How To Start A Stihl 180 Chainsaw
Chainsaw does not start well. looking for reasons
If your saw won’t cold start, the first thing to do is to inspect the tool pistons. The piston group of the Stihl MS 180 saw is highly reliable, however, due to a lack of engine oil or mechanical shock, an immediate piston replacement may be required. Before changing the piston, we advise you to study the specified algorithm:
- Remove the saw top cover and unscrew the candle;
- Remove the stoppers from the shock absorbers, the drive sprocket and the starter;
- Next, the flywheel, worm drive and victorious chain are removed;
- Then remove the ignition coil and muffler;
- At the end, the piston group of the chainsaw is dismantled.
Stihl MC 180 chainsaw device. model components
The design of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is quite difficult to call simple. this is due to the peculiarities of the operation of this model. The Stihl 180 chainsaw device consists of the following components:
The manufacturer took into account the possibility of regular operation of the chainsaw at low temperatures, which resulted in the presence of a proprietary system for a smoother and faster engine start.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw correctly?
The correct procedure for starting the chainsaw is as follows:
- Before starting the saw, the chain brake must be activated. To do this, the brake lever must be tilted forward;
- Next, you need to remove the protective cover;
- Next, you need to press the decompression valve. this will greatly facilitate starting the engine;
- Then press the fuel pump several times. This will reduce fuel consumption directly when starting the saw engine;
- Then move the combination throttle lever down to the cold start position. To do this, you first need to activate the throttle lever;
- Pull the cable slowly until you feel resistance. After that, quickly pull the cable towards you until you hear that the engine starts and stalls;
- Then move the combination lever up one position;
- Pull the cable again until the engine starts;
- As soon as the engine starts, pull the gas trigger, and after moving the combined lever to the up position until it stops, release it;
- Release the chain brake lever by pulling it towards you until it clicks;
How to break in a new Stihl 180 chainsaw?
Starting using the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, most tool owners do not know how to properly run in a purchased saw. To do this, you must act in this order:
- Check for the presence of oil for the chain. for this you need to put the saw on an old newspaper and start the tool. If there is oil, traces of it will appear on the paper;
- Then turn off the inertial brake;
- After that, start the chainsaw and let it idle for 20 minutes. In this case, every minute you need to do short pressing on the gas trigger;
- After 20 minutes, start sawing thin branches, gradually increasing the density and diameter of the wood.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180. a tool worthy of attention
Of course, each of us strives to purchase a high-quality chainsaw, which would be distinguished by reliability, high working life, economy and good technical characteristics. All these criteria are fully met by the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw. Let’s talk about its advantages, common breakdowns and self-repair in more detail.
Chainsaw won’t start. reasons and repairs
If you notice that your saw has stopped starting, this may indicate that engine oil is flooding the tool spark plug. To inspect the candle, you need to pull out the rubber cap on the body and unscrew the part with a candle wrench. If you see large spots of oil on the candle, it means that the cause of the breakdown lies precisely in this.
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180. specifications
In terms of performance, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is in many ways superior to its counterparts in its price category. This tool, as well as its modification, the Stihl 180 C chainsaw, has the following technical characteristics:
- Power. 2 HP FROM.;
- The working volume of the cylinder is 31.8 cm3;
- Fuel consumption. 0.7 l / h;
- Fuel tank capacity. 250 ml;
- Tank volume for oil supply. 145 ml;
- Idling speed. 2800 rpm;
- Launch. manual;
- Chain lubrication. automatic;
- The length of the tires used is 30–35 cm;
- Chain pitch. 3 / 8”v
- Working weight. 4.2 kg.
The Stihl MC 180 chainsaw does not require special maintenance. The only thing that the owner will need is to use high-quality fuel and top up oil on time. The diameter of the file for sharpening the chain of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw should be 4.5–5 mm.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180 stalls at idle speed
The most common reason for this is incorrect adjustment of the saw carburetor. If the saw does not idle, the tool assembly will need to be re-adjusted. To do this, take the adjusting key from the saw kit and insert it into the screw “” on the tool handle. While doing this, slowly turn the screw clockwise until the saw starts working normally.
No oil is supplied to the chainsaw chain
If you notice this malfunction, then the first thing to do is adjust the oil supply. The oil supply to the chain is adjusted as follows:
- Find the adjustment screw on the bottom of the chainsaw next to the sprocket;
- To increase the oil supply, the screw must be turned towards “”;
How to distinguish from a fake
Stihl 660 chainsaw price china price is far from an indicator of whether the device is original, or in front of you a fake.
Here are the main criteria that you must know:
- Original STIHL products are distinguished by a personal guarantee and an individual serial number;
- The number directly under the muffler must match the main marking of the saw;
- The muffler must also bear a serial number and indicate the country of origin;
- Original Stihl products are equipped with Stihl tires, as well as special equipment necessary for full operation.
Device and circuit
The scheme of the Stihl 180 chainsaw (like the stihl ms 660 chainsaw) is quite complicated, and this is due to the peculiarities of the operation of this unit. In order to familiarize yourself with the specifics of its work, you must study the instruction manual for the stihl ms 180 chainsaw.
Here there is a selection of the schematic device of the chainsaw, all the nuances regarding the constituent parts and the implementation of the first and subsequent start are indicated. To keep the device in decent condition and be confident in its performance, you need to know the basics of its structure and the principle of operation. Also, for more efficient work, it is necessary to adjust the carburetor of the chainsaw.
The serial equipment of the products consists of:
- Guide rail type Ematic;
- Saw chain Oilomatic;
- An adjustable oil pump that ensures even distribution of oil throughout the entire chain and ensures excellent system performance;
- Carburetor with special STIHL compensator for optimum engine power;
- Air filter;
- Start lever (cold and hot);
- Control lever;
- Handle with extra anti-vibration system.
Pros and cons of the Stihl chainsaw
Among the advantages of the Stihl chainsaw are:
- A special anti-vibration system of the AC class;
- Chain brake of inertial type QuickStop required for the safety of the device;
- The air filter is freely available;
- The regulating compensator guarantees stable and powerful operation of the system;
- Single-lever type of chainsaw control;
- Use of Ematic type grease, which saves on fuel consumption;
- The optimal cost of a chainsaw.
As for the last point, the question of how much a Stihl 180 chainsaw costs can be brought into both the advantages and disadvantages of products. The fact is that the price is not high for different categories of the population. Also, for the purposes of use, this option may not seem entirely cheap.
Despite the ease of use, the relatively low fuel consumption and ease of maintenance, the saw is still not widely available to everyone .
Product manufacturer STIHL
The history of the STIHL brand dates back to 1926, when Andreas Stihl founded A. Stihl Ingenieursbüro “. Initially, the company specialized in the creation of working boilers and the first “washing machines”, and later the first model of a chainsaw was created with the money earned. This unit, despite its huge weight (48 kg), quickly conquered the market and began to be very successfully sold to the countries of near and far abroad.
The 90s became the beginning of a family business for the company. Almost all members of the Stihl family began to take part in the company’s life.
In 1995, Holding AG was establishedCo, with its main base in Waiblingen and Diesburg.
Since 2002, a complete stranger has become the chairman of the board of directors of STIHL AG. At that time, boss Hans Peter Stihl headed the supervisory board of the company and took over the chairmanship of the commission of STIHL Holding AGCo.
After another 2 years, the company’s modern development center was opened, and already in 2006 a new assembly plant was launched in China.
Today the company is successfully developing, introducing new ideas and even more practical approaches. STIHL inventions top chainsaw reliability rating.
Operational and technical characteristics
As for the technical and operational characteristics of this chainsaw, they largely surpass all modern market counterparts. For information on how to properly run a chainsaw, see here.
The device of the Stihl 180 chainsaw is made in such a way as to achieve maximum indicative results, while at the same time not causing any discomfort during work. The device is completely vibration-free and does not tire the operator’s hands.
The handle that encircles this tool tightly “sits” on 3 shock-absorbing blocks made of rubber, which is also very convenient for using a chainsaw.
The Stihl ms 180 chainsaw has the following specific characteristics:
- The maximum working volume is 31.8 cm³;
- Nominal weight is only 3900gr.;
- The power level is 1.5 kW / 2.0 HP;
- The bus is 0.35 m long;
- Characteristic chain of the Oilomatic type with a pitch of 3/8 “P (PMС3);
- Tank with a volume of 250 cm³;
- Idling speed is 2800 rpm;
- Specific weight. 2600 g / kW;
- The permissible vibration level is 6.6 to the left and 7.8 m / s2 to the right;
- The sound pressure is 97.0 dB;
- Sound power. 106.0 dB.
Easy to operate, does not require additional maintenance, in addition to timely lubrication (if you do not follow the lubrication in time, it is quite possible to “kill” both the tire and the chain itself).
It should be noted that the two-stroke engine of this unit is designed in such a way that it runs on a gasoline-oil mixture. Only use high-quality oil in STIHL chainsaw gasoline. You can read about which Stihl chainsaw oil to use here.
The quality of these operational elements will largely determine the effect on the functioning and the life of the entire system.
Chainsaw Stihl 180 instructions provide for strict adherence to all the rules for its operation. This is important for warranty repairs as well as extending the service life of the chainsaw. It is very important to use good chain oil.
Step-by-step instruction and operation manual
Then just follow the step-by-step guide for the Stihl 180 chainsaw:
- Before starting, press the chain brake forward, thereby activating it;
- Get rid of the tire’s protective coating;
- Press the decompression valve for quick start and the fuel pump;
- Take care to set the combination lever in the “cold start” direction;
- Place the chainsaw on a flat surface, step on the handle to improve its stability;
- Pull the starter rope slowly, and then pull it quickly a couple of times;
- Put the throttle in the “half-throttle” position and pull the starter rope again;
- After starting the saw, press on the “gas” and lift it off the ground;
- Release the chain brake and check the quality of the working chain lubrication by giving the device full throttle over a sheet of light paper (if oil drops appear, the saw works normally);
- The saw can be operated according to the regulations.
Chainsaw Stihl-180: instruction and operation manual and technical characteristics Stihl MS-180, device and diagram
The Stihl chainsaw is a unique device designed to facilitate the complex and time-consuming process of sawing trees and their further processing. It is difficult to imagine today many necessary professions without this miracle of technology.
Take, for example, builders (wooden housing construction), lumberjacks, public utilities workers and just people who often resort to her services in the course of running their own household. All of them approved this device and today they cannot imagine life without this irreplaceable assistant.
The choice of a chainsaw should be carried out depending on what tasks it will perform. The main classification of chainsaws is divided into models of the following types:
The chainsaw can be used not only for cutting trees, but also small-diameter logs. As a rule, its work should not exceed 40 minutes. In a day. These simplified models are small in power and are used for periodic work applications. Professional chainsaws are much more advanced devices designed to work 12-16 hours a day. Check out our ranking of the best chainsaws.
The stihl 660 chainsaw can cut huge trees and is therefore suitable for professional loggers or construction workers. Semi-professional chainsaws are almost complete analogues of professional ones, only with limited operating time. Their possibilities are also wide! Read more about how to cut trees with a chainsaw here.
Saw operation safety
The safety precautions are pretty simple.
Every worker using a Stihl chainsaw must be aware of:
- Device and principle of its action;
- Possible types of problems, as well as options for their quick fix;
- Possibility of recoil effect and its consequences;
- Fuel filling rules;
- Chain lubrication rules;
- Mechanism health check rules.
The personnel working with the device must be dressed in special clothing:
- Special protective trousers;
- Helmet with special earpieces;
- Safety glasses for the eyes;
- Special boots, preferably with non-slip soles.
- You must have a first aid kit with you.
The manufacturer STIHL has taken care of investing many modern ideas and innovative technologies in the development of unique chainsaws that can make human work as easy as possible. The stihl ms 660 chainsaw the price is not high enough. You can find out how much a Stihl chainsaw costs here.
Since its inception, STIHL has relied on modern, often revolutionary developments. For 85 years of experience, the brand name has become an absolute guarantor of quality and the introduction of advanced technologies. At the moment, the STIHL brand stands for the highest quality. In more than one hundred and sixty countries, these products are deservedly popular and help many people in their difficult work. It is the core technical device of STIHL that has made the company a leading manufacturer of chainsaws.
One of the most popular models STIHL MS 180 is distinguished by its simplicity and ease of use, as well as small (relatively) dimensions and optimal weight for work. And this, in turn, provides comfort during work.
How to replace a piston with a quiet 180 chainsaw
If you need to replace an old piston and install a new one, you need to know how to do it correctly and follow a specific algorithm. You also need to have a small slotted screwdriver, special combination wrench, electric screwdriver, hammer, soft drift, compressor and Calm piston stopper.
When replacing a piston or piston group, the chainsaw should be as clean as possible from contamination. Further work is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- The top cover is removed from the saw and the spark plug is lit.
- Remove the side cover.
- Using a screwdriver with an electric drive, the plugs are removed from the shock absorbers of the chainsaw, after which their handle is disconnected from the body.
- Next, remove the drive sprocket and starter.
- Install the piston stop in the spark plug hole and loosen the flywheel retaining nut and clutch.
- Remove the flywheel, clutch gears and oil pump behind the clutch.
- Remove the two screws holding the carburetor and air filter. Remove filter, engine control lever and quiet carburetor.
- Remove the ignition coil and muffler.
After completing all these operations, clean the file from the dirt again, then turn it over and unscrew the four screws that secure the engine to the chainsaw body. After loosening the screws, the motor is detached from the housing and cleaned again.
With the engine removed, the pallet is unwound and the pallet is raised, after which the piston / crankshaft assembly is removed from the engine.
When removing the piston from the cylinder, remember that it is located relative to the cylinder.
Replacing the piston on the Stihl MS 250 chainsaw (part 1)
STIHL, Stihl, MS180, quiet, chainsaw / Start the chainsaw quiet 180.
A distinctive feature of the GPG on the Stil MC 180 is that it has two compression rings, while almost all of its main competitors have only one. According to the manufacturer, the installation of a pair of rings makes it possible to better stabilize the operation of the piston, enhance its cooling and increase the compression in the engine, thereby improving starting.
Description of the piston group of the chainsaw.
The chainsaw has a quiet 180, the piston group has a diameter of 38 mm. The size of the cylinder head is determined by the piston diameter, the cylinder is slightly larger. The GPG MS 180 comes standard with a piston pin, two piston rings and two retaining rings.
The inner surface of the cylinder should ideally be polished and glossy, which should be considered when purchasing a replacement GPG for your chainsaw. If there is damage on the inside of the cylinder, there is no need to install such a cylinder.
Self-replacement of the oil pump with STIHL MS180
Today my review will be visited on how to replace the oil pump and oil drive on a STIHL MS180 chainsaw.
I talked about this purchase in the last review Chinese spare parts for STIHL MS180
Of the tools we need.
First, we will “tie knots” onto the lace, it is necessary that the piston does not reach the top dead center!
Next, we start by disassembling the saw, first unscrew the two nuts with a candle wrench and remove the cover and the tire with the chain.
After this, we need to remove the retaining ring from the sprocket, after which we can freely remove the sprocket itself and the clutch cover, under which there is a needle bearing, which must also be removed.
After that, we need to remove the clutch disc of the STIHL MS180 saw, which holds the nut with a left-hand thread. In order to unscrew the clutch, we need to lock the crankshaft, for this we need the piston not to reach top dead center. This is where our soft fabric lace will come in handy, it must be made of soft fabric, otherwise there is a risk of damaging the piston. We unscrew the candle and put the lace there, then unscrew the clutch with the left-hand thread. The piston will stall and let us unscrew.
The clutch release field, under it we will see the oil pump drive, we also unscrew it to the left and remove it, it will have 100% “Licked” thread due to a jammed pump, that is, the drive must also be replaced along with the pump.
Next, we need to remove the pump, for this we need to completely disassemble the handle, and by screwing in our M5 bolt, pull out the pump. This procedure is difficult to describe in text, so I took it off and suggest you look at replacing the pump, everything is described in detail there.
We naturally assemble the assembly in the reverse order, pay attention to the pump must be installed in a certain direction so that it can pump oil.
Please write in the comments how you think it is worth changing the pump yourself, or is it better to pay 1000r and entrust it to professionals?
If you liked the article, rate it and subscribe to the channel on YouTube too. Thanks for attention
How to change the piston on the Stihl 180 chainsaw
If you need to replace the old piston and install a new one, you need to know how to do this correctly and follow a certain algorithm of actions. You also need a small slotted screwdriver, a special Stihl combination wrench, a power screwdriver, a hammer, a soft material drift, a compressor and a Stihl piston stopper.
When starting work on replacing the piston or piston group assembly, the chainsaw must be cleaned of dirt as efficiently as possible. Further, the work is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- The top cover is removed from the saw and the spark plug is unscrewed.
- Side cover is removed.
- Using a power screwdriver, the stoppers are removed from the shock absorbers of the chainsaw, after which its handle is disconnected from the body.
- Next, you need to remove the drive sprocket and starter.
- Install the piston stopper in the spark plug hole and unscrew the flywheel nut and clutch.
- Remove the flywheel, clutch and oil pump worm gear mechanism, which is located behind the clutch.
- Loosen the two screws securing the carburetor and air filter. Remove the filter, engine control lever and Stihl carburetor.
- Remove ignition coil and muffler.
After all these operations have been carried out, it is necessary to clean the saw from dirt again, then turn it upside down and unscrew the four screws securing the engine to the chainsaw body. By unscrewing the screws, the motor is separated from the housing and is cleaned again.
On the removed engine, the pallet is untwisted and removed, after which the piston assembly with the crankshaft is removed from the engine.
When removing the piston from the cylinder, you must remember how it was located relative to the cylinder.
Next, using a small screwdriver, the piston pin retaining rings are removed, and the crankshaft is disconnected from the piston.
In the case when it is necessary to replace only the piston, you can install it on the crankshaft, then mount the piston pin circlips, while positioning them so that the break point of the circlip is directed downward. This is necessary in order to exclude the possibility of spontaneous popping out of the circlip during engine operation (according to the manufacturer’s instructions Stihl). After that, the compression rings are installed, the cylinder is lubricated with engine oil and the engine is assembled.
Work on installing the piston into the cylinder must be carried out with utmost care, since the compression rings are fragile and easily break.
The crankcase is installed on the engine, a sealant is used as a gasket, after which four fastening screws are mounted and tightened crosswise. Further, the engine is installed on the body of the chainsaw. Subsequent assembly is performed according to the reverse disassembly algorithm.
How to change a piston piston for a Stihl 180
The distinguishing feature of the CPG on the Calm MS 180 is that it has two compression rings, while almost all of its main competitors only have one. According to the manufacturer, installing a pair of rings can better stabilize the piston during operation, increase its cooling and increase compression in the engine, thereby improving starting.