How To Mow Grass With A Manual Lawn Mower
Arrangement of green lawns at dachas and country estates is becoming a popular activity. At first glance, it seems that everything is simple in this matter: he allocated a place under a green lawn, sowed a plot with grass seeds and wait for the field to turn into a green lawn. And only later comes the understanding of the need for proper care, and he, first of all, is the skillful operation of the lawn mower. It turns out that mowing the lawn is necessary not only for beauty.
Why and how often does the lawn mow
Typically, lawns are planted with grasses of the cereal family, and mowing prevents their flowering and fruiting. This simple technique prolongs the vegetative period of plants, promotes good rooting, growth of lateral green shoots and tillering. Regular haircuts contribute to compaction of turf, and densely growing “cultivated” grass prevents the growth and spread of weeds. Throughout the entire warm period as a result of timely mowing, the green color of the lawn remains.
There is no certainty regarding the frequency of mowing the lawn. This parameter depends on several objective factors:
- Type of planted vegetation;
- Type of soil and top dressing;
- Seasonal characteristics of plant growth;
- Designation of a lawn.
The first lawn mowing events begin in the spring, after the grass on the planned sown lawn rises to a height of 12. 14 cm. It is recommended to mow the lawn when the greenery rises to 7-10 cm. Depending on the intended purpose of the green cover, the grass is mowed to a level of 4-7 cm. Subsequent mowing is recommended each time the grass is pulled up 2-3 cm above the desired level.
Lawnmower trim height adjustment
The lawn mower structurally involves adjusting the cutting height of the grass. The range of different models may vary. Manufacturers of equipment indicate the minimum and maximum value of this parameter in the accompanying documentation. In inexpensive models of removable height positions, most often 3, in more expensive and advanced ones, there may be 5-7 regulator positions.
Different models may vary the technical decision of choosing the cutting height. There are two types of regulation: manual and mechanical. The first involves stopping the engine and actions to change the position of the regulator manually. The mechanical method allows you to change the cutting height by pressing a button on the control lever, without interruption of the process.
Basic Lawn Mowing
Hence the conclusion: owners of lawn mowers should not allow high growth of grass.
The question is often raised whether mow wet grass gas mower. The rules say: it is not recommended to work with a lawn mower in the rain or after watering, since such mowing is not of a high quality, and there is a risk of getting ugly stripes on wet ground
In addition, there are other rules that must be observed when mowing the lawn.
- A hot summer day is not the best time to mow the weed. Fresh sections dry quickly and their yellowness spoils the appearance of the lawn.
- It is recommended to mow the lawn in the morning or evening in dry weather, a day after rain or watering, when the soil and grass have dried.
- It is necessary to ensure that the mower’s knife was sharpened. Working with blunt knives is fraught with troubles in the form of jamming of foliage and tearing weed from the root.
- Before you start mowing, you need to rake up the fallen leaves, tree branches and other garbage, smooth out the earthen mounds that have formed as a result of the life of earthworms, ants and other insects.
- Should decide cutting direction, so that it is at an angle to the previous one. Otherwise, the appearance of the lawn will be associated with a washing board.
- When cutting, you must follow the parallel pattern and not leave narrow stripes, paying attention to the grass under the wheels.
Lawnmower mulching function
In the care of beds and lawns, various methods are used to improve soil fertility. Mulching is a necessary event for the improvement of lawns, as well as prevent soil erosion. Mowed grass has proven itself as a mulch. It is periodically recommended to mow the grass and make compost from it, which in winter is used as an organic fertilizer of the lawn.
On sale there are wheel units in which the mulching function is already integrated. With this additional feature, the lawnmower mulches grass and uncleaned fallen leaves during mowing: the process consists of grinding and gently ejecting organic matter onto the trimmed part of the lawn. The advantage of such models is obvious: the lawn is cleaned of plant debris, which in processed form returns to the soil surface and enriches it. But the cost of a lawn mower with additional features will be higher than a conventional model.
Problems with the operation of lawn mowers
Like any gardening equipment used, lawn mowing equipment require compliance with safe use practices. Operate motorized equipment only in good condition. This is an unshakable requirement. And before you turn on the electric or gasoline unit, you must make sure its integrity. When carrying out work, it is necessary to observe the general safety rules and the requirements of the instructions from the manufacturer.
There are five main problems with using the mower:
- Hitting an obstacle;
- Leaked oil;
- Knives are clogged with grass;
- The unit rakes the ground with grass;
- Uneven cut.
All problems can be solved to one degree or another. In the first two situations, most likely, you will have to seek help from specialists. And for the prevention of such problems, it is recommended to check the area before mowing for stones and other objects in the grass of the lawn, and also not to store the device upside down.
Young soft and juicy grass can clog a hole for its ejection, and then unstable, ragged operation of the motor is observed. In this case, it is necessary to periodically stop the operation to clean the hole from adhering grass segments with a thin sharp tool.
When a mower powerfully rakes not only grass stems, but also clods of earth, it will help to rectify the situation. Readjusting the cutting height so that the knife does not reach the ground. If a unit with a normally working motor cuts grass with uneven strips, shreds, then the problem with the knife is either dull or not installed correctly.
When working with a lawn mower, do not forget to use individual protection means. Check your work equipment regularly to identify defects in time and solve the problem before a serious breakdown occurs.
There are several situations in which the braid on the summer cottage or suburban area can be optimally useful:
- The rains had passed, and the grass had grown strongly;
- There is too much grass for the trimmer, but no lawnmowers;
- You need to mow the grass in an uncomfortable place for the mower (uneven soil, near shrubs or trees).
If the grass is too tall. Than 15 cm, then the trimmer scatters it in the form of small debris throughout the site. In order to remove the mowed vegetation quickly and without unnecessary debris, it is advisable to use a manual scythe. About how to use it and will be discussed in this article.
- Why mow grass
- Where and when to mow grass
- How to mow grass: technique
- How to sharpen a scythe with a bar
- The man who mows the grass
- Network user reviews
Why mow grass
Weed grass has good adaptability to any growing conditions and grows everywhere. If weeds are not destroyed, then in a couple of years they will turn any site into a wild field. Weeds propagate not only by seeds, but also by rhizome. Thus, to remove some types of vegetation will have to spend a lot of time.
Growing weeds quickly develop the useful area of the site, intensively use nutrients and moisture from the soil. It is impossible to destroy the unsolicited flora, which grows next to useful plants, by chemical means.
This will lead to the death of all vegetation. For these reasons, grass mowing is a must. For the rational use of their time, it is necessary to choose the right tool for mowing:
- Mowing with a lawn mower is necessary on an even large area. A lawn or rest area;
- It is convenient to work with a trimmer in any areas if the height of the grass is 5 to 10 cm.
- Oblique mow tall grass or vegetation in an uneven area.
When choosing a tool, you must remember that the older the braid, the better the metal used to make it. Modern braids significantly lose in the quality of the Soviet. The size of the tool is indicated by a number from 3 to 9. The number determines the length of the blade: the larger the number, the longer the braid.
Where and when to mow grass
Grass needs to be mowed as it grows. Intensive growth of vegetation occurs in late April. May, especially it intensifies after rains.
Mowed grass must be removed immediately from the site, as uncleaned parts of plants can grow in wet soil. Then you can mow once every 2-3 weeks, depending on the growth of vegetation. If you do not start growth, then you can mow small shoots with a trimmer as they appear.
In hot weather, plant growth slows down and you need to mow less often. In the heat you can not mow the lawn too low. The grass will burn out.
The last lawn mowing occurs in October.
How to mow grass: technique
Good mowing is ensured by a well-chosen working tool and its preparation for work.
- The tool must be sharp and not dull while you mow. Sharpen it on an abrasive wheel. The width of the circle is 1.5-2 cm, the blade is wetted during sharpening so that it is wet. Sharpened the bottom.
- Blasting is performed using a special hammer. The purpose of beating is to prevent the blade from blunting quickly when mowing.
- Both planes of the braid sharpen bar. If you have no experience sharpening such a tool, then it is advisable to find a professional.
- Mowing starting position: take tool; in work, the body will bend slightly, following the movement of the hands; supporting leg is slightly in front; the body is slightly turned to the left.
- The mowing wave will consist of two parts: first the tool goes in one direction, then in the other.
- The swings are not wide; hands move like pendulums. From right to left and then a second swing from right to left.
- Smooth waves. There should be no tension in your hands, otherwise you will quickly get tired.
- To make it easy to mow, the handle should be located at the level of the belt.
- When the mowers mow, the heel of the braid rakes the mowed plants and folds them to the side of the mowing. It turns out a grass roll.
The mowing should be straight, its width should not change. Video: how to mow grass with a manual scythe
How to sharpen a scythe with a bar
Sharpening a scythe with a bar can be difficult for a beginner. Here, as in any other business, there is its own instruction:
- Keep the tavern against the ground, with the blade and bar in your hands;
- The tool in this position has two planes: upper and lower;
- The upper is sharpened by a sliding movement along the blade from itself to the side;
- The lower plane is sharpened by the movement of the bar with a force upward in the direction from itself forward.
Bar for sharpening braids
The man who mows the grass
The mower puts his legs so that a comfortable support is formed when moving (the distance between the heels is about 35 cm) and brings forward the supporting leg.
- A wave consists of two tricks: the tool moves to the right, then with a return movement to the left. At the same time, the blade cuts the plants. Try to capture no more than 15 cm of grass.
- After 1-2 strokes, a step forward is made with the left foot.
- Again 2 strokes and step forward with the right foot.
- Do not slouch, as your back muscles will get tired and you won’t be able to work long.
- Follow your breathing technique. Do not rush, try to just perform the movements correctly.
Now that you know how to mow and how to sharpen the braid, remember that this is a traumatic tool and you need to handle it carefully, especially if there are other people near you. Also, do not be distracted while mowing so as not to injure your slanting leg.