Stihl 180 Chainsaw Starts And Stalls Cause
The chainsaw starts and stalls Reasons why the chainsaw starts and stalls immediately, does not develop speed and does not give maximum power, and their elimination
Why does a chainsaw stall under load
In some cases, the chainsaw under load is unable to work normally and simply stalls. A common reason for this behavior is improper carburetor adjustment, or air leaks through the crankshaft oil seals or carburetor gasket. And also this behavior can occur due to leaks in the carburetor.
A saw that is unable to operate under load will also be unsteady at idling. They will “float”. Diagnostics begin with a check for leaks in the crankcase and carburetor. If air leaks through the crankshaft oil seals, they must be replaced. If air leakage is detected in the carburetor, the cause can be eliminated by installing a repair kit of gaskets.
Only after the above actions have not yielded results and the engine crankcase with the carburetor is sealed, you can start adjusting the carburetor.
The reason for this algorithm is as follows, if the air leak from the crankcase is not eliminated, but the carburetor was simply adjusted to normal engine operation, then the fuel mixture will contain more fuel than is required with a sealed crankcase, which in turn will significantly increase its consumption. Also, most likely, carbon deposits will appear in the engine, which will also negatively affect the further operation of the chainsaw.
In some models of chainsaws, to ensure the operation of the fuel pump, special hoses are installed that transmit an air impulse from the engine crankcase to the carburetor fuel pump. If this hose is frayed, the saw will idle unevenly and will not operate at all under load.
, which shows how to replace a defective impulse hose with your own hands on a HUSQVARNA 142 chainsaw, can be seen below. In it step by step the process of disassembling the saw is filmed, the impulse hose is shown and the consequences of its malfunctioning HUSQVARNA 142 are discussed.
The chainsaw starts and stalls cause
Chainsaw owners sometimes have to deal with the fact that the saw, for no apparent reason, stops working normally. We will try to figure out why the chainsaw stalls under various operating modes, as well as describe how you can diagnose a malfunction, in our article.
Why does a chainsaw stall when heated
The situation in which a chainsaw starts up cold, and in the process of heating it can stall, is familiar to many who deal with them. The main reasons for this behavior of the saw are as follows.
- Defective ignition module (coil). Determine the malfunction by checking the spark first on a cold engine, and then on a hot one. If there is no spark on a hot engine, then it is worth trying to fix the problem by replacing the ignition coil.
- The carburetor of the chainsaw has an incorrect setting (fills the spark plug hot). You can determine the problem by how the saw is started on a cold one. If for a cold start it is not required to close the air damper, and the engine starts without a preliminary flash, then the fuel mixture is formed incorrectly and after the engine warms up, the fuel fills the spark plug and makes it impossible to start. The problem is eliminated by adjusting the carburetor.
- Spark plug defective. In such a situation, similar to a faulty ignition coil, the spark disappears when the engine heats up. It is worth trying to replace the spark plug with a new one, and if this does not help, then you need to check the ignition coil and the gap between it and the flywheel.
Why stalls at full speed
Very often you can hear the question why the chainsaw stalls at full speed. There may be several reasons. First, you need to consider how the saw stalled. Suppose the tool worked normally and suddenly, for no apparent reason, it suddenly stalled and the starter did not turn. In such a situation, you can be 100% sure that the chainsaw is jammed and you need to start its overhaul.
The second situation is when the Stihl 180 chainsaw worked normally, then gradually lost power in a short time and stalled, while the cylinder overheated. In this case, most likely the reason is air leaking under the rubber pipe connecting the carburetor to the cylinder or its rupture. The mixture was depleted, resulting in overheating. You can eliminate the cause by changing the branch pipe.
One of the reasons why the chainsaw does not develop speed when you press the gas, but rather stall, is a malfunction of the carburetor. Let’s say the Stihl 180 saw worked properly, and then it was put on for a long time and did not use it. After it was started, and at idle it works well, and when you press the gas it can stall. Why stalls? The reason is a sticky carburetor injector valve. Of course, this is not 100%, but the probability of such a malfunction is high. We recommend reading an article about the device and repair of the Stihl 180 carburetor.
In order to check the injector, it is necessary to remove the carburetor and disassemble it. To remove, it is necessary to unscrew the two nuts securing the air filter and carburetor, then remove the air filter and the engine control lever, while disconnecting the choke control rod from the carburetor. Next, you need to pull the carburetor towards you a little and disconnect the fuel supply hose.
Having removed the carburetor, it must be blown out and cleaned of dirt, only after that the carburetor can be unscrewed.
It is necessary to unscrew the cover of the main chamber of the carburetor, this is the one on which the compensator is installed on top. Further, using a bolt of 8 mm and a length of at least 50 mm. We knock out the valve.
After the nozzle is removed, you can blow it out with a compressor. The valve should only let air through in one direction, if you can freely blow the valve in both directions, then it is defective and must be replaced with a new one. Collecting the chainsaw after the valve has been repaired must follow the reverse order of disassembly.
You can clearly see how the carburetor is being repaired, or rather how to properly knock out the injector valve from the carburetor body by looking
Another common reason a saw can stall when revving up is air leaks into the carburetor. It is possible to check this only with a special tool, but it is worth noting that if preventive work with the carburetor has not been carried out for a long time, then a new set of gaskets can be installed in the carburetor. In some cases, this helps to solve the problem with its depressurization.
When disassembling the carburetor to replace the gaskets, you need to carefully inspect its needle valve, press the rocker arm and check its lifting. Sometimes, especially after the Stihl chainsaw has stood for a long time with fuel in the carburetor, the needle may burn to the carburetor body and not perform its functions. Simply put, the needle valve will not allow the fuel mixture to pass through. In this case, the saw will not work.
For what reasons the Stihl 180 stalls at idle or full throttle
Any tool can break and the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is no exception. Today we will try to understand such issues as: why the chainsaw stalls when the speed increases, also at idle and at full speed. Consider the options for diagnosing and eliminating malfunctions associated with this behavior of the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
The reasons why the chainsaw starts and stalls
A chainsaw has long been not a luxury, but a necessary tool for those who have a summer cottage or home ownership. But, like any other technique, this tool tends to fail, despite the simple device.
The classification of the main faults includes:
- Complete absence of engine plant
- The engine starts and stalls
- Unstable tool performance
- Work stop under load
- Loss of power.
If the chainsaw does not start at all, the reason may be:
- Manufacturing defect
- Lack of fuel
- Problems with starting the ignition system
- No spark from spark plugs
- Poor fuel mixture
- Carburetor clogged
- High voltage wire problems
- Lack of compression.
Why does the chainsaw start and stall, what to do in this case? The reasons for this need to be examined in detail.
The chainsaw starts and stalls: the reason
The reason that the chainsaw can stall right after the factory lies in the malfunction of a certain part of the equipment.
- The most commonplace reason why the chainsaw started up and stalled may be the low fuel level in the tank. This can be confirmed by stopping the operation of the tool when tilting, when fuel remains accumulate in a certain place in the fuel tank. With low-quality fuel, there may also be a problem with the operation of the chainsaw, in which case it is necessary to completely replace it.
- Clogged breather, which significantly reduces fuel consumption to the engine.
- Insufficient contact of the wire cap with the plug, which leads to strong heating of the plug insulator. Contact degradation can occur due to mechanical shear or carbon deposits.
- Broken spark plugs.
- Clogged muffler, which impairs exhaust gas output, causing the engine to stop running. For this reason, the chainsaw can start and stall at idle speed. Sediment in the muffler can also appear due to poor-quality fuel or improper use of the tool.
- Poor carburetor adjustment.
- Breakage of the piston group
- Fuel filter or pump problems. In this case, gasoline may flow through the pump or poorly flow through the fuel filter to the carburetor. As a result, the chainsaw starts and stalls when the speed increases.
- Dirty air filter. Problems with this piece of equipment lead to the fact that, with increased loads on the engine, it simply cannot cope with them due to blockage and stops. A similar result is also obtained with an increase in revolutions.
- Chain shortage due to lack of or insufficient lubrication, or a problem with the chain brake.
Why the chainsaw does not start well and stalls
In case of poor start-up of the equipment “to cold”, the problem may be lack of compression, ie rings are worn out due to a long service life, they need to be replaced. Sometimes the reason that the engine does not start well in an unheated state is a problem with the muffler, as well as poor contact between the plug and the wire.
Also, the reasons for a poor start can be wear or damage to the gasket, rubber cuff in the accelerator pump of the carburetor, which causes an additional flow of air, leading to an increase in saw speed.
Shtil chainsaw won’t start: reasons and solutions
First of all, it is worth noting the fact that the chainsaw 180 of this manufacturer is one of his best “creations”, but it also has its drawbacks. Actually, about which we will now talk.
- A fairly common problem is that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. The reason for this is that the oil that is used to lubricate the chain starts to leak. Since time is merciless and simply breaks the tightness exactly in the place where the hose from the oil pump and the oil tank is actually connected. Naturally, this problem can be solved, but, given the design of this chainsaw, it will not be so easy to do this, since you simply have to completely disassemble the device in order, as they say, to get to the right place. It can be seen more clearly: https: //www.Youtube.com/watch? V = UOsYJBOVuwg
- Many are worried about this question: why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? If you believe the experts, then in such a situation, you first need to open, and then close the lid that is on the gas tank. Or get out and dry the candle. Or try to ventilate the combustion chamber. In most cases, this kind of manipulation is enough to make the device work. But there are times when the Stihl chainsaw does not start, but there is a spark….
- In the above case, you need to make a direct checking the gas supply, air filter and the direct performance of the candle. Since the basis of this kind of breakdown is the breather, namely its pollution. Because when it is completely clogged, a kind of vacuum arises in the gas tank itself, which simply interferes with the fuel supply process. This issue is not difficult to solve, since all you need to do is clean it using a needle.
- There are also situations when the device, in principle started up, but immediately died out.
In order to exclude the saloon from damaged objects, it is necessary first of all to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor itself and actually check if fuel is leaking from it.
- You must remember that in the process of using your chainsaw correctly gasoline should flow out in a dense and stable stream. Also, it is not uncommon for the Stihl 180 chainsaw to not start up hot and actually stall after switching on or holds power for a rather short time. In this case, the problem of breakdown lies precisely in the muffler, which can be simply clogged with any deposits that arise through the operation of the device , and which settle during the exhaust process.
- Also, a fairly common cause of tool malfunction is insufficient lubrication of the device chain itself. The reason for this may be the channels that are simply clogged, or the reason is in the oil line that is leaking.
- Connecting pipes or the connections themselves in the area of the oil pump fittings can also leak.
- It happens that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start well due to cylinder that can be broken. But to determine its condition, a visual inspection is enough. But if even there you find the formation of irregularities and chips, then you can be sure that you have found the cause of the breakdown.
- If through verification you find that malfunction in the candle, then you simply need to turn it out, and then dry it directly. But it is worth noting that in no case should you pierce it, since you will simply spoil the part, and it will be unusable. You also need to drain excess fuel from it through a special hole.
Over, it may be that the expiration date of your candle has simply passed, in which case it is necessary to replace it. Therefore, it is a great advice that it is best to always have a new candle in stock or, best of all, a set. Then you can replace it at any time and actually understand whether it was the direct cause of the device breakdown. Over, a weak contact can also be the cause of a breakdown, which actually connects the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. Also, the cause may be a breakdown of the ignition unit. It is worth noting the fact that in order to eliminate this kind of problem, it is necessary to replace the unit itself, since it cannot be repaired.
- Equally important is the concern of the owners of this model regarding systematic idling after the actual gasoline first tanks are empty. But if experts in this field are to be believed, they argue that this kind of situation does not pose any problem. But still, if this kind of process is repeated quite often, then you need to simply reduce the engine speed by using the carburetor screw.
- In addition, you can personally produce cleaning the muffler itself, since the cause of the malfunction may be in it. This manipulation is not difficult. A fairly common phenomenon of poor-quality tool operation is the carburetor.
Stihl-180 does not start: reasons and remedies, why the chainsaw floods the candle, gasoline does not flow to the cold
Today, the manufacturer Stihl occupies a leading position among other companies that produce equipment for agricultural and construction work. The products of this manufacturer are famous not only for their high level of quality, but also for the optimal pricing policy and power of its models. Probably, it is quite difficult to meet a person who does not have a chainsaw of this brand. This is one of the most famous world companies. But the fact that out of ten possible, six people definitely have them. This is not surprising, since Stihl chainsaws deliver power as well as graceful design. But unfortunately, such giants of technology sometimes fail and require some kind of repair. Let’s talk about the reasons why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start.
Stihl saw winding device
The basis of a plant of this kind of model, as well as all other chainsaws, is a carburetor. But since we are talking today about the Stihl 180 chainsaw, we will not deviate from the topic. So. The carburetor in this model has a single adjusting screw, that is, it is a kind of idle stroke adjustment screw. While the fully loaded jet is stationary.
In simple terms, we can say that it simply cannot be adjusted (see here), while the full load setting simply cannot be changed. It is important that the carburetor itself at the factory was configured in such a way that regardless of the actual conditions under which the chainsaw is operated directly, the air-fuel mixture is supplied to the engine itself.