Chainsaw Does Not Hold Idle
Chinese Chainsaw Does Not Hold Idle
Trimmers and Chainsaws
DIY chainsaw repair (repair of a Chinese chainsaw)
1. The first chainsaw repair their own hands: dropped the snap ring of the piston pin (during repairs Chinese chainsaws need to disassemble the motor to one hundred percent change all the gaskets, to change the locking ring finger piston, compression piston rings, remove the bully on the piston and the cylinder mirror either on a shiny or nikosiloy coating of the inner surface of the cylinder).
2. Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: a hot chainsaw stalls at idle and during rebuilding (the reason is problems with fuel supply; for troubleshooting a chainsaw, see the carburetor and fuel line).
3. The flywheel was unscrewed and broke the shaft (regular do-it-yourself chainsaw repair).
4. The key “jammers” has broken.
5. The oil pump drive (plastic) has failed.
6. The needle roller bearing “flew”.
7. Chainsaw malfunction: the brake band burned out (and melted the cover).
8. There were cracks in the plastic caps of the cylinder and starter (need repairing a Chinese chainsaw).
9. The part of the drum in the starter that broke the spring has broken off.
10. Blown gasket under the muffler.
11. Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: a rusty needle bearing inside the clutch drum (it must be cleaned, washed and greased so that the chain does not rotate at idle, the clutch is unscrewed clockwise).
12. The plastic axis of the starter has broken (can be replaced with a metal bolt).
13. Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: the starter spring burst (replace with a new one).
14. The starter’s drum broke (in order to avoid this in the future, it is necessary to replace the factory round rope with a flat nylon rope).
15. Repair of the Chinese chainsaw: in the exhaust window of the cylinder (under the muffler), it is necessary to check, and if there is, then saw off the tooth-shaped protrusion of the metal with a file, because over time, this protrusion will damage the piston and rings.
16. Change the gasket between the halves of the crankcase (put 0.2 mm thick, instead of the one that is now 0.5 mm thick) to prevent air leakage into the crankcase through loose seals.
17. It is necessary to redo the valve on the fuel tank (it works from the factory to vacuum in the tank, and when the tank is heated during prolonged sawing and, accordingly, pressure increase in it, the chainsaw starts to work unstable). We need to remove the chainsaw handle and see a white cap on the tank, we need to remove it, remove the black rubber under it, pierce the cap several times with an awl, collect it and everything. The gas will not pour out when tilted, and the tank will release excess pressure.
18. Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: floods a candle, “eats” gas, sucks air into the tank (leaky crankcase. Check the oil seals on the crankshaft).
19. The starter cable breaks when you turn off the chainsaw (early ignition. Remove the starter and check if the nut is tightened on the shaft, check the fastening of the ignition coil).
20. Tear the lace at idle (add speed with the “T” screw and screw the “L” screw all the way, then turn it 1.5 turns, eliminate air leakage between the carburetor and the cylinder).
21. Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: the spark has disappeared (the ignition coil has failed).
22. Leaked gasoline (changed the tank cap).
23. It is immediately necessary to replace the chain with a calm one.
24. The catcher broke (again repairing a Chinese chainsaw).
If you had any other repairs of the chainsaw with your own hands (repairs of the Chinese chainsaw), write about them in the comments.
What to do if the chainsaw does not keep idle?
In this you will learn one of the failures in which the chainsaw does not work at low speeds and start up.
Do not work idle
33 thoughts on “DIY chainsaw repair (repairing a Chinese chainsaw)”
When the chainsaw is planted, the fuel mixture flies out of the carburetor, the engine certainly will not start, why does this happen, who knows? I read that there is some kind of inlet valve that does not allow the fuel to be squeezed out of the crank chamber into the carburetor. Maybe he broke, and nobody writes where he is.
Hello. I’ll tell you a little about DIY chainsaw repair, i.E. About his seven years of experience with the Chinese Goodluck chainsaw. I bought it as soon as they appeared on the market. The number on the chainsaw is present. It is applied by engraving, which means that it was brought to the country as a chainsaw (tobish is assembled in a celestial factory), and this is a huge plus. Those chainsaws that are sold without a number are imported for spare parts and are assembled somewhere in the basement, and this is a minus. Further. He used XADO oil in it and still use it. Repair of a Chinese chainsaw. Regarding your malfunction of the chainsaw, I can say the following. Of course, I’m not special (but from the point of view of banal erudition) I will say: On those Chinese chainsaws that came into my hands there was never a check flap valve between the cylinder and the carburetor. And the intake valve is in the carburetor itself. If during the repair of the chainsaw with your own hands, remove the bottom cover of the carburetor (it is MANDATORY to remember, and it is better to photograph each operation in order to collect everything correctly), we will see a rubber membrane with a metal washer in the middle of which (during operation) one part of the intake rocker arm rests valve. The principle of his work is as follows. When the piston in the cylinder moves, either pressure or vacuum is created under the piston, and these drops through a certain channel (hole) are transferred to the carburetor chamber where this membrane is located. She moves from the pressure drops. Thus, pressing on the rocker then opens, then closes the inlet valve which supplies a certain part of the fuel to the carburetor through the nozzle (hole) which opens and closes the valve attached to the other end of the rocker. So here. If in this hole, something got caught and stuck (stuck), then the valve does not close and therefore it turns out that the fuel constantly flows into the carburetor (underdosed) and it gets VERY much. So much so that it even flies back through the carburetor. Accordingly, there is a lot of fuel, it fills the candle and the saw does not work. DIY chainsaw repair, i.E. How to eliminate. If you are confident in your abilities, you need to disassemble and clean (with non-metallic objects) and then rinse with gasoline and blow through the entire carburetor. Put everything back (assemble). Check tightness of all connections and their tightness. Further. Unscrew the candle, turn the saw down with the candle hole down (with the ignition off) and chop the saw with a starter 15 times in order to remove the gasoline accumulated from the overflow from the chamber under the crankshaft. After that, light a candle and you will be happy. If you are not 100% sure of your abilities, then my advice to you is: Contact a specialist. Chinese technology is not so bad as they say. Verified by personal experience. Repair of a Chinese chainsaw. All the best to you.
About DIY chainsaw repair. Forgot the most important thing. It is necessary to fill in clean gasoline (filtered through a mesh that does not allow water to pass through) and it is NECESSARY to seal the junction of the air filter with the carburetor so that there is no suction of small chips into the carburetor. I put an additional rubber ring of a suitable diameter in the groove of the filter. Now it is tightly pressed by the nut that is on the lid. Gum found on the market, on the layout.
Hello. The Chinese Taiga bindersaw, the kickstarter broke, put a new one, after an hour of operation the clutch loosened up, put it in place, when re-factory the clutch shattered into pieces, put the new clutch on, did not start, checked the candle. It was filled in, dried, cleaned the air filter and muffler , it does not start again, sneezes, squeezed gas and tried to start it, I pull the starter cord smoke, 5 times I pulled the clutch with the clamped gas untwisted, twisted it, cranked it with my hand when turning the smoke from the muffler.
DIY chainsaw repair. What do you mean by saying that the clutch is “untwisted”? Did it twist along the threads from the crankshaft shaft? If we are talking about one clutch. I think about the clutch that is on the right side and the leading star is on it. It should not (in principle) unscrew during the operation of the chainsaw. Because there must be a left thread. Tobish at work, this node should be tightened, and not unscrew. If the opposite happens then there is some kind of marriage. Ask more about repairing a Chinese chainsaw. How can I.
Hello! The Chinese Stihl ms 280 chainsaw, the problem is that the hole gets clogged very quickly to lubricate the chain (right at the start of work) and thus the chain is not lubricated! I don’t know how to troubleshoot a chainsaw.
Which hole? If what is on the tire itself and is clogged with small chips, then the advice is as follows: When you start sawing logs, immediately add gas, then saw off a piece and only when it has ceased to dump gas at idle. If for any need it is necessary not to finish it to the end, then the gas is not discharged until the entire tire is taken out of the cut. This is necessary so that small chips do not fall under the teeth of the chain. The chips are correct and the whole flies out only at maximum speed. And further. Each time you finish sawing and intend to leave the saw alone for at least a few days, you must definitely remove and clean the air filter and remove the tire inside of the chip. If this is not done, the oil shavings swell and block the correct access of oil to lubricate the chain, because of which, over time, it may be necessary to repair the chainsaw with your own hands.
Hello! The saw did not start, there was no vacuum in the tube from the crankcase, the oil seal on the clutch side was torn. After replacement, the saw starts up poorly and only with the throttle fully open, it works only at high speeds, you start setting the quantities normal with the screw, it stalls. Karb, changed it from a working saw, put a new ignition unit. The seals are both new, the gasket under the cylinder is new paranitic, what else to do?
Check the gasket under the carburetor and heat insulator
Chainsaw Doesn’t Keep Turnover Stalls
Why the chainsaw stalls, the main reasons.
The main causes of chainsaw damage
Although the chainsaw is a simple device, periodically there are malfunctions in its operation, which of course can be eliminated only by disassembling. As examples, the following malfunctions can be given:
- Chainsaw does not develop;
- Chainsaw ceases to function in the cut;
- The chainsaw will not stall;
- Chainsaw loses its power;
- Chainsaw stalls when pressed.
Most often, malfunctions are associated with interruptions in the functioning of the motor, in addition to malfunctions of other systems not nodes. Of great importance is the proper handling of this technique. Why the chainsaw does not stall and if the chainsaw does not keep idle. When all the rules of use are followed, the problems with a high probability lie in the most obvious. When searching for the causes of malfunctions, it is advisable to start by checking the simplest part of the chainsaw and not finish the most difficult.
Checking the main chainsaw systems
If the chainsaw refuses to work normally, you need to make sure in such a section that our client is provided with the conditions required for its production activities:
Then it is necessary to consistently check the functioning of all its elements. First you need to check the fuel tank. If the reason is not in the volume not as fuel, then the spark plugs are usually the probable cause of the malfunction. The clearance at the candle should not exceed 0.5 millimeters. Why the chainsaw is not gaining momentum and stalls. If the chainsaw, one minute after starting, is not able to gain momentum or stalls when the trigger is pulled, the carburetor is most likely or. If it is too small, it means that soot has deposited on candles. Then you should remove the candles, clean them, then install in place not to try to start a chainsaw. Today, it is sometimes desirable to completely replace the candles with new ones, even if they are in good condition.
Then you need to check the condition of the fuel filter is not a carburetor. Independent cleaning of the fuel filter is a simple task, but the best way to repair the carburetor is to specialists.
Chainsaw starts and stalls. Reason
If the chainsaw starts up and stalls at the first attempt to do the job, then the reason may be a problem with the chain brake, in other words, its jamming due to lack of lubrication. And then the oil level is measured. If the amount of lubricant is sufficient, the cause may be a tube that leads to the lubrication mechanism.
Another reason, as a rule, is a carburetor breakdown. If he needs only adjustment, it is carried out independently according to the instructions. In that case, the carburetor needs to be cleaned for another repair, it will not do without the help of professionals.
The next possible cause of this malfunction is the low fuel level in the tank. Under such circumstances, the chainsaw stalls when tilted, since the remainder of the fuel mixture is in the part of the tank opposite to where the suction tube is located.
Husqvarna. It works badly, it stalls. An interesting case
Husqvarna chainsaw repair. It works badly, it stalls. An interesting case.
Why chainsaw stalls when heated
It often happens that a chainsaw starts up cold, but stalls during heating. This behavior of the tool can be caused by the following reasons:
- The carburetor is incorrectly configured. This problem can be identified by how the device starts up to a cold one. If it is done without closing the air damper, and the engine starts without a preliminary flash, this means that after heating the engine, fuel fills the spark plug. The solution to this problem is to adjust the carburetor. Carburettor Adjustment Details
- Malfunction of the coil (ignition module). The chainsaw stalls at idle if the adjustment of the device did not lead. This problem can be detected by sequentially checking the spark first on a cold, and then on a hot motor. If there is no spark on a hot engine, then the ignition coil must be replaced.
- Faulty spark plug. In this situation, as with a malfunction of the ignition module, the spark disappears when the engine is heated. It is necessary to replace the spark plug with a new one, and if this does not lead to a solution of the problem, then the ignition module and the distance between it and the flywheel should be checked.
Why the chainsaw stalls under load
Sometimes a chainsaw is unable to function normally under load. Most often, this is caused by improper adjustment or leaking carburetor. In addition, the cause of this problem may be air leaks through the carburetor gasket or crankshaft oil seals. Why the chainsaw stalls when the Stihl chainsaw does not keep speed and stalls. A tool that is unable to function under load also cannot confidently maintain idle speed.
Diagnostics begins by checking the carburetor and crankcase for leaks. If air leaks are detected through the crankshaft oil seals, their replacement is required. If air leaks are detected in the carburetor, a repair kit for the gaskets is required to solve the problem.
If these actions do not lead to the desired result and the crankcase of the engine with the carburetor is tight, then you need to adjust the carburetor.
If the Husqvarna chainsaw stalls under load, then for any abnormalities in the functioning of the motor, first of all, check the impulse hose, as this is the most common cause of breakage of chainsaws of this brand.
What to do if a chainsaw dies when you press the gas
One of the most common questions regarding the operation of this device: why does the chainsaw stall when you press the gas and what needs to be done to solve this problem? In this situation, you must perform the following steps:
- Check fuel filter;
- Inspect fuel hoses for leaks;
- Check the muffler;
- Try to add a little speed;
- Check the condition of the rubber seals on the crankshaft.
Why the chainsaw is not gaining momentum and stalls
If the saw cannot gain momentum or stalls when you press the gas, then most likely this is caused not by the tightness of the carburetor or the crankcase. This problem is resolved by checking for leaks and adjusting the carburetor.
In addition, this malfunction may be due to a defect in the fuel tank breather. Due to the formation of vacuum in the fuel tank during the operation of the chainsaw, the required volume of the fuel mixture does not enter the engine, as a result of which it cannot gain speed or stall. If you stop the chainsaw, open and close the fuel tank and turn it on again, it will normally work for about five minutes, and then again will cease to gain speed or stall.
Another possible reason that the chainsaw is not able to gain speed may be an excess of soot in the muffler, which makes it difficult to exhaust the exhaust gas, which reduces the power and speed of the motor.
Chainsaw Does Not Hold Idle Cause
What to do if the chainsaw stops at idle
Chainsaws stop at idle: many owners of this tool face this problem. On the device, I saw a fairly simple tool. But there are times when it breaks. The main problem in troubleshooting. Determination of the correct cause of abnormal operation. After determining the cause, the defect is usually quite simple.
Scheme of a chain saw.
Possible reasons for failure
The power unit of all chain saws is single-cylinder. For devices of this type, malfunctions such as a violation in the compression of the cylinder, a change in the ratio of the fuel mixture, improper operation of the ignition, poor-quality fuel and lubricants are characteristic. The main problems in the operation of the power unit are:
- The engine remains at minimum speed, but stops;
- Start up is normal, and idle is unstable, stops quickly;
- Does not start.
Chainsaw electronic ignition circuit.
Unplanned idling can be caused by various reasons. They can be divided into several positions:
- Reduced filter capacity (gasoline and air);
- Non-standard operation of the ignition system:
- Spontaneously changed the carb settings;
- Malfunction of gas pipeline components;
- Exhaust pipes, silencer;
- Defects of the piston, cylinder, valves.
Repair should begin with an external inspection and check for fuel in the tank.
Check and repair filters
The engine may run intermittently or run off with insufficient fuel or air. The reasons are a clogged air or fuel filter. To check the fuel filter, it is necessary to remove the gasoline pipe hose from the carburetor nozzle and send it to any container. Then press several times to replace the fuel. If the fuel is pumped normally, clearly expressed doses, without dirt, then the fuel filter works. If the stream is weak or the fuel is not pumped at all. The filter should be replaced or, if possible, cleaned.
A clogged sawdust fuel filter is one of the reasons for a chainsaw breakdown.
The device must be removed from the fuel tank (first dropping all fuel from it). In most models, the fuel filter can be pulled out of the wire with a hook through the neck. If the design of the filter is collapsible and allows its cleaning, it must be disassembled and washed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Otherwise, replace the new filter.
Similar problems can occur when the air filter becomes clogged with dust, sawdust and dirt. With insufficient air, the fuel mixture will be enriched, the process of burning fuel is difficult.
To check, remove the filter. When working, you must take precautions to prevent dust from entering the carburetor. The device must be cleaned and rinsed in warm water with the addition of detergent. After drying, if possible, blow low pressure compressed air in place. If the chainsaw is working properly, the cause is eliminated, if not. You need to look further.
With constant use of the tool, it is recommended to replace the fuel and air filters after 3 months.
What to do if the chainsaw does not keep idle?
In this you will find out one of the failures in which the chainsaw does not work at low speeds and start
Stihl MS 180 chainsaw speed problems
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw has some nuances that make owners nervous, and is wasted on expensive
Checking the spark plug and ignition system
In accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations, the spark plug should be changed annually regardless of the intensity of the tool. Failure to comply with these tips leads to a completely natural result: failure at idle, subsequent failure.
Typical defects in the ignition system are:
- During the start, the candle was filled with fuel. It must be removed from the socket in order to dry it, if possible, for purging with compressed air. Drain the remaining fuel from the cylinder through the installation hole and blow it with compressed air. Then install the spark plug, connect the high voltage wire, start.
- There is no spark on the electrodes of the spark plug. It is necessary to disconnect the high-voltage wire and check for a spark. If the spark is normal, check the connection, the detected defects are eliminated. The absence of spark on the high-voltage wire indicates a malfunction of the ignition unit. This device cannot be repaired; you must change it to a new one.
- The gap between the electrodes of the spark plug is broken. This parameter for different types of devices can range from 0.2 to 0.5 mm. Inspection and adjustment must be carried out with a special probe or caliper. The required value can be found in the tool manual.
- By the appearance of the candle you can determine the direction of the search. If the spark plug is dry after several attempts to start the engine, the cylinder does not receive gasoline. It is necessary to check the carburetor.
- The presence of soot or soot on the electrodes indicates an incorrect carburetor setting or an air filter clogging. Possibly low quality, high oil fuels are used. During normal operation of the ignition system, the electrodes have a uniform gray color and a brown coating on the insulators.
Carburetor Inspection and Repair
The principle of a carburetor chainsaw.
If checking the ignition system, fuel filters, mufflers did not give tangible results, the device still does not want to work normally at minimum speed, it is necessary to check the carburetor.
To set the operating modes on the device’s case, three screws are used to set the minimum speed, maximum speed and idle speed.
On many models, manufacturers install only the speed adjusting screw to avoid incompetent attempts to configure the device. In all versions of the device, the adjustment should be carried out in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturers.
If the device setup does not lead to the restoration of the normal operation of the device, it is necessary to completely disassemble the device with inspection. It should be understood that the carburetor is a rather complex device, in the absence of experience it is advisable to consult a specialist.
When disassembling, it is important to carefully check and flush all jets, air and fuel channels, and the filter screen. Damaged items must be replaced with new ones. The jets should be cleaned with soft wire of the appropriate diameter.
It is advisable to carry out work in appropriate conditions. The carburetor contains many small parts, the loss of any of them will make the device inoperative.
Check and repair the muffler
Clogged silencers should be left to soak in warm water with a detergent, then wipe and dry thoroughly.
A muffler malfunction leads to a decrease in the power of the tool during operation and stop at idle. Despite the apparent simplicity of this part, it is important to keep an eye on it. Quite often, the muffler is jammed. At work, you can get on trellised wood dust, sawdust, resin particles. High temperature contributes to their adhesion and accumulation, exhaust gases also form deposits on the surfaces of the spark arrester and other parts. An increase in bed time reduces the power of the silencer and prevents the normal exhaust gas removal. The engine, figuratively speaking, is suffocating.
Repairing this unit is not difficult, it is quite possible for many tool owners. The device must be removed from the engine, holes covered with rags or other material. If the formed layer is too hard, all parts can be left to soak in warm water with detergent. After plaque softening, the parts should be washed with a rag or soft brush, thoroughly wiped. Inaccessible places can be purged with compressed air or dried with a hairdryer. The use of mechanical means of removal is undesirable.
For normal operation of the muffler over a long period of use, use lubricants recommended by the manufacturer, observing their expiration dates. The mixture should be prepared immediately before work and completely absorbed.
Conclusion on the topic
Chainsaws, like most tools, require timely maintenance and care.
Failure to comply with this rule leads to the loss of a tool, material costs, loss of precious working time at the most inopportune moments.
Why does the engine not keep revs?
The situation when the engine speed begins to “float” in most cases is typical for cars with electronic fuel injection. The problem is air intake. The fact is that the electronic injector control unit calculates the amount of air entering the cylinders, guided by the indicators installed on the car sensors. The throttle position sensor indicates that more air is flowing than necessary, while the temperature sensor indicates that the flow of fuel to the cylinders needs to be reduced. The on-board computer as a result of such conflicting data begins to decrease, then increase idle speed. The power system ceases to automatically adjust and fails. In carburetor engines, the appearance of the problem of “floating” revolutions is associated with incorrect adjustment of the servomotor or thrust of the throttle actuator.
As a rule, similar problems arise when the owner of a car with a carburetor engine begins to independently adjust the carburetor without first studying the materiel. The driver starts to turn all the carburetor screws in random order, does not notice the visible effect of his manipulations, then forgets to return the screws to their original position. And, as a result. Uneven engine speeds, increased fuel consumption, and other malfunctions. On diesel engines, this problem occurs not only in the idle speed range, but also at speeds around 1000-1500. Here the solution is a bit simpler. On diesels, the problem is the fuel pump.
The fact is that under the influence of water that somehow gets into diesel fuel, the moving pump blades begin to seize. Such a problem, as a rule, is detected after prolonged downtime of the machine. Experienced motorists use this method: before a long parking, add a liter of engine oil to the fuel tank and drive such a mixture. Smoke in this case increases, however, a thin oil film forms on all parts of the fuel pump, which protects them from corrosion. Also indirect causes of uneven operation when the engine does not maintain speed can be: malfunctions in the ignition system, poor fuel quality, contamination of fuel injectors, as well as incorrect settings of the on-board computer.