No Spark On The Stihl 180 Chainsaw
Identifying ignition faults
It is very important for a lumberjack to make a correct diagnosis when his sawing tool starts to “mope”, or “falls into a coma.” This, I repeat once again, is extremely important, because the consequences of an incorrect diagnosis can lead to both unreasonable expenses, wasted time and even nervous breakdowns.
The fact is that inexperienced lumberjacks, often, the failure of the chainsaw is associated with a carburetor malfunction. Indeed, in wet or snowy weather with intensive work in a felling area, it is possible to correlate some signs of a chainsaw failure with a carburetor malfunction. If at the same time the “whims” of the carburetor were systematically observed, the prerequisites for an error in the diagnosis of a malfunction only increase. The operator begins ineffectively adjusting the carburetor, cleaning, blowing and drying it. It is even worse if he is convinced that he is right and decides to purchase a new carburetor. However, a spare carburetor will not be superfluous)).
To immediately avoid such a mistake, you just need to check the spark on the candle. In general, in order to exclude any malfunction in the ignition system, it is necessary to start precisely by checking the spark on the spark plug. Plain and simple! But for some reason, some lumberjacks began to ignore this procedure and climb into the carburetor. Although…
Read the same. Identification and elimination of obvious faults of the chainsaw.
To determine the reason why the chainsaw does not start or stalls when starting, it is necessary to troubleshoot the tool. The essence of the procedure is to consistently inspect the condition and operation of the main working elements of the saw motor. At this stage, we check:
- Spark plug present;
- Fuel supply;
- Filter status;
- The operation of the breather of the stalling unit built into the fuel cap;
- Discharge duct function.
In the operation of the engine, the following disadvantages are most often observed:
- The engine does not start at all;
- Starts up, but immediately stalls;
- Does not develop adequate power;
To find the cause of the problem, it is necessary to analyze the probable prerequisites in order by way of elimination. Let’s go through this chain so that you know how to find a flaw in a chainsaw if it occurs.
No sparks chainsaw. A little about contact and electronic ignition
When I started working at the leshoz, in the late 90s, we were cutting down the old Urals, and logging at the Khuskvarna 262. The timber was good quality, so the bumper only had time to divide the logs into ridges an endless stream of bundles. Ignition in the Urals was no longer cam (contact), but electronic. By the way, for novice lumberjacks who have not come across contact ignition, but who are interested, I want to briefly clarify about the old type of ignition.
Cam contact ignition on old models of chainsaws (“Friendship”, “Ural”) was distinguished by its simplicity, and most importantly, it did not have any electronics (various electronic boards) in its design. The “cams” operated as a breaker, the current was supplied by a high-voltage coil. Any experienced lumberjack could fix an ignition malfunction at that time in a short working time. However, the ignition was too often “covered”. The disadvantage of cam ignition was an “open” spark, which negatively affected the metal contacts themselves. over time they were covered with carbon deposits, a layer of which grew and the spark worsened and disappeared. I had to clean the contacts, set the gap again. Another argument against cam ignition is greater size and weight than electronic (this comparison is relevant for modern gearless saws).
Electronic ignition, in turn, is a module that includes not only the coil, but also the electronic board. On the first “Urals” with electronic ignition, as far as I remember, the electronic board was filled with mica (epoxy resin), which, in case of repair, was melted and the board was removed. Later they began to use a sealant. Although it is difficult to call it a board, since these are separate radio components. triac, diodes, capacitor, resistor. There were two coils. high voltage and low voltage, which were located opposite each other. There was also an additional coil (spark) under the low-voltage coil, which “struck a spark”. Honestly, we never repaired electronic ignition in the Urals and gave it to the electromechanical workshop of the local LPK, where it was revived for us in a short time.
How to check the candle correctly
It is not worth excluding the malfunction of the glow plug itself. Nowadays there is a lot of counterfeit fuel for chainsaws. A poor-quality mixture directly affects the “lifespan” of the glow plug.
We unscrew the glow plug from the engine and inspect it carefully. if it is damp, then it is filled with a fuel mixture and, indeed, the cause of the malfunction may be the carburetor. If the spark plug is dry, check for a spark. The defective plug should be removed immediately and replaced with a known good plug.
Visually, a candle defect can be guessed by the following signs:
- Layering or deposits (slag, varnish) on the electrodes;
- Non-uniform color and shape of electrodes;
- Soot bloom, oil bloom;
- Molten center electrode;
First, make sure that the ignition key is turned on when checking. Exactly. It happens that the operator, having muffled the intermittently working saw, begins to check the spark plug with the ignition off.
The unscrewed (serviceable) glow plug, without removing it from the cap, must be attached with a thread (“skirt”) or a side electrode directly to the cylinder. The contact must be reliable! Holding the candle by the cap with one hand, jerk the starter with the other hand and observe the presence of a spark on the candle between the electrodes.
Malfunction of the carburetor
If all the actions described above did not lead to success, perhaps the reason for the inoperability of the chainsaw lies in a malfunction of the carburetor.
Stihl Chainsaw Missing Spark.
Chainsaw malfunctions and repairs
Usually, a failure in the operation of chainsaws is caused by a malfunction of the motor or the appearance of breakdowns in its other nodes.
- Malfunctioning ignition;
- Problems in the fuel supply system;
- Piston or cylinder malfunctions.
In other nodes, most often malfunctions appear due to failures of the brake mechanism.,
On / off button
A frequent breakdown of the ignition system is a malfunction of the shutdown switch. To check it, the wires are disconnected from the module and the operation of the saw is checked. If there is a spark, it’s the switch.
Chainsaw ignition module (coil) problems
Husqvarna chainsaw ignition coil
The switch and the ignition module that regulates its operation can often fail. The coil may also be faulty. If all elements of the ignition system are in good order, but there is no spark, suspect the module and the coil. And the problem of a malfunction of these elements is that it is impossible to repair the module or fix part of the coil. they need to be replaced. Of course, if possible, it is better to put the module from some old saw and see if this is the case. After all, you can elementarily make a mistake at some stage and suspect what actually works.
You should not trust all kinds of testers. they often show false information about the health of the ignition system. Only diagnostics with another module or coil will be valid.
If the electronic module is bad, there is such a symptom: as soon as the chainsaw heats up, a very weak spark is emitted. Also, after refueling, the unit may not start. This is due to the fact that the coil or module gets very hot, their resistance increases, so the spark weakens.
If there are breakdowns in the ignition system, and there is no experience in repairing them, you should not try to repair everything yourself. Elementary things, such as checking the integrity of a candle or wires, can be carried out at home, but more complex diagnostics, and even more so, the replacement of units should be carried out by professionals. And then you can be sure of the quality of the work performed.
The main malfunctions of the ignition system of chainsaws
Roughly understanding how the ignition system of chainsaws of Chinese or domestic production works, you can already figure out what problems there may be with this mechanism and how to fix them.
Ignition scheme of the Druzhba chainsaw
Chainsaw ignition scheme Friendship
Chainsaw ignition. Device, circuits, malfunctions.
The chainsaw ignition system is a whole complex of elements with the help of which a spark appears when the engine is started. It is needed in order to ignite the fuel and bring the engine into a state of full-fledged long-term operation. The main element of the ignition system is the spark plug, which must be ignited whenever the engine is in the desired cycle. And although the system is reliable and well thought out, sometimes it needs to be repaired, so the user needs to know how his chainsaw works, and also what he can do to repair its ignition system.
High voltage wire
Next, check the spark plug wires. They can often run in such a way that many bends are observed. In those places, the wire can be damaged, while it looks perfect. Next, inspect the spark plug cap of the ignition wire. There should be no brown coating on it. If there is one, it means that the spark is not firing in the right place, but in all parts around the ceramic insulator. The cap can also be damaged. cracks, chips. The check must be carried out carefully, because due to the damaged insulating layer, you can get an electric shock.
How the ignition of a chainsaw works
Most often, breakdown occurs due to the spark plug. It is worth checking if the insulator is damaged or the electrode is not worn out. They check the entire candle for integrity and the absence of defects. this is the integrity of the wires from the coil, and the presence of insulating material, etc.
The device of the ignition system of modern chainsaws
Magneto Stihl MS 180
Ignition systems used to be rather unreliable, but now they have improved. So, in their control system there are elements that regulate the momentum depending on what the saw speed is. This allows the motor to run more efficiently, which increases the overall efficiency of the tool. In addition, such elements are important because they make it easier to start the saw initially.
An equally important fact is the reliability of modern systems. If earlier the ignition failed very often, now all its components are so strong and of high quality that they rarely need repair.
So, a modern chainsaw ignition system is a flywheel magneto, a spark plug, a wire and an ignition off button. Distinguish between contact and non-contact magneto. The device of the first is quite simple: permanent magnets (installed in the rim of the flywheel), an ignition coil, a capacitor and a breaker. The coil, in turn, includes the core and the primary and secondary windings of the transformer. Another important element is the spark plug. Its design is as follows: center and side electrodes, insulator, outer case.
The breaker and the primary winding of the coil are connected in series. The breaker is turned off due to the presence of a cam on the crankshaft. The primary winding is connected in series not only with the breaker, but also with the off button. Magneto is mounted in the crankcase on the left, secured by the base on two studs and nuts.
The flywheel magnets generate a magnetic field that crosses the coil. Due to this, if the contacts in the primary winding are closed, a weak current is generated. Accordingly, when the contacts are open, there is no magnetic field and an EMF is induced in the secondary winding. This generates a high voltage current, which is supplied to the spark plug and gives a spark to ignite the fuel. At this moment, the piston is almost near the top dead center (4 mm below it).
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not devoid of disadvantages. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and fills a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leakage of the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank joins loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, but in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation in this regard: the first thing to do for those who have encountered a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution. you need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need to check the supply of gasoline, the air filter, and then make sure that the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often such malfunctions are caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the cause of the saw not starting in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to get clogged and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, and then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have a strong and stable jet of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start up hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term operation of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels that have a plug, or the reason should be looked for in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure if this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. A two-stroke engine helps the device to perform its working functions, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it is enough to say that human speech creates noise at a level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- Designed tire measures 350mm with 0.325 ” pitch.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, and also to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
- For many owners, the question regarding the correct idle speed after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks is relevant for many owners. According to experts, there is no need to worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing engine speed in order to restore normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler as this part may be causing the malfunction. This operation is easy enough. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation due to a faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to troubleshoot a malfunction, it is preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not every one of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-troubleshooting there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
Faulty plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case, it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only have to be thrown away. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing a similar operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to the depletion of its resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for this problem. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by a weak contact provided by the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most demanded is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many have had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor with which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the nozzle, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. over, this principle remains regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
The chainsaw simplifies many operations. However, for a long time, she cannot demonstrate her original level of performance. Therefore, at some point, problems may arise. Naturally, the owner can eliminate some malfunctions on his own, but in any case there is a risk that he will incorrectly determine them, and this is fraught with the fact that by his actions he can completely disable the tool. Therefore, it is advisable not to take the initiative, but to entrust this work to a specialist.
Defective crankshaft bearings
With a defect in the crankshaft bearings, a slight backlash is observed on it. You can check for backlash by shaking the flywheel of the Stihl 180 chainsaw from side to side. If there is a backlash, then, under the action of its magnets, the flywheel is attracted to the contacts of the ignition coil, since the backlash on the bearings allows it to do this and as a result the spark disappears.
Algorithm for checking for lack of fuel supply
- Unscrew the candle;
- Using a syringe, pour 1-2 cubes of the fuel mixture into the spark plug hole;
- Install the candle and put on the high-voltage wire cap;
- Set the engine control lever to the hot start position;
- Pull the starter several times.
If, after several movements with the starter, the Stihl 180 chainsaw started up and immediately stalled, then the suspicions of the lack of fuel supply were confirmed and you can proceed to further diagnostics of the fuel line.
Stihl 180 fuel system malfunctions
In some cases, as a rule, in the presence of a spark on the spark plug, when inspecting it, you can see that it has a wet coating, this indicates an excessive supply of fuel to the combustion chamber and, as a consequence, the impossibility of igniting the fuel mixture.
Engine “purge” algorithm
Important: under no circumstances carry out a “purge” of the engine with the ignition on and near an open flame.
- Unscrew the candle;
- Turn the Stihl 180 chainsaw upside down and drain off excess fuel;
- In the inverted state, pull the chainsaw starter several times (thus, under the influence of compression, excess fuel will be removed from the cylinder);
- Install the plug and the cap of the high-voltage wire in place;
- Set the engine control lever to the hot start position;
- Pull the starter several times and start the engine.
If everything is in order with the Stihl chainsaw and the cold start algorithm was simply violated, then after the “purge” it should start. Otherwise, the fault must be sought in the carburetor.
Defective spark plug
The first thing to do is to check the performance of the candle.
This is pretty easy to do. The candle is inserted into the cap of the high-voltage wire and pressed against the engine cylinder, after which the starter moves several times, if there is no spark between the electrodes of the spark plug, then it is faulty or the ignition module is faulty.
In order to know for sure that the problem is in the spark plug, it is necessary to check the known good one in the same way. If, as a result of the check, a spark appears, then the problem has been found and to eliminate the malfunction we replace the spark plug with a new one.
Checking the pulse from the engine crankcase
The fuel pump on the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is installed directly in the carburetor and works under the influence of impulses from the crankcase of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. The impulse is transmitted through a pulse channel in the rubber pipe connecting the cylinder to the carburetor.
Clogging of the channel is fraught with the appearance of problems with the supply of fuel or its complete absence. To check the pipe, it is necessary to remove the air filter housing and the carburetor, then check the channel for clogging with a thin metal wire.
Another reason associated with the absence of an impulse in the pipe channel is the depressurization of the engine crankcase, which results in air leakage from it and a decrease or complete cessation of its supply to the fuel pump. Depressurization results in a partial or complete loss of the fuel pump performance. To check the tightness of the crankshaft oil seals, and indeed the crankcase of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, a special vacuum gauge is used, and since it is a special-purpose tool, it is mainly available only in service centers. The question arises, what to do?
You can check the impulse supply using a syringe on the engine with the carburetor removed. You will need to draw a little oil into the syringe to lubricate the engine and squeeze it out into the impulse channel of the pipe, then pull the starter. If the impulse does not pass, the oil will remain in the channel and you should look for the cause deeper, disassemble the engine and check the oil seals. If the oil is squeezed out of the channel, then the problem may be hidden in the fuel pump itself.
There is no spark on the Stihl 180 chainsaw
The main malfunction due to which the stihl ms 180 chainsaw does not start may be the absence of a spark between the electrodes on the spark plug. Symptoms of this malfunction can be detected by unscrewing the plug and inspecting. Having discovered during inspection that the spark plug is wet, it is necessary to start looking for the reason for the absence of a spark on the spark plug.
Replacing the crankshaft bearings
It is better to replace the crankshaft bearings in a specialized service, since when replacing, you will need to completely disassemble the Stihl 180 chainsaw and remove all its main components.
Without some experience or at least the skills of repairing similar chainsaws, it will not work to replace the crankshaft bearings efficiently.
So, we figured out the absence of a spark, but what to do if there is a spark, and there is no answer to the question of why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start. The reason may be hiding in the fuel system.
Fuel does not flow
This type of malfunction, like the others, has its own characteristic symptom. It consists in the fact that the working spark plug, on which there is a spark, will be absolutely dry. You can check suspicions of a lack of fuel supply using the following algorithm.