How To Put The Starter On The Trimmer Correctly
Sometimes after the repair, the spring still flies. There are two solutions to fix this problem:
- To prevent the spring bend from jumping out of the groove, you need to insert a small fragment of a metal plate between the bend and the wall of the seat. This will provide a tighter fit for the spring.
- A self-made fastening also helps to keep the spring in the groove. It is necessary to drill holes in the coil on each side of the groove, place a spring bend in them and fix it with a piece of wire. These steps should be performed so that the wire does not touch the starter cover and does not slow down the movement of the pulley.
Diagnostics and elimination of breakdowns
To diagnose the starter mechanism for the purpose of its subsequent repair, the unit must be disassembled. This is not difficult to do; you only need a screwdriver. But during this operation, you need to be careful. with careless movements, the spring can fly out and cause injury to the user.
Collection and installation in place of the starter
To assemble the starter and install it in its original place, you must:
- Turn the pulley with the spring down and place it inside the body so that the spring bend hits exactly the groove in the body;
- Install the washer, then the spring, on top of it. the second washer;
- Place a cup with antennae on top of the washer and screw in the screw.
When assembling, be sure to put both washers, otherwise the plastic cup will be damaged by the spring after some time, and when pulling the cord, the user will notice that it is jammed. It will look like a spring has flown off. To eliminate such damage, you will need to install a larger screw or another washer. If it is not possible to find the required parts, it is enough to loosen the screw a little, after which the starter will cease to jam. However, you need to understand that these are temporary measures, and the malfunction should be repaired as soon as possible.
Sooner or later, problems with the starter arise on any trimmer. Stihl FS 55, MTD 790 or another brand. It is possible to delay the appearance of such a malfunction, but for this you need to handle the instrument with care. In particular, you should not make too sharp jerks, this will lead to a break in the cord or to a spring out. It is not recommended to subject the lawnmower to shocks or other physical influences. If the starter housing breaks and the cord breaks, it could wind up around the engine flywheel. This will result in a ripped pulley and a broken spring.
So, having discovered that the starter mechanism on the lawn mower has broken down, you should not rush to the specialists for help right away. Knowing how the malfunction is eliminated and / or the part is replaced, the repair work can be performed independently. This does not require any specific tool. At first, the procedure may seem complicated and tedious, but numerous on the Internet dedicated to starter repair will help to solve the problem as quickly and simply.
Trimmer starter. device and principle of operation
In order to repair the lawn mowers starter on your own, you need to understand the principle of its operation and know its structure. Today, manual and automatic starters are installed on trimmers, with the former being the most common.
The part is a plastic case that houses a pulley with a cord wound around it to start the engine. In order for the cord to twist independently after winding the tool, a ribbon spring made of alloy steel is located on the inner side of the pulley. A ratchet is installed on the front of the pulley, which engages the starter with the drive shaft of the tool motor.
The principle of operation of the recoil starter is the same on lawn mowers of Chinese, European and domestic production, be it Hitachi, Patriot or another manufacturer. To start the engine, the owner of the device jerks the cord sharply. From this movement, the pulley turns, and the protrusions located on it engage with the pawls located on the flywheel. Further, the flywheel and crankshaft begin to rotate with the pulley. After starting the engine, under the influence of centrifugal force, the projections and pawls diverge in different directions. And the starter cord, after the user releases it, is wound around the pulley using a return spring.
How to repair a trimmer starter
One of the key components of a lawn mower is the starter, which is designed to make starting the engine of the device easier. Like other parts, it breaks down periodically. In this case, there are two solutions to the problem: repair the trimmer starter or replace it completely. The second option is simpler, but more expensive. In addition, the required part must first be found on the market, since different lawn mower models use different starters. If you have free time and a screwdriver with a suitable tip, you can restore the functionality of this unit yourself if you know how it works, what malfunctions are typical for it, and how to fix them correctly. All this is in this material.
Coiling a spring is not an easy procedure. Not everyone succeeds in installing the part in place the first time, so you should not be upset if it fails. It is necessary to repeat attempts until the action is successful. If you wish, you can look at the Internet, where craftsmen tell in detail and show how to easily and quickly perform this operation.
To wind the spring, you need to place the bend in the groove, and then, while turning the coil, carefully lay the part along the inner diameter of the bobbin. In this case, the spring must be constantly held by hands. if it is not fixed, the part slips and jumps out, then the winding has to be done again. When done correctly, the spring is firmly seated in its seat.
Replacing the cord
To replace an element, you need to find a hole in the coil for it, through which you pass the cord, and then tie a knot. Next, you need to cock the coil with the spring by performing a few turns.
For example, if the cord is wrapped around the circumference six times, then to tighten the spring, you need to turn the coil counterclockwise six times. After that, it remains only to thread the rope through the hole and fix the handle on the cord.
Removing and disassembling a node
The order of disassembling the starter consists in performing a certain sequence of actions:
- First you need to find the screw connecting the starter cover to the pulley and unscrew it;
- Then you need to remove the spring, antennae and washers;
- Then you should carefully remove the pulley, keeping the structure away from your face so that the accidentally bouncing spring does not injure the user;
- Next, you need to inspect the spring: if it is damaged, then you need to put a new one (the cost of such a part is low), and if it jumped out of the hook, you need to return it to its original place, having previously made bends if they broke off.
After installing the spring, tighten it. To do this, perform the following actions:
- Remove the handle from the starter cord;
- Then the rope is inserted into the reel groove;
- The spring is tensioned by rotating the coil in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction (winding);
- Make the required number of revolutions specified in the operating instructions for the trimmer used and corresponding to the length of the cord used;
- At the very end, the rope is threaded through the hole provided for this, located in the starter cover;
- Put the handle in place, fixing it with a knot.
If, after repair, the spring continues to fly off, then you can get rid of it in the following ways:
- Squeeze a piece of the plate suitable for the size into the groove at the location of the spring hook;
- Drill holes on both sides of the groove in the coil, into which to insert the spring hook and fix it with a wire.
The main malfunctions of the trimmer starter
It is not difficult to determine the cause of the breakdown of the triggering device. There are several main options:
- Break of the cord (rope);
- When the spring breaks or disengages.
The above details are shown in the photo below.
It may happen that the starter mechanism is accidentally broken. The consequences will be disastrous if the torn rope is wound around the flywheel of a working internal combustion engine: then the spring will burst, the pulley will break. But such cases, when a complete replacement of the starter unit is required, are extremely rare. In most cases, it is enough to install a new spring or replace the cord to fix the mechanism.
Removal and disassembly of the starter, replacement of broken parts
To repair the trimmer starter, you will first need to disassemble it and then assemble it. This process is not particularly difficult. For work you need a screwdriver with a tip of the desired shape.
Disassembly of the starter unit
The launch mechanism is disassembled in order to install new parts instead of broken ones in the following sequence:
- Unscrew with a screwdriver the screw securing the pulley with the starter cover;
- Take out the spring and antennae;
- Carefully remove the pulley (you need to turn your head away or work, wearing glasses and gloves beforehand);
- Determine why the trigger has broken;
- If the spring has collapsed almost completely, then it is replaced;
- When the spring comes out of the hook, it is installed in its original place, bending the antennae in front of this (the photographs show the laying process);
- After the spring plate is installed inside the groove, carefully twist it.
To change the spring, you must work carefully and carefully: it can accidentally burst under the influence of the force caused by installing it in place. Even if you carefully remove the roller, the spring strip very quickly flies off the reel and can injure your hand with its sharp edges.
How to repair a trimmer starter
Petrol trimmer starter repair may be required at the most inopportune moment. In this case, the problem can be solved in two ways: replace the broken part or change the entire unit. The latter option is more expensive. To repair the device with your own hands, in most cases, you will only need a screwdriver with the appropriate tip from the tools. Repair work does not take much time and does not require special knowledge. It is enough to know the device, the principle of operation, the nuances of assembling and disassembling the starter on the trimmer in order to achieve the desired positive result.
The device and principle of operation of the starter on the trimmer
The gasoline engine is, in principle, the main part of lawn mowers.Its power is in the range of 0.5-2.5 hp. The movement from it is transmitted to the shaft, which is inside the hollow rod, and then through a gearbox consisting of gears, already a fishing line or knife (working body).
Also, lawn mowers have the following elements:
- Protective casing;
- Belt designed for the convenience of using the device;
- Starter used to start a gasoline internal combustion engine.
All parts of the lawn mowers are presented in the photo below.
The trimmer starter is an integral part that starts the engine. He is shown separately in the two photos below.
The starter mechanisms of different models of lawn mowers work on the same principle: when the engine starts, the protrusions marked with 1 in the photo above engage with the pawls 3. When the engine starts, they return to their previous position due to centrifugal force. A similar role is played by wires 2.
The process of returning to the initial position of the elements of the mechanism occurs due to the presence of a spring wound around the axis. It unfolds when the rope is pulled. After releasing the cord, it is pulled in and wound up due to the coiling of the spring. During the start of the internal combustion engine, lawn mowers, the starting mechanism turns its shaft until it starts to work (starts).
Today, gasoline lawn mowers are equipped with two types of starter mechanisms:
The first option is much more common.
The trimmer starter can function for a long time without breakage. It is impossible to clearly indicate the period of uptime. Everything is determined by the initial quality of the device and compliance with the rules for handling it.
The assembly of the starter unit is carried out in a number of stages:
- The coil is turned over, setting it so that the spring bend fits exactly into the groove of the body, as in the photo below;
- Two washers are laid, between which a spring is placed;
- Put in place the cup with the antennae;
- Tighten the screw (photos below).
When doing the described manipulations, it is imperative to put two washers. If this is not done, then the spring will damage the plastic cup over time, and wedging will begin when it is pulled. Because of this, there is a feeling as if the spring has flown off. To eliminate this drawback, you need to install this part of a greater length or an additional washer.
When such parts are not available, you can simply unscrew the screw a little, and the starter unit will start working without wedging. But this option is temporary. it is better to repair it with high quality as soon as possible.
Replacing a torn cord
The torn rope is replaced in the following sequence:
- The old cord is removed;
- Choose a rope that is suitable in size (thickness and length);
- Having passed it through a special hole in the coil, they tie a knot;
- Cocking the spring, producing the required number of revolutions;
- Fix the handle.
It is not difficult to assemble the starter on the trimmer and wind the spring, but you should do it carefully and with care. For different models of lawn mowers, the breakdowns of the triggering mechanisms are the same, so they are repaired in the same way. At the same time, there are some nuances associated with their design features.
How to put the knife on the trimmer
With the arrival of summer, many owners of personal plots are worried about the question of how to put the knife on the trimmer. No less relevant are the questions of why and when it is advisable to replace the line on a lawn mower with a more durable cutting element. In our article we will try to disassemble all this and give useful recommendations to summer residents.
What knives to put on an electric and lawn mower
Before buying and putting a knife on a lawn mower, find out what they are and in what cases they are used. Today manufacturers offer the consumer a large number of types of these consumables. In general, all cutting tools designed for mowing grass can be classified:
- By the type of material from which it is made;
- By the shape of its cutting blades.
The main material for making trimmer knives can be plastic or metal. The use of such consumables largely depends on two parameters:
- Lawn mowers type;
- Mowing areas.
For safety reasons, manufacturers do not recommend putting steel knives on electric trimmers. Almost all electric and battery powered lawn mowers are equipped with plastic blades. Depending on the manufacturer, they can be of a solid disc-shaped design, with several blades or in the form of a special mowing head providing for the installation of removable plastic blades.
Straight bar for petrol trimmer and curved for electric
To put a metal knife on an electric trimmer is not allowed by its design features.
- The curved bar of the machine reduces the distance from its working part to the mower’s feet. In the event of a collision of the blades with a stone or other solid object, the scythe is thrown to the feet.
- The high torque we mentioned above, in the event of a metal blade hitting a hard object, transfers a large load to the trimmer flex shaft and its motor. What causes them to fail prematurely.
- The handle of the electric scythe most often does not have a limiting bar acting as a stop. Which does not exclude injury to the legs.
It is these features that make it possible to use exclusively plastic knives on trimmers with electric motors. When colliding with an obstacle, the blades are destroyed, thereby protecting the mower’s legs from possible injury.
The use of metal knives only on gasoline trimmers is also due to design features.
- Straight bar design increases leg clearance for complete safety.
- Comfortable U-shaped and J-shaped handles provide a firm grip. D-shaped handles of lawn mowers are equipped with a limiter that rests against the mower’s leg, which does not allow the head to be brought up to the feet when the cutting disc meets a solid obstacle.
- The clutch of the gasoline engine allows for smooth acceleration to the optimum level. And when the blade hits a hard surface, it is able to absorb part of the impact.
Thus, petrol trimmers with a metal blade installed are best used in large areas. They will successfully cope not only with high coarse grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also shrubs, as well as young trees.
The shape of the blades of the disc supplied to the trimmer does not in any way affect the quality of the work performed. Speed does not depend on them either. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular shapes are all marketing ploy of manufacturers.
Why you need to put the knife on the trimmer
A trimmer with a knife mounted on it is most convenient to use for more comfortable mowing of tall and coarse grass in the country. The line on the lawn mower fails in such cases. Thin breaks very quickly. Using 2.3mm thick cord or homemade rods with cables causes the vegetation to wrap around the spool. This increases the load on the engine. As a result, the piston group and other moving parts of the unit wear out very quickly.
If the weeds are mowed with an electric trimmer without a knife, only a fishing line, even a thick one with a curly section, will not solve the problem. There is always a risk of overheating the motor and damaging the flexible shaft. And it’s all about the large torque of the electric motor. Grass wrapped around the spindle creates strong resistance to the shaft, which resembles a speedometer cable, which does not withstand and twists.
In order to protect equipment from premature wear, manufacturers have provided for the possibility of installing special knives on the trimmers. The design and shape of the existing cutting elements allows you to easily cope not only with coarse and overgrown grass, but also successfully deal with young shrub growth.
How to put a knife on the trimmer correctly
Putting the knife on the trimmer is not that difficult. The manufacturer completes its tools with a special pin that allows you to block the gearbox and a wrench with which the spool and fishing line are unscrewed. The most important thing is to observe safety precautions and the sequence of assembly and disassembly when changing cutting elements.
The algorithm for setting the knife to the trimmer is as follows:
- Remove the protective cover;
- We block the drive. To do this, it is necessary to align two holes. in the shaft hub and in the gearbox cup. After combining them, insert a pin into the holes;
- We unscrew the spool with line or the fastening nut holding the boot (if the trimmer has not been used yet) from the hub clockwise;
- Next, we install the cutting knife, so that the slots on the hub washer coincide with the recesses in the hole of the cutting disc;
- Install the boot;
- We tighten the fastening nut (counterclockwise) while holding the locking pin;
- We tighten it using a tubular wrench;
- Putting back the protective cover.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. Now you can safely start mowing weeds on the site.
Dismantling, disassembly of the trimmer starter, replacement of parts
First of all, the repair process begins with removing the entire starter from the trimmer. This process is inherently straightforward and will only require a few screws to be removed using a suitable plumbing tool. It should be noted that safety precautions must be observed when dismantling the lawn mowers starting mechanism, since the ribbon spring in the compressed state has enough energy to injure a person.
The device and principle of operation of the starter lawn mowers
Lawn Mowers Starter with Parts
As with any garden or construction gasoline tool, the trimmer starter consists of a plastic housing in which a pulley with a pre-wound cord (shmorgalka) is installed. For the purpose of automatic twisting of the rope after a jerk by the starter, a ribbon spring made of alloy steel is fixed on the back of the pulley. A ratchet is mounted on the front of the pulley, by means of which the starter engages with the drive shaft of the trimmer motor. Depending on the manufacturer and design of the lawn mower, the ratchet pulley can be either one piece or assembled from two separate parts.
The principle of operation of the trimmer starter practically does not differ, regardless of the unit model.
The main components of the trimmer starter
When jerking with the starter, the protrusions on the pulley come into engagement with the pawls, which, when the internal combustion engine is successfully started, diverge in different directions under the influence of centrifugal forces. There are also models where the ratchet is spring-loaded from the side of the housing and when the pulley rotates backwards, the teeth of the engagement are removed from the motor shaft. Of course, with frequent and prolonged use of the trimmer, no one is safe from a break in the drive cord or wear of the tape spring. Therefore, in this case, repair of the trimmer starter will be required, which can be done by hand.
The main damage to the starter lawn mowers
Currently, there are two main faults in the petrol trimmer starter:
- Breakage of the drive cord (shmorgalki);
- Breakage of the tape spring or its disengagement with the pulley.
Trimmer band spring
In practice, there are cases when, for some reason, damage to the starter housing occurs and the broken cord is wound around the engine shaft, which will certainly lead to spring breakage and cracks on the housing. In this situation, local repair of the lawn mower starter will be impossible and a complete replacement of the engine starting unit will be required. In other cases, troubleshooting will be limited to replacing the spring or cord.
Trimmer Starter Assembly Sequence
Although the process of assembling the lawn mowers launch unit is carried out in the reverse order of disassembly, there are several nuances that should be paid special attention to:
- The coil with the spring installed must be turned over and mounted in the groove of the starter body so that all the protrusions become in their original place.
Installing the trimmer coil in the starter housing
Installing the compression spring
White cup with mustache trimmer coil
When assembling the starter, pay attention to the compression spring, which must be bounded on both sides by steel springs. If this is not done, then after the first season, it will wipe the grooves in the pulley housing.
Parsing the starter lawn mowers
This stage allows the wizard to establish the reasons for the failure of the launch unit, as well as to troubleshoot individual parts. Disassembly work should be performed in the following sequence:
- Unscrew the screws securing the pulley to the starter housing;
Removing the trimmer starter
Remove the pulley from the starter
Removing the pulley from the lawn mower body
Spring removed from the starter coil
Many experts note that it is quite difficult to install the spring from the first time, therefore, when repairing a trimmer starter, the owner will need not only basic locksmith skills, but also patience.
DIY trimmer starter repair
The starter is one of the main components of the lawn mower, which greatly facilitates starting the engine of the tool. Its breakdown can happen at the most inopportune time, which will certainly entail significant changes in the daily plans of the site owner. There are two ways to solve the problem: repair the trimmer starter with your own hands, or replace the entire assembly. The easiest way to troubleshoot a starting system is to completely replace it, but from a financial point of view, buying a new starter can seem far too heavy. For self-repair of breakdowns, it is enough to prepare a screwdriver with the appropriate tip and familiarize yourself with the following recommendations.
Band Spring Tension Recommendations
Trimmer Starter Spring Tension
After installing the starter, it is necessary to dismantle the rope handle and insert it into the reel groove. Further, against the direction of movement of the pulley when starting, it is necessary to make a certain number of revolutions specified in the instruction manual for the gasoline trimmer. It is worth noting that the tension and further performance of the unit will depend on how to put the spring on the trimmer and what tension is made. At the final stage, we thread a rope into a special hole and fix it with a handle.
Replacing the trimmer starter rope
Installing the starter rope in the trimmer
At the very beginning, you need to remove the broken cord, choose a suitable length depending on the trimmer model. We pass through a special hole in the pulley and tie a knot at the other end in order to prevent the rope from jumping out of the trimmer start mechanism. Next, we erect the ribbon spring to the required number of revolutions and mount the handle.
Chainsaw starter device
As standard, the chainsaw starter consists of a number of parts.
- The frame to which the return spring is attached;
- A pen.
A protective cover is installed over all elements of the starter. The original principle of operation of most triggers is also almost the same. In a special groove in the chainsaw body there is a handle that holds the cable. When the handle is raised sharply, the latter is understood. At this moment, a ratchet is triggered, which through the drum transfers the force to another drum with splines located on the engine shaft.
When pulling out the standard cable, the chainsaw motor shaft begins to rotate, which leads to compression of the existing fuel mixture located at this time between the cylinder head and the standard piston.
With an increase in the volume of the internal combustion engine cylinder, the amount of consumed fuel mixture, which is required for its future ignition, also increases. Consequently, the operator of a powerful saw needs more jerking strokes than the owner of a low power tool. Power saw manufacturers use resilient return springs to increase the speed at which the drum returns to its original position.
How to put a spring on a chainsaw starter?
Fitting the spring into the correct groove is a tricky task. First of all, the part will need to be twisted, returning it to its previous dimensions. After that, it must be inserted into the cavity of the standard drum hub. To fill the spring in the chainsaw starter, you need to proceed in this order:
- The outer end of the spring used must be fixed in a special stop lug. In this case, the second end with a screwdriver will need to be installed opposite the standard hole inside the lock;
- Next, the loop located at the inner end of the standard spring should be aligned with the hole. It is best to use a screwdriver for this. When the ends are aligned, the disc will need to be lowered;
- After mounting the disc, you need to check that the dog of the factory ratchet mechanism of the chainsaw is in its proper place. Then you can assemble the ratchet in reverse order.
To wind the spring on the chainsaw starter, you need to take into account all the holes and notches available. After installation, you will need to tighten the spring. As soon as the slack is eliminated, the spring will remain to be wound a few turns. this is necessary to maintain the required tension of the installed part.
The starter is one of the most important mechanisms in any modern chainsaw. It is on him that the engine start of the tool depends on all weather conditions. The chainsaw starter stands out for its simple design, it is easy to maintain and repair it yourself. However, in order to fix the breakdown, you must first find its cause. To do this, most often it is required to completely disassemble the standard mechanism.
How to assemble a starter on a chainsaw?
After replacing the faulty elements of the starter, it is the turn of its reassembly. In this case, maximum accuracy must be observed, since the slightest discrepancy can lead to damage to the trigger. The assembly of the assembly should be performed in the following sequence:
- The standard cable will need to be tucked into the factory hole of the reel. At the same time, the cord does not need to be wound;
- Next, you need to insert the coil into its base place. At this stage, many beginners make a common mistake. There are 2 slots on the surface of the coil. One of them should get the regular hook of the coil spring. To do this, the coil will need to be installed in such a way that it fits snugly into its original place, and the existing hook fits exactly into the slot. The correctness of installation must be checked by turning the coil in the direction of the clock hand until resistance appears;
- Then you need to install a device for easy starting of the chainsaw. In this case, the protrusion of the latter should be located in the recess of the installed coil;
- After that, you need a screw and washer to fix the device;
- Next, the other end of the cord must be tucked into a special outlet;
- In the next step, you will need to thread the cable into the starting handle. To this end, you will need to tie a medium-sized knot at the end of the cord. If it is too small, then the cable will slip, which is why it will quickly wind up on the drum of the trigger mechanism;
- Then you need to release the loop inside the starter. Immediately after this, you should start the rotation of the trigger in the direction of the clock hand. In this case, the cord does not need to be wound. Next, you need to fix the coil with your hand, and pull the loop out by the handle;
- After that, you need to check the operation of the trigger;
- If the unit is working properly, it remains to install it on the tool, and attach with three screws.
Starter repair is not a complicated procedure if you follow the correct procedure. As a rule, changing the starter cord will take no more than 20 minutes. The main thing is to correctly position the pulley and drum in relation to each other. Otherwise, the trigger will not work.