Nozzles For Angle Grinder For Woodwork
Angle grinder is one of the most popular tools for processing various surfaces. Whether it is metal, stone or concrete. It is also called an angle grinder. Typically, an angle grinder is used to process metal or stone workpieces. But in some cases, an angle grinder can also be used as a woodworking tool.
Is the angle grinder suitable for wood?
This question is asked by most owners of an angle grinder. Yes, the angle grinder can be used to process wooden surfaces. But not always. According to its purpose, the angle grinder is not intended for woodwork. Special nozzles, which are recommended to perform work on wood processing, began to be supplied to the market of carpentry tools not so long ago.
The main operations that this tool can perform on wooden surfaces are grinding and peeling work. For their implementation, it is worth using special nozzles. It is important to remember. In no case should you cut wood in a circle around metal or stone. This can lead, at best, to a breakdown of the tool, and even to injuries. Saw blades can get stuck in a wooden workpiece, making the tool simply fly out of hand. Also, cutting wheels tend to overheat when cutting wood. In this case, the circle may fall apart and fall into the face.
In general, there are three main models of cutting wheels for an angle grinder. These are sawing, with diamond dusting and abrasive disks.
Diamond coated grinding wheels are designed for machining metal surfaces. They are distinguished by high strength and wear resistance. This type of nozzle can also sharpen dull tools. Carving wood with this circle is not recommended. Abrasive discs are designed for grinding and have different grain sizes. An abrasive is the material that makes up the foundation of a circle. Quite often, electrocorundum or silicon carbide can be used as such constituent components.
Saw blades are designed for cutting and have a large classification. They can be designed for different materials. But not all of these types are recommended for cutting or processing wood materials. There are separate nozzle options for wood.
It is worth cutting wood with an angle grinder, only using specially designed metal discs with teeth along the edges. There are some disc options that can be used for carving wood. Normally, wood cutting by a grinder is shallow. For cutting large workpieces, it is better to use a circular saw, which is specially designed for processing these materials. But some grinder tips allow you to cut or process small workpieces.
These nozzles can differ in their purpose for the following types. Cutting wheels, peeling models and discs for polishing or grinding.
Among the cutting options for circles on wood, two are worth highlighting.
- Circle circle. This nozzle is a circle with teeth. Typically, these have a maximum diameter of up to 180 mm. In large circles there are soldering. There are circles more compact in which soldering is absent. In general, circular discs are considered a “dangerous” version of the nozzle on the grinder for cutting wooden workpieces. Therefore, it is desirable to choose circular disks that have protection against jamming it in the material. This is due to the fact that the teeth on this version of the disk are slightly apart.
- Chain circles. These models are the best suited for working with an angle grinder with tree species. The risk of jamming the tool in the workpiece is minimized. A chain used on chain saws is pulled onto the rotating base of such a nozzle. At the same time, the chain is not fixed on the circle, which reduces the risk of handling the tool. That is, even if during operation the chain flies off the circle, then the circle itself will not break and will not fly apart, as this can happen with other models.
Also worth noting wheels with small and large number of teeth. In this case, their number will depend on the diameter of the circle. On the small diameter discs (up to 150 mm) 3 teeth are installed. Disks of larger diameter have 4 teeth. For woodwork, it is advisable to use small diameter discs, i.E. With 3 teeth. Large discs are usually used by specialists to process large workpieces. For standard household work, small disks are suitable. In general, such nozzles do a very good job of sawing wooden blanks.
Separately, you need to talk about discs made of a special material. Tungsten carbide. They are relatively new, but it was thanks to them that it became possible to saw wood with an angle grinder. Externally, the nozzle is a circle divided into cutting segments. That is, the teeth themselves are absent on such a circle. The big advantage of this type of circles is their high strength. The disk easily cuts wood of any strength, and even the presence of nails or other metal products in the workpiece will not interfere with its work. A tungsten carbide circle cuts small metal parts as well. The cost of such a nozzle for cutting wood is much higher than that of the previous options, but safety and high quality work with this disk are guaranteed.
Nozzles For Angle Grinder For Woodwork
The following category of wheel models for angle grinder. Peeling. These nozzles are designed for processing on the surface of the workpiece. For example, to remove bark, remove large amounts of dirt, or level the workpiece. Processing operations themselves are far safer than cutting wood. Therefore, an angle grinder for wood processing can be safely applied, but do not forget about special nozzles. It is customary to distinguish several types of peeling nozzles. Among them, peeling discs with spikes or abrasive chips can be distinguished. Abrasive cutters come in different sizes. Thanks to them, you can grind the workpiece from the end or remove the upper layers.
Also peeling nozzle options include twisted wire discs. Sometimes they are called “cord brushes.” These nozzles can be of two types. The first looks like a cup with a wire fixed to it, and the second is a disk, in which the wire is located at the edges. With these devices it is convenient to remove old paint, rust, etc. From the surface of the workpiece. Also, circles with twisted wire are used to brush the surface of a tree. This is done to give the surface the effect of antiquity. The wire nozzles themselves are a planer disc, because they perform essentially the same functions.
Among peeling nozzles emit petal circles. Such a stripping disk has on its surface several layers of sandpaper or other peeling tape. It is important to consider such an indicator as grit sandpaper. For roughing, you should use circles with coarse sandpaper. Work in such a circle is careful, as you can easily damage the surface. For more delicate and soft processing, medium- and fine-grained sandpaper is used.
Also, modern manufacturers offer in the market sticky discs. This is a fairly new nozzle model used for wood processing. The essence of this circle is the presence of Velcro on it, on which you can fix the peeling tape of any grain size. This version of the nozzle is universal, because you can put on Velcro and materials for processing metal or other surfaces.
The following category of nozzles is used for polishing or grinding wooden surfaces.
The same ones are perfect for grinding. Velcro discs or fin-shaped petal nozzles. For soft processing and polishing the surface of the tree using nozzles with felt coating. That is, such disks are a rotating circle on which there is densely pressed wool. Also, these models can be fine-haired, rough Bosch or universal. Semi-Bosch.
Such nozzles perfectly polish wooden surfaces without leaving any damage on them.
How to choose?
The basis of any quality work depends on the right tool. And the disks for the angle grinder should be given great importance, because this is the main part that will perform the processing of wood. A lot of accidents when working with an angle grinder happen precisely because of an incorrectly selected disc. Misalignment or jamming of the nozzle in the workpiece makes the angle grinder uncontrollable. It flies out of the hands and can easily cause damage. Or the disk can fall into small parts that fly apart at high speed. The consequences of such cases are the saddest. This usually happens because of nozzles with defects, chips or cracks. Therefore, for the correct selection of the saw blade, several factors must be taken into account.
- Type of work. To begin with, it is worth deciding on the type of operations for which you have to use the disk on the grinder. Varieties of circles depending on the type of work have already been presented above.
- It is necessary to take into account the diameter of the disk. Usually this indicator starts at 115 and ends at 230 mm. But nozzles of large diameter are often used for working with metal products. For working with wood, a universal option is considered to be circles with a diameter of 125 mm. This size is ideal for household work. A circle diameter of more than 150 mm is usually used by professional carpenters for work with a large surface.
- The diameter of the wheel also depends on the size of the angle grinder itself. It is advisable to install smaller diameter discs on a small angle grinder. The inner diameter of the circles may also vary, especially if the tool is old. The current standard for internal diameter is 22.2 mm.
Usually, the instructions for the tool indicate what maximum disk diameter can be installed on it. Putting a nozzle of a larger diameter is strictly prohibited.
- Number and location of teeth. This factor will depend on the type of wood with which you have to work. The universal option is a trident tooth wheel for an angle grinder. With this nozzle, you can actually cut the wood along, across, and you can also make various cuts and grooves. From the absence of chips on the material will protect the disk with alternately beveled teeth. Over, such discs are designed for processing different types of wood. Nozzles having straight teeth are recommended for work on soft wood species.
For processing chipboard, you can use discs with trapezoidal teeth.
- Disc thickness. The average thickness of the disk on an angle grinder for wood processing is 2 mm. Here it is necessary to take into account how wide the cut on the workpiece itself needs to be done. For example, when working with a chain disk, the cut will be very wide. Up to 8 mm, because the disk itself is quite wide. Therefore, for thin sections, it is worth using nozzles of small width. Accordingly, the diameter also plays a role here. The larger it is, the greater the thickness of the nozzle.
- Visual inspection If everything is decided with the type of work and the nozzle model is selected, then it is necessary to carefully examine it. No one is safe from fakes, so you should choose a disk with no external defects. Without chips, with all the teeth present, without cracks.
Among the main manufacturers supplying circles for the angle grinder to the domestic market, the following brands are worth highlighting.
- “Speedcutter Graff.” This nozzle model has three large teeth designed for woodwork and some more durable materials. It is made of tungsten carbide, therefore it is highly reliable. Even with prolonged use and strong friction against the workpiece, the disc does not heat up and does not warp.