How To Mow With A Lawn Mower
Filling lawn mowers with petrol and oil
The tool must be filled with fuel before mowing with the lawn mower. Gasoline with oil is used as fuel. However, keep in mind that you only need to mix gasoline with oil for two-stroke engines. Four-stroke engines run on pure gasoline, since their design has a separate oil sump. There is no oil sump in the design of 2-stroke petrol trimmers, so only gasoline and oil should be poured into the tank.
It is recommended to use AI-92 fuel as gasoline. In order not to make a mistake in choosing, you need to read the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Often, most manufacturers recommend using AI-92 fuel, and only a few recommend using AI-95.
Gasoline must be diluted with a small amount in a ratio of 1 to 25. This means that 40 ml of two-stroke oil must be added to 1 liter of gasoline. However, not everything is so simple here either. The proportion of 1 to 25 is universal, but there are different values for each instrument model. These values are also indicated by the manufacturer in the instructions. For more information on how to properly dilute gasoline and oil in a lawn mower, see here. After diluting gasoline with oil, fill the tank full, and start working.
How to attach a disc or line to a trimmer
The cutter is attached to the executive body. The attachment point is called the gearbox. It is not difficult to cope with the task of installing a disc or coil. The principle of fastening the cutting discs to the trimmer is as follows:
- Initially, the shaped washer is fixed by using a hex wrench
- Install the disc on the shaft
- Then install the upper washer, then tighten it using the fastening nut
- It is necessary to rotate the nut using a special socket wrench, which usually comes with each tool.
- Nut rotation is counterclockwise
- When rotating, it is necessary to wedge the shaft with a hex wrench
Removal and replacement of the trimmer disc is carried out in the opposite sequence. For more information on how to attach a line reel to your lawn mower, see this resource.
Instructions on how to use the gasoline trimmer learning how to start the tool
Before using the tool, it must be started initially. How to start a lawn mower, we will consider in detail. To begin with, the tool should be placed on a flat surface so that the disc attached to the shaft does not catch on anything. After that, we proceed to start the engine of the lawn mowers:
- Initially, you should pump fuel into the starting system. To do this, press the primer 4-5 times (soft hemisphere on the carburetor)
- Next, turn the carburetor switch to OFF mode. This switch is responsible for opening and closing the air damper. Turning the switch to OFF mode will make the fuel mixture richer during startup.
- There is a switch on the handle near the accelerator. He is responsible for turning the ignition on and off. Before starting, you need to turn the ignition switch to mode 1
- Now you can start. To do this, hold the tool with one hand and pull the starter handle with the other. If the scythe engine does not start the first time, then do not despair. Start attempts must be made until the engine starts. This usually requires 2-3 reps.
- If, after 5 repetitions, the engine does not start, then the fuel suction should be repeated with a primer, and start again.
- As soon as the engine starts, the choke switch must be turned ON. This means that a mixture of fuel and air enters the cylinder.
- Let the tool idle for 15-30 seconds while the engine is warming up, after which you can start mowing
The above instructions for starting a lawn mower engine and trimmers are appropriate for a cold start. If the tool paused during operation, there is no need to close the throttle valve when restarting the engine that has not cooled down. You just need to turn on the ignition, and pull the starter handle.
Instructions on how to mow grass with a lawn mower and trimmer
With the onset of spring, vegetation appears on summer cottages and backyards of private houses, which must be dealt with. If it is ornamental vegetation, then it must be mowed with a lawn mower, and lawn mowers and trimmers are used to mow weeds and large thickets. These are prototypes of hand braids that require some skill to use. How to mow with a lawn mower according to the instructions, not many experts know. If you are asking yourself this question, then it’s time to understand the rules of mowing.
Step-by-step instructions on how to mow grass with a lawnmower with a disc and save fuel
It is required to start the lawn mowers mainly on the ground. Some craftsmen know how to wind up the instrument, holding it in their hands, but this is quite difficult and dangerous. After launching the tool, you can start using it. First, you should put on protective uniforms and an unloading belt. Depending on the model of the tool, the unloading belts can be carabiners or ties. If a carabiner or latch is used, then after starting the engine, the tool should be secured and started to work. If ties are used, then you need to put on the belt along with the working tool.
The belt should be balanced first. This means that despite the total weight of the tool, the mower’s hands should have a minimum load. The mower only moves the tool with his hands, and if the balancing is not done, then there will be rapid fatigue during work. All weight should be on the shoulders of the worker.
When the tool is ready for use, the instructions for mowing grass with a lawn mower are as follows:
- You need to make movements to the right and left slowly, while holding the trimmer at the same distance from the ground
- The mower’s movements should be unhurried (half a step). Experts call the movement of the mower duck steps
- The biggest challenge newbies face is keeping the RPM steady. The speed during the mowing process should be changed, depending on the density of the vegetation. If the grass is young, then it does not need to work at full capacity to cut it.
- The mower must feel the work of the tool. If the scythe cannot handle the grass, you need to increase the speed. At the same time, it is not recommended to use the tool constantly at full speed.
- Experts have developed such an optimal mode of mowing grass with petrol trimmers in one direction, you need to increase the speed above average (almost full throttle), and when the lawn mower is moved back, the gas is released, taking a step forward. This method is relevant for cases when it is necessary to carefully lay the grass in swaths.
Often among lawn mowers there are disputes about how to mow with a trimmer correctly, whether it is necessary to release the gas or whether it is better to work in a constant mode. We will understand these issues in detail.
- There is an opinion that it is better to mow with a lawn mower in one speed setting. This opinion is not correct. Operating at the same power not only increases fuel consumption, but also increases wear on parts. The gas release during the reverse movement of the tool is useful, since during this period the motor is cooled, as well as the CPG is lubricated. Gas discharge leads to the overlap of the throttle valve, as a result of which the fuel passes through the XX channel, and thereby the parts are lubricated
- Gas discharge allows not only mowing the grass, but also neatly placing it in swaths. Moving the tool in one direction allows you to mow, while the reverse movement creates a roll
- The disc only moves in one direction, so it just makes no sense to keep the tool at constant speed when moving in the opposite direction.
- Throttle release causes the cutting disc to coast to the crankshaft, and coasting is always beneficial
If you mow with a lawn mower in one speed setting (this is usually done by beginners), this will be reflected in an increase in fuel consumption and engine overheating. For comparison, you can imagine the work of a chainsaw. The sawman gives maximum speed only when necessary, but when the tree is cut down, the chainsaw works at XX, thereby cooling it down.
Getting to know the instrument
The question of how to mow correctly with a lawn mower and trimmer is mainly asked by beginners who have recently acquired these tools. Before starting work, it is recommended to know the design and device of the lawn mower. The main structural elements of the considered tools include:
- 2-stroke gasoline engine. There are tools with 4-stroke engines, the disadvantage of which is their heavy weight
- Fuel tank container for storing diluted gasoline with oil
- Reducer is a transmission mechanism by means of which torque is transmitted from the engine shaft to the executive body
- Starter device for starting petrol engine
- The rod is a rigid base that connects the engine to the working body
In addition to gasoline trimmers, manufacturers also produce electric and battery analogs. The main disadvantage of gasoline units in comparison with electric and battery units is their large mass. The weight of petrol-type trimmers reaches 8-10 kg (4-stroke), which depends primarily on the power. To simplify the operation of the tool, manufacturers supplement their units with special belts, which are also called unloading belts.
Knowing the design of the tool is necessary in order to learn how to work correctly. Unlike electric and battery-powered counterparts, petrol trimmers need not only be able to mow the grass, but also start the engine.
How to mow grass with a lawn mower
At the moment, there is a lot of textual information and material on the Internet about, how to mow grass with a lawn mower right. Summarizing various sources and recommendations of professionals, the main points can be noted:
- The correct mowing of grass begins with the choice of the cutting part of the tool in accordance with the volume of work planned.
- The trimmer spool as well as the disc must be compatible with the technical parameters of the garden tool.
- Safety rules require the use of personal protective equipment (goggles, gloves, shoes) and does not allow any unauthorized actions when the tool is turned on, except for the mowing process itself.
- The mowing technique is performed by gently moving the tool from right to left. This is due to the counterclockwise rotation of the cutter.
If we are talking about working on large areas, it is recommended to conditionally divide the space into rectangles or squares, while the terrain with a slope is processed by the tool from the bottom up, moving parallel to the slope. To avoid mechanical damage to the head, do not touch the bobbin to the ground surface and contact the bobbin with curbs and other hard objects.
How to mow with a lawn mower and safety
The first step is to install the cutter, which is attached to the gearbox, followed by fixing the curly washer. Next, a knife is put on by aligning the hole with the protrusion of the washer and further mounting the upper figured washer. Before properly mowing with a lawn mower, you need to prepare a working fuel mixture, which is a combination of high-quality gasoline and oil in a ratio of 25 to 1, respectively.
All surfaces with traces of spilled liquid must be wiped off after refueling. After making sure that all fasteners are fully tightened and that the adjusting tightenings are securely in place, place the tool on a hard, flat surface, set the throttle grip to the OFF position and the knob on the grip to the I mark.
Before, how to mow with a lawn mower, remember to pump the fuel mixture into the starting system by activating the valve located under the air filter of the tool several times. Hold your garden tool in one hand and pull the recoil starter cord with the other. When activating the powertrain of the tool, reorient the throttle grip to the ON mark. Let the tool idle for a while. Having fixed the equipment with a carabiner to the unloading system, pull the trigger and start work using the movement of the tool from right to left, keeping the plane of the cutting set parallel to the ground.
When performing the above manipulations, be sure to follow the technical safety rules. We are talking about the use of special goggles to protect the eyes, shoes with textured soles that provide good grip on the ground, textured gloves that protect the hands and guarantee an ergonomic fit to the handle, as well as noise-absorbing headphones.
How to mow with a lawn mower? How to mow with a lawn mower?
Owners of summer cottages, private houses and country cottages often ask the question of how to mow with a lawn mower so that the tool can effectively perform its utilitarian functions and serve for a long time. Household trimmers equipped with an internal combustion engine are focused on cutting grass and small shrubs. The configuration usually contains several cutters, each of which is aimed at working with:
- Soft grass. In this case, a cutting element is used in the form of a fishing line wound on a drum, moving at a speed of 9 thousand revolutions in 60 seconds.
- Rough thickets. Here, preference is given to metal knives, each of which is equipped with a different number of cutting teeth.
- Thick reeds and young shrubs. The ideal option would be discs with 40-80 teeth or four-blade cutters.
Before, how to mow with a lawn mower, it is recommended to carefully study both the device of the unit itself and the manufacturer’s recommendations for operation. By mowing the grass correctly, you can not only achieve the desired result with minimal effort, but also extend the service life of the garden tool. To make the trimmer easier to operate, be sure to use the supplied relief system with protective pad and length adjusters.
How to mow with a disc or line
Chainsaw, equipped with a disc, is accentuated for mowing tall and thick grass, as well as young growth of the bush, as it provides good performance. By the way, the disc does not grind the grass, but mows it entirely, which is especially important when harvesting hay.
But when you need to cope with small, but needing mowing shoots, it is recommended to use a trimmer with a line. In addition, mowing with a garden tool equipped with a fishing line is much safer than using a knife, since in contact with stones the functionality of the unit is preserved and the likelihood of injury to the operator is eliminated.
Before mowing the grass, we find out the parameters of the site
(to know which knives to take, how much fuel and time you need)
- The density of the grass;
- The hardness of the grass;
- Lodging of the grass;
- Weaving grass;
- (the height and thickness of the grass are not important)
- Plot boundaries;
- What irregularities (how to enter);
- The presence of hidden obstacles (remember)
- What not to cut (bushes, flowers, seedlings).
Mowing the grass in summer is a disaster, not just homework how to use the trimmer. If your yard or area is heavily overgrown with grass, you may be intimidated, but this part of the article will help you figure out how to cut grass with a trimmer is easier and less annoying.
How to cut grass with a trimmer head (trimmer spool, cutterhead, trimmer spool)
- First, walk around the entire area where you are going to mow the grass: determine the areas to cut with the trimmer head and pick up wires, bottles, debris, etc.
- Then screw a tool called the trimmer head, trimmer spool, trimmer spool or mowing head onto the trimmer output shaft, and attach an additional guard.
- Put on clothes that are not stingy with AL-KO and safety glasses or a visor on your face (plant sap splashes heavily during mowing).
- Keep the trimmer head (trimmer coil) slightly at an angle while working, but do not dig.
- When mowing the grass with the trimmer, look at the end of the string (it is he who does the job).
- Listen to the string while trimming: let it run at your own speed.
- Don’t slip or stumble!
- See what you mow and where you mow (remember that you are always looked at!).
- String consumption and wear on the trimmer head (mowing head, trimmer coil) increases among stones, bricks, concrete, metal fences, etc.
- To mow the grass with a trimmer and not damage the bark of trees and bushes, you can release a little gas or work with a string shortened to 10-12 cm.
- Wind the line tightly and evenly around the drum of the trimmer head (to avoid vibrations).
- Immediately after you have finished mowing with the trimmer head: Thoroughly clean the plastic guard and accessory guard with a screwdriver. And also wash the sight, the trimmer head itself and the entire outside of the lawn mower with warm water and a brush, until the acid of the plant sap has corroded the paint and dried.
- If we are mowing grass on a lawn, keep the trimmer head string horizontally low above the ground, and do not cling to the ground, as you can spoil the evenness of the mow, the lawn itself, and so as not to damage the trimmer.
Tips on how to cut grass
- We cut the grass when it is not very large. This will allow you to complete the job much easier and faster than if you mow a heavily overgrown lawn or yard. Large masses of grass, weeds, plants and the trimmer will be difficult to grind. In addition, there will be a lot of chopped grass on the surface, which must either be removed, or wait until it dries, or until it becomes compost, which is not very beautiful and can cause various diseases of the grass.
- Avoid mowing not grass, but fences, stones, bricksor any other hard objects, as this will greatly accelerate line wear and require more frequent replacement.
- Some will have to wear an orthopedic corset(although this may sound silly). Back support allows you to work longer and feel more comfortable.
How to properly mow the grass with a trimmer (more about the mowing technique)
The engine speed when mowing with a trimmer is set depending on the load on the engine, the thicker the grass and, naturally, the heavier the engine, the more boldly you need to open the hole (the throttle valve in the carburetor diffuser).
Try to keep the engine operating speed constant while mowing grass with the trimmer (slightly above average). or less gas only depending on the total engine load. It is not necessary to completely release the throttle (and immediately accelerate again) with each sweep of the streamer. So the clutch does not burn for long, and the edges on the drive shaft can overtake, and the overall wear of the trimmer (lawn mowers) increases sharply.
How to cut grass with a metal knife trimmer
- Walk around the area before mowing,
a) to determine:
plot boundaries, on which we mow the grass;
where are the plants in the grass that can’t be cut (flowers, bushes, seedlings);
b) to determine start place (you need to start mowing with a trimmer from the lightest area in order to create an open space to move to bómore grass it is better to see the mowing area);
c) to determine mowing direction (depending on the presence of ditches, slopes and grass slopes);
d) to determine mowing methods herbs:
in folds, if the area is flat with flat grass (so that there are fewer transitions);
with the transition back to a clean place, when mowing lodged grass (its slope should be directed forward);
mowing grass across a large slope (it is much easier to cut across a slope with a trimmer than going up and down a slope).
- We put a metal knife on the braid: weed or hay. Protection, i.E. Knife guard, mandatory (no additional protection for the trimmer head)
to mow the grass with a trimmer, you need to assemble in order: a driver cartridge, a metal knife (you must put it without skewing), a support cup, a mounting flange and screw on a nut (left-hand thread);
insert the locking pin and turn the metal knife to lock the gearbox output shaft;
tighten the nut with a wrench with a force of 3 5 kg / m;
- Dress up (to mow the grass):
lightweight and non-slip boots;
- When cutting grass with a trimmer with a metal knife, you need to set:
speed of movement of the knife, depending on the unevenness (to mow with the trimmer cleaner and faster);
working grip of the disc: between 8 and 12 o’clock (when the knife moves to the left);
reverse (can be working, cleaning or idle);
engine speed (by load);
on level: knife tilt angle and mowing width (more);
cutting height of the grass (to make it easier to cut with a trimmer or to make it cleaner);
where to move (along the ditch, along the slope of the grass, on the site).
Move the fuel and bag as you advance along the edge of the slope.
If the grass has fallen: you need to move the steering wheel forward and mow to the left with an inclination of the handles to the left (sector
11 o’clock) and to the right with an inclination of the handles to the right (sector
1 hour), and do not rush !, to mow the grass cleanly and not to dig the ground.
Purpose of the trimmer head (trimmer spool, mowing head, trimmer spool)
- To remove all unwanted vegetation under walls, along fences, curbs, around trees, poles, bushes, between tree stumps and other obstacles.
- To mow grass out of the reach of a lawnmower.
- To selectively cut thin grass and weeds before mowing a plot for hay.
- To cut the weeds between the plants.
- To chop the tops of potatoes in the garden before digging.
- To completely remove grass and weeds, for example from paths.
- To sweep (creates an air vortex from high rpm of the trimmer line).
How to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
There are several situations in which a scythe in a summer cottage or suburban area can be optimal:
- The rains passed, and the grass grew greatly;
- There is too much grass for the trimmer, but there is no lawn mower;
- You need to mow the grass in an inconvenient place for the lawnmower (uneven soil, near bushes or trees).
If the grass is too tall, more than 15 cm, then the trimmer will scatter it in the form of small debris throughout the area. In order to remove the mown vegetation quickly and without unnecessary debris, it is advisable to use a hand scythe. How to use it will be discussed in this article.
- Why mow the grass
- Where and when they mow the grass
- How to properly mow the grass: technique
- How to sharpen a braid with a bar
- The man who mows the grass
- Feedback from netizens
How to sharpen a braid with a bar
Sharpening a braid with a bar can be difficult for a beginner. Here, as in any other business, there is its own instruction:
- Lean the braid on the ground, while the blade and block should be in your hands;
- The tool in this position has two planes: upper and lower;
- The upper one is sharpened with a sliding motion along the blade from itself to the side;
- The lower plane is sharpened by moving the bar with an effort upward from itself forward.
Bar for sharpening braids
Where and when they mow the grass
The grass must be cut as it grows. Intensive growth of vegetation occurs at the end of April May, especially after rains.
The cut grass must be immediately removed from the site, as unharvested parts of the plants can grow on wet ground. Then you can mow once every 2-3 weeks, depending on the growth of the vegetation. If you do not start growth, then you can mow small shoots with a trimmer as they appear.
In hot weather, plant growth slows down and you need to mow less often. In the heat, you cannot mow the lawn too low, the grass will start to burn out.
The last mowing on the lawns is in October.
How to properly mow the grass: technique
A good mowing is ensured by a well-selected working tool and its preparation for work.
Instructions for preparing for mowing:
- The tool must be sharp and not dull while you mow. Sharpen it on an abrasive wheel. The width of the circle is 1.5-2 cm, the blade is moistened during sharpening so that it is wet. The lower part is sharpened.
- Chipping is performed using a special hammer. The purpose of the beating is to prevent rapid dullness of the blade when mowing.
- Both planes of the braid are sharpened with a bar. If you have no experience in sharpening such a tool, then it is advisable to find a professional.
- Starting position of the mower: take the tool; in work, the torso will bend slightly, following the movement of the arms; the supporting leg is slightly in front; the trunk is slightly turned to the left.
- The swing of the mower will consist of two parts: first, the tool goes in one direction, then in the other.
- Swings are not wide; arms move like pendulums from right to left and then a second swing from right to left.
- Smooth swings in the hands there should be no tension, otherwise you will quickly get tired.
- For comfortable mowing, the handle should be at waist level.
- When the mower is mowing, the heel of the scythe rakes up the cut plants and folds them on the side of the cut. It turns out a grass swath.
The mow must be straight, its width must not change. : how to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
Why mow the grass
Weed grass has good adaptability to any growing conditions and grows everywhere. If the weeds are not destroyed, then in a couple of years they will turn any area into a wild field. Weeds reproduce not only by seeds, but also by rhizomes. Thus, it will take a lot of time to remove some types of vegetation.
Growing weeds quickly develop the useful area of the site, intensively use nutrients and moisture from the soil. It is impossible to destroy uninvited flora that grows next to useful plants using chemical means.
This will lead to the death of all vegetation. It is for these reasons that it is imperative to mow the grass. To use your time rationally, you need to choose the right mowing tool:
- You need to mow with a lawn mower on a flat large area of a lawn or a recreation area;
- It is convenient to work with a trimmer in any areas in the event that the grass height is from 5 to 10 cm.
- Sidelong mow tall grass or vegetation on uneven ground.
When choosing a tool, it must be remembered that the older the braid, the better metal was used to make it. Modern braids are significantly inferior in quality to Soviet ones. The size of the tool is indicated by a number from 3 to 9. The number determines the length of the blade: the larger the number, the longer the braid.
The man who mows the grass
The mower puts his legs so that a comfortable support is formed during movement (the distance between the heels is about 35 cm) and brings the supporting leg forward.
- The swing consists of two techniques: the tool moves to the right, then a return movement to the left. The blade cuts the plants. Try to grab no more than 15 cm of grass.
- After 1-2 strokes, step forward with the left foot.
- Again 2 swings and a step forward with the right foot.
- Do not slouch as your back muscles will get tired and you will not be able to work for long.
- Watch your breathing technique. Take your time, just try to do the movements correctly.
Now that you know how to mow and how to sharpen a braid, remember that this is a traumatic tool and must be handled with care, especially if there are other people around you. Also, do not get distracted while mowing, so as not to injure the slanting leg.