DIY body for a walk-behind tractor
We make a trailer for a walk-behind tractor: 4 do-it-yourself manufacturing options
The material and design of the frame of a homemade trailer
The frame serves as the main supporting structure. It is necessary to calculate all dimensions and constituent elements according to the drawing, with high accuracy, with the exception of any inaccuracies arising from sawing, joining channels, pipes and corners.
A simple, lightweight, sturdy frame made of 60 x 30 mm rectangular tube. It will form the supporting structure. The role of the traverse will be performed by steel squares measuring 25 x 25 mm. For reliability, all elements are welded together and reinforced with several diameters, leaving protrusions above the side members. For racks, a pair of pipes are welded longitudinally to the front of the outlets on both sides of the structure. The upper straps of pipes with a cross section of 25 mm are welded to the posts.
The material of the supporting frame is selected according to characteristics capable of providing the conditions for strength and rigidity, to prevent deformation of the structure under the maximum permissible load. The frame for a home-made trailer for a light-type walk-behind tractor is made of any available material: a metal corner, a steel pipe with a rectangular, circular section.
A medium-power walk-behind tractor trailer is carried out on a frame, using the following elements:
- brace 20×20.
- corner 20×20 for the driver’s seat
- uprights for the seat from the corner 40×40.
- front struts made of 40×20 pipe.
- frame strapping profile from corner 40×40.
- corner 32×32 for wheel axle strut.
- back braces from a pipe 40×20.
- transverse amplifier from corner 40 × 40.
- axial rod 30 mm.
- solid triangle.
The intricate design of the frame will provide an excess margin of safety and will allow you to transport heavy, bulky goods and materials in the body. It is worth making a frame of a reinforced structure in the case of frequent off-road use of a loaded trailer. Welding machine. It will be needed to firmly connect all parts. Self-tapping screws in this case will not be able to give the structure strength and durability.
Manufacturing and assembly of the undercarriage of a homemade trailer
To make a carrier you need:
- Overlays 25×4.
- Flanges size S 4.
- Supports from pipes 58×4.
- Corners 25x25x4 for a foot stand.
- Drawbar pipe.
1962 Simplicity Walk Behind Tractor Model W in Action…
The carrier of a simple design consists of a minimum number of elements welded according to the scheme. The most loaded parts. the drawbar and the turn signal, are reinforced with stiffeners. The carrier engages with the frame of the walk-behind tractor in a hinged way. The constructive model “pipe in pipe” forms a kind of long hinge and allows the wheelbase of the trailer to change its position independently, regardless of the wheelbase of the walk-behind tractor. This solution protects the trailer structure from deformation and makes it easy to overcome pits or bumps.
The carrier is attached to the center tube with bolts, locknuts and studs. An elongated hole is grinded in the central pipe so that the fixing bolt rotates along the axis of the link without longitudinal displacement.
The wheelbase is constructed from parts of any domestic cars, wheels, springs, and hinges are selected. Parts and elements are welded to the beam, and the ends are attached to the spar.
The drawbar is made of a 60×30 mm pipe welded to the front parts of the side members. The edges of the beams are docked and welded to the traction mechanical coupler. It turns out an analogue of the factory two-beam drawbar.
1940s Homemade Walk Behind Tractor 1927, 1932 Chevrolet Model T Ford Briggs & Stratton B
Preliminary drawings of the motoblock trailer
Trailer bodies are usually made of galvanized, painted steel sheets or durable plastic. Metal sides and a metal bottom will last longer than plastic ones, but the second option will be cheaper at cost.
Having decided on the material for the trailer, start drawing up drawings or technical diagrams for the supporting elements:
- connecting frame,
- working body.
The skill of a mechanical constructor is optional, it is enough to schematically depict a sketch of a future carriage.
Why is the preliminary stage necessary? In the figure, the model visually appears, complex sections are visible, dimensions are specified, connecting nodal elements and their possible connection or connection are drawn. Drawing example:
Electric walk behind Tractor movie.
The drawing shows the method of coupling the bearing running elements. The carrier is coupled to the walk-behind tractor module by a turning unit and a cantilever element, the second edge of the carrier is attached to the frame using a central pipe. Attachment to the walk-behind tractor is made through consoles and dumbass. An axial rod is made according to the size of the coupling mechanism of the walk-behind tractor. The upper axial end acts as a support, the carrier pivot assembly rotates around it on bearings. The ball bearings are covered with an anti-dust cover, the voids are filled with a special lubricant.
An experienced craftsman will not be hampered by the selection of parts, elements, tools and spare parts in accordance with the drawn up drawing. For the simplest version of the trolley, the following spare parts are required:
- Wheels. Most often, they take wheels from motorized carriages or from cars. They are bought hand-held or purchased for disassembly. The size and strength of the rim corresponds to a load of 300 kg t more.
- Wheel axle. It is made of a steel rod with a diameter of at least 30mm. The length of the rod is calculated independently, based on the width of the body. The optimal size of the bar does not allow the protrusion of the trailer wheels beyond the body contour.
- Thrust ring. A 58 x 4 tube is suitable for these purposes.
- Bolts M 8.
- Support beam. 3 pcs.
- Box boards.
- Frame for coupling with a walk-behind tractor.
- Driver’s seat made of scrap material.
- The simplest carrier.
- Console made of trim pipe.
- Brackets by size.
- Characteristics and cost of industrial trailers for motoblocks
- Preliminary drawings of the motoblock trailer
- Manufacturing and assembly of the undercarriage of a homemade trailer
- The material and design of the frame of a homemade trailer
- What can be used to make a frame for a trailer trolley
- Medium walk-behind tractors. Self-made trailers made of rolled metal. Step-by-step assembly instructions
- Heavy walk-behind tractor. How to make a trailer from car parts
We make a trailer for a walk-behind tractor: 4 do-it-yourself manufacturing options
The need for a trailer for a walk-behind tractor in a home farm is difficult to overestimate. It can be useful for many things: transporting seedlings and harvested crops, as well as the necessary tools and even garbage. Having spent just a few days making a trailer for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands, you can greatly facilitate your work in the future.
If you want to try to assemble a trailer for a walk-behind tractor on your own, do not forget about 3 stages:
- . Layout.
- . Assembly.
- . Finishing.
The first stage in creating a trailer is drawing a drawing of the future device.
It is very important to make several drawings that will display the device from different angles.!
Advice! Make several leaders, on which the nodes of the connections will be drawn in close-up, as well as all the dimensions of the structure.
To create a trailer you will need:
- One or two axle beams. They must be metallic. A welding machine is required to create a reliable support structure.
- Wheels. New wheels for the trailer or already used copies from the Zhiguli.
- Planks or metal sheets that will become the base and sides.
- Paint and paint fixer.
- Sander for processing wood or metal.
- Thrust ring.
- Clutch frame.
Also, do not forget about bolts, nuts and other elements for connecting parts.
There are several main stages of creating a trailer:
- Assembling the base from several metal pipes. This requires the use of a welding machine. All joints must be well processed, otherwise it will not work to create a reliable device.
- The second stage is the assembly of the box. For this, you can use wood or metal sheets. The latter are more reliable, but more difficult to work with. It is much easier to use wooden blocks, however, over several years of operation they can become unusable.
- Installation of the body on the frame. Use a spring to soften cornering.
- Installing the hubs on the axle tube and connecting the wheels. Remember to bolt them securely.
- Attachment of an axle wheel or a stop for convenient movement of the trailer.
Homemade trailers need to be painted at the final stage. Special fasteners prevent moisture from entering boards or metal sheets. This will preserve the attractive appearance of the device for a long time and increase its service life.
Advantages of homemade and purchased trailers
You will have to spend a lot of time and effort on a homemade option. But, he also has a number of advantages:
- in the presence of the necessary materials, such a trailer does not require large investments;
- for homemade equipment, you can set the dimensions and parameters that are most suitable for the user;
- the owner of the walk-behind tractor himself selects parts for the trailer, which means you can be sure of the quality of components, connections and the unit as a whole.
- The trailer is made clearly for a specific model of equipment, which makes working with it as simple and efficient as possible.
How to make a frame
The frame is the most important component of any trailer. It bears the main load during operation, which means that it must have increased strength and stability.
The materials required for the frame must be solid and rigid. At the same time, the maximum possible lightness of the device should be preserved. Another important characteristic is resistance to deformation.
The type of material also depends on the type of walk-behind tractor. Almost any scrap metal is suitable for a frame on a light walk-behind tractor: pipes with any type of section, corners, thick channel.
The simplest trailer of this type is made on the basis of a solid pipe with a square section (60 mm by 30 mm). A traverse is attached to such a supporting beam. For her, two steel squares with a crossbar of 25 mm are suitable. Two transverse pipes are attached as racks from different sides. This will be the future of the rack. It is best to attach them to the outlets. Pipes are welded onto these racks, which play the role of strapping. A section of 25 mm is sufficient here. Next are the corner supports.
All parts are tightly welded together. Bolted or riveted connections will not work here. If they can withstand the load, then they will not last long. Robustly welded components help you carry significantly more weight.
With trailers for mid-range models, things are a little more complicated. Here the materials are already more specific:
- Spacers for the front can be made from 40 mm by 20 mm pipe.
- Brace, the dimensions of which are 20 by 20.
- For front axle struts, a corner with dimensions of 32 mm by 32 mm is suitable.
- A special reinforcement is placed across the frame from a corner of 40 mm.
- For the back braces, a piece of pipe 40 mm by 20 mm is suitable.
- Shaft rod, 30 mm thick.
- Several pieces of corners measuring 20 by 20, and 40 by 40 for installing the driver’s seat.
This frame is a reinforced version of the lightweight. Its more sophisticated design allows for more trailer loading and off-road use. The connection diagram here is the same as for the light frame, but an amplifier is still welded at the bottom and braces are added. The selected dimensions of the elements bring the best indicators of strength when joining.
Where to begin?
The first step in creating a trailer for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands will be the development of a drawing. He will help you choose the right quality materials, determine their size, make a clear plan of action, think over funny moments in advance.
The process must be taken as seriously as possible. In the drawing, the trailer is drawn from different sides, the dimensions of the parts are signed next to each of them. It is advisable that when creating a drawing, the proportions are clearly maintained. Separate more complex nodes, you need to draw individually close-ups and also from different sides.
When working on a drawing, it is important to think through the following points:
- it is necessary to foresee in advance what parts and assemblies need to be interconnected, and what type of connection will be used in this case. Prepare the required number of rivets, bolts or a welding machine in advance;
- it was decided to make a dump trailer (with automatic tipping) or a conventional one with manual unloading;
- what scheme to use in rotary nodes. It can be a bearing, axle, bushing. They will also need to be prepared in advance.
After the drawing is drawn in detail, you need to study it again and think over the key points. After that, you can already make the purchase of materials. In order to save money, it is better to first carefully review your stock of metal and wood structures. Perhaps something can be used in work.
How and what to make a trailer for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands
The walk-behind tractor is a multifunctional agricultural machinery. But, it owes its functionality, to a large extent, to the additional attachments that are used with it. An example of such equipment is a trailer for a walk-behind tractor. With its help, you can conveniently transport garbage, building materials, fertilizers, seedlings, products from fields and gardens.
In this publication we will figure out how to make a trailer for a walk-behind tractor with our own hands.
- Advantages of homemade and purchased trailers
- Where to begin?
- DIY trailer for walk-behind tractor
- Materials and stages of assembly of the future device
- How to make a frame
Materials and stages of assembly of the future device
First of all, you need to decide on the main parts of our cart. The first thing that is included here is a frame, complete with a linkage for the mechanized part. Without fail, you need a frame and, directly, the body itself. All this is installed on an axle with wheels (if desired, on two). Well, and finally, in the front part, the driver’s seat is placed above the traction.
DIY trailer for walk-behind tractor
It is not difficult to make a body. Here the most diverse materials are selected. You can use a board, steel sheets, if desired, a complex option is also suitable.
It is better to make the base of the body from metal. Several sheets of metal are selected that will correspond to the drawings. Then the base is welded. The sides are exposed at the edges, while being welded or mounted on the bolts at the bottom and at the corners. In order to strengthen such sides in the corners, you can weld the corners. You can also strengthen the bottom of the trailer. To do this, another additional layer is screwed or welded to it.
It is important to consider here whether the trailer will be tipper. If not, then the sides can be made folding by attaching them to the bottom on a movable joint, and a clutch mechanism can be made at the corners. The body is attached to the frame by three metal beams and fixed with bolts.
The very design of the trailed part of the walk-behind tractor is not particularly difficult, but the undercarriage is a completely different matter. It is based on a beam, at the ends of which the hubs are located. The channel is welded together so that a square is obtained. The weld is made solid for structural strength. The hubs are welded onto the lower part of the square (beam), the wheels for the trailer are put on the walk-behind tractor and their parallelism is checked. If the condition is met, then the structure is welded correctly.
The beam and the frame of the trailer are connected by means of springs installed in special brackets on the frame, previously provided in the diagram. The entire structure of the assembled trailer is checked for stability, it must not tip over.
Advice. In order for the transport to serve for a long time and not break down, its maintenance should be periodically performed, which consists in daily cleaning after work and lubrication of the connections.
In addition to the main driver’s seat, a simple folding bench is installed, which is attached to the front side of the body and rests on the side ones. Some trailers for a walk-behind tractor are additionally equipped with a spare wheel. It can be positioned on the side board or at the bottom of the trailer on the metal bottom using special fasteners.
Near the driver’s seat, for the convenience of storing small tools that may be needed on the road and during repairs, small homemade metal boxes or special bags are fixed.
Trailer drawings for walk-behind tractor
The carrier includes several parts connected by welding. The main load here is taken by the joint of the drawbar with the body of the swivel unit, therefore this place is reinforced with 4 stiffeners.
Do-it-yourself trailer for a walk-behind tractor from scrap materials
Required tools and materials
For the high-quality performance of work on assembling the trailer, prepare the following tool:
- welding machine;
- a grinder for cutting material with a set of cutting wheels;
- tape measure and ruler, protractor and square;
- marking tools (chalk, ink, marker);
- percussion tool (hammer), chisel and pliers;
- yew for fastening parts, clamps and clamps;
- an electric drill with a set of drills of various diameters for metal work;
- equipment for installing rivets in the trailer body.
For the manufacture of the trailer frame, a square or rectangular metal profile, a steel pipe of a small diameter, corners, and a channel are used. The pallet of the trailer is a steel sheet with a thickness of up to 2 mm. Bolts, nuts and rivets are used to connect parts of the structure. Springs and a beam for attaching the wheelset are added to the trailer. Car wheels from “Moskvich” or “Zhiguli” are well suited as wheels.
It is made from a square tube that is cut into separate sections. Pipe sections are welded together, forming a frame with crossbars. Every corner is carefully measured. After the frame is ready, it is boiled again around the perimeter. The finished product is primed and painted with paint and varnish material.
The trailer should not be overloaded, otherwise it will quickly become unusable. The service life of the entire structure depends on the quality of the frame element. Therefore, before starting work, it is necessary to determine what maximum load the hitch will carry and for what purposes it will be used.
There are three main trailer models:
- Light. Designed for a load of no more than 70 kg. This is usually a lightweight trolley with one axle on which the driver’s seat is mounted. A trailer for transporting goods is welded to the axle.
- Universal. It can transport small loads already up to 120 kg over rough terrain. For greater strength, an I-beam is used as a material for the manufacture of the frame.
- Heavy. In these instances, a metal profile and elements of an automobile chassis on a rubber track are used. Heavy trailer options are more reliable and durable, although slightly more expensive than other designs.
Some craftsmen make a dump trailer for a walk-behind tractor. In work, it resembles the body of a cargo dump truck, but in order to make such a structure with your own hands, you need to clearly adhere to all dimensions of the drawing. There are no standard sizes for a trailer, the main thing is that it is not too wide and that it maneuvers comfortably, moving behind the walk-behind tractor.
Do I need a license for a walk-behind tractor with a trailer
There are many ancillary works in which walk-behind tractors are used. And to date, nowhere in official documents is it spelled out that managing walk-behind tractors requires rights. According to the legislation, walk-behind tractors do not belong to vehicles that, on an equal basis with other categories, participate in road traffic. Therefore, you can safely go to fields and country roads that are not controlled by the traffic police.
When traveling on public roads, it must be borne in mind that this transport is not allowed to move on them. This should be clearly stated in the data sheet for the walk-behind tractor. However, there are times when such road sections have to be crossed. If you get to the control car of the traffic police, you can get quite unpleasant consequences. The inspector can check any equipment on the public road, and has the right to issue a fine for such driving, because the walk-behind tractor belongs to equipment, even for cultivating the land.
Also, the driver of the walk-behind tractor must know the rules of the road, even in the absence of a driving license. Therefore, the traffic inspector has the right to demand at least one open category for the use of a vehicle in order to make sure that you know the basics of road traffic, but this only applies to public roads.
It turns out that the rights to the walk-behind tractor are not needed, at the same time, a document is needed that will confirm the knowledge of the rules of behavior and traffic on the road.
Advice. So that there are no problems with the traffic inspector, the owner of the walk-behind tractor must know the rules of the road, have at least an open category A and do not forget the certificate if it is necessary to go out on the road.
Drivers of home-made motoblocks from trailers are not at all recommended to go out onto the roads so as not to be caught by the traffic police. Otherwise, it faces a large fine.
It is not very difficult to design a trailer for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands according to drawings and dimensions. The main thing is to have the desire and be able to handle the instrument. On our website, you can select a scheme and view photos taken by the owners of the trailers. Having such an assistant in the household, the work can be done several times faster and get great pleasure from it.
Homemade trailer to the walk-behind tractor video selection
Also, we present a video that shows how to make a trailer for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands on the experience of people who have coped with this matter.