How to Wrap Stihl Trimmer Correctly
Owners of private homes know how necessary this type of tool is, as a trimmer. It can be gasoline and electric, but they differ in the design of power units. To cut grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during application, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
What you need to know about fishing line for trimmer
A fishing line is a consumable that consists of nylon and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, grass mowing occurs, which is ensured by rotating the tool head with high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gas trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3 , 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting tool should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass mowing, but also the life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it’s time to change the reload tool. With the onset of spring, this issue becomes more and more popular, so it’s time to understand the step-by-step instructions for replacing the fishing line in the trimmer coil.
How to remove the reel from the trimmer and remove the fishing line
Initially, before you put fishing line in the trimmer coil, you need to remove it from there. A coil or pickup is a device that is located inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. The heads come in different types (depending on the manufacturers), however, the principle of replacing fishing line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unwind the manual head on the trimmer has the following form:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from contamination. Use two fingers of one hand to hold the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are located symmetrically to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, the fishing reel should be removed from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it is dismantled with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with the appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew it is necessary to hold the base of the drum with one hand, and the second to perform unscrewing with a screwdriver counterclockwise
- After that, you can proceed to dismantle. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all its strength, but slightly swaying to the sides, slowly disengage from the metal shaft on which the drum is mounted
- When reinstalling, put the head into the slots of the tetrahedral shape
This process is not difficult, and as you know, dismantling the entire head is not necessary if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even sometimes impossible
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then a screwdriver or bits of the appropriate size should be selected for twisting to prevent the faces from licking on the head
- When assembling the installation, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, solid oil or machine oil
- If the faces on the screw are licked, then you can use special clamping tongs to unscrew it
- There are drums that do not require pre-disassembly. To dismantle them, grasp it and turn it clockwise in the opposite direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to clarify the process of replacing the trimmer fishing line. The below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
How does a head with a fishing line on a lawn mower why do you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally but also internally. Most drums have a clamping spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble a trimmer head without a spring, i.E. On a manual type head. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above described instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head is a coil that is seated on the slots, preventing its free movement
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A line is wound around the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is from 1 to 4 meters
- During the execution of the work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the fishing line, the protruding part of the drum is clamped, whereby it disengages from the slots. In this case, the fishing line is wound off the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, you should release the pressing, and continue the work of cutting the grass
The advantage of a fishing line tool is that this consumable item does not require sharpening compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or tree comes across a path, the fishing line simply comes off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and the tool motor, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and arrangement of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of refueling fishing line into the trimmer coil. Indeed, it is this moment that causes the majority of special tool owners difficulties.
Instructions with a step-by-step description of how to wind the trimmer coil and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip that will not allow you to make a mistake with the use of appropriate equipment.
If the information on the reel about what diameter the fishing line can be refueled, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the snap, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
Method 1. How to wind the fishing line correctly or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to pre-prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is a simple way to find out the required amount of fishing line, the refueling of which will be needed to charge the coil. To do this, the equipment should be wound inside the coil until it is equal to the side protrusions. Equipment should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the less its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly rig the equipment into the tip of the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, a piece of fishing line that has been prepared to install in a reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude 10-15 cm more than the second
- After that, the second end is taken from the other side, and doubled up. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The slot in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we find out the direction of winding the fishing line. If you wind the equipment in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the fishing line, and wrap it in the right direction, you should inspect the surface of the reel. It should indicate the direction of winding (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). How the direction indicator on the coil looks, shown in the photo below
- This arrow pointer can also be labeled, as in the example above, “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is not on the coil, then look at the head. On the head there is a direction of its rotation, and in order to properly wind the line, you should wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow pointer. So, if the arrow is on tip, then you need to wind in the specified direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should proceed to winding. Each end should lead in its groove. If there is no separator, then fit the equipment in the appropriate distribution order
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you need to do the following. Place a short part in the hole of the tip side wall, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the reel into the head, previously skipping the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and pulling the ends of the fishing line, we disengage them from the temporary clamps in the reel wall. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch
- On this, the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer is completed, and if necessary, you can cut only the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the drum assembled on the instrument
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge mowing equipment in a lawn mowing ground. What is the difference, and how is the second method of refueling fishing line on the lawn mowing coil carried out, we will find out in detail.
Method 2. How to properly put fishing line on a lawn mowing coil with a photo description and
The second method differs from the first in that not a single piece of equipment is charged into the coil, but segments of two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two pieces of fishing line into the tip of the lawn mowing is the same with the first method, and to make sure of this, below is a detailed instruction:
- There are two equal lengths of material that can be used.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with the help of which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half.
- Brace fishing line should catch on the bracket, and make it winding in the direction of the arrow
- The tooling is wound up until a segment of 10-15 cm remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the tip
- Similarly, manipulations with the second end of the fishing line
- The tabs start up in the holes of the head, and then, removing the snap-in from the temporary fasteners in the coil, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in a lawn mower will help not only correctly, but also quickly perform the replacement procedure. Assembly of the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be performed without removing the head, but in this case you will need to conveniently fix the tool. instruction is presented below.
Tips and tricks on how to wind a fishing line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and tricks that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced mowers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations read as follows:
- Install the cover until it clicks. Over, this is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of clips. If one lock does not snap in, then when you start the tool, the drum may pop out and injure a person
- Do not wrap the fishing line with a strong pulling it, as well as in an amount greater than you can insert it into place. It’s better not to wring the snap than it will be more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of the inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you do not own the tool with two leads of the fishing line, but with one (usually these are low-power units), then the winding process is carried out in the same sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of a middle rim between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, it is necessary to first check the operability of the tool, and only then proceed to mowing the grass. If you do not perform a preliminary check, then the forest can unwind, and injure a person
The result of the work done is the following. After the replacement of new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials serve less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stalked grass with fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.
Guaranteed production of a factory trimmer refueling inevitably calls for a change in fishing line. Having a very indicative idea that how to fill fishing line into the reel of a trimmer without the help of others, newcomers take up this business without hunting. But with some abilities, the development of this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the similar annotation presented below will greatly facilitate such a process.
First, to wind the line, you need to remove the reel (bobbin, spool) from the trimmer. Certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and the type of product itself:
- Small electronic trimmers with a working arrangement of the motor and the coil at the bottom usually have side buttons on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the reel, together with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, is disconnected, although the lower one remains on the trimmer. It is better to create a bobbin analysis on an even, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not pop out and is not even lost;
- Electronic and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar without the ability to install a knife, you have coils with a special lamb: in similar designs, you should hold the spool with one hand in a stationary position, and turn the lamb nut on the bar counterclockwise with the other. After disconnecting the nut, the entire reel is removed.
- Electronic and petrol trimmers with the possibility of installing a knife on a straight bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. For the motionlessness of the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and during leisurely rotation, such mutual placement is achieved when the screwdriver enters the inside of the hole and the bobbin is fixed. Then the coil body scrolls clockwise (with the left thread) and is removed from the trimmer.
How to wind a fishing line into a trimmer coil (spool).
For the second and third versions, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled by different methods. In bobbins with a lamb a lamb is turned out, in coils with latches latches-clamps are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the spool are threaded, it is enough to turn them by hand in the opposite direction until completely unscrewed.
Almost every novice when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. Despite the fact that changing the fishing line is very simple, you must learn to do it right. Replacing the fishing line with proper dexterity will take no more than five minutes. Just enough to constantly practice it. This article will discuss replacing fishing line with Patriot trimmers as an example.
In order to change the fishing line, you must remove the old one (if it was).
A coil is a part of the trimmer design, which is located inside the head of the lawn mowing, drum or reel. Depending on the manufacturer, the heads may be different. But this article only discusses Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now you need to understand how to properly remove the head from the trimmer and how to remove the drum from it.
Instructions on how to unwind the hand head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head of dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, it is necessary to raise the lawn mowing head up and, holding the casing, remove the special protective cover, dressed on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the coil from the drum. The reel is easily removable even with one hand, because it is not fixed inside the drum.
- The drum itself is bolted to the trimmer. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the reel, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not fixed by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the reel out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installing the reel and drum in its original place is performed according to the inverse algorithm.
Before the process of refueling the fishing line, you should make sure that a thread suitable for the trimmer has been purchased. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to directly replace the thread itself, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of fishing line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the coil itself. If it is not possible to determine the exact length, it can be done as follows: insert and twist the thread to such a state that the reel is fully charged (the level of the fishing line compares with the protrusions on the sides of the reel). Care must be taken to ensure that the line sits in the reel evenly.
Do not forget that a thick thread will be shorter than a thin one.
The instructions for refueling fishing line are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled to the larger, so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, an indent of 0.15 m should be maintained.
- Locate the slot inside the baffle of the coil. Carefully thread the loop that came out earlier into this slot.
- To continue work, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. There should be an arrow on it.
- If the pointer arrow could not be found, then it is entirely possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of movement of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to fill the reel with fishing line. It is worth paying attention that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. When wrapping the thread, these grooves must be followed, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds almost the entire thread, you should take the short end (do not forget about the protrusion of 0.15 m) and stretch it into the hole located in the wall of the coil. Now you need to repeat this action similarly with the other end (on the other hand).
- Put the coil itself in the head of the spool, before threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in its place. After that, you need to take the ends of the fishing line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the cover back in place (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- It remains to perform “cosmetic work”. You need to see if the thread came out too long. You can start a trimmer and check in practice whether everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
Although winding a fishing line is a very simple task, many beginners may not wind a fishing line correctly. Below are the most common errors.
- Many people when measuring a thread think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less, and, accordingly, they do not have enough fishing line. Do not be afraid to measure a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a hurry, some people do not observe the filling grooves inside the spool and wind the thread at random. This leads to the “flight” of fishing line from the reel and can even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate fishing line. This error is most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the fishing line, but also its type. You should not use the first caught fishing line for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, it is not necessary to use a thread on young grass if it is necessary to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until it is fully wound and collected. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check whether everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of the refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon go out of operation.
Beginners are quite prone to make mistakes, therefore You must follow the tips in this article.
To learn how to replace a fishing line on a Patriot trimmer, see below.