Bosch Washer Motor Bearing Replacement
Automatic washing machine (AFM) is equipped with manufacturers of three types of electric motors. Knowing what type of electric motor is installed in your AFM, already at the stage of purchasing the device you can determine whether it will be necessary to spend effort and money on possible repair (replacement) of carbon brushes, a bearing in the motor of a washing machine, an automatic machine, and so on.
Engine of an automatic washing machine (AFM) Indesit, LG, Bosch, Samsung
So, the first type: two- and three-phase asynchronous electric motor. The main advantage of such a device is its low cost (in case of a forced replacement), simplicity and reliability in operation. Major repairs are to lubricate the engine and replace bearing blocks. During operation, an induction motor generates a very low noise level.
The disadvantages of such an energy converter include:
- Large size device.
- Low efficiency.
- Complex control wiring.
To date, asynchronous type motors, as a rule, are mounted on inexpensive, low-cost AFMs.
The second type. Collector electric motors. Eighty percent of the existing washing machines operate from such a drive.
There are a lot of positive qualities of this type of motors, and there is no sense in listing them (this is beyond the scope of this article).
But some disadvantages are worth mentioning:
- High noise background.
- Not long enough service life.
- Frequent brush replacement due to technical device design.
Type three. The latest and most recent development in the motor line for washing machines is an inverter (brushless) electric motor. Used by the world’s leading AFM brands (Indesit, LG, Bosch, Samsung, Electrolux, Ariston) in the latest models. Among the advantages of an inverter motor:
- Almost complete absence of noise.
- High efficiency.
- Small installation dimensions.
- Lack of graphite (carbon) brushes and so on.
There are practically no shortcomings, with the exception of one. High cost due to the difficulty in producing this type of engine.
Replacing the washing machine motor brushes
Being the proud owner of a washing machine with a collector motor, be prepared for frequent replacements of its electric brushes (subject to frequent and heavy loads). The user will be notified of the need for an urgent replacement in Bosch typewriters (Indesit, LG, Samsung, Electrolux, Ariston) by the error code appearing on the display. F21 or E, informing about the occurrence of problems with the collector type electric motor. Or you will understand everything yourself, based on the fact that:
- The rotation of the drum noticeably slowed.
- Extraneous noise appeared during the operation of the AFM.
- With extreme wear and tear of the brushes, a characteristic smell of burning and sparks appears in the engine compartment.
The replacement procedure itself does not cause difficulties even for people who do not have knowledge of electrical engineering. In form and content, with the exception of small parts, it almost completely repeats the process of replacing carbon brushes in electric drills. It looks like this:
- Partially disassemble the housing of the washing machine in its rear.
- We provide free access to the motor from electrical wires and other parts, carefully disconnecting them and remembering the location.
- If necessary, you can remove the engine itself, but it is better to avoid this. Manufacturers leave a blank space on the sides of the drive to facilitate the replacement of carbon brushes.
- Having found their location (on 2 sides of the engine), we remove the electrical terminal of the supply wire, squeezing (sliding) the brush retainer, we extract its remnants pushed out of the socket by a special spring.
- Replace with a new carbon brush (Bosch, Indesit, LG, Samsung, Electrolux, Ariston). Repeat the operation for 2 parts.
- We restore the washing machine in the reverse order.
Bearing replacement in the motor (asynchronous) of the washing machine
Replacing bearings is a more complicated operation than replacing brushes. First of all, this is due to a long process almost complete disassembly of the asynchronous motor type and the need for special tools (strippers). In a nutshell, the change of bearings in the AFM can be formulated as follows: the work of removing the pulley from the rotor, dismantling the worn bearing and pressing a new part.
Replacing the engine in an Indesit washing machine (Bosch, LG, Samsung, Electrolux, Ariston)
The replacement of the electric motor in the washing machine is automatic if the engine is completely unsuitable for further operation. Or in the presence of sufficient financial resources and even more laziness that does not allow you to bother looking for the reasons for the failure of the electric motor. That is, there is a new motor, free time too, there is no desire to meticulously understand the causes of a device breakdown. But the very replacement of the engine of the LG washing machine, etc. A great reason for self-affirmation! This, of course, is a joke. But seriously speaking, the engine with the AFM is removed according to the following scheme.
- We release from the mounts and remove the back panel (for Indesit, Ariston, Electrolux AFM) and the front panel, if it is a Boch machine (Siemens, Samsung, LG).
- The standard engine location is under the AFM tank. The mount usually consists of four landing points (photo), two of which (external) are fixed with screws.
- Before unscrewing the screws, remove the drive belt and release the wires in contact with the device.
- After removing the screws, the engine extends towards itself.
- Replacement is performed with the serviceable mechanism similar capacity and other technical parameters of the same shape attachment.
- After the installation is completed and the washing machine is brought back to its original (assembled) state, the device is started and checked.
Replacing the engine of a Bosch washing machine in the.