How to grind a bar angle grinder. Sanding of logs
Grinding a log house with their own hands. All the “chips” of a successful result
Theoretically, the grinding can be performed and improvised abrasive devices like sandpaper with files and chisels. But this approach is time-consuming and unlikely to provide quality results. Therefore it is recommended to focus on the following equipment:
- A rotary sander. The most flexible in terms of machining technique, performing rotary and reciprocating motion. Optimal for cylindrical logs precisely because of the overall trajectory of the processing, close to the ellipse. How much does it cost to sand walls from a log with this machine? Despite the high performance of the device, the costs can be stacked in 2-3 thousand. even complete with consumables.
- Angle grinder. Also known as “angle grinder“. This is not the best tool for delicate mechanical processing of a log cabin, but due to prevalence and availability, it is more often used angle grinder. The strengths of the “angle grinder” include the possibility of effective roughing in difficult areas. It costs about 3-5 thousand. for an average model in terms of characteristics.
- Polishing grinder. Specialized tool with a reduced frequency of rotation, which in this case can be used as a means of finishing. Especially suitable if you need to refine the material in areas of complex shape. in corners, grooves and ends. Such machines are available on the market for the same price of about 3-4 thousand. for an average machine in terms of capabilities.
Cutting, Grinding, Sanding and Polishing with the Parkside cordless anglegrinder.
Sanding or not a log cabin of natural moisture
Articles in periodicals and the web say that sanding dry timber is easier, so it is better for the house to stand for a year or more after the construction of the house from the timber. But just think about what happens to the walls during this time? The timber will crack, and even covered with all sorts of compositions, without sanding will look unsightly. Such walls can be seen in numerous photos on the web.
The first thing to do after construction, even from the material of natural moisture. is to protect the walls from external influences. And by doing the painting without sanding, these tasks will not be performed.
Of course, the treatment of natural moisture is more difficult, because the individual fibers will separate. But if you cover the wood of natural moisture without pre-sanding, then cracking will not be avoided.
Conclusion one, sand the walls of any moisture should immediately after the construction of the house. And if you assemble the house and cover it with a roof, canned, it will dry out slowly and evenly. All the more, the sanding technology is designed for different types of wood.
What is the usefulness of polishing?
Sanding a log cabin helps in the following cases:
- Exposure to sunlight can cause the wood to take on a darker yellow hue. Sanding restores the natural even color.
- If you do not sand the board before coating, the impregnation will be absorbed unevenly and pigment stains will form on the walls.
- By removing a millimeter, the pores of fungus and mold already on the wood are neutralized from above.
- It is rare to see a completed log building with clean walls. Sanding will remove all the dirt and irregularities, the walls will look like in the advertising photos of construction companies.
Types of cutting attachments for sanding wood angle grinder
Sanding the board with an angle grinder. one of the main tasks in which this tool is used. From the master requires special care, since wood. the material is fibrous. To avoid the appearance of barbs, splinters, a large scatter of chips is needed not only reliable fixation of the workpiece, but also special nozzles: standard diamond cutters will not do. The work is performed by special sanding heads.
Primary processing of wooden products is carried out by sanding discs of these types:
- Roughing. This type of nozzle is used to remove old, hard to clean coatings such as lacquer or dried paint from the workpiece. Throughout the entire area of the disk there are bristles of steel wire.
- Cord brushes. After the initial roughing, the wood surface is smoothed and smoothed with wire brushes or stiff wire strands arranged horizontally or perpendicularly.
For sanding and polishing
After the rough initial treatment, the wood is sanded and polished. The following kinds of discs are used for this purpose:
- Sanding paddle. The best-known and most common type of angle grinder attachments. The disc resembles a flower with long thin petals, which are used as an abrasive material. Petal bits wear out slowly. As you grind, it is recommended that you gradually replace coarse-grit abrasives with finer-grit ones.
- Adhesive abrasive wheels. Glued with Velcro to the round metal head of the angle grinder. Several wheels are supplied as standard. usually five. A worn disc is easily removed from the nozzle and replaced with a new one. The abrasive wheel contains abrasive paper, felt, sponge, high-density cloths.
Cutting-off wheels are used to cut wood with an angle grinder. They are made of tungsten carbide, a high-strength powder material, because extra durability is needed for cutting work. Do not use a cutting wheel for wood, stone, metal, or ceramics. The consequences can be disastrous: the wooden workpiece will be damaged, the disc will break, and the angle grinder itself will burn out.
In addition to diameter and cutting depth, the shape of the teeth is the key to the classification of cutting wheels:
- straight. for soft wood;
- Alternately beveled. for all types of wood;
- Trapezoidal. for chipboard, medium density chipboard, laminate.
When you look at a cutting wheel, you immediately notice the notches along the circumference or the slots.
Cutting discs with different teeth and notches
This is a special design solution to prevent overheating of the material. For example, water cooling is used for stone or metal, but not for wood. That’s why manufacturers made every effort in advance to minimize the risk of overheating the lap.
Important! All modern angle grinders have a standard shaft diameter of 22.2 mm, but on older models this size can be smaller or larger. On the smaller diameter shaft you can put the cutting wheel, using the adapter nozzle, but on the large shaft you can not install a disk of this type.
The bits are purchased with strictly defined rotational speeds in mind; the correspondence between the machine and the discs must be absolute. Several wheel sizes are available ranging from 115 to 230 mm. Shaft diameter is 22.2 mm. Smaller disc is not difficult to install on the angle grinder with a larger size, and special adapters are used. The nozzle is fastened with a wrench, the stud with a standard M14 thread.
We suggest reading How to properly trim walls with imitation beams
To choose the right disc, experts recommend paying attention to several parameters.
- Thickness. It is believed that the denser circles operate longer.
- Basic diameter. The larger the thickness, the faster the grinding process. Larger wheels are more reliable and last longer. Masters prefer the universal wheels with a diameter of 125 mm. In this case, it is easy to hold the machine with one hand to perform precise operations. The maximum size of 230 mm is rarely used when working with wood. Natural wood is not homogeneous, so it is better to resort to a gradual and gentle sanding. Discs 150 mm and sometimes even 180 mm are good for repairs.
- Type of segment. Rough abrasives are purchased for primary processing, soft. for finishing details. Generally, you need both hard roughing and polishing discs for big surfaces at home.
Some nuances in the work
Technology polishing log house is not as scary as they paint it. The main thing is to stock up on quality tools, materials and patience. In addition, you should pay attention to some nuances. That is, the work is done after:
- roof installation, so that the rain can not soak the walls;
- wood drying, otherwise the abrasive sanding (wheel) will be clogged and the wood will be “shaken” (the nominal period of drying. about 12 months from the date of construction of the structure);
- Treatment of the material with bleaching antiseptic, because in the process of drying the log house darkens.
In addition, if within 7 days after sanding a log cabin did not treat the paint substance or antiseptic, the surface will darken and the entire work will have to do over again. Here is an article about how to paint a log cabin.
It is also not recommended to procrastinate with the finish, otherwise you can forget about the evenly attractive shade. Also, the work is done before installing windows, ceiling and floor cladding. I think you can see why: the dust will be. “mama’s hands”. So, let’s go.
The purpose of sanding
When building wooden houses, many builders want to emphasize the pristine beauty of the wood texture, rejecting this kind of finish, such as painting. For this log cabin is treated with transparent or tinted products, which along with the decorative functions also protect the wood from rain and snow. Often the ingredients in the coating form a kind of ultraviolet barrier that protects the wood from the sun.
The problem with wood treatment is that the log house cannot be coated with a protective agent at once. Any house, chopped from a log or a log of natural moisture, must first give the shrinkage. In this case the wood will dry out and the humidity will not exceed 20%. Only in this case it is possible to apply various protective coatings. However, in natural conditions wood dries for months or even years. During this time, the log cabin will certainly darken and turn gray. In this case sanding will help, which will be preceded by processing with protective compositions.
How and with what to sand
The purpose of grinding wood. as quickly and effectively as possible to remove defects, while leaving no visible deep scratches. To do this, you can use special tools. now their price is not too great.
In the free sale can be found several varieties of grinders:
On the angle grinder can be installed not only abrasive wheels, but also brushes. Thus, for sanding wood, nylon brushes are actively used. They allow you to make the surface not only smooth, but also highlight the texture of the wood by selecting softer fibers. Such a process is called brushing.
For large surfaces made of wood and wood-based materials (veneer, chipboard, fiberboard, plywood) are best suited to belt and surface sanders.
Decorative products, furniture, toys, frames, many still prefer to sand by hand, and this is not such a bad way. it allows effectively and without extra cost to achieve a perfectly smooth surface. At least when working with their own hands will not have to think about where to take the grinder (ask a neighbor, buy in a store, rent, leaving a deposit).
Belt type machine
Belt machines are so called because the sandpaper here is made in a tape format and it is continuously moving due to the rollers. This machine is designed for intermediate and rough sanding. But in order to achieve perfect smoothness and a perfect finish (especially true for those who are engaged in furniture production), you will have to use other sanding equipment in addition.
Different types of sandpaper can be mounted on the belt sander. If fine grit sandpaper is used, for example, it is possible to achieve the normal sanding result for joinery workpieces that are to be sanded for colouring. And, say, to eliminate long scratches will have to carry out a step grinding, changing the grit several times.
A belt sander has excellent performance. That said, it must be acknowledged that the tape on it stands in such a way that not all points and notches of the board surface can be properly abraded.
Even with a considerable belt width, the belt is ground predominantly in its center. Parts of the belt behind and in front are not used for this. They are in a slightly elevated position, and their main function is to feed the driving roller mechanisms.
Another obvious disadvantage of belt equipment. a solid weight, it is difficult to perform any action with such machines on the weight, processing vertical products.
There is a tape devices for grinding wood and such a disadvantage as a high noise. to work without earplugs or headphones will not be too comfortable. And another important point: if you leave the machine in one place for a long time during work, you will have a fairly noticeable pit.
Even grinding large wooden products with flat sander goes pretty quickly. The key organ of the machine is a flat, rather large plate (soleplate), to which the desired abrasive is attached. This design is famous for almost complete absence of dead zones (that is, areas that can not be reached by the machine and satisfactorily processed). any angle is relatively easy to grind.
The demand for flat grinders among craftsmen in wood is due to their moderate price and availability of equipment. When choosing such a machine, you should pay attention to such parameters as the motor power (usually we are talking about indicators in the range from 150 to 300 watts), weight, amplitude and frequency of the sole stroke.
This is why NOBODY will tell YOU this ANGLE GRINDER Hack!
Sanding wood by hand, of course, requires more labor and physical effort. But this method of sanding is a priori less aggressive and allows you to fully control the process. Even in hard-to-reach places. in corners and complex curves. you can get a decent quality sanding if you choose the manual method.
In the so-called interlayer sanding of finishing coatings, manual work has no alternatives at all. it is the only way to eliminate the risk of spoiling the finish already applied. Manual processing (if compared to the grinder) allows you to get the most even and smooth surface, although it takes a few times more time.
Despite the high-quality professional assembly of the wooden construction, some rows of beams of the structure can protrude by 1-2 mm, making the walls uneven. To achieve perfect smoothness of the walls inside the house, it is necessary to sand the timber, although such work also pursues other goals.
- removal of mold stains, fungus;
- elimination of minor damage to the timber received during laying;
- wood surface lightening;
- removal of lint after the application of antiseptic impregnations;
- making the pattern and texture of wood fresh.
Polishing also involves the removal of the layer damaged due to external influences, renewal after several years of operation of the room. In addition, this is the way to remove the old varnish coating and antiseptic impregnation from the surface, which are no longer relevant. Sanding helps bring back the look and color of fresh wood.
If a person performs sanding walls for the first time, he may make certain mistakes, as a result of which the quality of the performance of the specified work is significantly reduced:
- The work is carried out at maximum revolutions of the tool, which often leads to the formation of deep grooves.
- If there is residual resin on the surface, then during sanding it is smeared on the wall, which significantly hinders the further process.
- If there are defects in the radial wood, i.e. its delamination, it is first necessary to treat the surface with glue, let it dry and only then move on to sanding.
- If water-based paint or varnish is used, after the first staining, the nap may rise and therefore have to be sanded again.
- If paint materials based on chemical solvents are used, in such cases, the pile usually does not rise.
- To carry out these works in a new house is recommended after installing the roof, but before installed doors, windows, made ceilings and floors.
- Note that over time, the wood hardens and its sanding will be more difficult.
- Often, to accelerate the work inexperienced masters use large and powerful angle grinder or grinder, but they quickly fatigue the hand, and therefore obtain damage to the surface.
Many home craftsmen, performing sanding themselves, often make mistakes, among which the most common are:
- Sanding a damp timber, which inevitably leads to re-sanding;
- The wrong choice of tool, which affects the quality of sanding;
- Working at high revolutions, which contributes to the appearance of surface recesses and grooves;
- Sanded walls remain without a protective coating for a long time, which causes the wood to darken.
Grinding is a difficult and time-consuming job that requires a lot of patience and a competent approach. It is not easy to do it yourself, without certain skills and experience.