Grass trimmer reel how to change the line for a trimmer. The solution to possible line problems
Never Wind Weed Wacker Line Again. String Trimmer Line Loading Miracle
Learning how to properly wind the line for the trimmer on the spool grass trimmer and lawn mower installation instructions
Owners of private homes know how necessary is such a type of tool as a grass trimmer. It can be petrol and electric, and they differ in the design of power units. To cut the grass in areas where there are rocks, trees and other obstructing objects, a line for the trimmer is used as a cutting device. This consumable material wears out in the process of use, so how to wind the grass trimmer spool, we will consider in detail in the material.
The fishing line is called the consumable material, which consists of nylon, and serves as a cutting device. Through this equipment is mowed grass, which is ensured by the rotation of the head of the tool at high frequency. This material has different thickness, which depends on its application on the respective tools electric low-power (1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 watts (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline grass trimmers with brush cutters (2.4 to 3.2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment must be. It affects not only the quality of mowing the grass, but also on the service life of the material. If you’re wondering how to wind the grass trimmer reel, it’s time to change your tool. With the advent of spring, this issue is becoming more and more in demand, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the grass trimmer reel.
First of all, winding the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and spool at the bottom usually have side keys on either side of the reel. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the reel with the internal content for winding the fishing line comes off, while the lower part stays on the trimmer. It is desirable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and lose;
- electric and petrol grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a bobbin with a special wing nut: in such designs you should hold the bobbin in a stationary position with one hand, and with the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the boom wing nut. After loosening the nut the entire spool can be removed.
- electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the bobbin, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow rotation is used to achieve a mutual arrangement where the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is secured. After that, the spool body is turned clockwise (with the left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, depending on the design, spools are disassembled in different ways. Reels with winglets unscrew the winglet, reels with cleats press the ratchet catch and one part of the reel is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
AutoCut mowing head
Double-strung model designed for mowing and clearing areas. Four-strand version suitable for trimming around obstacles (stairs, walls, thresholds, curbs) and for large areas. It differs from the previous design by the automatic adjustment of the cutting strings length. directly during operation. To feed the line reserve, touch the lower edge of the mowing head to the ground. This will loosen the cord retainer and the cord will retract due to centrifugal force.
Changing the line for the trimmer on the disk
To change a line on the brushcutter blade, proceed as follows
- Remove the blade guard from the boom;
- We block the drive shaft trimmer for grass by passing a screwdriver through the hole in the gearbox bowl to the hole in the hub of the shaft;
- Unscrew and remove from the hub of the drive shaft trimmer for grass trimmer spool with a fishing line;
- We install the cutting disk on the shaft, combining the slits on the hub washer with notches in the mounting hole of the disk;
- Re-engage the drive shaft of the grass trimmer and screw the attachment nut. It is advisable to tighten the nut with a pipe wrench, but not to overdo it;
- Put the blade guard back on.
That’s it, the lawnmower is ready for cutting disc.
Important! Always change the cutting attachments safely and carefully. You must always read the instruction manual and follow all the rules. This provides a guarantee of productive, reliable and safe operation of the grass trimmer.
Removing and Disassembling the Reel
The trimmer head consists of a shroud, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, and a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the reel of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer. How to disassemble depends on how the mowing head is mounted. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the housing. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- After removing the bobbin you will see a screw in the center of the housing. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the reducer from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to lock the shaft. For this purpose, these devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver in the hole in the trimmer head and fix the shaft in place.
- Grasp the head body and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, t. к. The thread on the shaft is left-hand.
Choose fishing line for the trimmer
The line for the trimmer must be strong, rigid, and flexible. in a trimmer it serves as a working tool for cutting the grass. Filaments of different thickness from 1,2 mm to 4,0 mm are available. Most models are designed for a maximum thread thickness of 3 mm. Which diameter of line for the grass trimmer is suitable in any case depends on a number of factors.
Depending on the hardness of the mowed vegetation:
It is important to consider that too thin thread accelerates wear of the motor, too rough. will accelerate its overheating and premature failure.
The cord structure of the fishing line is important:
- The round one is the universal one, the strongest, for coarse grass;
- shaped. for soft plants;
- Twisted with notches. for thin, long stems.
Important! Choose lines for your trimmer in the style and specifications recommended by the brushcutter manufacturer. Such material will work long and well with optimal loads on the motor of the product.
How to remove a line for your trimmer
To replace the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, remove the head cap. To do this, press the latches on both sides of the cover with your fingers and pull the cover upward. This will reveal access to the spool. Then pull it out by pulling up on the axis on which the spool sits. If the ends of the fishing line are sticking out of the holes in the head, lift the spool along its axis and pull the rest of the line out of the holes in the head. The part now holds nothing and it’s easy to remove and remove the remaining working thread.
Reel is divided into two parts by a central partition with a cutout. The parts vary in size from one model to another, so you should check how much line you can wind on the reel. Its length varies between 1m and 4m.
Algorithm of line winding
The order of filament winding depends on the type of spool. with one or two tendrils, as well as with automatic filament charging.
on single mast spool
It is very easy to wind the line for the trimmer on a spool with a single bar. Depending on the brand of grass trimmer, these constructions hold from two to five meters of filament. The edge of the line in the bobbin should be tucked into a special hole or groove, then the string is wound in the opposite direction to the rotation of the spool during work.
Advice! To figure out which way to wind the line, you should look at the body of the bobbin. there are usually marks on it indicating the direction of the bobbin’s movement when working.
After a line for a trimmer is coiled, it is necessary to leave a small piece (15-30 cm), to put it through an exit hole of a bobbin and to assemble a head anew.
On a spool with two whiskers
In this type of bobbins you need to inspect the inside of the spool and determine the number of grooves for winding the cord provided in it.
Important! If the spool has one groove, both tendrils must be wound in a common groove, if two. then in separate tracks.
To wind it, you need to take a piece of fishing line two to three meters long. For spools with one groove, you must tuck the line for the trimmer into the through hole, align the whiskers, align and wind it on the spool in the opposite direction of its rotation when working. If you have locking grooves, you must thread the ends of the cords into them, then pull them out into the exit hole, then close the bobbin and put them back in place.
For twin spools, the difference is that the piece of line must be folded in half. Next, you need to charge the middle of the bend into the groove between the grooves, and then wind each of the pieces of fishing line on its track, fix the tendrils and reassemble the bobbin in the same way as the bobbin with one track.
Black N Decker Weedwhacker Common Problems and Fixes
On a trimmer head with automatic threading
For heads with automatic threading, it is enough just to start and clamp the edges of the fishing line, and further winding the tool will perform independently when turning on. It is impossible to make a mistake here, because the coil itself recognizes how the tendrils should be positioned.
For your information! The advantages of trimmers with such a head include the convenience of filament laying, and the disadvantages are expensive and difficult to repair.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind a line for a trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations, which will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for veteran spearfishers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and malfunctioning of the mechanism. The recommendations are as follows:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks. It is 2 or more clicks depending on the number of locking bolts. If one catch does not click into place, when you start the tool, the reel may jump out and injure a person
- Do not wind up the line for the trimmer with a strong retraction, as well as in an amount greater than can be inserted in its place. It is better not to reel in more fishing line than you can reel it in, because this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it when necessary
- If you own the tool not with two lines, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the spool
- After changing the material you should first check that the tool functions correctly and only then start mowing. If you don’t do a preliminary check, the scaffolding can unravel and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the right quality material to avoid injury when working with chain saws, trimmers and brushcutters. When mowing grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances, so, despite the fact that the line for trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Regular nylon materials last less, which is important to keep in mind when working. Do not attempt to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or blades are available for this purpose.