How To Put The Starter On The Trimmer
Repairing the petrol trimmer starter may be necessary at the most inopportune moment. In this case, there are two ways to solve the problem: replace the broken part or change the entire assembly. The latter option will cost more. To repair the device with your own hands, in most cases you will need from the tools only a screwdriver with the appropriate tip. Repair work does not take much time and does not require special knowledge. It is enough to know the device, the principle of operation, the nuances of the assembly-disassembly of the starter on the trimmer to achieve the desired positive result.
The device and principle of operation of the starter on the trimmer
Gas engine. This, in principle, is the main part of lawn mowers. Its power lies in the range of 0.5-2.5 hp. The movement from it is transmitted to the shaft located inside the hollow rod, and then through the gearbox, consisting of gears, already a fishing line or knife (working body).
Also, the lawn mowers have the following elements:
- Protective cover;
- A belt designed for ease of use of the device;
- A starter used to start a gasoline internal combustion engine.
All details of the lawn mowers are presented in the photo below.
The starter on the trimmer is an integral part that starts the engine into operation. It is depicted separately in the two photos below.
Starter mechanisms of various lawn mowing models work on the same principle: during the start of the internal combustion engine, the protrusions marked with the number 1 in the photo above enter the hook with the dogs 3. When the engine starts to work, they return to their previous position due to the action of centrifugal force. A similar role is also played by wires 2.
The process of returning to the initial position of the mechanism elements occurs due to the presence of a spring wound around an axis. It unfolds when the rope is pulled. After releasing the cord, it is retracted and wound due to the folding of the spring. During the start of the ICE lawn mowers, the trigger mechanism rotates its shaft until it starts to work (starts).
Today gasoline lawn mowers equip starter mechanisms of two types:
The first option is much more common.
The starter on the trimmer can function without breakdowns for a long time. Unambiguously indicate the period of uptime is impossible. Everything is determined by the initial quality of the device and compliance with the rules for handling it.
The main malfunctions of the trimmer starter
It is not difficult to determine the cause of the breakdown of the starting device. There are several main options:
- Breakage of a cord (rope);
- When the spring breaks or disengages.
The indicated details are shown in the photo below.
It may happen that the starter mechanism is accidentally broken. The consequences will be deplorable if a tattered rope is wound around the flywheel of an operating ICE: then the spring will burst, the pulley will rip off. But such cases when a complete replacement of the starter assembly is required are extremely rare. In most cases, to fix the mechanism, it is enough to put a new spring or replace the cord.
Removing and disassembling the starter, replacing broken parts
To repair the trimmer starter, you will need to disassemble it first, and then assemble it. This process is not particularly difficult. You will need to work shape screwdriver.
Starter assembly analysis
Disassemble the start-up mechanism in order to install new parts instead of broken ones in the following sequence:
- Unscrew the screw fixing the pulley with a starter cover with a screwdriver;
- Take out the spring and antennae;
- Carefully remove the pulley (you need to turn your head away or work, having previously worn glasses and gloves);
- Determine why the trigger mechanism has broken;
- If the spring has collapsed almost completely, then it is replaced;
- When the spring exits the hook, it is installed in its original place by bending the antennae before it (the photos show the installation process);
- After the spring plate is installed inside the groove, carefully twist it.
To change the spring, work should be carefully and accurately: it can accidentally burst under the influence of the force caused by putting it in place. Even if you carefully remove the roller, the spring band flies off the reel very quickly and can injure your hand with its sharp edges.
The assembly of the starter assembly is carried out in a number of stages:
- The coil is turned over, installing it so that the spring bend exactly fits into the groove of the case, as in the photo below;
- Stack two washers, between which a spring is placed;
- Put in place a cup with a mustache;
- Tighten the screw (photos below).
When doing the above manipulations, it is necessary put two washers. If this is not done, then the spring will eventually damage the plastic cup, and when it is pulled, wedging will begin. Because of this, a feeling appears, as if the spring has flown. To eliminate this drawback, you need to install this part of greater length or an additional washer.
When such parts are missing, you can just a little bit unscrew the screw, and the starter assembly will start to work without wedging. But this option is temporary. It is better to repair it qualitatively as quickly as possible.
After installing the spring, tighten it. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Remove the handle from the starter cord;
- Then the rope is inserted into the reel groove;
- Spring is tightened by rotating the coil in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction (winding);
- Make the required number of revolutions indicated in the operating instructions for the used trimmer model and corresponding to the length of the cord used;
- At the very end, the rope is threaded into the hole provided for this, located in the starter cover;
- Put the handle in place, fixing it with a knot.
If after repair the spring continues to fly, you can get rid of this in the following ways:
- Cram a suitable piece of plate into the groove at the location of the spring hook;
- Drill holes on both sides of the groove in the coil, into which to insert the spring hook and fix it with a wire.
Replacing a torn cord
A torn rope is replaced in the following sequence:
- The old cord is removed;
- Choose a rope of suitable size (thickness and length);
- Threading it through a special hole located in the coil, tie a knot;
- Cock the spring, producing the required number of revolutions;
- Fasten the handle.
It is not difficult to assemble the starter on the trimmer and wind the spring, only this should be done carefully and with caution. For different models of lawn mowing, the failures of the starting mechanisms are the same, therefore they are repaired in a similar way. There are some nuances associated with their design features.
- How is the starter or trimmer starter arranged?
- Worst case breakdown
- How to replace or replace the starter spring?
- How tight is the spring charging?
- Lawn mowing starter assembly
- How to assemble a new lawn mower starter?
- How to change the starter cord?
Manual starter for lawn mowing or gas trimmer. A mechanical unit that includes a pulley mounted on a ratchet. A rope is wound on the pulley in the initial position. At start, it is pulled out. The pulley is spring-loaded. If you let go of the end of the rope, it will wind back. A flat ribbon rolled into a ring is used as a spring. It resembles a spring in a large mechanical watch that starts once a day. The starter itself is located more often on the back than closer to the front end of the mower or trimmer. In order to correctly perform all manipulations with the starter for lawn mowing, you need to know the features of the device and installation.
How is the starter or trimmer starter arranged?
Starter. The mechanism as a whole is single and universal for lawn mowers, trimmers, gasoline and diesel generator sets. It’s not a problem to equip them even with a car, motorcycle or scooter if your vehicle has free space for installation. Not for nothing that many Soviet cars and trucks were equipped with starter tools, which vaguely resemble a double-bent mount.
The starter assembly has the following parts:
- Hook spring;
- Cord wound around a reel;
- Return spring;
- Drive ratchet and main spring;
- Ratchet mechanism housing;
- Locking bolt.
Worst case breakdown
There are times when the starter is still operational, but, for example, a worn cord may break. The ratchet has not yet had time to work when the engine starts, and the remainder of the cord is immediately wound on a reel, the return spring loses its hooks, the grooves in the starter housing break. The result is the replacement of both the springs and the housing.
How to replace or replace the starter spring?
If everything was okay with the rope on the starter, suspicion falls on the coil itself. It is driven by a tape spring rolled up into a roll. To change the spring, certain steps should be taken.
- Remove the starter from the lawn mowers.
- Remove the starter coil.
- Unscrew the main bolt holding the pulley on the housing.
- Pull out the gripping antennae and spring, the band spring is almost completely straightened or folded with larger diameter rings.
- Hold it in advance.
- Check if the spring is intact (there may be rusty stains, breaks, etc.). If the hooks at its ends are broken, it will not be possible to bend new ones. High-carbon steel breaks when trying to bend it. Weakened hooks are suitable for easy bending.
- Make sure that the auxiliary spring with washers is in place. These parts protect the coil frame from being pierced by the ends of the main spring. If the washers and the spring break, but there are no new ones, do not tighten the coil bolt tightly, but watch for it. It may loosen and get lost.
- If the main (flat) spring is damaged, insert the same new one. Put the hooking hook at the end of the spring in its place and bend it, inserting coil by coil into the space where it should be.
Spring rewinding takes one minute. Dexterity in this action is fast.
To replace or replace the starter spring, see the next.
How tight is the spring charging?
It is possible to give the spring the necessary potential force necessary for a clear and quick winding of the cord by determining the length of the cord in turns. To prevent the handle of the cord from hanging down, add another 1-2 to the number of turns. So, if the cord has a length of 5 turns of the coil, then when charging the spring, scroll the coil 6-7 full turns.
Lawn mowing starter assembly
When servicing and repairing the starter, it is important to assemble it correctly. As if the device was being assembled by the manufacturer. Any of the parts that are incorrectly installed will not allow you to fully use the trimmer or lawn mowing.
- Having screwed up the spring, turn the coil over and set it so that the second hook of the spring gets back into place. To control the correct installation of the spring on the coil itself, there are technological windows.
- Put the starter pulley and make sure that one of the spring hooks fits into the groove located on the starter cover.
- Insert the spring and washers on the sides so that the spring does not erase the plastic compartment in which it is located. If the spring is broken, but the other one is not, an additional washer is placed in its place.
- Insert the cup with the antennae into the recesses of the coil.
- Put the coil in its place, tighten the bolt all the way, but without fanaticism.
If you don’t protect the compartment where it moves when the starter cord is unwound and unwound with washers, the coil often seizes when you try to start a gas trimmer or lawn mower. Loosening the coil bolt will cause it to lose.
For information on how to assemble the trimmer starter trimmer, see the.
How to assemble a new lawn mower starter?
To build a starter do the following manipulations.
- Pass one end of the cord through the hole at the beginning of the coil and tie it in a knot. The assembly must not pass through the hole. Otherwise, you will disassemble the starter again.
- Wind the cord around the reel itself.
- Install the spring in the starter housing, hook one end of it in the groove and wind it. For easy winding, rotate the housing counterclockwise.
- Place the ratchet mechanism on the spring.
- Hook the return spring hook onto the ratchet itself, fasten it to the coil.
- Install the main spring and housing with the assembled ratchet, connect the starter parts together and tighten everything with the main bolt.
After completing the starter assembly, run the free end of the cord through the hole in the housing for the coil. Re-run the same end through the hole in the handle by which the cord is pulled. Tie a strong knot on the handle. Check the operation of the handbrake starter.
How to change the starter cord?
It happens that the inability to start the starter is not to blame for the spring, but for the cord itself. It can jam or even break. Dismantling the lawn mowing starter or trimmer is universal in its steps.
- Remove the starter unit from the trimmer or lawn mowers.
- Remove the main bolt holding the handbrake.
- Pull out the reel and reel the rest of the worn cord from it.
- Untie the knot on the cord handle and pull its end out of it.
- Untie the knot at the other end (at the beginning of the coil) and remove the old cord. Knots that have become tight are untied using pliers or pincers.
- Tie a knot at one end of the new cord, thread it through the hole at the beginning of the coil (closer to its axis).
- Screw several turns of a new cord onto the reel. If it is long, then cut the excess.
- Thread and charge the spring tensioner of the cord (if removed) and the spring-loaded elements in the correct sequence.
- Put the coil in place and thread the free end of the cord into the starter outlet and into the handle.
- Replace the starter unit.
Twist the starter by the cord, start the engine of the lawn mowers or trimmers. The larger and more powerful the engine, the more jerks of the cord will be required at startup, the norm. No more than 7 times. The result is a quick and smooth engine start, the unit is ready for operation.