Tool for weeding with their own hands
Represents a wooden flat stick with an attachment in the form of a metal hoe. Metal construction has an irregularly curved shape. Due to the thin curves, the plates not only qualitatively eliminate weeds during weeding, but also help to plow and loosen the ground.
It is easy to perform other garden work with the help of the ploughshare. The device is equipped with several attachments. They are suitable for fine weed control and ground cultivation. This tool is very popular with gardeners and vegetable growers.
It is not difficult to make such a cultivator. Its base can be made out of a metal pipe. At the end of the underside of the tube steel bars should be welded, forming a square shape. After that the rods are bent in a spiral direction and the ends are sharpened.
As an alternative, you can use a bicycle handlebar as a lever, and instead of the metal handle set the shaft from a shovel. It will save you a lot of effort during work.
Such a machine is designed for digging various roots at great depth, for preparing holes for planting trees, etc. п. Can be used as an electrophoresis for tilling the soil with your own hands.
How to make a trowel with their own hands?
Any professional gardener and just an amateur will tell you that without a hoe it is impossible to start any gardening season. This universal tool helps us to plow the garden, get rid of weeds and take care of our crops.
Two-disc “rake” for hoeing
This device does not look like an ordinary hoe, however, it is a hoe for dipping potatoes and it has a very narrow scope of application. Used mainly to create a high ridge and cover potato bushes from frosts in the spring or to increase aeration (air exchange) of the soil. It is possible to make such a miracle of the garden very quickly and now we will consider the simplest method.
To make the base, we need an axis (10 mm rod) and supports, which will be bars of rebar M 8. The axle is the center of the structure, it will be at an angle of 45 0 two fittings departing from it to one side and 2 to the other. The ends of the armature are connected with a thick pipe, approximately 25-30 mm in diameter. these will be 2 handles of our device. The edges of the opposite handles will be connected to each other by a metal square 15×15 mm, connecting rods will be welded together every 40-50 centimeters to increase the stiffness.
Instead of the usual rubber wheels, which quickly wear out when working, you can use metal discs. The easiest way to get them is to take them from a disc grain seeder. Every farmer throws them out by the dozens every year. Exactly such “scraps” will be suitable for our machine, we take directly with the bearing group. We put them on a tapered axle, screw them on with a nut. As a result we have a little crooked wheels (if they are flat, you need to bend the axis to make the wheels stand at an angle of at least 15 0).
The double blade blade blade should be used by two people at the same time, because it would be hard to work with one person at a time. After you pull it across the row, the discs will form a ridge of earth under the bushes. The closer the discs are to the row, the bigger the ridge. It is desirable that they are not closer than 10 centimeters from the stem, so as not to damage the plants. If the ridge will be small, you can deepen the disc with a special weight that hangs on the reinforcements of the frame.
If everything is done correctly, we have a construction that looks like this (see the picture). figure), only much lighter, so that you can comfortably hoe the bushes without the use of a handyman. It is possible to make a weeder on one side only if you do not foresee the possible help of an auxiliary worker.
What tools are available for weeding
Each gardener chooses his device for weeding, finding in it a lot of advantages. The device itself is always used for the same purpose, to physically remove weeds from the area. Even if you remove only the top stems and leaves of the weed, sooner or later the root system will be depleted and die. Any plant needs leaves, sunlight and the process of photosynthesis, without this, it can not develop and live simply. If you destroy the weed in time, before the seeds appear, you can keep your plot clean.
But if you ask any gardener how he feels about weeding, you probably won’t hear enthusiastic stories, it’s pretty monotonous and difficult work. Especially if we’re talking about large plots. Sometimes you have to pick up a bed tool and do the weeding for days on end. But it’s important to choose the weed remover that works best for you. The better the device, the more pleasant it is for you to remove weeds from your vegetable garden. There is quite a large selection of different devices on the market today. In particular, such a dacha tool for removing weeds is the most in demand:
- Hoe or sapa. this is the most common device for weeding beds, which probably everyone has on the dacha plot. The sapa can be triangular, trapezoidal or rectangular, depending on the shape of the tip. In fact, it is a very simple tool, there is a handle of a certain length, and at the end there is a metal blade of a certain shape. The blade should be sharp, so that the gardener can cut the plant with a simple movement. When choosing a hoe, you should give priority to the quality metal of the tip and the optimal length of the handle, it should not be too short, but also not too long.
- A special rake to remove weeds. this is already a less common tool among gardeners, but you can easily buy it at any garden center. The main advantage of a rake is that it makes it possible to keep a large area clean with a minimum of effort. On the end of the rake there are metal pins with sharpening, which easily enter deep into the soil. By raking the bed, you cut the weeds with the roots, which get stuck between the tines. Thus it turns out to reduce the intensity of new sprouting of undesirable plants.
- The root puller cultivator is a unique weeding tool that is used extensively by experienced vegetable gardeners and dacha farmers. The main point is that this device for weeding beds makes it possible to fight bush weeds, which quickly regenerate after the removal of the top. By grasping the handy handle, you can get to the root of the plant, twist the underside under the soil, thus winding the root onto the tool. You get almost the entire root of the plant out, which means no chance for it to survive. This hand-held root puller won’t be ideal when dealing with simple weeds in a large area, but if you need to remove a root, it’s sure to come in handy.
- Small hand fork. this tool for weeding the vegetable garden is used by gardeners, where the plot is small. A hand fork is only 25-30 cm long, it consists of a handy wooden or plastic handle, and at the end there is a metal three-fingered fork. Best of all, this tool for removing weed roots will come in handy for those who work in flower beds. You can gently remove only the root of the weed, without damaging the crop. If the area is large, it is not very convenient to weed with a tool of this type.
- Fokin’s weeder is an interesting tool for weeding seedbeds, which is gaining popularity among dacha owners with small vegetable gardens. There is a small width metal blade on the end of the weeder, it easily goes under the ground to a depth of up to 5 cm. Pulling this tool under the soil, the gardener has only to collect on the surface all the pulled roots of the weeds. Since the blade is narrow, it turns out to provide maximum accuracy in fighting weeds.
Step by step: we make a hoe from the blade of an old saw
Experienced gardeners recommend using hacksaw blades as material for making professional garden tools. This metal has a lot of advantages, especially higher strength, elasticity, resistance to abrasion. One sharpening will be enough for almost the whole season, even with “active operations” on the bed. Let’s take a closer look at how to make this miracle tool in a few minutes.
We take an unnecessary old wood saw and finish it off. The blade should be of optimal length to work not only comfortably, but also productively. It is believed that the most suitable length. 25 centimeters, but you can make a little wider or narrower. depends on the physical fitness of the owner of this treasure. Take an angle grinder, the thinnest sanding disc and make a cut at an angle of 45 0 to the teeth of the saw, so that this side is shorter. This is done to reduce the weight of the metal without reducing the work area.
Step back 2 centimeters from the side of the teeth, take a drilling machine, drill 3-4 holes at a distance of 3-4 centimeters, so they are evenly spaced along the entire length. Similar holes need to be made in the metal angle with 20×20 cm shelves, so they fit the ones you made near the teeth.
We take a metal tube with a diameter of 30 mm and a length of 25 cm. It is desirable that it be thick. Hammer one edge, should come out 4-5 centimeters of usable area. Here you will need to drill 2 holes on the M8 to tighten the angle with bolts. Now we twist everything, we get a blade with teeth, screwed to the angle that is attached to the pipe.
Material you can choose at your discretion. It can be an ordinary pine, oak, maple, ash, or even larch. as long as you feel comfortable holding it. The workpiece should be a diameter of 3.5 cm, then sharpen one edge on the emery wheel (you can simply cut it gently with a knife), hammer it into the pipe. To prevent it from “running” back, you need to drill a 6 mm hole in the pipe: you can drill through and take on the bolt together with the workpiece, you can drill only the metal at 2.5 mm, then hammer in a nail with a diameter of 2.6 to 3 mm, so that it fits in the metal and the wood very snugly.
It will be much more convenient to work when the tool is fully assembled. Now you can take an angle grinder, cut off the “top” of the blade, which is a few dozen teeth. Some gardeners leave them on purpose, use this surface to loosen the top layer of soil after the rain. very effective. With the help of a grinding disc sharpen the working blade. Then you can “fit” it with regular files. A homemade hoe is very light, sharp, and durable.
Weed extractor manufacturing technology
A device made by your own hands will be reliable and durable. So, you can get rid of not only the tops of weeds, but also their roots. So, to make a weed extractor you need a tubular body, which will have a cutting part made in the form of a trough with sharp edges. On the opposite side, a wooden handle will be inserted into the weed extractor, which will be secured with a screw through a hole in the metal.
Materials and Tools
You can make such a device out of a scrap pipe, which has a diameter of 2540 mm. Piece of driftwood can be used as a handle. Of the tools you will need:
- Drill bit.
- Angle grinder with a cutting disc.
- Measuring elbow.
Procedure for manufacturing
Now let’s proceed to the technological process. First, read the layout diagram of the weed extractor. This will help you determine the exact size and shape of the tool, which will make the process of making the puller quick and easy.
- According to the drawing, mark out the steel tube and cut it to length and shape according to the drawing.
- First secure the tube and make 2 longitudinal cuts with an angle grinder. You can remove the excess metal with a crosswise slanting cut.
- Now cut the end of the chute at an angle of 35º.
- Remove the burrs with a file.
- Grind the working part of the tool on the inside. Finish the bottom edge with a half-round file.
- Now drill a hole for the screw to fix the handle. Sand the root puller with sandpaper.
- And in the final step, insert the handle into the rooter and screw in the screw.
This will allow you to remove weeds without damaging the roots of the plants you are growing and without destroying nearby soil layers.
To remove the weed, stick the rooter into the ground near the root of the plant, loosen the ground around it, turning the tool slightly in the direction toward and away from yourself. Then lift the plant with the soil slightly with the soil extractor and pull it out of the ground with your hand.
A self-made device is guaranteed to be a reliable and durable helper. The main feature and advantage of the tool. it allows you to get rid of both “tops” and “roots”. In general, a homemade root cutter is a device consisting of a tube body with a sharp cutting part and a handle. The working part looks like a groove. On the back side there is a wooden handle, secured with a screw. It is fastened through a hole in the metal.
What to prepare
You can use a piece of pipe as the base of the working part. It should be between 25 and 40 mm in diameter. The basis for the handle can be a part of the cuttings. For the work will be required:
If you follow the scheme, the process will go easier. By it you can accurately determine the size and shape of the homemade.
Referring to the drawing, it is necessary to make a marking on the steel tube and cut it to the desired length and shape. Further sequence of operations looks like this:
- first, the tube is fixed, then two longitudinal cuts are made on it with an angle grinder. to create a groove, part of the material is removed with a cross-slanted cut;
- Then the end of the cut-out is cut at an angle of 35º;
- burrs are removed with a file;
- the inner working part is sharpened, the lower edge is machined with a semicircular file;
- Drill the hole for the screw to fix the handle;
- the metal part of the piece is sanded with an emery cloth;
- the handle is inserted into the working part; the screw is screwed in.
Having constructed such a home-made tool, you can get rid of weeds, while leaving the roots of cultivated plants growing nearby intact. In addition, such processing does not destroy the adjacent land layers.
The principle of operation is simple. to remove weeds it is necessary to stick the puller in the ground directly near its root. Then loosen the ground around it by moving the root remover back and forth a little. Then you need a device to lift the grass with the soil a little and, grasping it with your hand, pull it out.
Rake, as a rule, is used for harvesting grass clippings. But they can also help control weeds, especially in lawns. They are excellent at removing creeping plants and those with surface roots. The sharp ends of the rake pick up such weeds, and the lawn is not damaged, because the grass has a strong root system. A rake is useless against thistle or dandelion.
Root removers, as their name implies, allow you to remove the roots of weeds that go deep into the ground. It has many modifications, in the form of:
- an elongated trowel. its end is pointed, blunt or split. using the handle to press the ground close to the root of the weed to be removed, then picking it up from the soil;
- v-shaped fork. allows you to grasp the root more firmly;
- Corkscrew. screw under the plant and roots, pull out.
Now there are new modifications, where there is a foot stop. Such a device is driven into the ground when your foot presses on it, like a pedal. The steel tines are clamped around the weed and pull it out by a sharp movement. Then the tool is released from the removed plant by a pushing movement.
This is certainly a useful device, but they are good only for processing individual weeds.