What should be lubricated in the trimmer?. The process of lubricating the gears
Gear Lubricant for grass trimmer
Buying any machine is kind of a lottery, but a lot also depends on the gardener. In caring hands and Chinese samples serve long and do not let their owners down at the wrong time. And if you forget to timely lubricate the gear reducer of brushcutters, do not clean filters, use cheap low-quality gasoline, then the garden equipment from the most famous brands will become a headache.
2 CYCLE REPAIR : HOW TO PROPERLY LUBRICATE THE GEAR HEAD AND DRIVE CABLE ON A STIHL EDGER
Gear lubrication of brushcutters is one of the most important elements of gasoline grass trimmer maintenance, which should be done directly by the user.
Time and procedure for preventive maintenance of the gearbox
I recommend preventive maintenance of your new gasoline grass trimmer immediately after purchase by adding grease to the gearbox. Although garden equipment is very expensive, some manufacturers cut corners and lubricate only to a minimum during the running-in period.
How often to lubricate the gearbox of a brushcutter
Often preventive inspection of the transmission with liquid grease is carried out once a year at the beginning or end of the season. If you don’t use your petrol grass trimmer as much as you do professionally, that’s all you need.
If you mow a lot, you should lubricate the gearbox of your brushcutter every 20 to 50 hours of operation. If the operating conditions of garden equipment are hard, for example, mowing a large field at a time, and the lawnmower has no time to cool down, or cheap lubricants are used, then the lubricant must be checked and added every 20 hours of work.
Indirect evidence that it is necessary to lubricate the gearbox can serve as overheating or increased noisiness of the unit.
I also recommend the complete replacement of lubricant with disassembly and washing of the unit when buying a second-hand gasoline grass trimmer.
Gear lubricant for gasoline grass trimmer
A range of greases for garden equipment
According to the instructions for lubricating bevel gears, a special gear lubricant should be used. As a rule, manufacturers of garden equipment produce and recommend their brand of chemicals as the most adapted to their devices.
At the same time, in order to reduce the cost of operation of garden equipment and increase the attractiveness of the brand of automotive chemicals, lubricants for garden equipment are usually made multifunctional. It is not only intended for lubricating the gears of gasoline trimmers, but also for treating the hoses, gears and gearboxes of any garden equipment and mechanical devices operating under high loads.
This gearbox grease is sold in easy-to-use and easy-to-store tubes.
Even if the specialized gear lubricant is almost completely exhausted during operation, the additives still create an effective lubricating protective film on the surface of the gears.
It should be noted that many brushcutter owners on the expanses of the former CIS countries for the lubrication of the gearboxes use the regular Lithium-based Lithol-24 or Grease for Cables. It’s easy to fill a gearbox with a 5cc medical syringe.
The undoubted advantage of using Lithium-based grease and Lithium-based grease in the transmission of brushcutters is cheaper operation. But there are nuances because of which break a spear on forums of gardeners Internet space. My thoughts on what can be lubricated with lithium-based grease and what not, read the article “Lithol as a brushcutter gear lubricant”.
How to grease a gear reducer of brushcutters, gasoline grass trimmer
Screw 17 on the gearbox of the gasoline grass trimmer
For safety reasons, to prevent the engine from starting up inadvertently, all maintenance work on the brushcutter must be carried out with the spark plug boot / plug removed. Do not turn the trimmer upside down to avoid gasoline leaks.
Remove the side screw on the brushcutter gearbox. Depending on the cutting attachment manufacturer, there may be a hexagonal bolt instead of the hexagonal bolt. often 17. Screws are unscrewed anti-clockwise. Do not lose the sealing washer.
If there is no grease visible on the inside face of the screw, you need to add 3 to 4 grams. Turn the transmission by hand, reversing direction of rotation to distribute the lubricant over the gears.
Then refit the screw and tighten it firmly.
Removing and lubricating the lower shaft of the lawnmower
To remove the shaft from the lower part of the boom, first remove the reducer spool.
- Unscrew the central fixing screw completely. On the back side of the lower clamping screw unscrew the nut and unscrew the screw completely to disconnect the reducer of the coil from the protective cover.
- Loosen the upper clamping screw and remove the lower part of the boom from the reducer housing. Remove the lower shaft from the gearbox side of the shaft.
- Clean shaft from dirt and grease it with grease for joints or Lithol-24, not forgetting to clean and grease coupling (bushing) with splines in reducer.
- Insert the shaft into the rod and the rod into the lower gearbox of the lawnmower and align the hole on the rod with the hole for the central screw. Screw in the central screw. Next, tighten the lower screw, clamp the lower part of the rod in the reducer housing with the upper and lower screws and tighten the nut on the reverse side of the lower screw.
- Add 20-30 ml of grease to the reel gearbox through the hole covered by the screw on the right in the photo.
In the operation manual for gasoline grass trimmer PRORAB 8405M, 8406M it is recommended to lubricate gearbox with solidol or its analogues, in extreme case pour liquid engine oil. Excess oil will leak out as the Geareducer has no seals.
STIHL grass trimmer, brushcutter, clearing saw INCORRECT gearbox disassembly
According to the PRORAB 8402P, 8403P, 8405P, 8406P gasoline grass trimmer user manual, it is allowed to use two-stroke engine oil as a gear lubricant. There is no mention of solide or its analogues.
To save yourself the hassle, lubricate your lawn mower’s bottom gearbox with the same grease as the shaft or use engine oil.
How to adjust your lawnmower (carburetor)
Correct adjustment is the key to successful operation of the unit in the future.
Beginners sometimes do not know how important this process is for chain saws and petrol trimmers, and skip it or simply do not know how to adjust the lawnmower carburetor, believing that the factory settings are quite enough. However it is not. Inspect all mechanisms and adjust carburettor at regular intervals.
Important information and tips on tuning the gasoline carburetor in gasoline-powered brushcutters:
- There are 3 screws in the carburetor: the left screw (H), the bottom screw (T) and the right screw (L). To get to the screws, you need to know how to disassemble the lawnmower, and more specifically, how to get to the carburetor. This information should be specified in the product data sheet.
- The lower screw (T) is responsible for idling, the right screw (L) is responsible for the amount of fuel entering the combustion chamber at low rpm, and the left screw (H) is responsible for fuel entering at high rpm.
- Operate carburetor at idle speed. Correctly adjusted, it runs uniformly when the engine is hot and cold, at low and high rpm. If something goes wrong, you need to turn the lower screw (T).
- Adjustment of fuel flow at low rpm is adjusted by turning the right hand screw (L) a quarter turn counterclockwise.
- Setting the carburetor at high RPM is done as follows: open throttle and press maximum throttle. Turn the left-hand screw (H) clockwise until the rpm drops. After that turn the screw counterclockwise until the engine is uneven. Then slowly turn the screw clockwise until you hear the engine running smoothly and evenly.
- The spark plug is also an indicator of proper carburetor adjustment. If it malfunctions, the spark plug has a fouling on it, but if it is adjusted correctly, the working part of the plug will remain clean.
This is the most versatile algorithm on how to adjust the carburetor on a gasoline mower. Individual adjustment depends on the configuration of your machine model.
Lubricant for the gasoline grass trimmer
Correct maintenance of your brushcutter is a guarantee of longevity and good working order. The manufacturers try to take into account all nuances and prescribe what materials to use for maintenance. Generally no specific lubricant type is specified, just common standards that lubricants must meet.
The lubricant must be chosen so as to take account of temperature conditions, rotation speed, load dynamics and vibrations. The main requirement is that the mixture must remain in the zone of maximum friction.
Greases must have good anti-corrosive properties, reliably protecting components against rust.
Based on the above information, it should be noted that chainsaw manufacturers develop universal additional means for their machines. It can be maintained with general industrial compositions. The main requirement is that it is suitable for the operating conditions, namely that it contains an anti-rust and lime compound as well as a filler that consists of a solid lubricant. Grease is poured into the gearbox in a special hole, the unit is not dismantled.
The change takes place fairly quickly.
- First disconnect the unit from the mains. Drain the gasoline from the gasoline-powered device.
- If the lubricant is to be completely replaced, the gearbox must be flushed. To do this, first pour in the cleaner, then rinse the gearbox well, then drain it. It is important to clean the housing completely.
- With a special tool, which is included with the trimmer, you need to unscrew the plug of the gearbox.
- Press grease into the opening with a syringe and squeeze out 2-5 ml of grease.
- Turn shaft by hand, switch on mower at low rpm without any load. This is to ensure that the grease is properly distributed in the areas subject to maximum friction.
Design and principle of operation of the trimmer gearbox
Gearbox is a device for transmitting rotation to the cutting part from the motor shaft. Its second function is to convert angular speed of the output shaft into lower or higher rotation speed. In the first case, the device is called “demultiplier” and is used on trimmers with powerful engines, in the second. “multiplier” and is installed on low-power tools. The reducer is always placed at the bottom of the boom of gasoline and electric mowers of different brands, whether “Champion”, Huter or other brand.The design of the gearbox is as follows. Main parts are pinion shaft (for motor transmission) and toothed wheel mounted on the driven shaft (for rotation of the cutting unit). To reduce the friction force during movement, rolling bearings are placed on the bearing points of the shafts. They are protected by special washers that allow to save grease and prevent penetration of dirt inside the seating. All parts are placed in a duralumin housing with a special technological hole for entering the lubricant. It is necessary so you don’t have to dismantle the assembly to grease it all the time.
Thus, in the construction of the gearbox, depending on the model and brand that produced the technique (e.g., Sterwins, “Prorab”), includes several gears, interconnected by teeth to transfer rotation and moving at high speed. They become very hot due to high friction.
Important! If there is no or insufficient lubrication, the gears overheat and break, resulting in the need to replace damaged elements. To avoid such unpleasant consequences, it is necessary to use lubricant in time and treat the transmission unit with it.
How to correctly lubricate the gearbox of a lawnmower
First remove the gearbox from the shaft. A detailed assembly-disassembly process can be seen in the video at the end of the article. Unscrew the bolts from the gearbox housing.
Take a CVT and squeeze it into a hole designed for the lubrication of the gearbox, which is located in the housing.
It is very important to fill up the gearbox with grease to the top, so to speak. This will avoid the formation of air s.
After greasing we assemble everything in the reverse order. Screw in screws and fasten gearbox to the boom. That’s all there is to it. Don’t regret too much grease.
Many will say that you can not use so much grease, which will lead to various problems in the work of the lawnmower. But in fact it’s easier than that and there’s no reason to panic.
At high speeds (around 6000-6500 rpm) the lubrication points of the.) Excess grease is squeezed out of the gearbox through the bearings and over the splines into the shaft. And as a result, there is just as much grease as is needed for operation.
You can see more details on how to lubricate the gearbox of a lawnmower in the video below. Tips shared by the author of the YouTube channel “repair Nick TV.
What can be used to lubricate the gearbox of grass trimmer?? Places of grass trimmer lubrication
Correct maintenance is essential for long and reliable operation of the tool. Primitive maintenance operations include timely lubrication of the gearbox and cleaning of the grass trimmer filter. And what to lubricate the gearbox of the grass trimmer, every user must know. Cleaning is carried out in several stages:
- After removing the hood, the element is removed.
- Then it is washed with gasoline and dried (naturally).
- The place under the filter is cleaned of oil residue and dust.
- Check the boom for rotation during operation.
Is it possible to lubricate the gearbox of the grass trimmer with solidol, if no other means are available?? No, for long life, machinery manufacturers recommend the use of specialized lubricants. Some manufacturers develop care products that are adapted directly to the brand-name tool. To lubricate the working pairs, you only need to unscrew the plug and pour the liquid into the container.
Lubricating the gearbox
Gearbox is a mechanical device that is designed to transmit torque from motor to cutting equipment. Located at the bottom of the grass trimmer.
Immediately before maintenance work, remove the electrical cap (or plug from the plug). Do not turn the grass trimmer upside down to avoid fuel leakage. To change the lubricant, you need to disassemble the machine.
The disassembly process consists of the following steps:
- side screw must be unscrewed.
- If there are no traces of grease, then it should be added (3-4 grams).
- Next, the transmission is cranked by hand. This is done to distribute the material evenly over the gears.
Repeat the operation. The unit must be thoroughly filled with grease. At the end of the operation the screw must be set in place and firmly tightened.
To lubricate the gearbox of the grass trimmer, it is necessary to clean the plug and the place around it of dirt, then unscrew it. the lawnmower is placed on its left side. By rotating the gearing, grease is simultaneously added to the gear housing until it is full.
How to choose the right grease
During the operation, the nodes of the mechanism are loaded with the contact forces on the teeth, the reactions of resistance when debris enters, as well as dynamic and shock loads. Depending on the characteristics of the load, you should choose what to lubricate the trimmer gear for grass.
The following factors should be taken into account when selecting:
- manufacturer’s brand;
- Viscosity of the lubricant (the selection of this parameter depends on the torque of the shaft);
- adhesion to the surface of assembly parts;
- intensity of grease consumption (ambient temperature, type and volume of work must be taken into account).
If a suitable lubricant is not available, universal lubricants can be used. The latter must contain some components:
- anti-wear additives (without toxic lead);
- mineral oils of high purity (inorganic);
- solid lubricants with graphite or molybdenum disulfide.
Different types of lubricants
Greases of different consistencies are used for maintenance of gear units:
- Semi-liquid. These formulations contain a variety of additives and processing aids.
- Plastic. Are the most universal of all lubricants. Particularly suitable for gear and screw drives.
- Solid. Plate slurries in their original condition.
Special gear composition refers to a semi-liquid system.
STIHL grass trimmer grease is popular. Special formulation and components greatly reduce wear and increase resistance to corrosion. The main properties of this brand of grease are:
STIHL grease is suitable for brushcutters and trimmers, as well as all gears with closed housing.
Faults and remedies
- Severe (or fast) heating. Lack of lubrication is the main reason. If this fault is found, you should add lubricant and run the tool sparingly.
- Increased vibration, gearboxes wobble.
Grass trimmer lubrication places
Careful inspection and maintenance should be performed for smooth operation and longevity of the mechanism. Lubrication of moving parts is important. In the majority of cases they are:
Popular among the users is the multipurpose waterproof grease “Lithol-24. Operating temperature range. from.40 to 120 degrees. This grease is used in friction nodes and is effective at high temperatures.
Properties of trimmer grease
Special substances are used for lubrication and must comply with environmental regulations and standards. After use, they decompose without harming the environment.
Material consistency is initially too viscous, but the viscosity decreases during operation. Such a factor ensures full penetration and reliable protection of the working couples under hot conditions.
Longer use and trouble-free operation is ensured by timely and proper care. Different materials are used for care operations.
Well-known manufacturers carry out the development of their own brand care products. These include: grease for trimmers “Husqvarna”, “Champion”, “Makita” and others.
The gearbox of the gasoline grass trimmer is lubricated every 8-10 working hours.
Users’ reviews of the lubricants
Experts advise to use only original materials, the characteristics of which meet the requirements of the manufacturer. If there are none, you should clarify what to lubricate the gear reducer of the grass trimmer.
Experienced users do not advise to use solidol, because this material is not suitable for the temperature and speed characteristics of the node, as well as the consistency.
Also the material given does not have anti-wear properties.
The working temperature range of solidol. from minus 40 to 65 degrees, but even at such parameters in the process of heating the density of the material increases, and the grease itself becomes coarse. In the case of an emergency, “Lithol-24” can be used to treat the tool.
Grass trimmer lubrication points
Careful inspection and maintenance are essential to trouble-free operation and durability of the mechanism. Lubrication of moving parts is important. In most cases these are:
The multipurpose water-resistant grease “Lithol-24” is popular among users. Operating temperature range. from.40 to 120 degrees. This grease is used in friction units and is effective at elevated temperatures.
What Users Say about Grease
Specialists advise to use only original materials, the characteristics of which meet the requirements of the manufacturer. If there are none, you should clarify what to lubricate the gearbox of the grass trimmer. Experienced users do not recommend using solidol, because this material is not suitable for the temperature and speed characteristics of the node, as well as the consistency. This material also has no antiwear properties.
The working temperature range of solidol. from minus 40 to 65 degrees, but even at such parameters in the process of heating the density of the material increases, and the grease itself becomes coarse. In case of urgent need to treat a tool, “Lithol-24” can be used.