How To Start A Stihl Saw Video
How to start a Stihl chainsaw Description of the process of starting Stihl chainsaws: 170, 180, 250 and their modifications. How to start the saw after a standstill and much more.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such comments can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long downtime.
The fact is that it is necessary to take care of a successful start after downtime and properly prepare the saw for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1. 2 ml of the fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
What happens when the primer is pumping fuel, and how does it help to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumps fuel into the carburetor.
The pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
How to start the saw “Stihl”?
- Chainsaw “Stihl”
Working with a chainsaw begins directly with starting it. And it is at this stage that the most common problem often arises: the launch does not take place. Puzzling over how to start a Stihl saw, many run to the nearest workshops and talk about its breakdown. And if the saw is new, then they generally try to return it back to the seller. In fact, the reason is not in the saw malfunction, but only in its features, which should be taken into account when starting.
If the saw is new, then you should not throw its instructions too far, because it describes important and main actions that cannot be neglected. You can also find other tips there. For example, how to sharpen a saw correctly. The saw must be prepared before starting. To do this, special protection is removed from the tire, and oil for the chain and gasoline for the engine are poured into special tanks, which is diluted with two-stroke oil into a kind of gasoline mixture. It is also important to set the chain tension.
On the recommendation of specialists or the same instructions, starting the chainsaw begins with activating the chain brake. Some models are equipped with a decompression valve, therefore it is recommended to press it in order to quickly start the engine of the chainsaw. The same actions are recommended to be done with the fuel pump, pressing which will significantly reduce the number of pumping. When it comes to how to sharpen the saw correctly, then it should be in a neutral state, and all the actions described should not be applied to it.
Now the combination lever is set to the cold start state, that is, first you need to activate the throttle lever, and then press the combination lever itself all the way down. When starting, the saw should be placed on a level surface, preferably a hard floor, and the saw blade should not be in contact with the surface. The stability of the chainsaw is ensured by gripping the main handle with the left hand, and with the foot. The lowest one. Before choosing a reciprocating saw, it is important that it is equipped with additional handles to ensure safety and ease of use.
Then slowly pull the starter rope with your free hand. When resistance is felt, the cable is pulled sharply up several times. At this time, the engine starts, but turns off quickly. This does not mean that it is already time to think about how to repair the saw. You just need to move the combined lever to the half-throttle position, that is, one position. The engine is now started using the starter rope. The lever immediately moves to its original position, and a finger briefly presses the throttle lever. Now the chainsaw can be slowly raised and started to use carefully, be sure to observe all safety measures.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw (Stihl MS-180). The first start and start without a starter
Chainsaws differ slightly in design features, but in most cases the assembly principle is carried out according to two standard schemes. For many devices, the instructions contain information about the need to activate the emergency brake before starting the activation procedure. You should first master the device of the plant and study the main ways of correcting breakdowns, then a person will have the opportunity to fully operate the device. The article will talk about how to start a chainsaw.
Scheme of a standard mechanism
- Step 1. Before starting the benzoil, it is necessary to move the flap, which acts as an adjustment lever, downwards, in comparison with the optimal position. First you need to press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met is it possible to move the damper normally to the extreme stop from below. It is necessary to simultaneously move the damper and hold down the gas button. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for correct operation.
- Step 2. The starter handle should be pulled, and this is done in jerks, not soft movements. This action requires the use of moderate force. These jerks should be continued until the start of the chainsaw ignition is clearly heard, which ends very quickly (dies down). After the implementation of this measure, the position of the damper must be moved one step up.
- Step 3. Starter handle twitches again then until the system starts. When the device starts to actively work, a high speed is immediately noticeable, since the throttle stick is at a high level. It must be remembered that sometimes chainsaws are supplied without a starter, then all actions with this element are released.
- Step 4. The gas button is pressed once and then released, then the position of the damper will immediately become optimal. The speed drops, that is, the intensity of the chain revolutions.
- Step 5. The already warmed-up chainsaw starts when the lever is set to the “1” position, and then the actions are performed to turn on the device.
- Step 6. To turn off the engine of the device, it is necessary to put the damper in the highest position.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing a similar operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to develop your resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure if the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by poor contact, provided by the high voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not without its drawbacks. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank is joined loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, however, in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation on this matter: the first thing to do for those who have encountered a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution. You need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need check petrol supply, air filter, and then make sure the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often such malfunctions are caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, because of which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the cause of the saw not starting in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to clog up and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, and then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have dense and stable stream of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term use of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels with a plug, or the reason should be sought in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure whether this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it suffices to say that human speech creates noise at the level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- The tire is designed to measure 350 mm with a pitch of 0.325 inches.