How To Adjust The Plow On A Tiller
Let’s sum up
It is very important to know how to set up the plow on the tiller, which will allow you to carry out all the required work correctly. Correct adjustment is the key to the quality of the process. After finishing work, do not forget to clean the mechanism, detach the plow from the tiller and fold it down until next time.
How to plow with a plow tiller and description
- Tiller potatoes, instructions,
Correct and fast tillage with a tiller (plowing with a tiller)
Before we begin to figure out how to plow with a tiller with a plow, it is necessary to prepare the tiller itself for plowing the soil:
- 1. First, move (roll) the tiller to a level place on your site.
- 2. Prepare soil hooks and replacement axles.
- 3. Replace the wheels with tires on the trailer with wheels with soil lugs, which are installed on replacement (extended) axles.
How to adjust the plow on the tiller
Instructions: how to plow with a tiller with a plow
Now that the tiller is ready to plow the soil, the ground hooks are in place, we proceed to installing the mounted plow on the tiller:
We fasten the plow with the coupling device, while the fastening nuts are not fully tightened so that you can subsequently adjust the plow.
We fasten the hitch to the plow and the tiller’s fastening eyelet with two pins.
That’s it, the plow is installed on the tiller and now you can proceed to adjusting it (photo).
Unlike preparing the tiller and installing the plow, the plow adjustment is a little more complicated and must be done with high quality, since if the plow is incorrectly adjusted, plowing the land will take you a lot of time and energy, and, unfortunately, the quality of plowing will leave much to be desired.
Setting and adjusting the plow on the tiller
Do you need to prepare for sowing work or start preparing your summer cottage for the winter? In this case, your own tiller or motor-cultivator, which can perfectly plow the land, will become an indispensable assistant. The most important thing in this case is setting and adjusting the plow on the tiller. Our tips will help you do it quickly and correctly.
Tiller plow adjustment
- 1. First, put the stands under the tiller, which should be specially prepared for this (photo 2).
- We put the tiller’s ground hooks on the stands, and put the same stand also under the tiller’s support leg so that it does not tilt towards the plow, that is, you need to balance the tiller standing on the stands with the plow.
- 2. The height of the supports for ground hooks is determined by the depth of plowing the soil you plan: if plowing before winter, then the height of the supports should be up to 20-25 cm, if you are going to plow in spring, then the height of the supports is smaller 10-20 cm.
- 3. After the tiller is balanced, use the adjusting bolts to tilt the plow body so that its heel is parallel to the ground (photo 3).
- Photo 4 shows a correctly adjusted plow with a heel parallel to the ground.
- 4. Next, remove the tiller from the stands, set the carrier so that the control handles are at the level of the belt. This position of the tiller carrier during operation does not load the hands and they do not get tired for a long time during operation. When all the plow adjustment operations have been completed, you can start plowing.
Before starting the main plowing of the soil with a tiller, carry out a test plowing and assess whether the plow is correctly adjusted, what is the quality of the soil dumping and what is the depth of the furrow.
The ridge of the next furrow should lie close to the ridge of the previous furrow, that is, there should not be more than 10 cm between them (ridges). Also, the next furrow should not lie on the previous furrow with a bulk of soil. To do this, the right wheel of the tiller needs to go not along the base of the previous furrow, but in the middle of its dump (the previous furrow) (photo 6).
Plowing a plot
Setting up the plow on the tiller is very important, so before work it is necessary to carry out a test plowing, which will make it possible to evaluate the regulation. This process includes the following stages:
Assessment of furrow depth and blade quality
In-furrow plowing assessment
Assessment of motoblock load
Hand load assessment.
Only after a full check can the main work begin. If at least one factor does not meet the requirements, then the mechanism will need to be re-adjusted. The plowing process itself consists of the following processes:
For final plowing, set up a mini tractor at the edge of the field where you plan to make a furrow.
Place the steering wheel parallel to the ground. Do not put too much pressure on the steering wheel and push the tiller when working, he will do everything himself. The main thing is not to stop keeping the steering wheel parallel to the soil so that the mechanism does not sink into the soil or rise up
When you have finished making the initial furrow, check its depth from the bottom of the furrow to the ridge. If the plowing depth is between 15 and 18 cm, then the main process can be started.
How to properly plow a plow on a tiller, recommendations
Tillers make manual work easier for many owners of personal plots and vegetable gardens. tiller, if used correctly, will become an irreplaceable assistant in your household. But not everyone knows how to properly plow with a plow on a tiller.
Rather, they do not know how to properly prepare a tiller and a plow for plowing and cultivating the land. Oh, it’s not so difficult. Explore our recommendations and you will succeed.
First of all, depending on the size of the cultivated area, you need to choose a suitable tiller and a plowing tool. All tillers are divided into three types:
- 1. Light tillers or motor cultivators with a weight usually not exceeding fifty kilograms. The power of the motor cultivator is from three to five horsepower. Designed for cultivating the land with a cultivator or cutter. The area of the cultivated area is up to six acres.
- 2. Medium Tillers with a capacity of up to twelve horsepower and weighing up to one hundred kilograms. Plots up to twenty acres are processed using a cultivator or a light plow.
- 3. Heavy tillers with a capacity of up to thirty horsepower and a cultivation area of up to two hectares, usually with a mounted plow.
Now that we have decided on the tiller, we will learn how to plow with the tiller correctly. Small areas are best cultivated with a cultivator or cutter. The scope of delivery for light and medium tillers includes cutters.
The technology of plowing the soil with their help is simple. It’s just that the tiller is placed on the edge of the section, an overdrive is turned on and, holding it, we follow him, turning 180 degrees at the opposite end of the section.
Plowing over a large area is quite another matter. Correct plow adjustment is very important here. Suppose it is done correctly.
Then, at low speed, a control pass is made from one to the other edge of the section, on which we unfold the tiller and perform the reverse pass. At the same time, we put the tiller with the right wheel in the middle of the furrow, which remained from the first pass. We closely observe the plow. Taking into account the tiller tilt, the plow should be perpendicular to the ground plane. If not, then adjust the plow again.
Then a second pass is made and the depth of the furrow is estimated. If the depth is too deep or too shallow, then adjust the plow. As a rule, when plowing with a plow, the depth of the furrows in should be within 15-20 centimeters.
As you become more plowed and your furrows are level, you can increase the speed of the tiller. Then the plow will roll off the soil more strongly, its surface will be flat, without lumps, and the plowing itself will go faster. This is how they plow with tillers.
The assembly of the plow consists in mounting a coupler on it, which is required for further hanging it on the mechanism. It consists of several stages:
Preparation for the work process of such necessary elements as a hitch. Plow and wrenches
In order for the plowing depth to be optimal, it is necessary to match the hitch hubs with the middle hole of the strut and a fastening bolt is used to connect them
The bolt for attaching the adjusting bolt is installed in the hole in the post located at the top and is fixed with a nut. It is important to ensure that all nuts are not fully secured so that they do not have to be loosened during subsequent work. After installing the hitch, you can proceed to the next operation
The time has come to attach the plow to the Tiller Neva, as shown in the photo. One or more pins are used to connect them, depending on the tiller model. After that, the pins must be fixed with cotter pins.
Depending on the model of the device, its design differs. The main structural elements of the unit:
- Frame. The body and the adjusting wheel are attached to it. Two lanyards are installed on the frame, which change the position of the body in a horizontal and vertical position.
- Housing. This is the main working element of the plow. On it are fixed: a ploughshare (knife), a blade and a field board. The body is height adjustable by moving the rack. The ploughshare is responsible for cutting the soil layer, and the blade is responsible for turning the soil. The field board is a service element for setting up.
- Support wheel. Depending on the set height of the support wheel, the plowing depth also depends.
In addition to the main working and service bodies, plows are equipped with other parts. It depends on the type of device and its purpose.
Preparing the tiller for plowing
Land cultivation is a technological process that requires special preparation of motor vehicles and a plow. First, you need to move the car to the field to be processed. If you are using a lightweight tiller, then it can be transported in the back of a car. Before plowing, you need to carry out daily maintenance of the machine and check its functionality.
For the period of plowing, lugs are installed on the light and middle class tillers instead of wheels. They improve traction and increase the total weight of the vehicle. Before installing the lugs, you need to transport the car to a flat area, substitute a stop under the rear hitch and remove the wheels. If you can replace the hubs on the tiller with longer ones to increase the track, then replace them. After that, the lugs are installed. Note that the tread pattern on the lugs is pointing to one side. Narrowing of the pattern indicates the direction of travel.
After carrying out maintenance and replacing the wheels with lugs, you can start connecting and adjusting the plow.
How to plow with a tiller with a plow
Before starting to plow the area, a test plowing must be carried out, in which the adjustment of the device is checked. Check for what depth your machine is designed. Check the plow while driving on the furrow. If the device does not work correctly, then adjust it directly in the ground. Evaluate the load on the tiller when plowing and the correctness of the stroke.
If on trial plowing you are convinced that the equipment is working correctly, then you can start plowing:
- We expose the unit at the border of the desired area, turn on the first speed and clamp the clutch. Make sure that your steering wheel is parallel to the ground so that the car goes straight ahead and does not dig into the ground.
- The plowing process should take place without effort on the part of the operator. With a good setting, the technique itself moves and plows the area, and you only control it.
- After cutting the first furrow, measure the depth with a ruler or tape measure. If the depth matches the one to which you set the unit, then you can continue to work.
Adjustment on heavy tillers
The plow setting on heavy diesel tillers is the same as on the light class machines. The only thing is that lugs are not installed on heavy machines, because the mass of such equipment exceeds 200 kg. Most importantly, observe safety precautions when connecting the unit and plowing. After all, the more powerful the technique, the more careful you need to be when working.
Adjusting the plow on the tiller
To work on different types of soil, the unit must be configured differently. But the main adjustment takes place according to several criteria:
- Setting the plowing depth;
- Adjustment of the angle of attack;
- First furrow cutting.
Plowing depth. The further process of growing crops depends on the setting of the plowing depth. If you adjust the depth insufficient, the roots of harmful plants will remain under the soil, and if the depth is too deep, then the fertile soil will mix and the plants will not receive the necessary nutrients.
Attack angle. The adjustment takes place using a field board. The performance of the unit depends on the angle of attack: if the angle of attack is greater than necessary, the device will get stuck in the ground and the tiller will skid; and if the angle of attack is insufficient, the plow will not remove the required layer of soil.
First furrow. After all adjustments have been made, the first furrow must be plowed. At this stage, it becomes clear whether the plow is set up correctly. On the next plowing, the machine is lowered by one wheel into the track, and further adjustment takes place in the furrow.
Types of plows
Over the thousand-year history of using the plow, it has often been modified. Modern units are usually divided by working bodies, their number and purpose.
- According to the working elements, the plows are divided into plowshares and disc.
- By the number of working bodies for one-, two-, three-body, etc.
- By appointment for special and general.
A share plow is a unit, the body of which is equipped with a share (knife). The ploughshare cuts the soil, lifts it up, and turns the blade over. The share unit is used for plowing the land for sowing grain crops. Maximum plowing depth. 30 cm.
Disc plow. instead of a ploughshare, the device has discs that plow the land. This unit is used on heavy rocky soils and fields that are located in the place of uprooted forests. The advantage of the disc is that if the ploughshare finds it on a stone, it will break and the disc will roll over the obstacle. Disc devices are used only by powerful tractors in large fields.
A multi-body plow is a unit on which several bodies with shares are installed. The more powerful the tractor, the more bodies on one frame it can pull. Multi-body units speed up field processing and increase productivity. The heavy diesel tiller is equipped with two-body devices.
Special and general purpose plows. A general purpose machine is a share device that is designed for plowing a field. Special purpose machines are devices for difficult soil types, such as swampy, rocky, etc.
Frequent problems and solutions
Remember that plows are structurally different from each other. The general adjustment process is similar, but the elements for which adjustment takes place may differ. Before starting the connection and setup, read the instructions that came with the device.
The same goes for the tiller. Specify, based on the instructions, whether you need to change the wheels to lugs, and what diameter they should be. It is recommended to install weights on light and middle class tillers so that the unit sinks under the weight of the machine. If the plow is set up correctly, but the machine is still skidding, then the unit is too big for your tiller capacity. This problem can be solved by installing weighting materials.
When choosing a device, be guided by the power of the tiller. The heavier the machine, the larger the diameter of the plow. Heavy diesel tillers are equipped with double-body devices that increase the productivity of the site.
The design of the plow is simple and straightforward. the main thing is to be attentive to the unit itself and to think sensibly when connecting it. Remember that the unit must be looked after in the same way as the tiller. Clean your machine after plowing, try not to plow stony soils, and service your helper in a timely manner.
Sharpening a share
The main working element of the plow is a ploughshare (knife). The share carries the main load during plowing, because it is this element that cuts through the soil layer. Over time, the share dulls, which leads to a decrease in plowing performance. The unit must be equipped with a removable share.
If the cutting edge is damaged, the device stops easily sinking into the ground, and the tiller begins to slip. If the plowing process has deteriorated, then it is time to make repairs. The share can be sharpened correctly only on special equipment that will heat the steel to make it plastic. After the steel becomes more plastic, it is straightened, cooled and sharpened. At home, you can use a tool sharpening machine. The share must be sharpened at a slight angle, from the side on which it crashes into the ground.
Installing the plow on the tiller through the hitch
Before installing the unit, place a bar under the left wheel of the tiller to recreate the plowing process. Structurally, the plows differ from each other, so you need to know the depth of plowing in advance. Usually, the recommended depth is indicated in the instructions for the device. On summer cottages and household plots, the plowing depth is set from 10 to 20 cm.
The unit is hung on a single point mount and fixed with two bolts. If the tiller is not equipped with a one-point system, then a hitch is attached to it, on which the plow is hung. When installing the device through a hitch, the main thing is that there is a slight backlash in the horizontal plane, no more than 5 degrees, because if you tighten the bolts as much as possible, you will have to make efforts to till the soil.
After preparing the machine for plowing and connecting the plow, you can start setting up the device.
Preparing to use the tiller
Plowing the soil begins with the preparation of the tiller. Let’s figure out how to do this.
- Before plowing, motor vehicles must be uncompleted. The tiller must be transported to the workplace without carts and other attachments. As a rule, the unit is transported to its destination by road. If the land that you intend to cultivate is located near your home, the installation of the tiller must be performed on a flat surface in any suitable place.
- Removal of transport wheels. After the tiller has been delivered to the area to be plowed, it is required to dismantle the transport wheels in order to exchange them for specialized lugs (iron wheels). To facilitate this work, tragus can be placed under the hitch located at the rear of the unit. Lugs are necessary for a better grip on the ground. They are irreplaceable equipment for plowing, planting beets, carrots, potatoes.
- Rotation of the hubs. At the next stage of the preparation of the machine before plowing, it is necessary to change the hubs on which the transport wheels stood for longer ones. This is necessary to increase the distance between the lugs. Such a solution will significantly improve the stability of the unit during operation.
- Installation of lugs. Moving on to mounting iron wheels. It is essential that these elements are correctly mounted. Correct fit is determined by the directionality of the tread pattern. Narrowing the pattern shows the direction of forward movement.
The tragus can now be removed and the plow can be assembled. It consists of mounting a coupling mechanism on the plow, which is called a coupling. The coupling mechanism is whereby the plow is fixed to the towing hitch (tow hitch, hitch) of the unit. It can be of 2 types: universal and stationary. One hitch makes it possible to use a variety of objects (harrows, diggers, plows, etc.), and the other is needed to mate the adapter and the device.
To make the installation of a plowing tool more comfortable, install motor vehicles on supports, the function of which can be performed by stones, bricks or boards. Fixing the plow is very simple. the hitch for the unit has its own place on the drawbar and is secured with a single pivot. Many people believe that by fixing the plow firmly on the machine, things will go easier and faster. In practice, everything is exactly the opposite. Because in the process of plowing, the force is acting on the tool, concentrated vertically to the blade blade, there is a counteraction, which tries to drag the entire tiller to the side.
Accessories for customization
The assembly diagram of functional and structural elements and a detailed drawing of the plow can be created by yourself. Extreme precision will make it possible to eliminate assembly complications and the negative impact of errors on the working properties of the unit. It is necessary to take into account the overall characteristics of the elements. Even the smallest miscalculation can significantly affect the functional properties of the equipment. In the drawings with the dimensions of the attached equipment for the unit, 3 construction planes are connected:
- The surface of the runner is lateral;
- Horizontal bottom;
- Moldboard front.
The scheme of the simplest handicraft plow consists of the following elements:
- 2 handles made of metal pipe;
- Rack stopper with a standard size screw M10 or M8;
- Retaining fork for frame pivot;
- Coupling device;
- Beams between handles;
- Locking nut;
- Adjusting washer;
- Hitch handle;
- T-shaped connector.
In order to choose the right plow for motor vehicles of a suitable design, it is necessary to find out what types of such devices generally exist. Depending on the direction of agricultural work, the following are practiced:
- 2 case;
- Moldless devices.
How to properly adjust?
The plowing depth is the distance the plow sinks into the soil while working. It is necessary to adjust it as far as the bayonet of the shovel takes. Otherwise, the following problems may occur.
- With insufficient depth, a considerable proportion of the roots of weeds will remain under the ground, which will require new forces to eliminate them.
- If the depth turns out to be deeper than required, the fertile soil layer will mix with what is located under it, and the vegetation will not have adequate nutrition. In this regard, you need to keep the golden mean.
Features of plow adjustment on the tiller
Every owner of a vegetable garden, a garden plot, a small farm understands what it is like to manually plow the beds and pull out weeds. To facilitate plowing, a plow is used. However, using a tractor or animal traction for a small plot of land is not cheap and stupid. For such tasks, motor vehicles MB 90, “Oka”, Brado Garden, “Neva” are used. In other words, it is a motor on wheels, on which a variety of attachments are mounted: from trailers to plows. Our article is devoted to the features of the plow adjustment on the tiller.
Preparation for plowing
Before plowing, you need to perform a test plowing and check the quality of the plow setting.
- Find out the features of the blade and the depth of the furrow;
- Check the movement of the plow in the furrow;
- Trace the measured movement of the unit and the load on the hands of the plowman;
- Establish unit load.
Test plowing of an area is performed as follows.
- We put the unit on the edge of the cultivated land.
- We set the first speed and gently push the clutch handle. It is imperative that the steering wheel of the implement is parallel to the ground plane so that the implement does not burrow into the ground, but does not rise above the arable land being cut. When plowing, an employee does not need to press on the steering wheel and push motor vehicles too diligently, since this agricultural machine itself will perfectly cope with its own duties without auxiliary efforts.
- After obtaining a test furrow, it is imperative to measure the plowing depth. To do this, you need to use a tape measure or an ordinary ruler. If the dimensions converge with the initially set, then you can start the main work.
For those who already have the practical skill of plowing the soil with motor vehicles, there is no need to explain what and how to perform at this stage. Further information is given for informational purposes to the one who encounters this case for the first time. The slope of the angle of attack, or, as it is also called, the slope of the angle of the field board, is the slope that indicates the height of the plowing plane in relation to a flat plane. Adjustment is carried out using a screw knob.
The order of operations is as follows:
- Place the unit with the plow on the supports mentioned earlier;
- Turn the adjustment knob to the limit so that the field board is completely laid down on the ground, without gaps;
- Start rotating the handle in the opposite direction until the back of the board rises 2 to 3 cm above the ground.
If you make a miscalculation, then the following unpleasant consequences will appear:
- With a large field board angle, the plow will become an anchor. the unit will begin to slip regularly and move forward with an effort;
- At a small angle, the required layer of soil will not be removed.
- You can only check if everything is correct, only the plowing stage. the unit should not resist or move excessively freely.
Regulation on heavy implements
The technology for adjusting light motor vehicles was described above, which is mainly used in summer cottages. But there are also heavy modifications. Their main difference is that the heavy ones are several times more powerful and massive than the rest of the models. In addition, they are equipped with diesel engines. This choice is explained by the fact that with an equal number of revolutions, a diesel engine has a higher torque than a carburetor one. Installation and adjustment of the plow for this type of equipment does not differ at all from those presented above. The only thing that needs to be indicated is that it is advisable to carry out the adjustment by the 2nd worker due to the fact that the mass of heavy units sometimes exceeds 200 kilograms.
Field board tilt
For those who already have experience in plowing the land with a tiller, there is no need to explain what and how to do at this stage. Below is information for familiarization for those who encountered this lesson for the first time.
The slope of the field board, or as it is also called the angle of attack, is the slope of the level of the plowing plane relative to the surface. Adjustment takes place by means of a screw handle.
The procedure is as follows:
- Install the tiller with a plow on the stands mentioned at the beginning of the article.
- Unscrew the adjustment knob all the way so that the field board is completely flat on the ground, no gaps.
- Begin turning the handle in the opposite direction until the back is 2-3 centimeters above the ground.
If you make a mistake here, there will be consequences:
- At a high angle of attack, the plow will turn into an anchor. the tiller will constantly skid and move forward with difficulty;
- If the angle is small, the required soil layer will not be removed.
It will be possible to check if everything is correct at the stage of plowing. the tiller should not rest or go too easily.
Installing the plow on the tiller through the hitch
The hitch is what the plow is attached to to the trailer’s hitch. They exist of two types: universal and stationary. Universal is more preferable for work, as it allows you to make some more precise settings.
The attachment of the plow is quite simple. the hitch for the tiller takes its place on the hitch and is fixed with one shkvone.
Many people think that by screwing the plow securely onto the tiller, the work will go easier and faster. In fact, the opposite is true. Due to the fact that during plowing the plow is acted upon by forces directed perpendicular to the plane of the blade, there is resistance, which strives to divert the entire unit to the side. With a rigid attachment, the worker has to exert effort, literally pressing the tiller into the ground. Therefore, it is necessary to leave a backlash in the horizontal plane of about 5 degrees.
Adjustment and adjustment of the plow on the tiller
Any owner of his garden knows what it is like to manually plow the beds and pull the weeds. A plow is used to facilitate plowing. But using animal power or a tractor for a small area is costly and unwise. For these purposes, Tillery is used. mainly Neva, MTZ, Oka, Farmer, Centaur. To put it simply, this is an engine with wheels, on which various attachments are attached. from carts to plows. Our step-by-step instructions will tell you about the latter, or rather, about how the plow is adjusted on the tiller.
Plow setting on heavy tillers
The article considered the so-called light tillers, which are mostly used in summer cottages. But there are also heavy varieties. Their main differences are that the latter are many times more powerful and more cumbersome. They are also equipped with diesel engines. This choice is due to the fact that with the same volume in the operating speed, a diesel engine has more torque than a gasoline engine.
Installing and adjusting the plow for this type of equipment is no different from what was described above. The only thing worth noting is that the adjustment is best done by two workers, because the weight of heavy tillers sometimes exceeds 200 kilograms.
Plowing depth and how to adjust it
The plowing depth is the distance that the plow goes deep into the ground while working. You need to set the depth at the distance that the shovel bayonet takes. Otherwise, the following effects may result:
- If the depth is insufficient, most of the weed roots will remain underground, which will require additional efforts to remove them.
- If the depth is deeper than necessary, the fertile soil layer will mix with what is under it, and the plants will not receive adequate nutrition.
Therefore, it is necessary to adhere to the golden mean.
The depth is adjusted using the bolts that hold the plow shackle and the lock together. Accordingly, moving the plow up and down, this setting is carried out.
First furrow and blade angle
After the previous steps have been made, it is time to make the final adjustment so that subsequent furrowing is easy. To do this, the tiller is placed at the edge of the site, the plow is driven into the ground and the first furrow is passed. It is important at this point to keep the line straight so that subsequent passes are also straight. A string stretched on pegs or another landmark can help here.
Then, with one wheel, the tiller is placed in the furrow and the plow is oriented so that it is perpendicular to the ground, to do this accurately use a square. If you are uncomfortable doing this in the ground, place the tiller on a flat surface with a support under one wheel that matches the depth of the furrow. After that, the plow setting is considered complete and you can proceed to the second, third furrow.
The first and most important thing to note is to follow safety precautions.
In general, the tiller’s device is clear and simple. But in any case, like any other technique, it needs care and timely maintenance and replacement of consumables. Use only quality spare parts recommended by manufacturers.
To prevent mixing of the fertile layer and what is under it, change the direction of plowing every season. In this case, you will reduce the likelihood of crop failure.
If your plow does not have height adjustment, you can drill an extra hole in the tine yourself. But make sure that the structure does not lose its rigidity.