Installation Of A Chain On A Stihl Chainsaw
Reasons for premature failure of saw chains
Accelerated elongation of the part occurs during the running-in phase and in the last quarter of the service life. During these time slots, the headset needs special attention and careful maintenance.
- The reason for the rapid stretching of the saw chain can be the poor quality of the material of the budget model, the mismatch of the configuration of the crown and excessive wear of the drive sprocket, a malfunction or ineffective operation of the lubrication system.
- The full operation of the chainsaw chain also largely depends on the condition of the tire and the drive sprocket, the quality of the chain oil and the performance of the lubrication system, the timely and competent sharpening of the edges of the cutting links.
According to professional sawers, the operator’s style of work and the level of operational stress affect the durability of the headset. The chains of the budget group are more susceptible to stretching, the more expensive branded assortment has no comments on technical and operational properties.
Saw chain replacement and adjustment sequence
It is not technically difficult to change the chain of a household and professional chainsaw on your own. The key to the successful implementation of the adjustment work will be strict adherence to the recommendations of the attached instructions.
Due to the thermal expansion of the metal, the chain is installed on the chainsaw and the subsequent adjustment is made only on a cold tire.
- In the classic solution, the technology provides for the inclusion of a lock against accidental engine start, unscrewing the threaded fasteners, dismantling the tire and cleaning the guide groove from sawdust.
- Next, you should make sure that the dimensions of the shanks correspond to the width of the groove, determine which side to put the chain on the chainsaw, fix the tire and adjust the chain in the sequence indicated by the instructions.
- Before putting the chain on the chainsaw, you should make sure that the direction of the chain on the chainsaw meets the stated requirements, and the chain tensioning mechanism has sufficient free play.
After adjusting the new chain, it is recommended to run the saw at medium speed for 2-3 minutes, then check the chain tension again. This moment can be combined with visual inspection of the lubrication system.
Features of manual and mechanized sharpening
Dull cutting edges of the saw chain appear:
- A noticeable decrease in productivity;
- Ejection of small chips;
- The appearance of a characteristic smell of burnt wood.
To restore the cutting properties of the chains, several types of sharpening devices are used.
In the simplest version, it is a holder mounted on a rail complete with a set of special files, in the other. a sharpener with a power drive. Both technologies have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Low-performance and time-consuming manual chain sharpening helps to preserve its resource. The mechanized method provides good performance, but the lack of an individual approach to each cutting link of the chain negatively affects its durability.
How to tension the chain on a chainsaw: installation and correct operation
Regardless of the class and purpose of the chainsaw, the cutting device includes a guide bar and a saw chain with a tensioner. The instructions contain information on how to properly tension the chain on the chainsaw in order to exclude additional loads on the engine and accelerated wear of the headset.
This element of the sawing mechanism is used in conditions of high variable loads, therefore, it requires constant monitoring during operation. A characteristic feature of operated saw chains is an increase in size due to the formation of gaps in the joints of the links.
The classic budget-class chainsaw chain tensioner is usually a threaded bolt with an adjusting component, standard or side-mounted. The chain tension is adjusted with the included wrench or screwdriver.
expensive models are equipped with easy-to-use devices that allow you to tension the chain with one movement of the lever or turn of the adjusting disc.
In the first case, the degree of tension is fixed with a locknut, in the second, the tire and the chain tensioner are locked in a given position by installing the cover. In both versions, reliable fixation of the chain in a given position is guaranteed, the possibility of compensating for its extension with minimal loss of working time.
Advantages of making a chain set
The chain and the bar are included in the list of interchangeable equipment, so the sawyer, depending on the peculiarities of the work, can use several sets of different lengths and productivity. Average service life of wear-resistant branded tires allows the service life of three saw chains.
The cutting edges of the saw chain links need to be sharpened periodically. The indisputable advantages of using a set of several chains are uniform wear of the drive sprocket and good compatibility with the chains included in the additional set.
Negative consequences of incorrect chain adjustment
Checking the condition and tension of the chain is included in the mandatory list of preparatory work.
It depends on how much you manage to put the chain correctly:
- The duration of its subsequent operation;
- Safety of cutting operations of increased complexity;
- Resource of the engine and chainsaw in general.
A dragged headset drastically reduces work productivity, initiates excessive loads on the power unit and transmission. Tire overheating and excessive fuel consumption also occur.
A loose chain can fly off the bar or break. The formation of traumatic moments is partially or completely eliminated by emergency stop systems and catchers, which allow, with more or less success, to unravel the chainsaw chain and determine its suitability for subsequent operation.
Installing a part with damaged or deformed links can lead to uneven wear of the tire guide groove and other undesirable consequences.
Methods for checking the degree of tension
To check the degree of tension, it is enough to pull the chain in the middle of the tire, the output of the link shanks is allowed no more than 2/3.
- A properly adjusted chain should not stick when manually moving along the bar.
- Creak and other extraneous noises in the area of the leading sprocket are also excluded.
- After running the chain, it is necessary to check the tightness of the threaded fasteners of the bar and the protective cover.
After long-term operation, the chain is not tensioned due to the lack of adjustment travel of the tensioning mechanism. The design of the chain allows its length to be reduced by removing several links. On the other hand, such savings results in a loss of chain smoothness and forced wear of the groove of the tire and the crown of the drive sprocket.
How to properly put the chain and tire on the chainsaw: assembly
The procedure under consideration is quite simple. It is characterized by the following features:
- First, the chain brake is released.
- The tensioning screw is in close proximity to the tire.
- The next step is to pull the cutting element clockwise.
- If it becomes difficult to move the chain, then you have to loosen the fixing screw.
Modern designs of chainsaws greatly simplify the conduct of such work. Therefore, you can do it yourself, even in the absence of special tools.
The chain of the chainsaw together with the guide bar is subjected to the greatest stress during operation, unlike other parts of the chainsaw. Over time, it lengthens in size due to boring gaps in the connecting links. This process occurs with absolutely any type of chain, therefore, when using a chainsaw, it is necessary to periodically monitor the correct chain tension and its wear.
The state of the chain depends on:
- Her life span;
- Safety of felling or timber loosening;
- Internal combustion engine resource.
If the chain is overtightened, the efficiency of the sawing work decreases, and the motor and transmission are subjected to increased loads. The guide bar heats up a lot due to increased friction, the operating mode of the chainsaw goes into excessive consumption of the fuel mixture.
Step-by-step installation algorithm
Not all modern chainsaws are equipped with a setting wheel, which greatly simplifies the procedure for installing the saw blade. Systems with a setting wheel are generally a rarity among household chainsaws. Therefore, it is very important to know the technology and sequence of installing the chain on the chainsaw.
Key points to pay attention to:
- Prepare a level surface on which you will assemble the chain and bar. This will minimize the chance of damage to the chainsaw or loss of small parts. A tire is laid out on the prepared surface and a parallel chain next to it.
- Remove the sprocket protection, on modern chainsaws it is enough to unscrew the wing nut, on older models, you may need a spanner wrench of the appropriate size.
- At the base of the guide bar, turn the sprocket all the way to the right. Only in this position is the chain installed.
- Then the chain is successively placed, link by link, on the fixing groove on the guide rail. Install the chain from the top of the guide, gradually turn it so that the bar is always on top, and the chain is on the bottom, this will allow it to always be taut and fit into the guide groove without problems. Be sure to wear thick protective gloves when performing this step, as your fingers will touch the cutting edge. Viewed from above, the cutter is always forward towards the end of the guide bar.
- Put both the tire and the chain on the drive sprocket.
- Secure the chain sprocket cover in place. Make sure all mounting pins line up with the holes. Incorrect installation with distortions or not completely can cause extraneous noise, rattling.
- Make sure that the guides “go” into the special mounting chute.
- After installation, check that the chain is secure on the chainsaw and on the bar. Everything must be securely fastened without backlash.
An important point is the degree of tension on the chain after installation. Setting the correct tension is easy and takes less than three minutes. First you need to loosen the nuts on the protective cover. Using the freely rotating adjusting screw, catch the correct tension so that the chain does not pull away from the edge of the guide bar more than 3-5 mm.
It remains only to tighten the nuts and check the tension. If correction is needed, adjust the tension again.
How to install the bar and chain on the chainsaw, see the following. Which presents a clear algorithm of actions:
How to untangle a chainsaw chain
When removing an old chain or putting a new chain on the guide bar of the chainsaw, it can become tangled. It can also happen with careless transportation. When the chain is tangled, it folds into rings.
It is necessary to put the chainsaw chain on a horizontal surface and unwind the rings in different directions, while pulling the blade in such a direction that the diameter of the rings increases. Sooner or later, the chain will unravel into its natural position.
There is another way. you can rivet one link of the chain and straighten it, then connect it into a ring and rivet the riveted links back.
Today, the problem associated with an unreliable fixation of the tire is often encountered. It is characterized by the following features:
- The body with the guide element is fixed with a bolt.
- The connection is provided by two plates, one of which is located on the body, the second on that, which is designed to guide the chain at the time of operation.
- The drive sprocket and the tire support are protected by a special casing, which eliminates the possibility of damage to the main elements.
- When the locking bolts are loosened, the structural element in question begins to move and vibrate at the time of operation. This problem can be solved by tightening the fasteners.
Other defects simply cannot be solved. In most cases, defects become the reason why you have to purchase a tire and replace it.
Stretching can be done using two methods: fast and frontal. If stretch is used, then the installation of the chain on the chainsaw is carried out as follows:
- The nuts are unscrewed.
- The tire is held and lifted from the edge.
- There is a special bolt that is used to tension the chain.
- The tire is lifted to eliminate the possibility of sagging of the web.
It is quite simple to do this work, it requires a small set of tools.
The clockwise chain tension is carried out in the case when there is not a lot of free time. The chain screw is securely fixed to eliminate the possibility of rattling at the time of operation.
There are many models of chainsaw chains on the market now. First you need to know which standard size is right for your chainsaw and not make a mistake in buying. The second step is to properly install it on the chainsaw. This is a somewhat laborious process, but if you know how to dress and adjust the chain to the saw bar yourself, then the happy owner should not have any problems. We tried to describe in detail the process of installing a saw blade on a chainsaw.
We hope that after reading this article, you will succeed the first time. But in order to minimize the occurrence of problems with the chainsaw and chain in the future, do not forget 3 basic rules:
- If the chain is worn out and sagged, replace it with a new one;
- If vibration appears during sawing and the cut is bad. watch the chain tension on the chainsaw;
- Never use saw blades that are defective or repaired by dubious specialists, your health and those of those who are nearby are much more important than a little savings on buying a new and reliable chain.
To perform a sufficiently large number of works, a chainsaw can be used. The main cutting element of such a tool is represented by a chain with different blades. Modern versions are characterized by the fact that they can be serviced independently. When cutting for a long time or if basic recommendations are not followed, the cutting edge wears out quickly. That is why it is necessary to remove and sharpen the chain, and then install it. This procedure is characterized by a fairly large number of features, which we will talk about in more detail later.
How to put the chain on a chainsaw correctly: direction
When considering how to correctly put the chain on a chainsaw, we note that the modern version of the tool has a special setting wheel. Due to it, the procedure is greatly simplified. Among its features, we note the following points:
- Considering how to properly put the chain on the chainsaw, we note that first you need to prepare a flat surface. This eliminates the possibility of damage to the tool. After that, the main part of the tool, the bar and the chain are laid out separately.
- The next step is to remove the protection that protects the sprocket. In most cases, it is fixed with a conventional wing nut.
- On the tire, the sprocket turns to the right until it stops. It is in this position that the tool is installed.
- Then the chain is gradually superimposed on the fixing element. A fairly common question can be called which side this element is put on. Installation starts from the top, the chain is rotated so that the bar is on top. Such operations should only be carried out with thick gloves that can withstand the impact of the cutting edge. The cutter on the end face must be facing forward.
- Both elements are worn on an asterisk.
- The next step is to reattach the chain sprocket cover. It is important to make sure that the pins line up with the holes. Improper fixation may cause rattling or other problems.
- It is necessary to ensure that the guides fall into a special chute.
- The state of the chain is checked visually after it is fixed.
The next step is to directly check to see if the chain has been over-tightened. To do this, release the chain brake and pull it along the mowing line of movement. The check is carried out exclusively with special gloves.
In general, we can say that the procedure under consideration is quite simple to execute and does not require special tools. However, not all chainsaws are as easy to maintain as stated above.
What to do if the chain sags
If the chain slack, there is a risk of injury to the operator. the saw blade could break or simply fly off the guide sprockets. Of course, modern chainsaws have safety and emergency stop systems, but these systems do not always work correctly.
It is important not to install a chain with defective or damaged saw links on the chainsaw, in addition to the danger of breaking at any time, such a chain will sharpen the guide grooves of the bar, which will lead to its distortion, uneven cut and failure of the guide bar.
Due to which the chain can sag during even short-term operation?
- There may be problems with the guide bar. Sometimes, due to an oversight of the operator or due to severe wear of the threads of the fixing bolts in the place where the guide bar is attached, vibration may occur, which causes the chain to loosen. Check the condition of the fixing bolts and, if necessary, replace them with new ones. When the bolts are tightened enough, these problems do not arise.
- With enough careful handling of the chainsaw, over time, any chain can wear out. Trying to repair it or collect one from several is a useless exercise. If the chain headset has stretched due to natural causes, then it is best to get a new one.
- The asterisk is skewed. Sagging can occur due to the misalignment of the sprocket teeth. In this case, it would be best to contact a service center to repair and adjust the position of the guide sprocket. It is quite difficult to fix the drive sprocket in the correct position, because you will have to dismantle many small parts, remove the guide rail, and then assemble everything in the reverse order.
Which chain is better than Stihl or Oregon
Choosing which chain is better, Stihl or Oregon is quite difficult, since they are almost the same in quality. The Oregon company, like Stihl, specializes in their production and invests in development, constantly improving and releasing new models.
Compared at the user level, Oregon is a bit softer, blunt faster, but easier to sharpen with a file. Shtilevsky. almost all hardened, metal is hard to sharpen, but keeps the edge a little longer.
3/8 ″ P Picco Micro Mini 3 (PMM3), 1.1mm
A distinctive feature is the narrowest cut possible. Abbreviation PMM3. It is recommended for entry-level chainsaws as well as pole and brush cutters. Has three versions:
- 3/8 ″ P Picco Micro Mini 3 (PMM3), 1.1mm (39);
- 3/8 ″ P Picco Micro Mini 3 (PMM3), 1.1mm (44);
- 3/8 ″ P Picco Micro Mini 3 (PMM3), 1.1mm (50).
Can be used on Stihl chainsaws MC 170, 180, 211, 230. Belongs to the comfort class, because it has minimal vibration and recoil.
Important: a chain with a width of 1.1 mm must be used with an appropriate bar, otherwise, it will dangle in the seat, which will lead to rapid wear of both the headset itself and the guide bar.
Reasons for the rupture of the saw headset
Sometimes, while using a chainsaw, the headset may break. This phenomenon is not common, but it happens from time to time. There may be several reasons, the first and the most common is severe wear. In the process of work, the edges rub against the tire, as a result, the metal is gradually erased and the chain, not withstanding the load, breaks.
The second reason is the untimely replacement of the drive sprocket and the guide bar or their replacement separately. According to the recommendations given by manufacturers, the saw headset, bar and drive sprocket should be replaced as a set. This will prevent wear, stretching and tearing due to increased loads.
Third, this is a marriage when sharpening with a special sharpening machine. The disc of the machine rotates at high speeds and if the depth of the groove is adjusted incorrectly or for some reason the working stroke of the machine increases, then a fraction of a second is enough to cut the edges of the connecting link. If, after sharpening, you do not check its quality and the presence of cut links, then during operation under load, the cut link may break.
Fourth and last, there is a defect in the rivets. A common cause of chain breaks is incorrect connection or reuse of connecting links. If your cutting attachment is torn, information on how to connect the chain will be very useful.
Which rip saw chain to use
From users of chainsaws, the question often comes: which chain is suitable for ripping sawing and are there chains specifically designed for this purpose.
With the help of a straightening machine, you can make a special one from an ordinary headset. to facilitate a longitudinal cut. You can find information on how exactly this is done on our website.
1/4 ″ Rapid Micro Spezial (RMS), 1.3mm
Designed specifically for shaped cuts in wood. A distinctive feature is the shortened upper edge of the tooth, thanks to which there is no need to press on the saw in order for the chain to cut into the wood. It is characterized by high speed and smoothness when making curved cuts compared to conventional chains with the same 1/4 ″ pitch. Available in two versions:
- 1/4 Rapid Micro Spezial, 1.3mm (56)
- 1/4 Rapid Micro Spezial 1.3mm (64).
3/8 ″ Rapid Duro Rescue (RDR) 1.6mm
This is a special Stihl chain for emergency rescue operations, in our country it has received the nickname “Supertooth”. Due to the victorious soldering on the cutting edge of the tooth, it can cut wood with nails, glass, brick and other building materials. Where the most difficult conditions and the usual chain will be helpless, Rapid Duro Rescue (RDR) will do everything as quickly as possible.
It has a length of 72 teeth, it is not available in other versions, it is recommended for use on saws for rescue operations, for example, the Stihl MS 461 R with a power of 4.4 kW. The price of Rapid Duro recommended by the manufacturer from 9060 rubles.
All the that we announced in the article are taken from the official website of the company.
We offer to look. Which shows the comparison test for Stihl saw chains. In English, but it shows that a concrete insert is poured into the trunk of the tree on which the sawing speed test is carried out. A regular headset cannot cope even with three cuts, while a special headset makes more than 10 cuts and remains operational.
Picco Micro (PM)
Low profile Stihl chain recommended by the manufacturer for use on lightweight chainsaws and delimbers. The peculiarity of the chain is a soft cut, with reduced recoil. It has four versions, which differ in the number of links. It:
- 3/8 ″ P Picco Micro (PM), 1.3mm (50);
- 3/8 ″ P Picco Micro (PM), 1.3 mm (51);
- 3/8 ″ P Picco Micro (PM) 1.3mm (55);
- 3/8 ″ P Picco Micro (PM) 1.3 mm (56).
Such a chain can be used on Stihl MS 180, 250 and. Etc. Recommended retail. The specific price depends on the number of links. Also, the Stihl saw chain can be sold in coils of 50 and 100 meters, riveting can be done using a Stihl riveting machine or similar. Information on how to rivet correctly can be found on our website.
Sharpening machine Stihl
A little about the Stihl sharpener. Today the USG machine is presented on the official website of the company. The sharpening on the machine works automatically, and the feed is carried out manually. The machine is capable of sharpening not only the cutting edge of the working tooth, but also the depth gauge, which is impossible to do on similar machines of competitors. For more information about the Stihl sharpening machine and its work, see.
Stihl chains overview
Stihl not only manufactures chainsaws and lawn mowers, but also supplies for them. In this article we will tell you about Stihl saw chains, their types, markings, characteristics, compare with competitors.