizes.
He may not cope with non-standard options. Ceramic floor tiles differ from wall tiles in their thickness, relief, strength and structure. It takes more effort to cut it. Craftsmen have learned to solve such problems at home with the help of improvised tools and means. It is recommended to take advantage of their rich experience.
Floor tiles can be cut with:
- Threaded lathe tool with a ruler;
- Glass cutter;
- Drills with a victorious tip;
- Hacksaws for metal with an abrasive bar;
- “Angle Grinder”;
- Ordinary office knife;
- Tile cutter-tongs.
Glass cutter and stationery knife
The main thing when cutting with these tools is accuracy and precision of movements. You need to act calmly and consistently:
This option is more suitable for cutting thick tiles.
- Use a flat surface of the floor, table or stool;
- Put the tiles on it with the front side up, make the necessary marks and draw the line with a ruler and pencil;
- Attach a ruler to the mowing line until it is completely aligned;
- Make a clear cut along the ruler, pressing firmly on the glass cutter;
- Tap along the notch;
- You can put a drill under the line of the notch and, gently pressing on the edges, break the tile. If you place the tiles along the cut groove on the edge of the countertop and gently press down, you will also get a good result;
- If the tile is cut well, it will break exactly along the mowing line.
You need to cut with a clerical knife using a similar technology. The only difference is that the cuts must be made several times on the same mowing line in order to deepen the furrow.
The best way to cut floor tiles is using the electric version of the diamond wire jigsaw. To do this, after laying, fix the tile on a flat surface of a chair or table. In this case, the area with the drawn line on the front side should be suspended. By running the tool along the mowing line, you can get an even cut line without chips.
- You can solve this problem at home with a drill using special nozzles. The attachments can be as follows:
- “Ballerina”, working like a compass;
- Tubular drill;
- Conventional drill.
Tiles are easy to cut with wet cutting attachments
It is better to drill the floor tiles with a universal drill with a victorious finish. In this case, before drilling, it is necessary to prepare the point of application of force, destroying the enamel. The drill must be periodically moistened with water.
Tile cutter tongs
This is a small budget option for cutting tiles. There is a cutting wheel on one side and a transverse plate on the other. With its help, it is quite easy to cut ceramics. This will require a straight edge ruler on one side.
Tile cutter is used for light cutting
- The desired distance is marked on one side of the tile on the front side.
- Along the mowing line marking from the far edge of the tile towards you, an incision is made once with medium pressure. The result is a visible streak.
- The transverse plate of the forceps must be placed on top of the front side so that the line of the fracture runs strictly in the center of the plate.
- At the last stage, with a smooth compression of the tongs, the tile breaks along an even mowing line.
- In the case of cutting thick tiles, it is also recommended to make a small groove on the inside with a depth of 2-3 mm.
In the process of laying tiles, they are faced with the need to cut through the tiles, make curly cutouts in order to bypass the bulges and pipes. Curly cutting is also possible with a glass cutter, however, in this case, you will additionally need special nippers and sandpaper.
Technology for cutting tiles for the floor in the apartment
In order to make it easier to cut the tiles, you need to properly prepare the material. Softening ceramic tiles at home is achieved by soaking in water for half an hour. This simple procedure removes dust, reduces brittleness and increases material flexibility. After that, it is not difficult to cut it even with an ordinary stationery knife and glass cutter.
Large quantities of ceramic tiles can be cut with an “angle grinder” using a diamond disc. When carrying out these works at home, special attention should be paid to safety issues. The person working with this tool must have the necessary skills and follow clear rules. For example, tiles are cut strictly towards you. In this case, the tile must be rigidly fixed. The airway must be protected from dust with a mask.
Before learning how to properly cut an angle grinder, prepare the tool appropriately.
In general, the use of an “angle grinder” at home has several disadvantages. First of all. the abundance of dust and noise. In addition, working with this tool is potentially hazardous and requires sufficient skill.
Depending on the availability of certain tools, you can choose the best repair option at home and, after training on illiquid material, get to work.
Tools for cutting porcelain stoneware
Before determining how and what to cut porcelain stoneware at home, it is worth understanding its features. It is a composite material that successfully combines the properties of natural stone and ceramics. It is made by pressing a mixture pre-fired at high temperatures. The result is a very strong and durable material. During the production process, it can be given a wide variety of colors and textures.
The surface of ceramics can be matte, glossy, structured, etc. Consider this when choosing a cutting method.
You can cut a fragment of a tile using various tools:
- Glass cutter;
- Electric tile cutter (aka wet cutter);
- Mechanical tile cutter;
- Angle Grinder;
- Waterjet cutting attachment.
The latter method is not used in a home workshop, since it is assumed that special expensive equipment is available.
Cut off the plate without chips
Porcelain stoneware belongs to the materials of increased strength. There are practically no pores in it, it does not absorb water and does not crumble. It is very difficult to even scratch it. Therefore, home craftsmen have the question of how to cut off porcelain stoneware without chips and is it possible at all. It must be admitted that theoretically this is possible, but in practice it turns out very rarely. often, small chips remain on the cut, which have to be sanded.
To keep them as small as possible, experienced craftsmen advise following these recommendations:
- Cut the part from the top side. Most material chips appear where the cutter exits the plate.
- The smaller the thickness of the selected cutting disc for the grinder, the lower the probability of chipping.
- Reduce torch speed at the start and end of the cut line.
- When working with a mechanical tile cutter, push the lever harder than when cutting a regular tile.
- Cut slightly to the right of the intended mowing line so that it remains on the cut piece. Then it will be possible to remove unwanted chips with a sander.
It is very important that the tool is of high quality and suitable for the material of choice. Otherwise, it is almost impossible to get a beautiful cut without chips. If, nevertheless, they do appear, which happens most often, the defects should be sanded down. You can use sandpaper or a diamond sponge.
The best option is a grinder with a special attachment. This is the so-called turtle or flexible diamond circle. They are distinguished by the diameter of the particles deposited on the surface of the diamond coating. The turtle can only work with a grinder, the model of which provides for the ability to adjust the number of revolutions. If it is higher than three thousand per minute, the nozzle may fly off the axis.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a tile cutter
The principle of the tool is somewhat similar to the glass cutter. There, too, there is a cutting roller that moves along the guides. In addition to it, there is a bed on which the part is laid, a lever and guides. It is very important that the diameter of the cutting element matches the height of the tile.
In addition, when choosing a device, pay attention to:
- The base of the device. The metal from which it is made must be thick enough so that the base does not vibrate or bend during cutting.
- Strength of guides and supports.
- Smooth movement of the carriage. It is desirable that this is ensured by special bearings.
- No backlash when moving the carriage. If it is available, it is impossible to make a straight cut.
Tile cutters vary in length and it is best to choose a long model. This will make it possible to cut porcelain stoneware of different sizes, not only along the side, but also diagonally.
To cut off a piece of porcelain tiles with your own hands along a straight mowing line, you need to follow these steps:
- Place the tile cutter on a solid, level base.
- On the product we outline the cut line.
- We lay the part on the bed so that the trajectory of the roller goes exactly along the basting.
- We make an incision by pressing on the carriage and moving it away from us.
- We release the handle and break the part with strong pressure.
- Grinding the cut to remove possible chips.
Working with a mechanical tile cutter is very simple, even a novice master can handle it. There are, however, some disadvantages to be aware of:
- A fragment already 6 mm wide cannot be cut in this way.
- It is also impossible to chamfer or make a curved cut with a mechanical tile cutter.
- If the cut falls on an edge for glue or the surface of the material is ribbed, there is a very high probability of chipping.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a glass cutter
This is the easiest tool to use. It also gives a minimal effect. With the help of a glass cutter, you can cut off porcelain stoneware, but provided that its thickness is small. This is how the wall cladding is most often cut. The glass cutter cannot cope with floor tiles.
There are two types of tools: with a hard metal roller and with a diamond cutter. The latter option cuts better, but fails faster. Its cost is higher than that of a roller analogue.
With a glass cutter, you can make a straight or curly cut. In the latter case, you will also need special nippers. To cut the tiles along a straight mowing line, proceed as follows:
- We lay the cladding on a flat base. Determine where the cut line will go.
- We take a ruler, lay it along the future cutting line of the cut and press it with our fingers.
- Gently, but with strong pressure, draw the line along the ruler with the tool. Trying to scratch a deep enough groove in one go. Otherwise, chips cannot be avoided.
- We put the part on the edge of the table or workbench and press firmly on its edge. So that the liner splits along the intended mowing line.
- Grind the edge if necessary.
If you want to make a curved cut, a line is drawn with a glass cutter. Then you need to take pliers and use them to remove sections of the tile. The closer the cut is to the mowing line, the smaller the pieces should be cut off. The edge with such processing will turn out to be sharp and not entirely even, so it must be sanded.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with an electric tile cutter
In the recommendations on how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home, you can read that it is convenient to do it with a wet cutter. This is the name of an electric type tile cutter, for which a diamond cutting disc is used. To cool it, water is supplied to the part during the cutting process (hence the name of the device).
There are two types of equipment: with upper and lower supply of tiles. The first ones make the cut as accurately as possible and are more expensive. For household chores, budget devices are more often purchased that feed parts from below.
Devices of any type make it possible to make cuts not only straight, but also curved. To cut a piece of porcelain stoneware tiles, do the following:
- We outline the cutting line.
- We fix the part on the bed using special clamps. If you have to make a curved incision, you will have to hold it with your hands.
- We start the device. First, we select the minimum disk speed, so the part does not deform.
- Increase the cutting speed gradually. Make sure that the element does not move from vibration.
The cuts made with such equipment are more accurate and better than with a mechanical device. It is especially appreciated by beginners because it is able to completely neutralize the so-called shaky hand factor. In addition, the device allows you to cut fragments less than 6 mm wide, does not generate dust or noise. The main disadvantage of the device is the high price of quality models.
How to cut a porcelain stoneware angle grinder without chips
Almost every home craftsman has an angle grinder, or an angle grinder. Therefore, it is she who is most often cut porcelain stoneware. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to make such a cut without chips, but it is quite possible to minimize their number. For this it is very important to choose the right disc. He must have:
- High quality diamond dusting;
- Marking confirming that the device is intended for cutting porcelain stoneware;
- The smallest possible thickness;
- Continuous cutting edge.
An angle grinder is a potentially dangerous tool, so safety rules should not be neglected. You should take care of the means of protection. The kit includes:
- Respirator, as a lot of dust is generated when cutting.
- Safety goggles to prevent possible exposure of disc debris to eyes.
- Special clothing.
- Earplugs or ear muffs to protect your hearing from loud noise.
It is not recommended to neglect protective equipment, even if you plan to cut several plates.
Cutting porcelain stoneware tiles correctly with an angle grinder is quite simple if you follow the instructions:
- Preparing a place to work. Lay a substrate on the leveled surface, which will protect the base. You can choose Penoplex, Styrofoam, etc.
- We put the part face up on the base, mark the section of the cut on it. So that there are fewer chips, we glue a strip of masking tape on it, draw a cutting line along it.
- We apply a metal corner over the tile along the cut path, fix it with clamps. This will allow you to make an accurate cut. This must be done when cutting products with a large thickness.
- We start the angle grinder. We cut the part at a time, direct it “away from ourselves.” To get an even edge, cut off the fragment so that the line of the marking remains on the product. It will be removed during the sanding process, and the tile will retain the specified size.
- We remove the masking tape, if necessary, grind the end of the part.
If the plate is thin or you do not need a perfectly straight cut, you can simplify your work. The angle grinder does not make a cut, but only a cut. Then the fragment is broken off with a sharp strong movement.
It is very convenient to use a grinder to cut porcelain stoneware tiles. First of all, because it is the most accessible of all devices that can be used. They can make cuts of various shapes, including any curved. However, the angle grinder is traumatic, you need to work very carefully. It is very dusty and noisy.
How and what to cut porcelain stoneware at home: 4 proven methods
There are many ways to cut porcelain stoneware tiles. All of them are quite effective. When choosing the best option for yourself, you need to take into account the presence or availability of special tools and your own experience when working with them. If you do not have the skills, you should think about an electric tile cutter, it is more expensive, but allows beginners to make even cuts.
This mechanism has proven itself perfectly when processing tiles. Similar results can be achieved in the case of porcelain stoneware, having previously familiarized yourself with the installation design. It consists of a base (platform) and several guides along which the carriage moves, and with it the cutting mechanism located below. There is a handle on top that allows you to cut the material mechanically. Thanks to a fairly accurate final cut without chips, this type of tile cutter is the main tool of many construction professionals.
Better than a manual tile cutter, only an electrical modification can cut off, we’ll talk about it later. Everyone can use the manual option, because by and large, you need to correctly perform 4 steps:
- Mark the future cut line on the tile.
- Place the material on the platform so that the mark aligns with the cutter wheel.
- Then, holding the plate with your hand, take the handle and, applying a slight effort, move the carriage from one side of the guides to the other, thus making a cut.
- To break, you need to apply force to the handle.
Experts do not recommend using a manual tile cutter for processing mosaic tiles and in cases where the material thickness exceeds 15 mm. However, even in the permissible range, you can make a mistake with the selection of the desired installation, because the dimensions of the tile cutter can be different. So, ceiling and wall tiles are cut with a tile cutter up to 40 cm long, floor tiles. with larger models.
It is not necessary to spend money on a special tool, a regular glass cutter will do. But in large-scale repairs it is unlikely to help, a small amount of material is another matter. Of course, the cutting roller must have a diamond element, otherwise the efficiency of the glass cutter will be questionable.
Answering the question of how to cut a tile with a glass cutter, we can safely say. just like glass! However, there are some nuances:
- Before starting the procedure, the plate is immersed in water for 30 minutes to soften the structure;
- Then you need to make a markup based on the dimensions of the working surface;
- Then it is laid on a smooth and flat surface and the cut is made along the marks with one strong movement;
- As a result, you need to put a wooden block under the formed fishing line and press on both sides of the material.
If you are going to use a glass cutter to cut a tile or porcelain stoneware tile, buy more material, you cannot do without cracks and chips!
How to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home
Before starting to decorate the walls, floor or ceiling with porcelain stoneware tiles, each owner should be well prepared, both theoretically and practically. A person who has come across how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home will confirm that the main pitfall of the process is cutting the material to certain sizes, especially in the case of a stronger floor. Of course, it is likely that in some cases the dimensions of the full row will correspond to the length of the wall, but even with such layouts, one should not forget about the corners, heating mains and other built-in elements. Here, you will definitely have to think about how to cut a tile with a tile cutter into a smaller surface area without splitting it at the same time.
In the arsenal of any owner, you can find a wide variety of tools that will allow you to process floor, ceiling and wall tiles, which means that success is guaranteed. But in order to achieve it, the availability of equipment alone is not enough, you need to know how to use a tile cutter or any other unit at home.
You can figuratively cut off porcelain stoneware tiles at home with just a few tools, a jigsaw is one of them. Using diamond wire as a cutting element, it can cope with a wide variety of sections, including complex cutting around. They can effectively process wall, ceiling and even dense floor tiles, but it is better to refuse to process the mosaic, otherwise you can damage your own limbs. To properly cut the figure in this way, you need to abundantly wet the material as it dries and promptly clean the surface of debris.
This type of tool is one of the most affordable options for adjusting tiles to the required dimensions. The angle grinder can be used to cut ceiling, wall, floor and even mosaic tiles, both tiled and porcelain stoneware. In addition, it is indispensable in a situation where it is necessary to make a figure cut.
The best cutting result is shown by thin diamond-coated discs, they are also dry cutters. If the beauty of the cut doesn’t matter, a regular disc will do. There is no point in explaining how to cut a tile with an angle grinder correctly, since there is no particular difference from metal or concrete processing in this process.
Choosing a tool in order to cut even the most common mosaic tiles, you will have to “break your head“. Judge for yourself, every second knows how to cut ceramic tiles, and only a few will answer the same question regarding more durable materials. In addition, it is unlikely that it will be possible to achieve success without certain skills, so it is better to practice well.
Absolutely all tools that can cut porcelain tiles are divided into two types:
- Mechanical. installations that allow you to perform a manual cut.
- Electric. automatic devices.
Electric tile or wet cutter
This device is capable of adjusting the size of the heavy-duty tiles. By its design, it is a conventional machine with an electric drive. In other words, if you need to exert effort to work with the manual option, in an electrically driven machine everything is automated.
An electric cutter at home is rarely used because of too high prices. It is not strange, because nothing better than this mechanism has yet been created. The installation is capable of processing huge volumes of material for finishing walls and floors for any size with excellent final quality (complete absence of chips, roughness and cracks), which allows it to be actively used for commercial purposes.
If the goals set do not imply enrichment, but only require the completion of the repair, then you need to follow a few simple steps yourself:
- Fill the tray with water.
- Install the tiles in the seat.
- Smoothly skip tiles under the disc.
With intensive use of the equipment, it is necessary to periodically change the water in the sump, as well as clean off plaque from the disc. These actions will help you get the most out of your wet cutter.
Waterjet cutting of porcelain stoneware
It is impossible to carry out the procedure for cutting the material in this way at home, since cutting ceramic tiles or the same porcelain stoneware is carried out using expensive professional special-purpose equipment. In other words, it is obvious that it is unprofitable to purchase such an installation for single purposes, therefore the purpose of a waterjet machine is exclusively commercial. That is, it is the main tool of businessmen specializing in the processing of building materials.
By contacting such an organization, for a certain amount of money, the consumer will receive porcelain stoneware tiles of any required dimensions with a perfectly even cut as soon as possible. No matter what type of material needs to be cut, the unit will work equally effectively on ceiling, wall and even floor tiles.
So, the cut is directly performed by water and abrasive particles, which, under high pressure in a mixed state, are fed to the surface of the tile through a thin (0.2. 0.4 mm) hole, thus cutting through the structure of the tile. With such a water-jet jet, you can process any building materials, the thickness of which does not exceed 200 mm.
Summing up all of the above, we can confidently say that giving the desired shape to porcelain stoneware is within the power of any responsible owner. Wall, floor, ceiling tiles and even small mosaics can be easily processed with the described tools!
How to cut floor tiles. Stone Cutting Machine
Before starting work, the tiles must be well fixed. Then the cutting line is applied, and then trimming is performed on a machine that has a disc consisting of high-strength steel with a special diamond abrasive. To obtain a better result, the lower part of the disc is dipped into a bath filled with water so that there is not too much dust (wet cutting of tiles).
How to cut tile. tools and methods
The history of the appearance of tile is rooted in the distant past and has many millennia. Suffice it to mention the fact that it was used to decorate the magnificent palaces of Ancient Rome and Greece. Since then, the craftsmen have mastered various methods of applying mosaics (the progenitor of tiles), creating amazing works on the walls of temples.
It is known that even then the masters knew how to correctly make and make a mosaic of a certain shape, but what tool they used to cut it is not known for certain.
Only one thing is absolutely clear, the method of making tiles has not undergone practically any changes over many centuries. It is still produced today from clay with the addition of sand, and further firing.
How to cut tile
How to cut tiles. tile cutting tool
Very often, such a situation occurs in the process of laying ceramic tiles, when there are pipes in the repaired room that are not so easy to get around. This is where the need arises to cut the tiles to the desired size. Let’s move more specifically to the question: how can you cut tiles? Let’s start with what tool you can use for this:
- Glass cutter;
- Stone cutting machine;
- Special nippers;
- Electric tile cutter;
- Electric drill;
- Angle grinder.
Cutting ceramic tiles. methods and technology
How to cut a tile with a tile cutter
With an electric tile cutter, you can cut very thin strips of tiles up to 5 mm. And the principle of the tile cutter is practically the same as a stone cutting machine. The tile is cut using a circular saw, which must also have diamond dusting, and a bath of water is placed under the saw. In the same way, you can cut relief tiles.
How to cut a tile with a tile cutter
The main types of ceramic tiles
Tile, a fairly durable material, consists mainly of natural components, and therefore is rightfully considered an environmentally friendly material. It also has several other good qualities, one of which is resistance to high temperatures, and, if it is a facade tile, then to weather changes.
Today the industry offers a fairly large selection of ceramic tiles.
Types of ceramic tiles:
- Bicottura, it is made using double firing and under the influence of the pressing process;
- Monocottura, the production technology of this tile is similar to the previous one, the only difference is that this type undergoes a single firing;
- Porcelain stoneware. This is one of the most famous types of tiles, it also goes through the stages of firing and pressing, but after that it undergoes additional mechanical processing.
How to cut tiles with a glass cutter
This is perhaps one of the easiest ways to cut tiles. But you need to remember one important rule. Before starting work, the tiles must be soaked in water for at least one hour. Then apply a fishing line on the surface of the tile, along which the cut will pass.
The tile should be on a flat surface so that the cut is as even as possible. The incision itself is made smoothly, without sudden movements, and also without strong pressure on the glass cutter. The tile is laid along the table along the cut line of the cut, the cut is made, and then a slight pressure is applied on the cut cut line, and the second part should break off. This method is great for working with wall tiles.
Tile Cutting Angle Grinder
For the manufacture of rounded surfaces on tiles, a grinding machine is used, which must be equipped with a special grinding wheel.
Tile Cutting Angle Grinder
over, tiles are a versatile material, convenient, easy to clean, practical, and most importantly, relatively inexpensive. And working with tiles is a pleasure.
How to cut tiles at home
When working with tiles, it is almost never possible to avoid cutting them. This is necessary when laying material in corners, pipe locations and other communications. There are a lot of methods and tools invented for cutting elements at home. In order for the work to go well, it is enough just to choose the right option from them.
Application of angle grinder
Using an angle grinder with a diamond wheel, a wide variety of shapes can be cut (see). The main “disadvantages” of the method are not very high accuracy and evenness of the cut with insufficient experience. In addition, the line of the cut can be chipped and too much dust can be created during operation, so such work is best done outdoors.
And if there is no tile cutter?
Using a glass cutter
One of the easiest ways to cut material without a tile cutter is to use a glass cutter. To do this, using a ruler, mark the mowing line of the cut, along which a not very deep furrow is made by the tool. Then, setting the element with the cutting line on the edge of the table, a slight pressure is used to break. It should be noted that this method is more suitable for not very rough material. Cutting, for example, tiles with this method will not work.
Types of tiles
Most often, glazed tiles are used for interior decoration, which, it should be noted, is one of the most demanding in terms of cutting. It consists of a base of baked clay, which is covered with glaze on top. You can cut it like glass, making the necessary marks on the front side, and this can be done using, for example, an angle grinder or tile cutter. In addition to the glazed material, porcelain stoneware elements with different textures are often used. It is best to use tools with a diamond blade for cutting them. It should be noted that cutting the material should only take place on a flat surface, otherwise it can be very easily spoiled.
We arm ourselves with a tile cutter
If it is necessary to make not very complex cuts, special tile cutter tongs can be a suitable option for use at home. They are not expensive and are useful for small jobs. To begin with, the necessary marking is made on the tile, after which it is carried out with a cutting wheel, which the tile cutter is equipped with. If a glass cutter uses a single circle diameter to cut material, a glass cutter of the same size uses a circle with a diameter of about 1.5 centimeters larger, which allows you to make a deeper cut. Thanks to this, the tiles can be broken much easier and smoother.
The tile cutter is intended for more serious work, although its principle of operation is similar to the work of tongs (see). However, it has its advantages. For example, work can be carried out with even more precision, with less effort, the clamps help to secure the material with high quality and do not allow it to move to the sides, and a special ruler allows you to cut the required length and width of the tile absolutely without distortions. But it should be noted that the tile cutter is not suitable for creating curly elements.
Using an electric machine
The presence of a canopy over the balcony, as a rule, is typical for apartments located on the top floor. The roof is a protection against snow, rain, hail.
Soviet furniture can still be found in many apartments. For some, it looks almost like new, while for others it already.
If necessary, you can use not only an angle grinder or a tile cutting machine, but also various mechanisms, tools. So, there are special gasoline / electric concrete saws. They cut according to the same principle as the disc of an angle grinder, but equipped with a special stacking table for secure fixation of the element.
How the saw works:
- Installation of tiles between supports, neat and secure fixation. First, you need to make sure that the size of the supports is equal to the dimensions of the tiles.
- Turning on the saw and waiting for speed.
- Gradual lowering of the blade onto the workpiece, at the moment of contact, you need to carefully, but press the handle with effort and the sawing process will begin.
- Turning off the saw after the cut is completed, waiting for the cutting blade to stop completely, returning the handle to its original position.
- In the process of work, you periodically need to look at the condition of the disc. if it is dull, the cutting productivity will greatly decrease and sparks will appear that can injure the master.
Things to consider when cutting
Cutting paving slabs, in essence, consists in processing a concrete product with a thickness of 2 to 8 centimeters in such a way as to end up with an element of the desired size and shape without damaging it and making neat edges. You can saw the tiles in different directions: across or along, diagonally or figured.
We must not forget that concrete has a fairly dense structure due to the peculiarities of making tiles by vibrocompression and the introduction of crushed granite into the material. Therefore, all work must be carried out with a special tool, accurately and correctly.
The main stages of tile cutting:
- Careful product marking
- Cutting by the selected method
- Accurate processing of the cut
The complexity of the cutting work and their volume depend on the pattern being created, the shape of the tile itself. Rectangular and square elements are simply cut across the markings. But when creating ornaments from tiles of complex shapes, different colors, you will need to apply certain efforts, because here you need to achieve the maximum clarity of the cut.
How and how to cut paving slabs at home: angle grinder, machine, guillotine
The question of what to cut the paving slabs is relevant for everyone who is engaged in the arrangement of the local area, creates garden or pedestrian paths, mounts coverings of various types from this material. It is almost impossible to lay the tiles without cutting. there will still be zones where you need to mount a section that is smaller in size or of a different shape, especially when it comes to curly tiles.
In many ways, the complexity of cutting is influenced by the shape of the tile: square and rectangular is easier to mark and cut than a wave, hex, Z profile, etc. In the process of laying paving stones, certain patterns are usually formed, ornaments that require careful adjustment of the elements in size. In addition, you need to be able to correctly process the edge of the tile cut, so that the coating is neat and aesthetic.
Different tools are used for cutting tiles, the choice depends on the master’s skills, the type of tiles, the conditions and characteristics of the work. But, first of all, you need to study all existing technologies.
Application of the guillotine
The guillotine knife is a special machine specifically for cutting paving slabs, which is a laying table equipped with handles, guides and, in fact, a knife. The main advantage of this cutting method is the absence of dust during work and the ability to process large volumes of material.
How to cut a tile with a guillotine knife:
- Placing tiles in the gap formed by the table and knives.
- Bringing the knife to work with the handle. the tool is lowered and, under the influence of its weight and high speed, breaks off a piece from the tile in the right place. During work, it is important that pressure is applied to the entire handle (not to the end), as otherwise the element can be damaged and injured due to unexpected tile splitting.
- It is important to monitor the sharpness of the knife. if it is dull, it will overheat, periodically get stuck in the cut, and undergo deformation. Sharpening is needed when visible traces of burns and ugly yellow spots remain on the cut tile, and the cut is very rough.
The cutting tool in the angle grinder is a diamond disc with a maximum diameter of 23 centimeters. The power of the tool must be 2 kW or more.
Paving Slab Cutting Process Angle Grinder:
- Strong fixation of the element.
- Cutting along the marked mowing line, occasional sprinkling with a small amount of sand is allowed to facilitate the process. It is desirable that the rotational speed of the disk is a maximum of 3500 revolutions per minute. During cutting they move away from themselves, making sure that the cutting depth along the edges is greater than in the middle of the element.
- When working with an angle grinder, it is forbidden: to hold the tile overhang without reliable fixation (it is best to fasten it on a hard, even and stable surface with a clamp), work without the use of personal protective equipment, cut with a tool with any damage, worn out parts, etc.
Before cutting the paving slabs with an angle grinder or a guillotine using any other method, it is imperative to ensure the protection of the master. Otherwise, it is difficult to guarantee the safety of work and the absence of the risk of injury.
Safety measures when cutting tiles:
- Protective equipment (especially if a method is chosen for cutting tiles, which involves the appearance of a large amount of dust, a high speed of rotation of parts, etc.). goggles, a respirator, special clothing made of very dense material will save you from dust and injuries.
- Special earphones to protect against too loud noise.
- The study of the rules for operating the selected tool is general simple: do not bring your fingers to rapidly rotating mechanisms, carefully work with power tools, carefully check devices and parts before starting work, do not use broken or malfunctioning devices. Each method assumes its own set of rules: for example, if an angle grinder is used to cut paving slabs, then the tool must be held with both hands by the side handle, use a protective screen against dust and sparks, ensure electrical safety, etc.
- In the process of work, follow the details and mechanisms. the guillotine knife, angle grinder wheels must be changed on time, used only if it fully meets quality standards.
Before cutting the tiles, you need to prepare very carefully. And we are talking not only about measuring and marking the concrete elements themselves, but also about the place of work. It is advisable to set aside a special place for safe cutting of tiles, which will be located at a sufficient distance from the rest of the material and the already installed coating, as well as machines, various objects, etc.
When dust gets on the wet surface of the elements, the dust spoils it much faster: for example, if the cut tile differs in color from the one already laid and dust from it falls from above, there is a risk of the need to completely change the coating.
To cut the tiles properly, you need to correctly measure. Usually, about 10-15% of the stock is added to the obtained figures (then you can cut off the edges and remove the excess). For tiles of the original shape, the margin is increased.
They cut the tiles strictly according to the intended mowing line, trying not to press hard on the material, as the tiles can fall out of hands or break into pieces. In a situation where the cutting process of the angle grinder is difficult, you can sprinkle the tiles with masonry sand in a small amount.
Before sawing the paving slabs, you need to carry out a number of preparatory work.
Before you start cutting the tiles:
- Find a comfortable, spacious and remote place from the warehouse or object.
- Carry out all measurements and calculations, mark the material using a protractor, ruler, pencil, etc. When installing ordinary tiles, all the markings are performed during preparation, when a drawing is created, the markings are made in fact, as the finished elements fit to each other on the canvas. When marking, you need to remember about a technological gap of 3-5 millimeters, which ensures easy installation of the tile in the place allotted to it, without the need to clog elements and cracks.
- The equipment for cutting, the availability of replacement parts, consumables are checked.
- Personal protective equipment is being prepared. clothes, gloves, glasses, respirator.
To cut off the desired part of the paving slabs, you need to stock up with a whole set of tools. Especially if a large area is being installed and concrete elements will have to be cut in considerable volumes.
What you need to cut tiles:
- Guillotine knife or special electric circular saw
- angle grinder with diamond / grinding disc
- A hammer
- Hacksaw for metal
- Metal ruler
- Regular (but better construction) pencil
Depending on the tasks and characteristics of the material, the set of tools may vary, but the main points look exactly like this.